Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Game owns - took this screen last night. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Genocyber posted:

Someone earlier in the thread was asking about whether you need PS+ or not, and according to the official FAQ you do not.

e: Also this FAQ is super thorough. If you have a question about the game mechanics it's probably not a bad idea to check it first.

Apparently there are premade teams for pvp. Is there a team that goons are all joining up?

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

lets hang out posted:

maybe defenders would have a chance if they didn't take turns coming at you lol
They're actually on a timer, so if you take too long killing any you'll soon be facing multiple opponents.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My defenses are impregnable
My arms are tired
The top ranked team in my rival state is a guy with 5 pickaxes.
He's hard to assault because you need to be patient against them, Ai's with pickaxes block a lot and will win trades. By the time you get one down to about half a second pickaxe dude comes out and eventually you get swamped.

It's a funny defense but anyone who's passed floor 10 and has access to better weaponry eats right through him.
Still, if your worried about invasions try a pickaxe squad.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

The Gorp posted:

The top ranked team in my rival state is a guy with 5 pickaxes.
He's hard to assault because you need to be patient against them, Ai's with pickaxes block a lot and will win trades. By the time you get one down to about half a second pickaxe dude comes out and eventually you get swamped.

It's a funny defense but anyone who's passed floor 10 and has access to better weaponry eats right through him.
Still, if your worried about invasions try a pickaxe squad.

I ran into a pickax squad earlier, it was the only time I've lost because I didn't realize defenders were on a timer. Instead of worrying, I'm just spending all my poo poo before I log off.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Reading that FAQ I learned two things:

1) If you stay on a level too long it spawns powerful enemies to come kill you. Of course it does.

2) The PvP sounds loving HORRIBLE.

Everything about this seems like they looked at the "gently caress you" elements of the Souls series and then slathered some lovely F2P goo on it. I've enjoyed the few hours I've played so far and I look forward to continuing on, but the janky mechanics and the downright aggressively bad F2P creep make me really question how long I'll stick with this game.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
I haven't had a Jackal spawn yet and I'll probably try to trigger one deliberately sooner or later because their gear looks fuckin sweeet

I still haven't needed to make an in-game purchase, but the bosses seem custom-built to make you chew through continues like mad so I don't know how much longer that's going to last.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
I've never stayed in a level long enough for Jackals to come after me, and Ive been in some areas for more than 15 minutes.
As for raiding, its actually a nice cash boost when you need it - just dont quit the game with a maxed out bank account.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Cool, game, just spawn a Level 27 hater for my new level 1 duder. That's definitely fair.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

BlackFrost posted:

Cool, game, just spawn a Level 27 hater for my new level 1 duder. That's definitely fair.

It's really not as bad as it looks. Levels or not, they're as stupid as any other AI opponent.

Save your complaints for the post-floor 10 Hater spawns. I'm getting more and more with loving assault rifles and full tactical armor. Only benefit there is they clear out entire rooms on their own before making their way to me.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

well they are smarter than regular enemies, they can even pick up equipment and use it

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Haters aren't really a problem, there are some tubers I would rather face over them.
- They can be suplexed
- Sleep/poison works
- They often have guns and can just be beat up with (attack attack pause) chains

Granted, the wrong type of hater in the wrong zone is frustrating. But this isn't borderlands, a lvl 1 can beat a lvl 50 in 8 unarmed hits and a finisher.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

i've walked around the corner into haters and been shot in the face for 600+ damage and stunned :qq:

Orv
May 4, 2011
Wait is this using the same 'PvP' system that weird giant dudes Diablo thing did where your guy is basically an AI entity that gets attacked/attacks players while you're off doing other poo poo?

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
The feeling of detachment and general weirdness of the game reminds me a whole lot of Contact on the DS especially with the use of decals. I don't mind much that Suda 51 isn't really taking the lead on new games since it seems that he's amassed a team that really gets the Grasshopper feel and "polish". Had fun with the game, only played it for like an hour.

Any word on how it's being recieved in Japan?

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

Orv posted:

Wait is this using the same 'PvP' system that weird giant dudes Diablo thing did where your guy is basically an AI entity that gets attacked/attacks players while you're off doing other poo poo?

What game are you talking about? But no. It's Souls-esque in that when you die you basically create a red phantom that can either be killed by someone else when it pops into their game, OR you can go back to where you die and kill it yourself. The raiding is not passive, you have to actively go attack someone else's stuff.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
So do the side-paths ever link back to the Waiting Room? Or just within themselves? I just went off to that alternate 2F route and the elevator there doesn't take me anywhere yet.

e: Also, how exactly does staggering work? The tutorial says you just hit enemies a whole bunch and eventually they stagger so you can use the gore finisher, or whatever. So far triggering it seems totally random, but for the most part I kill enemies long before they enter this state.

BlackFrost fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 6, 2016

Orv
May 4, 2011

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

What game are you talking about? But no. It's Souls-esque in that when you die you basically create a red phantom that can either be killed by someone else when it pops into their game, OR you can go back to where you die and kill it yourself. The raiding is not passive, you have to actively go attack someone else's stuff.

Ascend: Hand of Kul. Basically the PvP in that game was your current character (the game was centered around restarting with accumulating bonuses) would appear to defend any altars someone tried to take from you.

Good to know though, thanks.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

I'm thinking he means Diablo 3's Nemesis system -- an enemy that kills you can be promoted into a named enemy and sent to a friend's game for the chance for HOT LOOTS.

e: fb, and wrong, too! nice me. that sounds kinda rad tho

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

BlackFrost posted:

So do the side-paths ever link back to the Waiting Room? Or just within themselves? I just went off to that alternate 2F route and the elevator there doesn't take me anywhere yet.

e: Also, how exactly does staggering work? The tutorial says you just hit enemies a whole bunch and eventually they stagger so you can use the gore finisher, or whatever. So far triggering it seems totally random, but for the most part I kill enemies long before they enter this state.

i've explored a ton of the first 10 floors and still haven't found another purple elevator so i'm betting it connects large distances. you do find some escalators that bring you back to the central blue line.

anyone know where the sticker stations for 6F through 8F are?

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG
Aug 7, 2013
Just checked on the official Twitter and apparently the game went straight to English and is getting a Japanese port soon, that sounds extremely bonkers but I guess That's Just Grasshopper

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bogart posted:

I'm thinking he means Diablo 3's Nemesis system -- an enemy that kills you can be promoted into a named enemy and sent to a friend's game for the chance for HOT LOOTS.

e: fb, and wrong, too! nice me. that sounds kinda rad tho

It was made by the Toy Soldiers people, and is now dead in favor of their terrible survive-em-up. :smith:

Teslavi
May 28, 2006
Ridiculous.

This was the first premium decal I got from mushroom stew, and this thing is borderline broken, at least for the early game. Whenever you get poisoned, you get a 30s regen instead. Snails are my best friend.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Thats a rad rear end decal, my stews have been duds sofar.
On an aside I want to reemphasize something.

If you are facing an AI that blocks, attack twice and then pause before attacking twice again.
The AI is super waiting for the third "punishable on block" strike and you can keep it blue balled to death.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Anyone able to complete the armor limit quest for going from IKEGARA to IMOKAWA-CHO? Trying to figure out if it's just glitched or there's something I'm screwing up (for instance no armor meaning not even in your inventory).

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

DrNutt posted:

Anyone able to complete the armor limit quest for going from IKEGARA to IMOKAWA-CHO? Trying to figure out if it's just glitched or there's something I'm screwing up (for instance no armor meaning not even in your inventory).
I've tried this several times. I've read you have to clear both floors (as in, it should say "climb through IKEGARA and IMOKAWA-CHO"), but no luck. Apparently it might work if you go back and forth a few times, but I haven't bothered to try that.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Jackals finally got me so here's some info.

-When the Jackals enter an alarm goes off notifying you
-Jackals walk alone (not in groups) and move very slowly
-Jackals are lvl 200 and are absolutely bonkers to try to kill. One swing from them did 15,993 damage to my lvl 49.
-When you die to the Jackals you cannot use a death medal, instead a cutscene plays where your body is taken by the Jackal that killed you
-Jackale'd characters will not roam as Haters, and must be bought back with Kill Coins or abandoned

I would imagine finding a place where you could environment kill them is the best way to go if you ever really tried to kill them, as it stands the game isn't kidding.
Do not fight these guys unless you're somehow post-game and want an insanely stupid challenge.

PBnJamo
Feb 11, 2014
Sounds like something end game for sure. If there isn't a whole big plus game where you keep getting higher and higher ranked poo poo. I only just started doing the second set of floors, 11+, and I was getting beaten pretty badly until I found some plans. However, even then you seem to die a lot easier compared to the lower levels. Machetes are terrifying to deal, they do so much damage. Luckily, if you do get the jungle machete blueprint, you can upgrade to jungle machete E and bring it back.

I started to upgrade random junk in case they are worth it later on. That machete is the only notable one with easier mats, I keep getting gated by various green metals with the other stuff.

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
More friendly tips so you avoid my suffering.

Weapons on higher floors get stronger and stronger. Consequentially, they don't drop to the player at anything close to the rate they did on lower floors.
What's more, unless you have high Dex and Con theres a large chance you wont be able to equip the weapon at all. What this means is two things:

1. I know it sucks to lose money from raids, but get in the habit of staying in the green. You will eventually have to spend 10,000 gold per expedition if you want your character to survive.
2. Get a good weapon blueprint, buff it, and get your masteries in it. You can totally survive going in with nothing on lower floors but the higher you go the more it boils down to what you bring in.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Well, that was a nice set of login and bonus rewards.

4x Death Metal
1x Express Pass Taster
3x Death Metal
1x Death Metal

This is the second Express Pass Taster I've gotten too. They seem pretty generous with the rewards and compensations, which is good. My storage box is up to 150 slots from free Death Metal upgrades so far.

Also got Flame Wand blueprint from today's Uncle Prime.

gibbed fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Dec 6, 2016

The Gorp
Jan 7, 2013

My style is impetuous,
My arms are tired
Again, they give you so much great free stuff its hard to see the point in supporting the makers.
If only they were more evil.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
From what you described it sounds like the freemium strategy of easy early game, then add a difficulty spike later on so that the players are already invested and are tempted to spend money when they stop progressing at a decent rate. That hasn't worked on me in other f2p games I've played since I just stopped playing when I hit a progression wall and got frustrated

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

The Gorp posted:

Again, they give you so much great free stuff its hard to see the point in supporting the makers.
If only they were more evil.
The elevator pass is probably the long term draw, if you can use the elevator for free you can go collect poo poo and backtrack without worrying about the cost. Normally you would waste money if you kept going back and forth, and you inevitably end up trashing a lot of stuff that you could have sold.

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
1) What's the trigger for opening the red door on the first floor? I want to see where that escalator goes.

2) When an enemy is "groggy" that's the blue sweat drops, right? I had that happen at least two or three times last night and instead of doing a goretastic attack my character just did a rage attack.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Beating the midboss on 3F lets you open that door

When an enemy is groggy a big triangle prompt shows up in the middle of the screen, can't miss it

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Rescue Raids just isolate players with kidnapped fighters, right?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

ACOPKILLEDMYDOG posted:

Just checked on the official Twitter and apparently the game went straight to English and is getting a Japanese port soon, that sounds extremely bonkers but I guess That's Just Grasshopper

I was going to ask what Uncle Death sounds like in Japanese but I guess the answer is he doesn't.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
UD is great. All the goofing off he does in the background. :allears:

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
This is the only game I haven't turned off controller audio for because drat does it feel good when Uncle Death cheers you for getting a goretastic kill

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Beating the midboss on 3F lets you open that door

When an enemy is groggy a big triangle prompt shows up in the middle of the screen, can't miss it

Ah, cool.

Except it doesn't show up if you keep hitting them, and every time I stop to see if I can do it all it does is a rage attack and they aren't stunned. I need to know what the visual tell is other than a prompt that only pops up if you completely stop. That's the little blue drops, right?

• Locked thread