Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Jonny 290 posted:

Where do you see yourself in five years?

last time i got this question i said "i would like to be an astronaut" and got an offer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Fallen Hamprince posted:

as a grad student the mere thought of seeking employment fills me with dread and terror, ama

i'm writing my masters thesis send help

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

lmao I can't even imagine the worst helicopter parent sitting in on an irl job interview :o:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

in a sing-song marketing director voice "your network is your net worth"

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

my new job owns i recommend spending a bit over the alloted time on takehome projects but putting extra polish on it to make it worth it

same except the exact opposite. if someone gives you a takehome project tell them that your time has value and they can shove it up their rear end.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

C.H.O.M.E posted:

last time i got this question i said "i would like to be an astronaut" and got an offer

the irony is that, at least for some time in the 90s (not sure if still the case), NASA was actually most interested in people who were relatively indifferent about becoming an astronaut

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

George posted:

ive never heard of this before

is it like tagging in or like you get to defer one question to your bro pete

no they just kinda sit there judging you judging them [usually their child/grandchild]

hey only speak up when the candidate get stumped on one of our super hard questions and they will say things like "you can do it!" and maybe say a couple of audible cues but they rarely speak. just stare at you

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

The Management posted:

same except the exact opposite. if someone gives you a takehome project tell them that your time has value and they can shove it up their rear end.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Trump is going to murder unions lmao

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BONGHITZ posted:

you must be confused, this is a subforum for computer touchers.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BONGHITZ posted:

how can you kill that which is already dead

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

actually, interviewing and job hunting owns because it's the best way to get a 40% salary bump

There is like a trio of banks in my city with a lot of tech jobs, its very common for people to just ping pong between them. It's always the fastest way to promotion

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i got my job via cronyism

Fallen Hamprince
Nov 12, 2016

Jonny 290 posted:

how can you kill that which is already dead

everytime you whisper the phrase 'national right to work legislation' paul ryan gets a boner

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Valeyard posted:

There is like a trio of banks in my city with a lot of tech jobs, its very common for people to just ping pong between them. It's always the fastest way to promotion

we widely acknowledge internally that our fastest promotion track is to leave and come back in a year

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Bloody posted:

we widely acknowledge internally that our fastest promotion track is to leave and come back in a year

this sort of thing bothers me immensely but i don't really know why or specifically what about it does so

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

it suggests that the organization knows it undervalues its employees and doesnt care at all because the organization is rotting

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

usually you can get a good bump simply by getting another offer and having your employer match it. assuming you want to stay, that is.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Bloody posted:

it suggests that the organization knows it undervalues its employees and doesnt care at all because the organization is rotting

I sort of meant the overall practice of jumping jobs for a paybump, rather than organizational outlook on said

dunno why it bothers me, it's not like i give any real shits about "company loyalty" or w/e, but it does :shrug:

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I sort of meant the overall practice of jumping jobs for a paybump, rather than organizational outlook on said

it's the only way to get one nowadays tho unless you're extremely lucky.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

jony neuemonic posted:

it's the only way to get one nowadays tho unless you're extremely lucky.

yeah, i haven't seen a raise above cost-of-living in five years, and i'm doing better than some of my coworkers in that regard

so yeah my feelings make no goddamn sense, business as usual

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i got a 50% bump on my last job change :smugdog:

and i was still underpaid. i was just EXTREMELY underpaid at old job, lmao. they gave me another 20% last year, and 5% the year before that tho.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody posted:

my last job did this constantly. it was hilariously demoralizing since the returning employee was rarely qualified for the new position and was usually chosen over someone internal who was now being managed by said returning employee

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

The Management posted:

usually you can get a good bump simply by getting another offer and having your employer match it. assuming you want to stay, that is.

If i have to threaten to quit to get that raise out of you, you're just going to find a way to get rid of me anyways and its and admission that you were paying me less than you thought i was worth. Companies expect this weird samurai loyalty ityool 2016 (like the old days) despite not having labor organization or pensions (like the old days)

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Ciaphas posted:

dunno why it bothers me, it's not like i give any real shits about "company loyalty" or w/e, but it does :shrug:

the reason they do it is simple: it takes effort to switch jobs and no effort to stay where you are. many people are unwilling or unable to put in that effort and will live with small raises. if you gave decent raises then you would have to pay everyone more, even the ones that aren't willing to jump.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya. its insanely stupid on the company's part. long-tenured employees are good because they build up loads of institutional knowledge but if you don't promote people and the only way to get raises is to leave welp you're gonna lose that institutional knowledge over and over

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Bloody posted:

you're gonna lose that institutional knowledge over and over

this was something else my last job was super good at doing

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jonny 290 posted:

If i have to threaten to quit to get that raise out of you, you're just going to find a way to get rid of me anyways and its and admission that you were paying me less than you thought i was worth. Companies expect this weird samurai loyalty ityool 2016 (like the old days) despite not having labor organization or pensions (like the old days)

you're making it too dramatic. this isn't a breakup. you tell your boss that you have a better offer. if he wants to retain you, he will work to get you the terms you need to stay. it's not his money, he doesn't give a poo poo if the company cuts you a bigger check every pay period. in fact, most bosses would be happy to pay their employees more if they found a justification for it that goes around HR's compensation restrictions. this is that kind of excuse.

there are two caveats. one is that you have to be fairly sure they want to retain you. and two, you can't bluff. if they fold you have to take the other offer or you will be their bitch from then on.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

lol, just lol if people arent throwing job offers at you non-stop with no interview

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

The Management posted:

you're making it too dramatic. this isn't a breakup. you tell your boss that you have a better offer. if he wants to retain you, he will work to get you the terms you need to stay. it's not his money, he doesn't give a poo poo if the company cuts you a bigger check every pay period. in fact, most bosses would be happy to pay their employees more if they found a justification for it that goes around HR's compensation restrictions. this is that kind of excuse.

there are two caveats. one is that you have to be fairly sure they want to retain you. and two, you can't bluff. if they fold you have to take the other offer or you will be their bitch from then on.

I've seen this story play out over and over. you will never see a raise with the current company. ever.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Boiled Water posted:

I've seen this story play out over and over. you will never see a raise with the current company. ever.

I've done this successfully and know others who have.

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

The Management posted:

I've done this successfully and know others who have.

i guess nobody really wanted to retain Boiled Water

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

i am intermittently bored as gently caress at my job but looking for a new one is such a tedious exercise ive pretty much done nothing about it for like 2+ years now

like, there's nothing actively bad about my current job but god drat i have been doing it for so long i think im institutionalised or something

edit: it's this:

Bloody posted:

long-tenured employees are good because they build up loads of institutional knowledge but if you don't promote people and the only way to get raises is to leave welp you're gonna lose that institutional knowledge over and over

except i do get pay rises so i go "oh well i guess ill stick around then" and here i still am

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

ya it's also a problem if you're bored but if you're being paid competitively then well it could be worse

burning swine
May 26, 2004

Boiled Water posted:

It does happen. I got 40% just for casually mentioning that I might want to start looking for new work. Timing is the most important bit - if the company is already suffering from an intellectual exodus, now's the time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

liberal arts college interviewer: "ok, so this is my first time doing this, but ill do my best."

me: "ok"

interviewer: "so, if you could have any superpower, what would it be"

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

true story

interviewer: what kind of work environment are you most successful in?

me: i think i perform best on projects with rapid turnaround where i can quickly get feedback on the results of my work

interviewer: son this is a FDA-regulated medical implant company

me (internally): :shrek:

(did not get called back)

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

my dumbest interview was an on-site where i was "interviewed" by a fresh-out kid with a bachelor's in mechanical engineering who had been hired for a programming job and started 3 days prior and did not know anything about programming or interviewing and was supposed to be interviewing me for a programming job

it was a dumb waste of an hour but i did get the offer which i declined because l o l

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

BONGHITZ posted:

good

• Locked thread