Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'm looking to replace some switches from different garbage manufacturers with some higher density good switches. i need 3x 48 port 1Gb and 1x 10Gb 48 port SFP. Is there a solution that will let me centrally manage the different models, and have a web interface that's not terrible trash?

ask me about using netgear in a corporate environment and ibm switches that don't tell you what devices are connected to its ports

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Raere posted:

Is there a solution that will let me centrally manage the different models, and have a web interface that's not terrible trash?

no.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
if you really want central management of access ports just get one really big switch and run the cables further

and don't use the web interface
nothing has a web interface that works

trilljester
Dec 7, 2004

The People's Tight End.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

if you really want central management of access ports just get one really big switch and run the cables further

and don't use the web interface
nothing has a web interface that works

agreed. I remember when I somehow crashed one of our Procurve switches from the trash java web ui. Not sure how that even happens, but it did.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
you're gonna be learning ios soon eough

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
just get ciscos.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Jonny 290 posted:

just get ciscos.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqMDF5NLi_M

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Jonny 290 posted:

just get ciscos.

yeah but you have to get the right ciscos if you want that web management poo poo

idk if any have it

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
the best dumbswitches were hp procurve

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
web ui for network is gross. get thee balls deep in ios and let the joy of the neckbeard flow through you

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HmtTInzE-jE

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

i dont need any advanced features just switching with bonding, cisco feels like overkill.
what about dell switches? they seem ok

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.

graph posted:

its me. I'm the best dumbswitch.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Raere posted:

theyre just rebranded linksys

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
i thought this was gonna be another keyboard sperg thread

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

cisco are good, if you want a ui then buy meraki.

2960l have a point and click web interface but are also catalysts, dunno how bad they are though.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

graph posted:

Real women have Procurves.

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Raere posted:

I'm looking to replace some switches from different garbage manufacturers with some higher density good switches. i need 3x 48 port 1Gb and 1x 10Gb 48 port SFP. Is there a solution that will let me centrally manage the different models, and have a web interface that's not terrible trash?

ask me about using netgear in a corporate environment and ibm switches that don't tell you what devices are connected to its ports

Big fan of whatever they put in the Matias Quiet Key Pro, op

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Cherry MX browns are still to loud imho

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
don't buy a ubiquiti switch, their routers are good though

yes i would like a 48 port "enterprise" "managed" "layer 3" switch that only support 16 routes

du -hast
Mar 12, 2003

BEHEAD THOSE WHO INSULT GENTOO

Jonny 290 posted:

just get ciscos.

unfortunately this is the correct and only answer if you want to do this and not shoot yourself in the head trying to set it up.

junipers are OK too, but in the end, cisco is the one

EDIT: DO NOT GET DELL SWITCHES. THEY ARE GARBAGE, FINICKY, AND DIFFICULT TO USE.

I work at a datacenter and the best way to ruin my day is to configure a Dell switch.

Ciscos are really the best option here man, IOS is relatively easy to use once you get the hang of it, and they support bonding and SFP. Dell is a horrible, horrible idea unless you are planning on committing suicide.

If you really want something cheaper than Ciscos, go with Junipers. They're kinda funky but they get the job done.

Do not use a Dell switch.

i even went to the trouble of finding this image w/r/t Dell switches:

du -hast fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 6, 2016

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

legit procures are ok but the problem is that hp have bought so many switch companies and done gently caress all work to integrate them that its a lucky dip if you're getting something decent or some 3com trash.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Raere posted:

i dont need any advanced features just switching with bonding, cisco feels like overkill.

I've used the n4000's and whatever the ones in the embedded FX2 platform and they are both Very Nice. Borat I Like.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

aren't they force10 as opposed to whatever trash they used for their powerconnect range

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Yeah, anything in the N2/3/4xxx series and the embedded stuff is Force10 and has been gr8

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
what does goggle/heroku/yahoo/facebook use?

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica
paging mononcqc

Dolomite
Jul 26, 2000
Cars & Legs

meraki's web interface isn't any good, just get cisco

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Jonny 290 posted:

web ui for network is gross. get thee balls deep in ios and let the joy of the neckbeard flow through you

IOS, case sensitivity matters here lol

anyway the answer is cisco, juniper if you have a hateboner for cisco, and all central management platforms for this stuff blow and you don't need it for four switches anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

i run an enterasys shop, they are p good and p good value but i'm also in edu

also the moment you configure routing you might as well be in a cisco anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

furthermore, the switch you're really looking for is -rf i.e. rm -rf /your/posts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
the best switches are saia-burgess low force microswitches, op

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007

Raere posted:

If that's all you are doing then get the dell switches. I can confirm that they are ok. But if you are coinfiguring routing get Cisco. ( Capt. Foo is correct)

If you are on a scrub budget then buy some NOS (new old stock) switches from whichever manufacturer doesn't have "Link" or "gear" in their name.

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Captain Foo posted:

furthermore, the switch you're really looking for is -rf i.e. rm -rf /your/posts

loving owned :thurman:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

switchtalk: what is the oem for about a million rebadged *~sdn~* switches? i think people like dell use them and they run linux.

Duke Thompson
Jul 24, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

switchtalk: what is the oem for about a million rebadged *~sdn~* switches? i think people like dell use them and they run linux.

Not 100% positive but I think what you are thinking of is Broadcom for the boards and some VxWorks for the OS

Incomplete Fish
Apr 22, 2006

Grimey Drawer
*ctrl-f's for "mikrotik", no results*

My man, how do you feel about Latvian networking equipment?

It's Good. look into the cloud core switches

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah we had an rb333 in the bus with a 5.8 card and i'm thinking of just taking it out of there and putting it up here at home cause man, that thing ruled. I set it up once and didnt touch it one time for 2 years and it never had to be rebooted or anything, ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

I'd like a 10gige hub

• Locked thread