Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

quote this if ou said saia burgess microswitches im tim tyler and this is my keyboiard in the tim tyler voice when u read this post

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

HAVE YOU TRIED CHERRY MX CLEAR SWITCHES, OP

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
the man machine interface - tim tyler, my keyboard

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

nvm SmokaPandaMan got this covered 👌

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

du -hast posted:

unfortunately this is the correct and only answer if you want to do this and not shoot yourself in the head trying to set it up.

junipers are OK too, but in the end, cisco is the one

EDIT: DO NOT GET DELL SWITCHES. THEY ARE GARBAGE, FINICKY, AND DIFFICULT TO USE.

I work at a datacenter and the best way to ruin my day is to configure a Dell switch.

Ciscos are really the best option here man, IOS is relatively easy to use once you get the hang of it, and they support bonding and SFP. Dell is a horrible, horrible idea unless you are planning on committing suicide.

If you really want something cheaper than Ciscos, go with Junipers. They're kinda funky but they get the job done.

Do not use a Dell switch.

i even went to the trouble of finding this image w/r/t Dell switches:

i agree with this post

im at a place that's mostly juniper now so im a little biased but i like juniper better than cisco

get a qfx5100 for your 10 gig needs if you can get a nice discount and an ex or whatever for your 1 gigs

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

anytime i overhear someone i work with dealing with someone that bought dell switches i just laugh

i dont think those pieces of poo poo follow any IEEE/IEFT standards properly, ive seen some weird rear end poo poo

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Smythe posted:

quote this if ou said saia burgess microswitches im tim tyler and this is my keyboiard in the tim tyler voice when u read this post

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

what does goggle/heroku/yahoo/facebook use?

the big boys develop their own switches in-house using off the shelf chipsets

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jonny 290 posted:

just get ciscos.

mishaq posted:

i agree with this post

im at a place that's mostly juniper now so im a little biased but i like juniper better than cisco

get a qfx5100 for your 10 gig needs if you can get a nice discount and an ex or whatever for your 1 gigs

juniper and cisco both make a mixture of good and bad products, but all of them are hilariously loving overpriced.

they are getting their asses kicked by the guys selling commodity gear. if you don't seriously consider arista and/or cumulus in a switch purchase in tyool 2016 you have not done your job

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
what kind of switches are in my apple extended keyboard

theyre very good

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord
cherry mx blues supremacy

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

graph posted:

what kind of switches are in my apple extended keyboard

theyre very good

it used alps switches, OP

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
keyboard nerds are the loving worst and i am officially declaring yospos jihad

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

Jonny 290 posted:

go ahead

make my day

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Jonny 290 posted:

Calling someone who advocates for cherry switches a "keyboard nerd" is like calling a person who owns beats by dre an audiophile.

edit: nexus 3000 series.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 7, 2016

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my keyboard was $2.99 at walgreens and works fine to 360 noscope your rear end

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Salt Fish posted:

Calling someone who advocates for cherry switches a "keyboard nerd" is like calling a person who owns beats by dre an audiophile.

edit: nexus 3000 series.

nexus 3000 doesn't have enough ports for OP's requirements

Workaday Wizard
Oct 23, 2009

by Pragmatica

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the big boys develop their own switches in-house using off the shelf chipsets

if off the shelf chipsets are good enough why aren't we seeing better and cheaper switches???

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Shinku ABOOKEN posted:

if off the shelf chipsets are good enough why aren't we seeing better and cheaper switches???

we are seeing exactly that.

the nexus 3000 is cisco dipping their toe into COTS. it still costs a bunch of money for the cisco badging though.

arista and cumulus are selling the same thing for a lot less money

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Duke Thompson posted:

If that's all you are doing then get the dell switches. I can confirm that they are ok. But if you are coinfiguring routing get Cisco. ( Capt. Foo is correct)

If you are on a scrub budget then buy some NOS (new old stock) switches from whichever manufacturer doesn't have "Link" or "gear" in their name.

NetSys it is!

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

mx browns are way too loud and I'm using all the ports on my tp-link router like a grownup

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
mx browns are real good but I need to try some clears.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

nexus 3000 doesn't have enough ports for OP's requirements

I didn't read the OP I just got here by compulsively searching for the word "cherry".

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

Jonny 290 posted:

people spending $100+ dollars on custom keys and switches for an already expensive keyboard is the most lol thing

If you give that much of a poo poo just get a Model M off of eBay and shut up

skimothy milkerson
Nov 19, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

this post is for all you stupid loving trolls and haters online saying mean and hurtful things about mechanical switches. well guess what they rule harder than you, dipshits! you dont know anything about these loving switches, idiots. quite frankly, quite frankly i think you're just jealous rear end haters because you couldnt even afford these boards. if you couldnt even, you could even find the home row if your lifes depended on it because you know what it's mechanical and mechanical boards are for men and rubber domes are for boys but you wouldnt know poo poo aobut that, loving haters. this board is for what cool peolpe type on and you cant figure it out! you sit there on your poo poo rubber mebrane switches and you type bullshit abuot it but guess what its just a keyobard and you're not cool enough to appreciate it so next time think before you do trolling... id implore you to so a little thinking if thats even possible for you, to think before you do loving hating on mechanical switches... they're just a switch and youre jsut a stupid rubber membrane idiot. you think rubber dmoes are so cool well guess what its for boys and mechanical switches are for men and these are mechnical. thats all i got to say to you stupid rear end haters and bullshit bully trolls. you dont know poo poo. you dont know a quality typing experience, you dont know anything about cherry mx switches you keep saying bullshit joeks... i know you just trying to be stupid and act funny but its not fuckingh funny. get offline if youre goinug to keep saying this bullshit and key spouting it out for under you stupid hats that probably arent even fedoras. listen log off idiots you dont know poo poo with your stupid rubber domes. you dont know poo poo and i dare you to say one more loving joke and ill slit your throat neck. anyway thats it see ya haters fuckin idiots

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I bet you typed that really loudly

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
source you're quotes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

juniper and cisco both make a mixture of good and bad products, but all of them are hilariously loving overpriced.

they are getting their asses kicked by the guys selling commodity gear. if you don't seriously consider arista and/or cumulus in a switch purchase in tyool 2016 you have not done your job

lol if you work somewhere where arista/cumulus would be acceptable

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

graph posted:

theyre just rebranded linksys

actually they've been a bunch of different makers before they bought force10. i have a dell switch that's actually a brocade product

mishaq posted:

lol if you work somewhere where arista/cumulus would be acceptable

meh cumulus doesn't make hardware. they just make open sores software for other peoples switches

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Use perl switch statements:

If your source file is longer then 1 million characters and you have a switch statement that crosses the 1 million (or 2 million, etc.) character boundary you will get mysterious errors. The workaround is to use smaller source files.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
Cisco is poo poo

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Use perl switch statements:

If your source file is longer then 1 million characters and you have a switch statement that crosses the 1 million (or 2 million, etc.) character boundary you will get mysterious errors. The workaround is to use smaller source files.

of course single files with more than 1 million chars would be commonplace in perl-land

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Skim Milk posted:

this post is for all you stupid loving trolls and haters online saying mean and hurtful things about mechanical switches. well guess what they rule harder than you, dipshits! you dont know anything about these loving switches, idiots. quite frankly, quite frankly i think you're just jealous rear end haters because you couldnt even afford these boards. if you couldnt even, you could even find the home row if your lifes depended on it because you know what it's mechanical and mechanical boards are for men and rubber domes are for boys but you wouldnt know poo poo aobut that, loving haters. this board is for what cool peolpe type on and you cant figure it out! you sit there on your poo poo rubber mebrane switches and you type bullshit abuot it but guess what its just a keyobard and you're not cool enough to appreciate it so next time think before you do trolling... id implore you to so a little thinking if thats even possible for you, to think before you do loving hating on mechanical switches... they're just a switch and youre jsut a stupid rubber membrane idiot. you think rubber dmoes are so cool well guess what its for boys and mechanical switches are for men and these are mechnical. thats all i got to say to you stupid rear end haters and bullshit bully trolls. you dont know poo poo. you dont know a quality typing experience, you dont know anything about cherry mx switches you keep saying bullshit joeks... i know you just trying to be stupid and act funny but its not fuckingh funny. get offline if youre goinug to keep saying this bullshit and key spouting it out for under you stupid hats that probably arent even fedoras. listen log off idiots you dont know poo poo with your stupid rubber domes. you dont know poo poo and i dare you to say one more loving joke and ill slit your throat neck. anyway thats it see ya haters fuckin idiots

There Will Be Penalty
May 18, 2002

Makes a great pet!

pram posted:

of course single files with more than 1 million chars would be commonplace in perl-land

im a terrible perl programmer and that idea just makes me :cry:

RISCy Business
Jun 17, 2015

bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork bork
Fun Shoe

graph posted:

yeah but you have to get the right ciscos if you want that web management poo poo

idk if any have it

meraki switches are :nsacloud: based and have management UIs and poo poo

no idea if they're any good

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

abraham linkedin posted:

meraki switches are :nsacloud: based and have management UIs and poo poo

no idea if they're any good

they aren't bad for small/medium businesses

yeah you gotta have an active support contract for them to work at all but it beats paying someone on staff that actually understands networking

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

mishaq posted:

it beats paying someone on staff that actually understands networking

no you still have to pay that guy anyways

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
web interfaces on switches are always bad

i don't know why.
that's just how it is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

web interfaces on switches are always bad

i don't know why.
that's just how it is

if you use it enough that you care about the interface, you're using cli/scripting

• Locked thread