Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
MY GIRLFRIEND loves to drive stick.

A lot.

She learned early on mantrans cars in the 90s. To her, one of the best parts of the driving experience is rowing your own gears.

The only problem is that a dozen years ago due to complications following chemotherapy, she had to have her right leg amputated above the knee. This means she gas/brakes with the left foot only and the closest she gets to rowing gears is the shifty auto sports transmission on her Impreza.

Recently, for funsies, I had her try 1 leg driving my 5 speed 87 Wrangler on some dirt roads. She loved it and now we're interested in researching options to make the clutch on manual trans car operable by hand so that she can enjoy rowing gears again.

I've looked into two options so far. One is the hydraulic/electric "Duck Clutch" modification which introduces a lever to the gear shifter so that you can clutch in with your right hand. This is by far the more expensive option.

The second option is Alfred Bekker hand clutch which a simpler lever/arm system that allows the driver to hold the clutch in with the steering arm while shifting with the right arm. I'm not sure if they export kits to the united states.

Anyone else consider this?

bonus catte photo

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

antiquepacbell posted:

It may be easier for you to find gear to operate the gas and break by hand. Every mobility vehicle I have seen has this sort of set up. Just thinking out loud. Good luck on finding a solutions.

I was aware of gas/brake mods but hadn't thought about modifying a one to work a clutch pedal. It's an idea!

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I'm a little put off by the idea of designing something pneumatic. It's not that I don't think it can be done but that I don't trust my engineering abilities.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Oi-RznrRVw&t=2s

This is the sort of thing I was hoping to be able to replicate. It's ridiculously simple and possibly adaptable so that I could move it between vehicles.

Astonishing Wang posted:

I don't think it's very feasible with a mantrans. My buddy is paralzyed from the waist down and uses relatively simple hand controls to work the gas and brakes on his auto Wrangler. Gas, brakes, steering, clutch - too many moving parts for only two hands and one leg.

oh for sure- her left legs is perfectly functional though and does gas/brake like a pro.

I mean here she is driving my 5 speed wrangler with one leg. :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p3tefzikEw0

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
Girlfriend adding voice:

quote:

I am a right above knee amp. I work gas and brake with left foot. I adapt quickly to mechanical changes, both in prosthetic leg and car set-ups (i.e. going from normal gas/brake set-up to gas on the left of the brake and back). I have no qualms about working the clutch on the stick, or on/beside the steering wheel while working the stick &/or steering.

I do miss the "play" of the clutch as much as shifting. The idea of driving a stick as my every day driver really gets my juices flowing!

I really appreciate all your ideas and suggestion! :)

Cheers~

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

mariooncrack posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxWX4y_870c

I know your girlfriend loves driving stick but I saw this and thought it would be worth mentioning. It's an automatic but the owner still can shift and tracks it.

When she lost her leg she had been driving a 5 speed civic and Honda traded her into an auto model.

She drove her slushbox model just like this for 240k miles. :laffo:

• Locked thread