Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Turns out there was a second thread made after this one. Quoting the OP from the other thread:

TheMostFrench posted:

Finally it has been released! The team that brought us Ico and Shadow of the Colossus has been working towards this for around 10 years, and now we can journey around mystical ruins with our giant pigeon-cat baby. This OP will be updated as more info about the game mechanics becomes clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXLZvsSmBIs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL2zzgW6YOo

Reviews:
IGN 7/10 - http://au.ign.com/articles/2016/12/...guardian-review

Gamespot 9/10 - http://www.gamespot.com/reviews/the...w/1900-6416583/

Gameplay:
Like Ico and SOTC, you control a character who is able to perform some basic platforming such as jumping, climbing, pushing pulling, carrying or throwing objects, and interacting with switches and levers. Jumping and climbing feels a bit 'janky' because of how the character handles (they seem a bit heavy). The major feature of TLG is the interaction with Trico, the giant creature who helps you get around. This game requires a bit of patience since you need to direct Trico to perform specific actions at times, and they won't always immediately behave how you might expect. Some of the differences between this game and SOTC is that there is no stamina feature related to climbing, and you dont need to hold a button down when climbing, your character should automatically grab onto ledges and climbable surfaces when you press triangle.

Trico is a mobile platform, you can climb onto their head and swing from their tail. If you interact with Trico they will help you reach a platform or something by extending their neck or jumping up to a new height, allowing you to climb the tail. If you ever feel like you're lost or stuck then chances are you need to go higher using Trico.

It is not a bad idea to wait around in an area and see what kind of things Trico responds to or plays with, because they might be relevant to progression through the game (for example, Trico might bat at a chain or doorway as if it has some importance), or they just might be cute and fun. Trico looks at things in the distance sometimes which can be important.

There are items of food that you can feed to Trico, it is not immediately clear how this affects the relationship and ability to progress (sometimes you have no choice but to feed Trico), since I've found at least one barrel of food which was optional to collect.

From the start of the game there are pretty constant reminders of how to do basic things like jump and climb, but not much mention of how to develop a relationship with or control Trico e: [This kind of stuff gets explained a little bit later in the game, by the middle you can tell Trico how to do a whole bunch of things]

Holding L1 focuses the camera on Trico, which is useful to be able to watch how they are acting or responding to certain things.

R1 calls out to them. If you point the left control stick in a certain direction and then call out, your character will point in that direction. This has helped me a couple of times when trying to get Trico to do something specific. If you climb onto Trico and then do this you should be able to ride Trico and direct them around to some extent. This gets explained in proper detail later in the game.

You can hold circle while standing next to/on top of Trico to pet them! You have to do this sometimes to progress e.g after Trico has been in a fight you need to calm them down. Make sure you dont have the mirror equipped or you might command Trico to shoot lightning.

Holding L3 or R3 causes the character to sit down and 'contemplate' which as far as I can tell reveals some insight about the current situation from the character/narrator.

If you have taken a big fall you will limp around for a little while but there is no character health to be concerned about, from my experiences only a REALLY big fall is fatal, usually into a bottomless pit, and the game is pretty good regarding checkpoints.

Feel free to share videos, pictures, gifs, etc from your game. Trico does some pretty adorable stuff

Waltzing Along fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I spent the first five years of this stoked as hell and the last five years trying to forget about it. The reviews have been giving it 7s so I'll probably wait until it is marked down unless I get it for Christmas.

phourniner
Feb 19, 2007

When you're in a town like this all covered with smoke, you forget that there's a world outside. Nothing amazing happens here. And you get used to that, used to a world where everything is ordinary. Every day we spend here is like a whole lifetime of dying slowly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ8cMtCl1V4

Here's the Quick Look for people on the fence. Shows some of the (small) frustrations with the game mechanics and also displays the FPS issues on the regular PS4. No spoilers on story or location. Goes through the E3 demo and a bit beyond.

phourniner fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 6, 2016

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

Ico and SOTC are both in my top 5 games of all time, so of course I got this on day one. I've been playing for about two hours and I'm loving it so far. Trico is freaking adorable and I love feeding him those barrels :3:

Also, the environment is really interesting. The trailers really don't do justice to how utterly tall and massive the ancient city is. Everything looks gorgeous also.

So yeah, if you enjoyed Team Ico's first two games, get this one.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

^burtle posted:

The reviews have been giving it 7s

This is misleading. The metacritic average is 83. For reference, SotC is 91 and Ico is 92.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
So... game good?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
So far it is exactly like Ico/SotC. Bad camera and controls are fiddly but great music and interesting everything else.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Starting to really love this game. Trico is amazing. AFAIK, there has never been a NPC animal type character like this before.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
There's also a lotta and 10fps sections, but it honestly doesn't matter.

I like this game quite a bit, and the puzzles and the direction of the game are good. The game doesn't like tell you how to solve anything, but it's pretty smart in the way it gives hints.

Metanaut
Oct 9, 2006

Honey it's tight like that.
College Slice
Does it run any better on PS4 Pro?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Runs fine for me.

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
Jim Starling says this game is hot trash and his word is god.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Early on when you lose the mirror (if you lose the mirror) are you supposed to immediately find it and get it back? I've gone another hour or so and still don't have it again.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Waltzing Along posted:

Early on when you lose the mirror (if you lose the mirror) are you supposed to immediately find it and get it back? I've gone another hour or so and still don't have it again.

No, you are supposed to lose it.

Duel
Jan 27, 2005

The game so far is equal to that of Shadow of the Colossus and while I haven't completed it yet, it's still every bit as unique experience.

Sterling also gave Vanquish 5/10 so maybe he was just bad at this game too.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

TheAsterite posted:

they nailed the dreamlike atmosphere, I don't know how one could improve on it. that late afternoon light, ancient ruins, wow. really has a hazy summer feel to it. but the gameplay itself looks like hot trash, yeah.

abraxas
Apr 6, 2004

"It's a Yuletide!"

The FPS issues on normal PS4s is really a deal breaker to me. I've only gotten mine a year or two-ish ago and I feel like the pro is a huge ripoff, but that's probably a topic for another thread where everyone tells me I'm wrong.

Either way, I've only watched some of the game but the combination of (supposedly) clunky-ish controls and areas going down to single digit FPS reasonably regularly makes this a "buy when it's really cheap, maybe" for me.. sadly.

Flubby
Feb 28, 2006
Fun Shoe

TheAsterite posted:

What? No he didn't. He gave it a 6.5, which lines up with most reviews of it. An average game with some frustrations.

Edit: Nvm, maybe your not talking about Jim Sterling idk

Flubby fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Dec 8, 2016

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

I've been having a really good time with the game so far. The art is lovely and the way puzzles and events play out is great. I don't really know how to describe it, but despite being very linear the game doesn't feel as suffocatingly guided as a lot of big budget games do nowadays. The way you go from place to place feels very natural and the game mostly just leaves you alone to figure things out. It's a very nice experience. The music has also been solid so far and always kicks in at the right time.

That said, the framerate is terrible and the camera gets into a bind from time to time. Other than that I think it's really good. Trico is my friend.

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

I'm surprised there's not more activity in the thread considering this game was hyped and anticipated at almost every E3 for the past 10 years.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Yeah. It's strange. I was surprised that no one had opened a thread before the game came out.

Maybe people dont know?

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
I legitimately dont understand why people are yapping about the frame rate and poor controls as a dealbreaker.

Like, this clearly isn't an action game where frame rate significantly matters. It's a slow paced puzzle/story game. Also, control wise there's nothing really preventing you from finishing the game. Just let the game pace itself the way it wants.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Hopefully this arrives tomorrow. I like the dog. :3:

This has always been the game with the dog to me, so as long as the dog is good I will consider the game a success.

Also it looks like you can climb on him like shadow of the colossus only you don't have to stab him in the head so that's cute

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

McDragon posted:

as long as the dog is good I will consider the game a success.

Also it looks like you can climb on him like shadow of the colossus only you don't have to stab him in the head so that's cute

You are going to love this game. Trico is incredible. Easily the most impressive part of the game. Hopefully, the game gets more attention just for how well done he is.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Getting this for christmas hopefully, Ico and SOTC are two of my all-time favourite games despite the small amount of jank they had, I'm sure I can tolerate a little more for another experience on par with those two.

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

abraxas posted:

The FPS issues on normal PS4s is really a deal breaker to me. I've only gotten mine a year or two-ish ago and I feel like the pro is a huge ripoff, but that's probably a topic for another thread where everyone tells me I'm wrong.

Either way, I've only watched some of the game but the combination of (supposedly) clunky-ish controls and areas going down to single digit FPS reasonably regularly makes this a "buy when it's really cheap, maybe" for me.. sadly.

I am in the same boat. I'll grab it when it's on sale or rent. Just because it is a puzzle game doesn't mean we should be looking at FPS hits in the teens and sometimes lower. Maybe by the time it goes on sale for cheap it will be patched. That said, the game is right up my alley from a story perspective and it looks like a great interaction between the kid and Trico. So I will be fired up to play it when it goes cheap. (And hopefully patched)

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Sharing these from another thread:

quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fmT4ir_DAwY

I love how Tricos eyes light up yellow when you have food.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8TP9zPOJ7E

And that they get surprised when you shove at them :3:

In regards to the FPS complaints, I find that when entering a new area it would slow down until it was finished loading new assets - no area ever constantly ran at low FPS, especially not as low as 2 or 10 like some people say. The main culprit seems to be large outdoor areas with lots of foliage.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Gonna repost my ending/story speculation from the other thread, slightly edited to make sense without the posts it was replying to:

Bugblatter posted:

The sarcophagi, the design of the tower, and the 'master' gave me the impression that it's the remnant of an extremely advanced, long-lost civilization. Pretty sure that the 'master' is the actual Last Guardian from the title. The civilization may be gone, but the guardian, like some magical equivalent to an AI (or maybe just straight up an AI, the tower looks sci-fi enough), is self-sustaining thanks to the zombie workers it creates and the tricos it controls. So, it continues to fill its functions long after the people are gone.

I loved the game. It's easily my favorite of Ueda's thus far. The last act was really fantastic, and the gameplay throughout is really well paced. Puzzle mechanics get changed at the right times, and the puzzle difficulty was perfectly balanced to be hard enough to feel rewarding, but not so hard as to be frustrating. I also like that there were small secrets sprinkled through the game that use mechanics learned later on, so there's still some challenge for second playthroughs.

The camera and the fps are unfortunate (though I think often exaggerated), but it's worth dealing with because no one else makes games like these. It's really no worse than Ico when running on PS2 hardware, and never as bad as SotC was. Really, my biggest complaint is that the mandatory control tutorials can't be toggled off. They take up a huge portion of the screen and will still show up when you're at the end of a second playthrough. I know to press x to drop down, I've done it a thousand times now.

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

I really love this game and am surprised how upset some journalists are about Trico behaving like an animal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KaCiSdMZQ8s
He did decide to put me inside the wall as punishment for falling, though.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Because a video game behaving against your wishes is bad regardless of the potential immersion of it.

E: Seriously, people didn't like Ico because the princess would gently caress off at the drop of a hat and waste your time, and they thought, yeah, let's go back to that. Trico at least seems better behaved.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Dec 9, 2016

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

The only time something really weird happened to me I don't think Trico's behavior had anything to do with it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sELbLWsbYKE

Really enjoyed this game. I honestly don't want to say anything about it though because it's such an interesting and unique experience. Definitely play this game for yourself.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Based on some cursory googling I'm about 1/3 through the game. I don't love it. The music is nice and the puzzles are well balanced, but the controls are clunky as hell and the camera sucks. I'm glad I rented it. I'll probably finish it once and then that'll be it.

Carew
Jun 22, 2006

Orv posted:

Because a video game behaving against your wishes is bad regardless of the potential immersion of it.

E: Seriously, people didn't like Ico because the princess would gently caress off at the drop of a hat and waste your time, and they thought, yeah, let's go back to that. Trico at least seems better behaved.

i mean it's very explicit they're trying to create convincing autonomous entities and not just "better behaved" NPC's; they did this with Yorda, Argo and now Trico. i think whatever frustrations that come from interacting with entities that have a mind of their own is part of the Experience.

AllisonByProxy
Feb 24, 2006

FUCK TERFS/BLM/ACAB
Re-posting my thoughts from the "other thread" here:

Finished it today. Overall I'd say I enjoyed it about as much as I did Ico but nowhere near as much as Shadow of the Colossus. It felt a bit to similar to Ico. I also could have done without the narration. My biggest complaint though, other than the obvious "Why won't Trico just go where I want!?" is the drat control tutorial prompts persisting all the way through the game. It makes the game way more hand-holdy than the previous ones. They really need to patch in a toggle for those in the options.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Carew posted:

i mean it's very explicit they're trying to create convincing autonomous entities and not just "better behaved" NPC's; they did this with Yorda, Argo and now Trico. i think whatever frustrations that come from interacting with entities that have a mind of their own is part of the Experience.

Yeah, it's certainly a divisive choice, but also one of the main reasons I love the three games, and Yorda and Argo's behavior were often the highlights of positive reviews. Acting like everyone hated them and continuing the trend is therefore a wrong choice is pretty far off the mark.

It is safe to say that the companion AI is probably the best example of how these games really aren't for everyone, though. It's either gonna click with you and be magical or it won't and will be a magical frustration. And now in TLG its so far in the forefront that it's likely the feature that either seals or breaks the deal with players.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

asking the same question i asked in the other thread: is the ending sad

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Uncle Wemus posted:

It is sad but the dog doesn't die.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Uncle Wemus posted:

Significantly less so than in previous Ueda games.

So far as deaths go both the kid and Trico live but (complete, post credits, spoilers) they never see each other again, although as an old man the boy does discover a clue that Trico is still alive

Barnacle Snatcher
Aug 19, 2006

All things began in order so shall they end, so shall they begin again according to the Ordainer of Order and the mystical mathematicks of the City of Heaven.

MrMidnight posted:

I'm surprised there's not more activity in the thread considering this game was hyped and anticipated at almost every E3 for the past 10 years.

Because it is a puzzle game with a dog instead of a girl. Like, what did people expect? Also :laffo: at 10 year development time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
I like this game a lot and it makes me wish for ports of Ico and SotC for PS4. Even if they did nothing for the framerate in those games and just kept them at PS2 graphics I just wanna play them without having to bust out a different console.

PSNow doesn't count.

• Locked thread