Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
Problem description: Provide a DETAILED description of your problem here.
Last night I have home from my birthday and tried to wake my computer up from sleep. The screens stayed dark but my fans/LEDs came on, after 5 seconds the fans in the front of my case turned off (the other fans including my CPU fan stays on).

Attempted fixes: What have you tried to do to resolve the problem?
Taking out all components besides the CPU, CPU fan, and variable sticks of ram. Taking out CMOS battery and bridging the jumper. I've tried connecting my monitors directly to my mobo but they still stay dark.
I'm going to buy a new power supply on my way home to make sure it's not my current one.

Recent changes: Have you made any changes to your system/configuration recently that might have caused the problem?
Two weeks ago i installed new ram.
--

Operating system: e.g. Windows Vista (Home Basic/Home Premium/Business/Ultimate), Windows XP (Home/Pro), MacOS X, Linux, etc. Also specify whether your OS is 32-bit or 64-bit, you can check this in Windows Vista/7 by going to Control Panel, System, and looking at the "System Type" line.
Windows 10 x64

System specs: Machine manufacturer/model number. If a laptop, post the FULL model number, which is usually on a sticker on the underside of the machine. Please also include the basic specs such as processor and how much memory you have. If home-built, list your processor, motherboard, graphics card, memory, power supply, hard drive(s), etc. If any other hardware or equipment is relevant to your problem, list it here. If you have a networking issue, post the brand/model/revision of your modem and router from the underside of the boxes. Don't just post the output of a program that claims to show your computer specs, like Speccy, as they are frequently wrong and don't provide enough information (though this is better than nothing if you truly have no idea).

CPU: Intel Core i5-4590 BX80646I54590 Processor (6M Cache, 3.3 GHz)
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H97M-D3H LGA 1150 Intel H97 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1070 DirectX 12 GV-N1070G1 GAMING-8GD 8GB 256-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 x16 ATX Video Card
Harddrive: Kingston Digital 240GB SSDNow V300 SATA 3 2.5-Inch Solid State Drive with Adapter (SV300S37A/240G)
RAM: G.Skill 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Ripjaws Series (9-9-9-24) Dual Channel kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL)
PSU: Corsair CS Series, CS650M, 650 Watt (650W), Semi Modular Power Supply, 80+ Gold Certified
CASE: Coolermaster Pro 5

I'd add links to the stuff above but I forgot how to do that and I'm pretty sure if I preview the post my work computer might crash.

Merica

I have Googled and read the FAQ:
Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Does it make any beeps? If not then yeah it's probably the PSU. If it isn't that then unfortunately it's probably the mobo.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 8, 2016

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I purchased the card in July and have been running it since without problems. This is what I changed the ram to:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J8E8XT4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 8, 2016

Whitest Russian
Nov 23, 2013
I picked up this psu last night to see if it's my power supply and an old HDD I had exploded a little.
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-850w-modular-bq-power-supply-black/5594501.p?skuId=5594501

Whitest Russian fucked around with this message at 12:54 on Dec 9, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Did you try to plug the same cables from the old power supply into the new one? That is a huge no-no, you have to use the cables supplied with the power supply.

• Locked thread