Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Quidthulhu

Stand down, men! It's only smooching!

i'm just getting into phish and they're pretty sweet! murmur twin on these here forums is a huge phish fan and i asked her to recommend me some jams, and she put together a whole list for me.

i think it's pretty sick music, it's like jazz meets honky tonk homedown rock. i'm enjoying getting to know the songs and working my way through all these concerts. crazy crazy stuff. it's fun that i'm start to recognize some of the tunes and hearing if i like what they are doing from concert to concert

i'm a huge jazz fan so i don't know why i didn't discover this poo poo sooner. i dumb.

if you're a phan post your favorite jams here, and if you're not, check out some phish maybe you will like them. i think they're a pretty byoband :3

here's a track i really dig, tweezer from 12-2-95 newhaven veterans memorial hospital. sick loving guitar lick 8 or 9 minutes in

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Iqy5Gyz5I

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poverty goat

i saw phish one time when they got back together in 2004 in hampton and i wish there were more shows in hampton because the acoustics on the floor were absolutely killer. also i had no trouble finding a bunch of drugs and taking them all so i was tripping BALLS and the light show and audience participation were great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzda6SBQ5gs

Quidthulhu

i'm listening to the 12/14/95 show (Live Phish Vol. 1) and they're loving killing frankenstein

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipGSPKpRd6s :rock:

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

nah

joke_explainer

hmm? no... are you sure you are listening to phish?

FactsAreUseless

No. No no no no no no no no no! No! No no no!

Piso Mojado

FactsAreUseless posted:

nice metldown

poverty goat

phish is kind of like anime, a little of it is good but a lot of it is bad and the fans are bad

Senior Management

FactsAreUseless posted:

At the end of the day you are an admin and if this thread warrants the deletion of BYOB and initiation of containment protocols there is nothing I can do to stop you.

:jerry:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

a member of the dole family who had an unhealthy obsession with one of my friends once bought tickets to a phish show for me and my girlfriend at the time it was a pretty bad time and I hated it also that guy almost killed me I don't like phish

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

douchebag playing a vacuum like it's an instrument IT'S NOT

Senior Management

I don't know who Phish is other than that people like to joke about the band.

joke_explainer

My first and only real experience with Phish, a guy in theater at my high school talked about the band constantly, and he eventually had some kind of tape of some kind of live concert that he really thought I should listen to. I walked to his house, which was like an hour, at his insistence that it was a really good idea. The tape sounded absolutely awful and every song seemed to fill the span of a goddamn SyFy miniseries. I told him it was 'interesting' out of politeness and low self esteem, but even that started to wane over the interminable length. i asked about watching cowboy bebop or something, anything else he had in his house that we could do, and he was like, "nah man just listen! it's so good!" eventually I was just like 'i've got to go' and left. we didn't really talk about it much afterwards but he got deeper into the band, wearing tshirts and stuff and going to live shows. the most confusing thing? this guy was hardcore straight edge, so he was listening to all that stuff stone cold sober...

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

joke_explainer posted:

this guy was hardcore straight edge, so he was listening to all that stuff stone cold sober...

and that guy's name? lee harvey oswald

Senior Management

Bo-Pepper hurriedly sweeps his many Phish albums under the couch and stuffs his memorabilia in the closet as unexpected company arrives. He rushes to the door and greets them with his popular band "The Who" tee shirt hastily put on backwards. "Popular music sure is good" he muses.

Quidthulhu

Vynar posted:

Bo-Pepper hurriedly sweeps his many Phish albums under the couch and stuffs his memorabilia in the closet as unexpected company arrives. He rushes to the door and greets them with his popular band "The Who" tee shirt hastily put on backwards. "Popular music sure is good" he muses.

lol i imagine him opening the door and saying that as a greeting xD

Quidthulhu

also apparently i have made the most unbyob thread :C

FluffieDuckie

no but some of your friends weren't being very byob

*gives fau one of those looks*

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

alnilam

I only know one album by phish it's called Junta and i think it's quite good and their guitarist is excellent, but I'm satisfied with just the one album plus the fact that their fans are so intense turns me off from further exploration

alnilam

No offense to their fans though it's just...

It's like when i got into ham radio, a lot of the other hams were like ONE OF US ONE OF US and they didn't really "get" that i was just mildly interested and didn't want to devote my life to hamming

I probably would have stuck around longer if more ham folks were more chill about it. But i really do wish them well regardless, i mean clearly it makes them very happy

alnilam

Also some very intense phish phans have told me that they don't even know the album junta that i like, because apparently their studio recordings are trash compared to The Live Experience

Darkman Fanpage
i like to noodle 🍜

Macnult

I like groovy bass lines so I'm cool with phish
https://youtu.be/OHEJDtc78CU

Senior Management

alnilam posted:

Also some very intense phish phans have told me that they don't even know the album junta that i like, because apparently their studio recordings are trash compared to The Live Experience

If the greatfull dead still tour you should become a dead head and follow them around in your motorcycle.

FactsAreUseless

FluffieDuckie posted:

no but some of your friends weren't being very byob

*gives fau one of those looks*
I Have My Limits, Sir!

*huffs off huffily whilst huffing*

Macnult

Jam bands make me so mad with their huge following of people who are happy about the music they like

Senior Management

FactsAreUseless posted:

I Have My Limits, Sir!

*huffs off huffily whilst huffing*

Phish is a conspiracy please merge BYOB with with Paranormal / Conspiracy forum

alnilam

Vynar posted:

If the greatfull dead still tour you should become a dead head and follow them around in your motorcycle.

I was going to bring this up too, i really love the grateful dead studio albums and i have one live album that's pretty cool i guess. I guess because nobody my age was actually alive back then, i don't see this as much, but every once in a while i meet an aggressively "live album or it's trash" gratefuldead fan and i just don't get it

Senior Management

alnilam posted:

I was going to bring this up too, i really love the grateful dead studio albums and i have one live album that's pretty cool i guess. I guess because nobody my age was actually alive back then, i don't see this as much, but every once in a while i meet an aggressively "live album or it's trash" gratefuldead fan and i just don't get it

I suspect it may have involved LSD bit it was before my time too so I don't know.

alnilam

That being said i would gladly ride my motorcycle to a dead concert and I've seen the bands of a few former members live, and I've seen and then later hung out at a campfire with famous-ish g-dead cover band dark star orchestra, and they were all really enjoyable shows

Piso Mojado

:golfclap: congrats to op on the expert troll

Piso Mojado

for the record, phish, chvrros, and grimes are all fairly bad. That said, op is still cool in my book and I hope it doesn't discourage others from making threads about bad bands they enjoy.

Quidthulhu

i was half thinking as i was writing this "people are going to think i am trolling aren't they" :v:

i am genuinely curious about what people think makes all this "bad music" bad. like i listen to basically everything so i never get it when someone is like "that's trash" unless it's, like, nickelback. what don't you like about phish other than fans being dumb???

i am a music teacher though so i am a bit biased to like everything :3:

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

Other than having a negative personal experience attached to my exposure to Phish, every time I try listen to it the music seems like self-indulgent wandering with no purpose or intent. If you like your music to be the equivalent of a burbling stream then go for it, but it's not my cup of tea.

mags

I am a congenital optimist.
Somebody else is doing it. using the word "good" where it clearly doesn't belong

paul_soccer12 posted:

everyone in the idf must die

(USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST)
joke_explainer

i like quidnose, sorry if I came across as unnecessarily insulting, just phish is really unenjoyable from my perspective but hey, if everyone in the byob village thought exactly the same thing we'd probably have less interesting humor and stuff

Senior Management

Is the talking electric bass you can hang on your walls singing Phish songs? I don't know any Phish songs and at this point I am too afraid to ask.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FluffieDuckie

ok this thread isn't really going the way the op expected plus this

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3765007&pagenumber=522#post467265827

so i'm going to close it

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

• Locked thread