Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

My wife was driving me and a co worker to work last night, and while turning left on a green light she slipped on snow in the intersection and got stuck and a truck hit us in the back right door. It was pretty scary, both my kids were in the car and my 21 month old daughter was showered with glass which freaked her out. I didn't even have my seat belt on, something which I am normally quite adamant about always wearing, because it was stuck under a car seat and we were in a rush. Being wedged in between two car seats and being hit laterally helped keep me in place I think haha

We still went to work afterwards but man I am sore as gently caress. I'm going to see my doctor because I think I may have a broken rib

Anyway share some car crash stories here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Oh yeah some pics

https://imgur.com/gallery/WQPH7

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Looks like somebody can't drive in snow.

I stole this post from your imgur thread.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
Glad you're okay op. This dead gay forum needs every single shitposter

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
As for my own story, I got rear ended pretty hard on the highway in October. This guy on the road crew was quite the number! My bottom was sore for weeks.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
That axle'll buff out

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Your rib isn't broken unless you are some kind of superman.

I hope you get to feeling better!

Enfield
May 30, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
i hit a deer on a motorcycle once. i broke my leg and now theres a steel rod in my pants

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

women drivers amirite

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Enfield posted:

i hit a deer on a motorcycle once. i broke my leg and now theres a steel rod in my pants

i probably won't need a steel rod or anything but ive always had one in my pants

3 A.M. Radio
Nov 5, 2003

Workin' too hard can give me
A heart attACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK-ACK!
You oughtta' know by now...
I've been involved in several car accidents, but the worst happened when I was 19.

I was heading home from college, and a friend of mine was driving. It was winter time, and we were driving along Lake Erie. He was doing the speed limit, but it was still too fast and he started to fishtail. He tried to get it under control, but there was a car heading towards as, so he basically had to choose between hitting the car or the ditch, so he chose the ditch.

We rolled a couple of times. All I really remember is opening my eyes for a second, and seeing white outside the front window. The car ended up stopping on it's left side, angled with the rear end end pointing in the air.

I had my seat belt on so I was kind of hanging in my seat, but my friend wasn't wearing one. He was laying against the window and blood was pooling around his head. I yelled his name but he didn't respond, so I gently patted his arm. I didn't want move him too much, but I was starting to freak out because I thought he might actually be dead.

I screamed his name, and he kind of sat up, completely out of it. He looked at me, and I said, "This is why you wear seatbelts, rear end in a top hat."

Then we tried getting out, but the door was too heavy to lift. I considered trying to kick out the windshield, but then we heard a voice asking us if we needed help. He came and held the door open while I pushed my friend up and out of the car. Then I had to climb out, which was a real pain in the rear end.

We went and saw the car a few days later. His blood was still frozen to the driver side window.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014
one time i rear-ended this lady literally two days after she got her car out of the body shop for a previous rear-end collision

she had this dejected look on her face like "what's the point anymore?"

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald
why was your wife driving you, a "coworker", and your two kids, to work, in the dark?

?

tell us the whole story

where are the drugs

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe

penus penus penus posted:

why was your wife driving you, a "coworker", and your two kids, to work, in the dark?

?

tell us the whole story

where are the drugs

Detective penus has your number op

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
I've never been an a car accident, have never been pulled over, and have never gotten so much as a parking ticket. This demonstrates that I'm in the top 1% of all motorists in terms of pure ability and law-abiding.

Infidel Castro posted:

You probably drive like an rear end in a top hat.

Incorrect. A huge part of never being in an accident is being able to skillfully avoid accidents, both by driving defensively and having top-notch situational awareness. There have been countless times where I have avoided being hit because of my skills, where a lesser driver would've been clobbered.

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Dec 10, 2016

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

I've never been an a car accident, have never been pulled over, and have never gotten so much as a parking ticket. This demonstrates that I'm in the top 1% of all motorists in terms of pure ability and law-abiding.

You probably drive like an rear end in a top hat.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Probably rides the bus.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Maybe you shouldn't let a woman drive with the kids in the car?

Or maybe the kids were the real accidents, and you're trying to find a way to get rid of them without murdering them, in which case good thinking to put them in a 4000 pound missile with a bitch at the controls.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

penus penus penus posted:

?

tell us the whole story

where are the drugs

my wife was going to stay at her moms after she dropped us off at work. and i work 9pm-5am. we actually had weed in the car because we had just bought some for my Christmas party this weekend haha. but because there were so many accidents last night (first real snowfall of the season) the cops
didn't get there for like 3 hours so we just went to work while my wife stuck around. my wife's aunt was actually in the mcdonalds across the street so she took our kids to her house while my wife waited

during the whole process i learned that my insurance company is terribly unhelpful and unreliable and will be switching asap

a misanthrope
Jun 21, 2010

:burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug::burgerpug:

Enfield posted:

dang man you should know the ER doctors on a first-name basis by now

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

A misanthrope posted:

dang man you should know the ER doctors on a first-name basis by now

It's mostly the nurses that care about his rod.

Especially the male ones.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Who is your insurance provider OP? Is it the duck, gecko, or Aaron Rodgers?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Chief McHeath posted:

Maybe you shouldn't let a woman drive with the kids in the car?

Or maybe the kids were the real accidents, and you're trying to find a way to get rid of them without murdering them, in which case good thinking to put them in a 4000 pound missile with a bitch at the controls.

i actually feel really bad for my wife because this is her first (and mine actually) car accident, and as an asian woman she has been the butt of many jokes. she's actually a very good and experienced driver, she was just mostly unlucky

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I'm pretty sure all insurance providers are unhelpful and unreliable.

Hyped
Jan 28, 2004
December 1st of this year my brand new Ford F150 was parked at my girlfriends house on a public street. We were awoken at 1:00 in the morning to a loud crash. A drunk driver in a 97 Volkswagen Jetta ran straight into the back of my truck.

Totaled his vehicle, the front end was pushed all the way up to the windshield. Airbags deployed, he seemed to be ok. He was intoxicated enough that he thought my girlfriend and I were in the truck because he kept asking us if we were ok under heavily slurred speech. Cops arriving on the scene estimate he was going 45-50MPH which means he also ran a stop sign to reach those speeds. Pushed my truck forward 3 feet in the impact.

The good: He didn't get seriously injured and he has insurance.
The bad: He did 15,300 worth of damage in the initial estimate. He buckled the frame in two spots, however, it's still driveable. The truck will have to be taken off it's old frame and put onto a new frame. I'm going to have to pursue the insurance company for diminished value as it's a brand new $60,000 truck with 10,500 miles on it.

polio king
Jun 19, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

My wife was driving me and a co worker to work last night, and while turning left on a green light she slipped on snow in the intersection and got stuck and a truck hit us in the back right door. It was pretty scary, both my kids were in the car and my 21 month old daughter was showered with glass which freaked her out. I didn't even have my seat belt on, something which I am normally quite adamant about always wearing, because it was stuck under a car seat and we were in a rush. Being wedged in between two car seats and being hit laterally helped keep me in place I think haha

We still went to work afterwards but man I am sore as gently caress. I'm going to see my doctor because I think I may have a broken rib

Anyway share some car crash stories here

Well now, how many months old are you? Stop referencing age in this way unless they're under a year old.

Your first mistake was going to work. That will be used against you should you have actual injuries and report them.

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

my wife was going to stay at her moms after she dropped us off at work. and i work 9pm-5am. we actually had weed in the car because we had just bought some for my Christmas party this weekend haha. but because there were so many accidents last night (first real snowfall of the season) the cops
didn't get there for like 3 hours so we just went to work while my wife stuck around. my wife's aunt was actually in the mcdonalds across the street so she took our kids to her house while my wife waited

during the whole process i learned that my insurance company is terribly unhelpful and unreliable and will be switching asap

pfft

Moon Atari posted:

I'm pretty sure all insurance providers are unhelpful and unreliable.

not in my experience, the larger ones are very competitive and generally filing claims is one of the easier processes (as far being in the category of getting someone to give you money). im sure there is a % of bad stories here but its very much in their best interest to pay out with a smile

the smaller companies, which you should never use, are terrible. and often not cheaper

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

i actually feel really bad for my wife because this is her first (and mine actually) car accident, and as an asian woman she has been the butt of many jokes. she's actually a very good and experienced driver, she was just mostly unlucky

Ah, had the wrong maneki-neko in the car.

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ethical_rage posted:

December 1st of this year my brand new Ford F150 was parked at my girlfriends house on a public street. We were awoken at 1:00 in the morning to a loud crash. A drunk driver in a 97 Volkswagen Jetta ran straight into the back of my truck.

Totaled his vehicle, the front end was pushed all the way up to the windshield. Airbags deployed, he seemed to be ok. He was intoxicated enough that he thought my girlfriend and I were in the truck because he kept asking us if we were ok under heavily slurred speech. Cops arriving on the scene estimate he was going 45-50MPH which means he also ran a stop sign to reach those speeds. Pushed my truck forward 3 feet in the impact.

The bad: He did 15,300 worth of damage in the initial estimate. He buckled the frame in two spots, however, it's still driveable. The truck will have to be taken off it's old frame and put onto a new frame. I'm going to have to pursue the insurance company for diminished value as it's a brand new $60,000 truck with 10,500 miles on it.

Did you offer him a drink or two before the cops got there? Thats what a mensch would do.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Join the army and get USAA, your welcome

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

ethical_rage posted:

Maybe if you drove a reasonably sized vehicle he would not have hit it

penus penus penus
Nov 9, 2014

by piss__donald

Blue Train posted:

Join the army and get USAA, your welcome

usaa allows family members as well and they are very lenient (very, very lenient, like if your dad was in the army in the 70's you can get a policy no problem)

some insurance tipz for you all since ive probably requested 100 quotes by this time in my life and filed more than a few claims (though ive never been in a collision with another person yet). all the big boy companies generally come out to the same price when you manually match the dollar limits. anytime you hear "blurb bluahh blah 15% saved on average" its technically true, but all they are doing is adjusting payout ceilings within their legal limits. you will find if you simply adjust those on your current policy, magically your premium will suddenly match their quote. this applies to nationwide, geico, allstate, esurance, USAA, and so on. so really, what you want to do is try to find a company that offers other discounts if you can based on something else you have, such as a bank account. a lot of banks have little discoutn agreements with certain companies, check your cardholder benefits

what you will also find is that premiums are also generally similar at "cheaper" places too... or worse. sometimes much worse. most of the time those places cater to the "uninsurable" and simply the misinformed. if the place youre at has a neon sign that says SR22's, just forget that poo poo. but lets say best case scenario you find some place that is technically cheaper and you JUST need liability? ok. comprehensive? never. they have no interest paying out for many reasons, some practical (they really dont have a lot of money) but mostly cause its a scam. just dont, youre paying for coverage thats just going to be a nightmare if you actually need what you paid for

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

Enfield posted:

I didn't know deer could drive motorcycles.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

The worst accident I've been in was because of poor car maintenance. I let my tires get pretty much completely bald, and one day driving to work on the freeway in absolutely pouring rain I lost control while changing lanes. The car went all the way from the slow lane, spinning in circles, across 5 lanes and smashed into the center divider. Luckily I didn't hit anyone else but it is quite a thing looking at freeway speed traffic coming right at you head on and having zero control.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Wrecked em? drat near killed em!

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
A guy I know got hit by some psycho lady who blew through a red light at 60 mph and he got a ticket for it :psyduck:

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Thin Privilege posted:

A guy I know got hit by some psycho lady who blew through a red light at 60 mph and he got a ticket for it :psyduck:

the funniest part for me is after all was said and done, the cops are like "here's a $100 ticket, be a little more cautious next time". Seems surreal, after what felt like such a traumatic event

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

Suddenly, completely lost control going 60 kph (37 mph) on an icy road. Spun around 3-4 complete rotations and went straight off the road, tail first.

Could NOT have had an easier landing. Group of young, bendy trees cushioned the impact and since I came in tail first I just pressed against the drivers seat and didn't smash my head into the dash.

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

The Belgian posted:

I didn't know deer could drive motorcycles.

how he got into my pajamas i'll never know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

you irl
Jan 22, 2014

autoaim.cfg posted:

Suddenly, completely lost control going 60 kph (37 mph) on an icy road. Spun around 3-4 complete rotations and went straight off the road, tail first.

Could NOT have had an easier landing. Group of young, bendy trees cushioned the impact and since I came in tail first I just pressed against the drivers seat and didn't smash my head into the dash.

i once did a 360 on an icy, empty back road, somehow didn't go off the road, and just kept on driving forward. it probably looked super cool except for all the piss running down my legs.

• Locked thread