Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The 21st season of Major League Soccer is over, and Seattle are MLS Cup winners for the first time ever! Congrats to them! And if you think playoffs in soccer are for morons (which is incorrect), FC Dallas are Supporter's Shield winners for the first time ever! Congrats to them! Both of those teams qualify for the 2017-18 CCL along with RBNY, Colorado, and Toronto. Wooden Spoon goes to the Fire, which sounds dangerous but is harmless, much like CF97.

Offseason Schedule
Today! - Trade window that lasts 3 hours
Tuesday - Expansion Draft
Thursday - Waiver Draft
Friday - Re-entry Draft, round 1
December 22 - Re-entry Draft, round 2
January 13 - SuperDraft
January 23 - Pre-season!

Atlanta and Minnesota join the league next year and get this: the playoffs will NOT change formats! How about that!

Edward Mass fucked around with this message at 08:20 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I weep for there are no more worlds left to conquer.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
Congrats to Seattle for equaling Vancouver's trophy haul for this season.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
Also can someone tell what this poo poo means or am I safe to assume it's dumb mls garage:

https://twitter.com/GothamistDan/status/807811502161936384

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
There's a 3 hour trade window tomorrow before expansion draft protected players are declared.

Lol

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

foobardog posted:

I weep for there are no more worlds left to conquer.

CONCAF and Club World Cup

Fucitol posted:

Also can someone tell what this poo poo means or am I safe to assume it's dumb mls garage:

https://twitter.com/GothamistDan/status/807811502161936384

Its Audi Sponsorship garbage, although Frei is a golden god.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

CONCAF and Club World Cup

Its Audi Sponsorship garbage, although Frei is a golden god.

Oh right. And the vaunted triple and so on... :yum:

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
Quick recap of the season, for those of you just joining us/having spent the past 8 months in a coma:

Supporters Shield winner: FC Dallas (17-8-9, 60 points)
MLS Cup winner: Seattle Sounders (:woop:)

CONCACAF Champion's League spots:
FC Dallas (US Open Cup winner)
Colorado Rapids (Western Conference winner spot from Dallas as #2 on the full table)
New York Red Bulls (Eastern Conference winner)
Seattle Sounders (MLS Cup winner)
Toronto FC (Canadian Championship winner)

Most Valuable Player: David Villa (23 goals, 4 assists, dragged Man City B's shambling corpse to the #2 seed and capitalized on the votes being split between the two NYRB players)
Defender of the Year: Matt Hedges (beat out Van Damme and Sjoberg)
Goalkeeper of the Year: Andre Blake (stats were nothing to write home about, but the other finalists were Howard [only half a season] and Robles [who sucks but no one will admit it], so :shrug:)
Coach of the Year : Oscar Pareja (SS and USOC wins with the youngest roster in the league)
Rookie of the Year: Jordan Morris (12 goals, 4 assists)
Newcomer of the Year: Nicolás Lodeiro (4 goals, 8 assists in just 1170 minutes)
Comeback Player of the Year: Chris Pontius (12 goals, 6 assists)
Golden Boot: Bradley Wright-Phillips (24 goals, 5 assists)
Fair Play Player Award: Keegan Rosenberry (no cards, only 13 fouls committed while playing every minute of the season)
Fair Play Team Award: Columbus Crew SC (fewest fouls committed by a healthy margin)
Humanitarian of the Year: Matt Lampson
Referee of the Year: Alan Kelly (who did such a stellar job in the final :bravo:)
Assistant Referee of the Year: Frank Anderson
Goal of the Year: Shkëlzen Gashi
Save of the Year: Joe Bendik

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Atlanta have made 5 trades so far today, including the rumored Sean Johnson to NYCFC for Garberbucks and Parkhurst from Columbus for Garberbucks.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Nelson Rodriguez: "More GAM for the GAM god!"

I'm sad to see Johnson go after he's done such a great job on so many awful Fire teams throughout the years. He probably deserves better than this poo poo.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 11, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

whypick1 posted:

Referee of the Year: Alan Kelly (who did such a stellar job in the final :bravo:)

I counted Alonso with at least 7 fouls committed, 4 elbows to the face, and 5 plays worthy of at least a yellow in that game. But Chad Marshall was the guy who got Seattle's only yellow. That was a terribly officiated game and i hope he's embarrassed when he watches the tape.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

With the Johnson trade, not a single player who was on Chicago's roster in 2014 is still there (contingent on Razvan Cocis not re-signing for a lower amount, which seems unlikely).

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Im hearing that the Timbers will sign David Guzman from Saprissa. He's a dumb piece of poo poo and will surely get sent off a lot. He also once was arrested the day before a match for getting into a fistfight while playing 5-a-side.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

But Chad Marshall was the guy who got Seattle's only yellow.

Joevin Jones got a yellow as well. Not that that matter his performance much better.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Apparently Chicago had offers from both Atlanta and NYCFC for Johnson, but chose to take Atlanta's lower offer so that Johnson could go home to Georgia.

Atlanta promptly turned around and took NYCFC's offer.

:bravo:

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Jose Guillermo Ortiz is apparently going from LDA to DC. He's a mediocre striker with discipline issues and who got involved in some ridiculous transfer drama this season.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Hello Towel posted:

Apparently Chicago had offers from both Atlanta and NYCFC for Johnson, but chose to take Atlanta's lower offer so that Johnson could go home to Georgia.

Atlanta promptly turned around and took NYCFC's offer.

:bravo:

I hear they were going to keep him but signed Guzan and dealt him for GAM and TAM.

highme
May 25, 2001

Portland rumored to be picking up David Guzman from Saprissa.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I hear they were going to keep him but signed Guzan and dealt him for GAM and TAM.

Either way, it reflects pretty badly on the Fire FO.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Hello Towel posted:

Either way, it reflects pretty badly on the Fire FO.

I don't think so. I think they were trying to do right by him by sending him to play in his hometown, but Atlanta did him dirty.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Simone Poodoin posted:

Jose Guillermo Ortiz is apparently going from LDA to DC. He's a mediocre striker with discipline issues and who got involved in some ridiculous transfer drama this season.

I think the plan is to just sign the Alajulense team that beat us in CCL.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Okay so uh are the Revs going to do anything to make this season better?

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Despite the Colorado Rapids not repeating the 2014 and 2015 seasons, I still want Tim Hinchey and Pablo Mastroeni shot in the loving head.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

silvergoose posted:

Okay so uh are the Revs going to do anything to make this season better?

:clegg:

highme
May 25, 2001

Apparently, DCU traded Igboanike to Portland for a 2017 2nd round pick yesterday.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

highme posted:

Apparently, DCU traded Igboanike to Portland for a 2017 2nd round pick yesterday.

DC also shipped Miguel Aguilar to LA for swapped 2018/19 fourth round picks and a can of magic beans.

Both those moves mean we don't end up protecting bench players for tomorrow's draft.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

I think the plan is to just sign the Alajulense team that beat us in CCL.

You should have signed Jonathan McDonald instead, he's way more entertaining (and not for his football skills)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sof58E-Scfg

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

fake and gay

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Full list of protected/unprotected players for the Expansion Draft

Not really surprised at Seattle's choices.

whypick1 fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Dec 12, 2016

El Jebus
Jun 18, 2008

This avatar is paid for by "Avatars for improving Lowtax's spine by any means that doesn't result in him becoming brain dead by putting his brain into a cyborg body and/or putting him in a exosuit due to fears of the suit being hacked and crushing him during a cyberpunk future timeline" Foundation
^^^ The full list! Thanks, was about to edit that into mine.

highme posted:

Interestingly, Portland immediately declined his contract option. They didn't want the player, just the international spot he was sitting in.

El Jebus fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Dec 12, 2016

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

So unprotected players can just be picked by the expansion teams? Then how do the other teams "refill" their squads?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Re-entry draft/free transfers

highme
May 25, 2001

Things I learned this AM, Diego Valeri was very close to playing for Seattle. Instead he opted to play @ Lanus for another season and then ended up here.

So that's how I know we're not in the actual worst timeline.

Simone Poodoin posted:

So unprotected players can just be picked by the expansion teams? Then how do the other teams "refill" their squads?

There's a limit (like 1 or 2) to the amount of players that can be selected from a team.

highme fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 12, 2016

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Fuuuuuuuuck. Dave Romney or Ariel Lassiter would be really good pickups for any team. That must have been rough for the FO.

edit: Christian Techera and Ivanschitz are the only others that seem good value for the money.

B.B. Rodriguez fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Dec 12, 2016

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

highme posted:

There's a limit (like 1 or 2) to the amount of players that can be selected from a team.

It's 1 period. So only half of the current teams will lose a player (each team gets 5 picks).

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

There's basically three drafts this year, and then your normal summer winter silly season. This first one is taking away from the old teams. The next one will be picking up players waived by other teams. Then there will be the one of new players from college (and lower league teams?). After that it's the normal constantly changing MLS acquisition rules.

All of it is kind of a relic of American sports, honestly. Mostly trading around marginal players (but honestly some of your hardest working guys, just not that good in an improving league). For the expansion teams, it's at least something to start out with, but in general, it's just maybe filling out some depth. It'd honestly be better for the expansion teams to be thrown a bunch of money or a relaxed salary cap, probably.

e: Oh, missed the re-entry draft for returning players, which includes those not picked up in the waiver draft.

whypick1 posted:

Not really surprised at Seattle's choices.

I actually really am sad to see Mears and Gomez unprotected, but that's just because I like the cut of their jibs.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 12, 2016

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Looking at the transfer activity for the two expansion teams is interesting. Atlanta has done a ton of wheeling and dealing already, signing 15 players, according to the MLS site.... and Minnesota, last I checked, had signed two players from their old team.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The guys left unprotected is kinda surprising there are plenty of decent players, much better than last time in 2014. Like no guys who will set the league on fire, but dudes better than loving Mehdi Ballouchy and Wingert.

foobardog posted:

I actually really am sad to see Mears and Gomez unprotected, but that's just because I like the cut of their jibs.

Mears and Gomez are really bad however and should be gone.

Jack2142 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 12, 2016

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

please don't pick Barnetta

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Thanks for the explanation guys, it's a bit overcomplicated system but makes sense.

I hope Waylon Francis is picked up and gets lots of minutes, he seems to have fallen out of favor at CLB.

• Locked thread