Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Intro Guide
Base Rules
Lost Legion Rules
Shades of Tezla Rules
Getting Vassal Working

Thread 5 - A Dirty Old Man In The Woods (Life or Death, LL+K+T)
Thread 4 - Baby Stomps (Standard Conquest, LL+K, Newbie)
Thread 3 - xXx_Wolfhawk_Sniper_420_xXx (Standard Conquest, LL+K)
Thread 2 - Le Fanatisme ou Goldyx (Volkare Tough/Fair, LL+K)
Thread 1 - I'd Vlaada Be Playing Talisman (Standard Conquest)

What?

It's Christmas time on the Atlantean Archipelago, and Santa is here to shower all good little Mage Knights with presents. And all the bad ones, too, which is probably for the best because otherwise no fucker would get anything. His elves have searched far and wide, hiding presents under every well-meaning structure they can find, and it's the job of our players to gather as much loot as possible. Just be careful to hang onto it, as tempers might flare over dinner when your lovely little nephew Goldyx decides he wants your Holy Grail instead of his dumb Scythe.

So, what's the plan?
  • This will be a four player competitive game, using the Dungeon Lords scenario detailed below. This scenario is quick-paced and high-power, mostly thanks to an enormous amount of extra dungeons, and only takes 5 days rather than 6.
  • For the first time, full PVP is on. Hold onto your presents tightly!
  • A caveat: I don't know the full PVP rules for poo poo, but we'll figure it out when we come to it.
  • Traditional houserule applies: If your first draw in a given round has no Move, you may mulligan if you wish.
  • When deciding your actions, please do as many actions as possible at once in bold. Obviously stop if you need a tile revealed, or an enemy piece - otherwise, try to bundle as much into a single post as possible. I'm only going to be double-checking your moves, rather than providing blow-by-blow feedback.
  • Off-turn posting and COs are allowed. This is obvious, because sometimes you'll have to pick level-up choices or artifacts and plan your cooperative tactics.
  • Audience posting is allowed, as ever.
Recruiting
  • I'm looking for four players. Please indicate your first two choices of Mage Knight, in order, or else I will assume you want a rando.
  • PMs or email are required. This will purely be to get you a link to your hand when the game starts and/or to poke you if you're going slow.
  • New players are welcome though, uh, it's not my fault if you get rocked and end up with Aunt Volkare's hand-knit chunky sweater and nothing else to show for it.
  • Recruitment will be open for a while depending on how many people sign up. I'd normally do 24 hours, but I wanna get this started already.
  • I would like players who can check in at least once per day or who are prepared to do COs to cover themselves. This is a fast scenario so I'd prefer to go fast.
The Dungeon Lords Scenario
  • The game lasts only five rounds.
  • The map is limited to four columns. As always, this won't be entirely obvious on the map due to issues with the overlay, but I'll call out when we reach that point.
  • Only the Blue city is used. This starts the game friendly, with all players having one shield in it but no-one being leader. Here, Santa may sell you a spell, if you've been a very good Mage Knight.
  • Whenever a tile with a village is revealed, the player who revealed it chooses an adjacent non-swamp, non-lake space. This space contains a dungeon, where Santa's Helpful Elves have stashed the goods. These dungeons act like normal dungeons in all ways.
  • The same holds true for monasteries, except they have a tomb adjacent to them, where Santa's Helpful Elves stashed the really good poo poo.
  • Conquered tombs and dungeons cannot be re-entered for Fame-only fights.
  • All conquered tombs and dungeons - secret or normal - are connected. You may move between tombs and dungeons during your movement by spending 2 Move, +1 per space travelled on the map. This path may not intersect swamps or lakes and must be revealed spaces.
  • The scenario ends - i.e. everyone gets one last turn - when all tiles are revealed and all tombs and dungeons have been conquered.
  • Dungeons and tombs give 4 Fame each at game's end, rather than 2.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Dec 20, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Totally in for a stelas Mage knight game.

Any but Arythea

Have PMs for the initial link.

berenzen fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Dec 20, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
YES.

Breaking from my all-random tradition this time. I've already played Norowas, Tovak, Wolfhawk, and Krang in Stelas's games. Let's complete the circuit.

Please give me Braevalar or Goldyx or Arythea.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 20, 2016

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
I'd like to play, random.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

MinutePirateBug posted:

I'd like to play, random.

Totally forgot to mention - If you get in, I'll need a way to get your hand image to you, either PMs or email.

MinutePirateBug
Mar 4, 2013
minutepiratebug@gmail.com

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

I'd like to play please! Tovak, Goldyx, Krang, random.

e: hurray, PvP! I've had one fight in my last two 1v1 games, not sure if it'll come up more or less here.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Dec 20, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Too busy right now, I'll be :munch:-ing. Good luck everyone!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Always down for a Stelas game. Never played Mage Knight, so I choose Random

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I'll watch but not playing MK online. How many months of commitment? :v:

I did get excited when you said you were running Dungeon Lords but then I remembered you're not WhiteHowler. Alas.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

silvergoose posted:

I'll watch but not playing MK online. How many months of commitment? :v:

I did get excited when you said you were running Dungeon Lords but then I remembered you're not WhiteHowler. Alas.

Hey I've successfully run a game within 3 weeks before. Once, when the stars aligned.

I have run Dungeon Lords for reals before. It'd probably be next on the list once I dig up expansion scans.

Game will get underway in a bit once I get to work.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

SETUP

By random draw, our Rabid Giftfinders are:

rchandra as Tovak
berenzen as Norowas
Gutter Owl as Santa Braevelar
Mykkel as Arythea

(Mykkel, if you ever need help - whether rules or strategy - please feel free to PM me. Mage Knight can be quite fiddly and I'll happily help out. I'm not sure how much exposure you've had to the other threads, though reading some of my posts in http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3720265 might help. I'll also link the sites guide and other bits and bobs at the bottom of each post.)

Stelas fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Dec 20, 2016

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

reading the rules now. Expect stupid questions until the other Knights remove me from play, or I understand what I am doing.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mykkel posted:

reading the rules now. Expect stupid questions until the other Knights remove me from play, or I understand what I am doing.

At it's base level, the game is 'play cards for Move / Attack / Block / whatever else they say on the card, and try to use your cards effectively'. The trick is knowing all the fiddly bits of rules around it and having a sense for what you can and can't do with your current deck. Most important is knowing what the different sites do, which aren't in the rules - but there'll be a link below the post.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

On the First Day of Christmas, Atlantis gave to me
five screaming peasants
four shiny crystals...

The sun rises on the first day.

Please let me know if you can't see any of the graphics clearly. I have a bit more space on imgur I can use to make things bigger nowadays.

Everyone, please pick tactics in the order Tovak, Norowas, Braevelar, Arythea. Your starting hands have been PMmed to you. As first player, I ... guess that rchandra gets to pick which tile adjacent to the revealed village has the hidden dungeon on it?

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Norowas (berenzen) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | Site Reference | Unit Reference

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Well, that was an unexpected 15 hour coma. I need a house-rule mulligan, sorry!

e: I can't remember, is the space SE of the portal accessible on the B tile?

rchandra fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 21, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

rchandra posted:

Well, that was an unexpected 15 hour coma. I need a house-rule mulligan, sorry!

e: I can't remember, is the space SE of the portal accessible on the B tile?

Yep, it's fine. Your mulligan should be up now.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Dungeon E of the green crystal mine. (Stelas didn't mention this, but it also needs to be on a tile with no other feature)

Early Bird

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Planning

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Mana Steal for green.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

I'll go with Great Start .

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

March, Stamina (blue die), Threaten for Move 7.
Move SE, E, SE to the mine.

end turn, green crystal

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Turn order is rejigged. Arythea draws some more cards.

Hidden Dungeons will be denoted by dungeon tokens on the map. Remember you can move onto these spots without fighting!

Tovak trundles over to the mine and picks up some Green Candy.

It is Braevelar's turn!

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 8 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 11 deck.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 7 hand, 9 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Cycle Tranquility for 1 card.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Updated!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Stamina for move 2, move east.

Challenge orcs. Rage + Rage for Block 3. White die, Swiftness (powered) for range 3 and kill. Discard Threaten.

Level, grab Intimidate.

EDIT: Added discard Threaten.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Dec 21, 2016

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Braevelar levels and gains an advanced action and a skill, taking Intimidate from the offer. (For Mykkel: new cards go on top of your deck, before you draw, so you're guaranteed to get them immediately.)

Braevelar draws skills:
Regenerate - Once a turn, pay a mana of any colour to throw away a Wound from your hand. If you use a green mana, draw a card.
Elemental Resistance - Once a turn, either ignore the next 2 points of damage assigned to your hero from a single Ice or Fire attack, or ignore 1 damage if a Normal or Coldfire attack.

It is Norowas' turn!

Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 0 hand, 11 deck, skill choice, draw pending.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Draw Blue,
Power Stamina, and March NW, NE to the ruins.

Planning trigger to draw to 6.

Mage tower should be revealed, by the by.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Ahahahahaha Regenerate. #pureskill

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Due to Norowas moving next to the keep, the keep's enemy is revealed. Speaking of which, the same happens to the mage tower.

It is Arythea's turn!

Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 6 deck.
Norowas (berenzen) - 6 hand, 8 deck.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Sorry think my night is opposite the rest of you.

So Let's see if I do this right:

2 March Swiftness Threaten sideways to move NE, E into the mage tower.

grab a red die to power Rage Determination for attack of 6. Which I think kills the Ice Mage, right?

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Dec 21, 2016

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

...it does. You little loving punk.

You'll probably want to pick up that healing spell as your reward, because the Mage is gonna put three wounds into your hand in the process.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Gutter Owl posted:

...it does. You little loving punk.

You'll probably want to pick up that healing spell as your reward, because the Mage is gonna put three wounds into your hand in the process.

I'm debating between Rebirth, Restoration, and Burning Shield. The shield is pretty tempting.

Woops, I just reread the rules. Rebirth and Restoration are the same spell. Yeah, I'll take that one please.

Mykkel fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 21, 2016

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mykkel posted:

Sorry think my night is opposite the rest of you.

So Let's see if I do this right:

2 March Swiftness Threaten sideways to move NE, E into the mage tower.

grab a red die to power Rage Determination for attack of 6. Which I think kills the Ice Mage, right?

:munch:Facetanking the first structure you see on your first turn is the proest of moves. Also, remember that the first one to reach the bottom of the reputation track is the true winner.:munch:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Fat Samurai posted:

:munch:Facetanking the first structure you see on your first turn is the proest of moves. Also, remember that the first one to reach the bottom of the reputation track is the true winner.:munch:

:munch: These are both completely true statements. :munch:

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea knocks over a Mage Tower and levels, taking Restoration as the prize. Arythea also gets a skill of her choice from the Advanced Action offer.

Arythea draws her skill choice:
Dark Fire Magic: Once a round - i.e. once per day or night - gain a red mana crystal and a red or black mana token.
Dark Paths: Once a turn, gain Move 1, or Move 2 if it's night.

Stuff:
  • For skills, you probably want Dark Fire Magic. Arythea's the only one who can generate black mana on command, and getting crystals for later use is big and clever.
  • For advanced actions... man, that's not a great selection imo. You'd piss off Norowas if you took Chivalry, which would be funny, but the other two are probably more useful.
  • Rebirth and Restoration are the same spell, yep - Rebirth costs a green and a black, though, which means it's only usable at night (Round 2 and Round 4) or in tombs and dungeons (where it's always considered nighttime) as black mana is only available at night.
  • Unfortunately, the advanced action is going to go on top of your deck last, since levelling is the final thing you do on a turn. This means you're going to draw it, rather than Restoration, as your single draw, which will slow you down. It might be worth discarding your final card voluntarily so you draw both new cards next turn and can immediately heal... it'd suck to lose it, though. The other option is to rest next turn, and deal with those wounds later as they come up.
It is Tovak's turn!

By CO, Tovak Crystallizes the gold die into a white crystal, then ends turn, gaining another green crystal from the mine.

It is Braevelar's turn!

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 7 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 6 deck.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 4/5 hand, 9 deck, advanced action choice, skill choice, draw pending.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 21, 2016

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Dark Fire Magic and Crystal Mastery

Discard Concentration

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

A Great Start indeed, Mykkel!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Green die from Mana Steal, One With the Land (powered) + Improvisation for Move 7, discard Promise.

Move SE-E-SE to the hidden dungeon. Not entering just yet.

Blue die from source, Crystalize (powered) for a green crystal.

End turn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hey guyz I hope you like not having a source.

It is Norowas' turn!

Tovak (rchandra) - 5 hand, 7 deck.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 2 deck.
Arythea (Mykkel) - 5 hand, 9 deck.

• Locked thread