Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It is Braevelar's turn, and the last of the game!

Final turns remaining:
Mana Exploit (blue) active! Using any other colour hurts!.
Braevelar (Gutter Owl) - 6 hand, 7 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame Tracker | Site Reference | Unit Reference

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Literally. One. Move. Short. Of reaching the double-purple ruins. Motherfucking hell.

White die (take a wound), Song of Wind (powered) + Improvisation, discarding Mana Meltdown, for Move 5. Plains, Deserts, Wastelands cost 2 less, minimum zero.

E-E-NE-NE, assault mage tower.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It's an Ice Mages (6 Armor, Ice Resist, 5 Ice Attack).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Guardians + Monks for Block 11. Freezers + Intimidate for Attack 8. Kill.

Golden Grail to heal the wound in my hand and gain 1 fame.

Random spell, end game.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

6 Fame levels Braevelar at the last second, earning an extra advanced action and a skill that doesn't matter.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Map

Fame

Final Status

Scoring

quote:

Take your Fame.
Knowledge - 1 point per Advanced Action. 2 points per Spell. Winner gets 3, 1 if tied.
Loot - 1 point per pair of Crystals. 2 points per Artifact. Winner gets 3, 1 if tied.
Leader - Score Fame equal to each Unit's level, halved if wounded. Winner gets 3, 1 if tied.
Conqueror - Score 2 per monastery, mage tower, or keep taken. Winner gets 3, 1 if tied.
Dungeon Crawler - Score 2 per adventure site. Score 4 per dungeon or ruin. Winner gets 5, 2 if tied.
Beating - Lose 2 per Wound. 'Winner' gets an extra -3, -1 if tied.
Arythea (Mykkel)
  • Starting Fame: 51
  • Knowledge: 14
  • Loot: 6
  • Leader: 4
  • Conqueror: 6
  • Dungeon Crawler: 14
  • Beating: -12 - 3
Norowas (berenzen)
  • Starting Fame: 23
  • Knowledge: 8
  • Loot: 4
  • Leader: 5
  • Conqueror: 8 + 1
  • Dungeon Crawler: 6
  • Beating: -10
Tovak (rchandra)
  • Starting Fame: 79
  • Knowledge: 15 + 3
  • Loot: 17 + 3
  • Leader: 6
  • Conqueror: 4
  • Dungeon Crawler: 24 + 5
  • Beating: -4
Braevelar (Gutter Owl)
  • Starting Fame: 63
  • Knowledge: 14
  • Loot: 4
  • Leader: 9 + 3
  • Conqueror: 8 + 1
  • Dungeon Crawler: 12
  • Beating: 0
FINAL SCORES

Norowas (berenzen): 45
Arythea (Mykkel): 80
Braevelar (Gutter Owl): 114
Tovak (rchandra): 152

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

As always, thank you to all my players for keeping up a really brisk pace and sticking with the game - especially in Mykkel's case for getting to grips with the game, and berenzen's for sticking it out even after an extremely unlucky and rough start. I think, in future, a scenario revolving around dungeons probably needs a houserule or two for Norowas to not be immediately depowered - and I probably should have taken him out of the random selection for much the same reasons.

All in all, I don't... actually know if I like this scenario. It's fast and it's high powered, which is fun and all, but there's no big finale to bring it all together - no megacity, no Volkare or Tezla heroes to take down.

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah. This scenario wasn't great for norowas. I think I may have had a chance if Arythea didn't take one of the dungeons, and if the source didn't totally screw me out of a call to glory in the first night. Ah well, I'd like to try norowas again in the future, because I feel that this scenario just didn't showcase him well enough.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

berenzen posted:

Yeah. This scenario wasn't great for norowas. I think I may have had a chance if Arythea didn't take one of the dungeons, and if the source didn't totally screw me out of a call to glory in the first night. Ah well, I'd like to try norowas again in the future, because I feel that this scenario just didn't showcase him well enough.

In a general scenario, Norowas is probably the hero who's most defined by his skills. Getting the right ones early can give him an astonishing power bump - especially the one that gives him an extra command token, because it allows him to take units into places they normally couldn't go (dungeons and tombs). Combine with an Illusionist and he can just enter tombs without giving a poo poo and turn off the dragon's attack. I think in this scenario I'd almost make it mandatory that that's included in his first draw, or something.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Vlaada's already got you covered.

I have to agree, this scenario's lack of a big finale was a bit of a letdown, largely because there wasn't a way to make a comeback. I don't know what turn the fame track first became Nor-Ary-Brae-Tov, but it hasn't budged for the last several rounds. This could probably be mitigated with one of the balancing variants from Lost Legion (Magic Seals, Envy & Pity, Ghostly Attacks).

Thank you again, Stelas. Playing in these games is always a privilege.

I expect the next one up by Monday.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Yeah, Norowas seems very weak here - I think we all got the hero we asked for so Auctioning wouldn't matter? I do like it as a variant, especially the way they did it in the BGG games - draw X heroes and auction from among those only. That way 2p games aren't constantly the same few heroes. I just picked Tovak since I hadn't used him with Stelas and he seemed strong for the scenario. Giving Norowas Bonds by default seems worse.

There were a few turns where I was very concerned about PvP attacks but it's possible people didn't have the hands at the right time. Occasionally it would affect my movement choices, definitely think it's an improvement once you know the game.

I got lucky once or twice with dragon gambles, then didn't have to take the risks later.

Gutter Owl, I was wondering if on the last round you could clear the northern tile with your army before taking the dungeon.

Greatest Knowledge ended up being a lot closer than I thought.

Thanks for the very quick game everybody, especially Stelas! I do like these smaller scenarios for a change, without such a focus on the giant city/volkare battles.

Dr. Video Games 0069
Jan 1, 2006

nice dolphin, nigga
Fun game to watch, thanks for running it Stelas. I'm a little surprised there wasn't more Pvp towards the end, though I'm not too familiar with multiplayer MK.

Agreed that this scenario could use a more epic end. Maybe dungeons should ramp up in difficulty or something, so by day 5 you're fighting 3 dragons per tomb.

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Thanks everyone for putting up with my lack of knowledge. The game was fun. Thanks Stelas for running.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I guess it's kosher for non-players to post now?

Great game everyone, it was fun to watch. MK on the physical table is such a tedious experience, it was nice to see a game where the tactics shone without the problem of analysis paralysis.

On the matter of PvP, there was only one incident, that was basically resolved "diplomatically". Is this common for this kind of scenario? Can any of the players share whether there were any occasions in this game where they considered attacking another player as a viable tactical option, or was it completely off the table?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Rexides posted:

I guess it's kosher for non-players to post now?

Technically, always:

OP posted:

Audience posting is allowed, as ever.

quote:

On the matter of PvP, there was only one incident, that was basically resolved "diplomatically". Is this common for this kind of scenario? Can any of the players share whether there were any occasions in this game where they considered attacking another player as a viable tactical option, or was it completely off the table?

Speaking as someone who has played a ton of MK but PVPed very rarely - I feel like it's in a bit of a weird spot. PVPing costs a lot of cards, might get you screwed, and by its very nature means that you're hanging back rather than pushing forwards. It also doesn't get you a whole lot of Fame, and none if you're bullying someone of lower level. All in all, it feels risky - prone to failure and prone to sucking away your best cards - and so you might as well just find the best spot to get points and cards instead.

That said, I'm interested in the question myself.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
I was a little surprised the first PVP fight didn't break out right at the start when Arythea took that mage tower and had a hand of 3 wounds, restoration, and crystal mastery. Norowas, in particular, could've taken the free fame rather than taking 3 wounds knocking over that first keep.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Rexides posted:

I don't have a ton of PvP experience - in a 2p game it will definitely be more of a factor. For example, towards the end of round 3 I considered attacking Braevalar with the plan to use Tome of All Spells as Sacrifice (in melee) for a ridiculous attack. But it would cost a lot of resources to steal an artefact or two and hand out some wounds, it looks a lot better if I'm sure that no other player is relevant. So it seemed better to just have Sacrifice available in case I was being attacked (if used as Ranged, I might be able to knock out the attacker). At the end of round 1 there was another possibility for me - Braevalar actually had 0 hand with EOR not yet declared, but was a bit out of reach.

I think in practice you have three types of attack - an early one for a quick levelup and/or claiming a hex, an opportunistic theft of artefacts, and a giant crippling attack (seeing Sword of Justice with the player who also had Intimidate was scary).

King of Bleh posted:

I was a little surprised the first PVP fight didn't break out right at the start when Arythea took that mage tower and had a hand of 3 wounds, restoration, and crystal mastery. Norowas, in particular, could've taken the free fame rather than taking 3 wounds knocking over that first keep.

Yeah, keeping an eye out for opportunities based on hand/deck information is good, especially in a forum game. When I was forced into the attack on Round 1 I had to make sure it couldn't go badly (and probably should have done a smaller attack actually; once GO said she was partially attending, the lack of mana die probably reduced her worst-case block/counter).

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

rchandra posted:

I think in practice you have three types of attack - an early one for a quick levelup and/or claiming a hex, an opportunistic theft of artefacts, and a giant crippling attack (seeing Sword of Justice with the player who also had Intimidate was scary).

I was vaguely thinking of coming after you with that combo. But a) it never lined up, and b) PVP can be stopped by a defensive ranged/siege attack to push the aggressor away. I didn't feel like I had a real chance of making it to the Attack step against you, up until I nabbed the Altem Guardians. But by that point the game was pretty well decided, and I never drew SoJ.

I definitely agree that it seems more viable in a two player, zero-sum game. In a 3-5 player game, its a great way to waste a bunch of cards while letting the uninvolved players get ahead.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Gutter Owl posted:

I was vaguely thinking of coming after you with that combo. But a) it never lined up, and b) PVP can be stopped by a defensive ranged/siege attack to push the aggressor away.

Note that you can't push or steal with a Ranged attack, only wound (unless you just wait and use it as melee, but then the aggressor has gotten to move first). So as long as you could avoid knockout that would be fine (I probably should have taken Bow of Starsdawn to make that less possible at the end).

You really got unlucky with that unplaceable tomb tile - I think my preferred ruling in future would be to remove that tile from Dungeon Lords.

rchandra fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jan 15, 2017

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

rchandra posted:

Note that you can't push or steal with a Ranged attack, only wound (unless you just wait and use it as melee, but then the aggressor has gotten to move first). So as long as you could avoid knockout that would be fine (I probably should have taken Bow of Starsdawn to make that less possible at the end).

You really got unlucky with that unplaceable tomb tile - I think my preferred ruling in future would be to remove that tile from Dungeon Lords.

...wait what?

Motherfucker. Shows you how much I've actually played with PVP.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
Having already played 6 or 7 games of Mage Knight and Lost Legion since getting it a few weeks ago, these threads are amazing an amazing way to sate my addiction while I'm at work. It's cool to follow along and to read through past games to get a sense for what makes for a good player. Stelas, you are a god among men for putting these things together, and I'd love to be involved in the next one if possible! Should I just keep my eyes peeled for a new recruitment thread in TGR or is there a secret wait list or something?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mikey Purp posted:

Should I just keep my eyes peeled for a new recruitment thread in TGR or is there a secret wait list or something?

I'll always announce a new game both in the boardgame thread and in this thread. New games go up every so often, though it's not like I ever have a plan on what I'm going to run next!

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

we were somewhere around hesaim on the edge of the spinward marches when the drugs began to take hold.

Board game thread?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Mykkel posted:

Board game thread?

Board Game Thread.

e: Bonus but sadly short-lived PBP thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mykkel
Oct 8, 2012

Cool, thanks.

• Locked thread