Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Poque posted:

I'll take a link to a mod doc or spec doc if you're making one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I think the setup needed more variance to prevent solving by claim.

Like maybe there should have been One, Two, and Three Palettes rather then two of each. Maybe one of the town brushes should have started with a mixed paint and a scum fake claim should have been a primary color. Etc.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Well, if you look at just fake claims it was:

Red, Yellow, Blue, Orange, Purple Brush
3 Red palette, 3 yellow palette, 2 blue palette

Which is pretty reasonable. Unfortunately, by the end of D2 both scum palettes and the serial killer had flipped so they were able to figure out that the town was fairly symmetrical and that stickup was the odd man out. Had the deaths gone down almost any other way, town would have had multiple palettes with 'bad colors' and it would have been more of a tossup.

Yup, just saying if you made the town side not so easily solvable, it helps with the rest of the setup. Like town starting with Red Yellow Purple brushes would help both the Blue and Orange brush fake claims. And if the town palettes were 1 red, two yellow, three blue, then when combined with a fake red palette and a fake yellow palette, things are much harder to solve just on claim. Like then maybe town assumes one of the blues has to be bad.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

It's like in games where flavor matters, if you are doing say, the fantastic four, at least one of the main fantastic four needs to be a fake mafia claim.

King Burgundy
Sep 17, 2003

I am the Burgundy King,
I can do anything!

I'm not sure that much would have changed in this game given how badly scum did, but I think it would have at least given Stickup a viable space to hide in.

SirSamVimes posted:

If the brown/black pallettes actually did their thing then they could easily claim that they got mixed to those colours by someone else.

Mixed from what though? The problem was, imho, the base setup didn't allow them a good starting place. Especially in the starting brush colors where all the primaries were town. Palettes are more arguable, but still it boiled down to one fake claim in each of two groupings since town was 2 2 2.

None of this is intended as poo pooing the game. I think this was one of the most creative mafia ideas yet. I'm just trying to improve it if something like it is done again.

• Locked thread