Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

Fall Dog posted:

I made vegan Cajun red beans and rice (but added sausages I smoked earlier in the day to my portion).

It was the first time trying it out so I have no idea what the authentic dish tastes like, but my partner and I were very happy with what I produced. I think next time I might try adding a splash of cider vinegar just before serving to try to make up for the lack of pickled meat.

Aramoro posted:

Chaat Masala potatoes with Yoghurt and Tamirind. I've made this a few time and it's absolutely amazing as a side or a big plate to pick at.

Shout out to both of these, made both and they were killer.

Since I have the Chaat Masala spice and tamarind paste sitting around now, do you recommend any other recipes to try using these ingredients? I'm googling recipes but I'd be interested in any suggestions from the thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Harissa paste mackerel with tomato and pomegranate salad

It was very good, i love mackerel. Like top 3 fish.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

extremely fuckable dish you got there, A++

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Made some Bkelia, a potato, butter bean and spinach stew.

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

hobbez posted:

Since I have the Chaat Masala spice and tamarind paste sitting around now, do you recommend any other recipes to try using these ingredients? I'm googling recipes but I'd be interested in any suggestions from the thread

I love chana chaat,
this is a nice recipe: https://www.flourandspiceblog.com/chana-chaat-easy-recipe/

mystes
May 31, 2006

This isn't the general chaat thread :colbert:

paraquat
Nov 25, 2006

Burp

mystes posted:

This isn't the general chaat thread :colbert:

In that case, here's my lamb-eggplant kebab

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
That lamb/aubergine stripy business is very pleasing.

mystes
May 31, 2006

paraquat posted:

In that case, here's my lamb-eggplant kebab

:swoon:

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
powdered mushrooms

and red miso paste

cooked for 3.5 hours

brushed with a glaze made of: browned butter, onion, garlic, ginger, chili flakes, gochujang, tamari, rice vinegar, honey, and tamarind

set for a few minutes under the broiler

I won the golden balls and can wear them for the next cook off

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Made some breakfast for dinner

Çılbır

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
Had our Thanksgiving on Sunday and I've been trying to come up with ways to use leftovers that my wife will actually eat

So I made Tom kha with turkey

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Toad in the Squashed hole, leading to peas.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

just got done baking my contribution to thanksgiving dinner. Cranberry curd tarts, I will need to brave the store one last time for some whipping cream to top, after they are set.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

SwissArmyDruid posted:

just got done baking my contribution to thanksgiving dinner. Cranberry curd tarts, I will need to brave the store one last time for some whipping cream to top, after they are set.

I saw a picture of something like this shared by New York Times and very badly wanted to try one. It looks loving delicious. Let us know how they turned out, flavor-wise!

prayer group
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!
cranberry turd carts lol

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

On my own for Thanksgiving this year so I roasted some chicken legs I got from my farm share.

Roasted chicken legs, split into drums and thighs, with mashed potatoes and roasted brussel sprouts. I missed my Tia's cooking so I stole her forbidden mashed potato technique and mixed a half tub of chive and onion cream cheese into the pot before serving.

Basic but tasty. I did get to teach my dog the time honored tradition of snacking on crispy, savory chicken skin after the chicken legs came out of the oven though. He seemed to appreciate that, at least. :unsmith:

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
We don't really care about turkey or any of that stuff so we made a meat and cheese lasagna, garlic bread, and a simple salad with cerignola olive dressing.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Lunch is a kind of dinner right? I'll post nood

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I saw a picture of something like this shared by New York Times and very badly wanted to try one. It looks loving delicious. Let us know how they turned out, flavor-wise!

Deliciously. I think it needed the little extra bit of sweetness provided by whipped cream afterwards, but at its base, it was good to go for CROTCHETY OLDER ASIAN RELATIVES who bitch about anything being too sweet, too rich, too caramelized, etc, etc.

Here is the recipe I used, it makes one, but I doubled the recipe to make two. https://www.americastestkitchen.com/recipes/13333-cranberry-curd-tart-with-almond-crust

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Nov 27, 2023

ogarza
Feb 25, 2009
Fired up the grill yesterday after stumbling on some lamb leg at the store..

brushed some rosemary and garlic infused butter on the bread and lamb, the pita dough has some oregano in it

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

It was a couple of days ago but I prepared roast pheasant from scratch for the first time
From

To

To

End result doesn't actually look appetising but holy hell the flavour was strong. I probably didn't enjoy it as much as I could because I was constantly fretting about whether I'd done a good enough job prepping and cooking it.

I still have another bird to prepare but I might butcher it and freeze the meat to make a pie in the future.

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
Game like that is one of my wife's favourite things, but I'm not a fan.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Didn’t get a good cross section of this Shepard’s Pie, but it was excellent.

Technically a Cottage Pie because it’s made with ground beef instead of lamb, but whatever.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

me and my buddies out in our dune buggies on that shepherd's pie

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I make Shepard’s Pie with seitan and no one will tell me otherwise. :colbert:

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

Toe Rag posted:

I make Shepard’s Pie with seitan and no one will tell me otherwise. :colbert:

I’ve made it with ground tofu plenty of times and it comes out great that way too.

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

As it happens, I also made a garden pie the other day using green lentils.

I might try using a smaller-sized lentil like brown or black to see how that changes the texture, and maybe incorporate TVP as well.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

I’ll keep the vegan going with some chickpea & potato curry.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Couple of recent dinners and desserts. Been on a pie kick lately,

Cranberry Orange pie - came out nice, will make again.

Chess Pie - lovely overall but a bit too sweet, dialing down the sugar a bit in the next one if I can.

Roast cabbage with coconut milk and chickpeas. Bon Appetit recipe, came out well.

Chicken and sausage jambalaya

Chicken fricassee with sage and apples, roast potato and brussels

Apple crisp w vanilla ice cream

Lentil loaf w rice and gravy

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
just chiming in to tell you all that you make incredible food and I want to eat it

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

made some high hydration foccacia and lobster/crab bisque for new years

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser
I just want to close my eyes
I just want to fall asleep
'Cause I love you baby
But I don't want to cook a thing

I just sang this to my wife to explain why we're having takeout pizza for dinner tonight.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Simple, but the Mickey Mouse dishes really elevate it

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

I got gifted American Sfoglino and a mattarello for Christmas so decided to make Spinach maltagliati with Roast Butternut and mascapone sauce with some fresh pesto.

It was good.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
first time making ghormeh sabzi!

onion, turmeric and pepper, salt and beef bouillon, garlic, fenugreek, dried limes, and a lemon for juicing

parsley and cilantro

had Indian buffet for lunch, stopped at the Indian grocery for a few particulars, then grabbed some lamb from the halal butcher next door. All owned by the same family

a poo poo load of herbs chopped up with 2 bunches of green onions and about 3/4 lb chopped spinach

sauteed onions and garlic with the turmeric and pepper, then the lamb, then in goes the salt and beef bouillon and 4 cups water. simmered for an hour uncovered, then in goes the limes

after another hour, time to saute all the greens. fenugreek in towards the end

fifteen minutes later, beans and greens into the stew

and another hour of simmering

off the heat, limes out, fresh lemon juice in, and time to eat

it was delicious! insanely flavorful, the lamb just melted and the heavy citrus is a great contrast to its gaminess

will definitely make again!

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

That sounds incredible, and it reminds me that there's a Middle Eastern grocery store about 10 minutes from me. Guess I'm making a trip there soon to pick up dried limes!

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
That's one of my favorite meals. Persian stores will have packets of dried herbs that are much more convenient than processing all the fresh stuff and taste just as good. I always serve it with a simple cucumber/tomato/onion salad and a big dollop of plain yogurt.

Force de Fappe
Nov 7, 2008

Ghormeh sabzi is so, so good. Last night I made ash-e reshteh, which is another of those "all the herbs" Persian dishes.

I've never made it before because it seemed a little bland.

Wrong.

Oh, and thick spaghetti work just fine instead of the reshteh noodles. God dammit it was so good after the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

ihop posted:

That's one of my favorite meals. Persian stores will have packets of dried herbs that are much more convenient than processing all the fresh stuff and taste just as good. I always serve it with a simple cucumber/tomato/onion salad and a big dollop of plain yogurt.

Good to know! Thanks!