Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh goodie, I'll advance Arts and Sculptures as well then

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The first round is not very scintillating, I admit.

Turn 1-2-4 - It is Greece's turn!

Blue - Straight White Shark - Egypt (Ramses II)
Yellow - Gutter Owl - Japan (Emperor Jimmu)
Red - Retro Futurist - Persia (Darius)
Green - frankenfreak - Greece (Alexander the Great)
Reference Post | Zoomed-In Tech Board | Condensed Rules

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turn 1-2-4 - Greece

1. Advance Tactics for 2 food, play IDEA SYNERGY to gain 2 ideas
2. Advance Myths for 2 ideas
3. Activate Alexandria and collect 1 food, 1 ore

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Greece plays IDEA SYNERGY:

quote:

IDEA SYNERGY - Play this card after getting an advance. Gain 2 Ideas.

A reminder: after this round is the first Status Phase. As part of that, you'll gain a free tech, and an extra action and objective card.

Turn 1-3-1 - It is Egypt's turn!

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Egypt 1-3

1. Activate Egyptopolis to Collect, gain 2 food
2. Advance Rituals for 2 food, unlock Embalming
3. Advance Mathematics for free (Priesthood.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

If people could call out what they want their free end-of-round techs to be ahead of time, that'll make updating a bit faster - if you're not sure or if it depends on someone else's pick, don't worry too much about it, though.

Egypt techs up en masse, and I'm still not really sure why Priesthood catapults Science.

Turn 1-3-2 - It is Japan's turn!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Stelas posted:

Egypt techs up en masse, and I'm still not really sure why Priesthood catapults Science.

"There was a time when I searched for steel, when steel meant more to me than gold or jewels... but steel isn't strong, boy; flesh is stronger."

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Advance Draft, collect 2 food, advance Nationalism/Shogunate. End of round, advance Husbandry/Horsemanship.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Japan becomes an Autocracy!

Interesting to see the level of teching up going on here. Egypt's start is a textbook tech rush from the non-expansion version that just happens to align with its national techs. I did not expect to see an Autocracy so early but it's a good way to spawn new dudes.

Soon going to be time to start hunting down territory, though. Tall cities are unquestioningly better in Clash of Cultures - more size, more resources gained - but the activation system means it's best to have two big cities that you can alternate between, sizing up one with the resources gathered by the other.

In case people are being hesitant, it's important to note that Settlers or Leaders will never be attacked by Barbarians, at least via standard means - barbarian camps only raid cities.

Turn 1-3-2 - It is Persia's turn!

Stelas fucked around with this message at 08:33 on Jan 20, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Yeah that was my plan. So how do I expand?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Yeah that was my plan. So how do I expand?

You can increase the size of a city by activating it and spending 1 Food, 1 Wood, 1 Ore - but you can only do that if you have enough cities. To increase a city to size 2, you've got to have 2 cities.

(You also need to have the right tech - Tactics for Fortress, Writing for Academy, Myths for Temple, Fishing for Port, Bartering for Market, Art + Sculptures for Obelisk, Mathematics for Apothecary.)

To found a new city you've just got to move your Settler somewhere, and use the Found City option. You can't build on Barren land, but you can build anywhere else. You can even build adjacent to an existing city - but a city cannot gather from a hex that has another city on it, so it'll restrict your gather options.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Stelas posted:

In case people are being hesitant, it's important to note that Settlers or Leaders will never be attacked by Barbarians, at least via standard means - barbarian camps only raid cities.
Well now I look a bit silly with my collecting ore to build an army before heading out. (No biggie, though, since I wanted to have one anyway to continue exploring after founding my second city anyway.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

It won't hurt to have an Army around. If nothing else, bopping Barbarians is a pretty good source of early-game Gold, which acts as a wildcard resource.

... why is my condensed rules missing them completely? Ugh. Okay, they're listed in the full rules, but a quick overview:
  • Some Event cards will spawn barbarians, as will some map tiles.
  • Generally, Barbarians hang around being annoying. If you capture a barbarian settlement, you gain 1 Gold per Barbarian unit you killed, and another if you raze the camp rather than take it for your own.
  • Some Event cards will cause a barbarian attack. When this happens, the biggest barbarian camp within 2 tiles of one of your cities attacks the closest city it can reach. This attack lasts 1 turn.
  • When barbarians attack, they're trying to destroy bits of the city. Any hit they score past the amount needed to kill all defenders will instead take out a building.

I've updated the condensed rules in the OP / the latest post to reflect this. My apologies for, uh, managing to totally forget it.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll send my settlers up one hex then (I'm assuming they can only move one spot at a time?)

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I'm not sure if I want to root for Retro Futurist, to carry on my Persian legacy, or Gutter Owl, as my main stelasgame rival.

Also Hi Stelas!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

You've only got one settler - the other is your Leader, who can give bonuses to armies or cities he's with. Which is not to say you can't move him as well, if you want to get exploring.

Normally, water is forced to the edge of the map where possible - but again, the cardinal rule is 'don't drown units', so the tile is flipped. Pirates appear!

Pirates are less annoying than Barbarians, pretty much. Whenever you draw an Event with a Pirate Raid, you'll lose a resource or a Mood for each pirate ship within 2 spaces of one of your cities, limit one per city. Then, you get to send them off elsewhere to harass someone else. Defeating Pirates gets you 1 Gold and 1 Mood, but obviously you need some ships to do it.

Turn 1-3-2 - It is Persia's turn! Two moves, two actions remain.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Jan 21, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Either I'm completely confused or you moved frank instead of me

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Ah, poo poo, you're quite right. Sorry about that, one sec. Shouldn't update while I'm dealing with on-call stuff...

... map is updated. Same tile, rotated to avoid drowning, etc.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Jan 21, 2017

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Activate Babylon to collect food and advance Mathematics

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For reaching 3 Culture, Persia generates an Event:

A Good Year posted:

You gain 2 Food. Select another player to gain 2 Food, or two players to gain 1 Food each. Exhaust a space.

Exhausting a space means it will no longer produce any resources for the rest of the game. You cannot exhaust Barren spaces, and have to exhaust a space adjacent to one of your Cities.

Turn 1-3-4 - It is Greece's turn!

Persia needs to nominate a player to gain 2 Food, or two players to gain 1 Food each, and must pick a space to exhaust.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I'll exhaust the forest to the NW and give one food each to Japan and Egypt

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turn 1-3-4 - Greece

1. Activate Alexandria to build an army
2. Move settler, army, and Alexander north
3. Activate Alexandria a second time to collect 2 food, setting it to neutral

Picking State Religion for my status phase advance.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The First Age has ended!

STATUS PHASE 1

No-one reveals any Objectives.

Pliny's Most Powerful Civilizations of the World, Vol. I posted:

Egypt - 1 (Cities) + 5 (Advances) + 0 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 6
Japan - 1 (Cities) + 4 (Advances) + 0 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 5
Persia - 1 (Cities) + 3 (Advances) + 0 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 4
Greece - 1 (Cities) + 2 (Advances) + 0 (Objectives) + 0 (Wonders) + 0 (Events) = 3

Egypt learns State Religion, earning an Event.

A Fine Year posted:

All players gain 1 Food. Barbarians appear!

With only one place they can legally appear, a large band of brigands takes up residence in the hills near Egypt. Theoretically, Egypt could choose to place 1 Barbarian Infantry and 1 Barbarian Cavalry or Elephant... but since they're menacing Egypt itself, I assume they'll both be Armies instead. Persia and Greece do not gain any Food due to being at Storage limit.
Japan learns Husbandry.
Persia learns Public Education.
Greece learns State Religion, also earning an Event.

Population Boom posted:

Place a free Settler in one of your cities. Select another player, who also gets to place a free Settler in one of his cities. Barbarians appear!

Everyone draws a new Action and Objective card. These have been updated on your inventories.

Egypt + Persia are tied for Mood and Culture, at a total of 5 each. As such, Egypt retains first player status.

Turn 2-1-1: It is Egypt's turn!

Action Queue
- Egypt: Confirm Barbarian placement (i.e. 2 Armies or 1 Army 1 Something Else)
- Greece: Choose a player to gain a Settler.
- Greece: Choose a non-Barren space within 2 spaces of your city to spawn a Camp + 1 Army.
- Greece: Choose a Camp (including the one you just placed) to add a Barbarian Army to, or optionally an Elephant or Cavalry if it already has troops.
- All Players: Raze a size 1 city, if you wish.
- All Players: Retire your Leader to draw a random new one, if you wish.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Sorry, Egypt, but I'll be a bit egotistical and not place that additional army in "my" camp. I will, however, not be a complete dick and make it a normal troop and give you that free settler as a bit of a consolation.

quote:

- Greece: Choose a player to gain a Settler.
Egypt

quote:

- Greece: Choose a non-Barren space within 2 spaces of your city to spawn a Camp + 1 Army.
D12

quote:

- Greece: Choose a Camp (including the one you just placed) to add a Barbarian Army to, or optionally an Elephant or Cavalry if it already has troops.
Army at D2

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Well sheeeeeit. Confirm regular barbs.

Egypt 2-1
1. Move a settler S. Saving the rest of my moves til I know what's what.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

For good measure, Egypt uncovers some pirates.

Turn 2-1-1: It is Egypt's turn! 2 moves, 2 actions remaining.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I uncovered some mountains, good enough for me.

Egypt 2-1 cont'd

1.5. Move 2nd settler north
2. Advance Dogma for 2 food
3. Activate Egyptopolis, collect 1 food and 1 ore

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Japan 2-1. Move Settler NW.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Egypt becomes a Theocracy!

Turn 2-1-2: It is Japan's turn! Two moves, two actions remain.

The newly uncovered area may be rotated 180' if desired, since either placement would be valid.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Current rotation is perfect.

Found the city of Nara, Civic to make it happy.

Pay 1 culture to play City Growth, adding a Fortress to Nara. (Shogunate waives the AAA requirement.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Japan founds Nara, spends 1 Mood to make it happy, and plays - at no action cost, due to kingdom silliness:

quote:

CITY GROWTH - Pay 1 Culture Token to play. As an action, you may activate a city and increase its size at no resource cost. Other rules for increasing the size of a city still apply i.e. you need the appropriate amount of cities and cannot duplicate pieces.

Turn 2-1-3: It is Persia's turn!

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Move settler NE

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Same deal as before, the new tile can be rotated 180' if desired. (For instance, cities can't be founded on Barren land unless you're Egypt.)

Turn 2-1-3: It is Persia's turn! Two moves, two actions remain.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Settle Persepolis there, and get Free Education

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Settle Persepolis there, and get Free Education

Just to confirm: you're rotating the tile? The space the settler is on is Barren, so can't settle there as-is.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
My first move will be moving the settler NE NW (alone at first).

frankenfreak fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Jan 22, 2017

Dancer
May 23, 2011

frankenfreak posted:

My first move will be moving the settler NE (alone at first).

Into the barbarian camp :v: ?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Stelas posted:

Just to confirm: you're rotating the tile? The space the settler is on is Barren, so can't settle there as-is.

Oh whoops, forgot about that. Ok let's 1) move them to the woods to the NW and 2) Settle there for my turn instead, that work?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Retro Futurist posted:

Oh whoops, forgot about that. Ok let's 1) move them to the woods to the NW and 2) Settle there for my turn instead, that work?

That does, but you won't get to research the advance - your actions would be Move-Move-Found rather than Move-Found-Advance. If you rotate the tile you can settle on the mountains, which is a-okay to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

Dancer posted:

Into the barbarian camp :v: ?
Of course not. I meant NW. Thanks for the catch!

• Locked thread