Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-1-3 - It is Egypt's turn!

Greece's techs are fixed up (and as such, Greece gets the Idea I didn't give them yet.)

Egypt attempts to influence Nara further and succeeds! Eventually! (1 + 3 Culture = 4)

Egypt's forces assault Japan's army!
Egypt plays Cavalry:

Cavalry posted:

Army: If, during this turn, you eliminate as many or more units than your opponent, make another combat roll using only d6s. This roll can eliminate at most one unit.
Japan plays Defiant Stand:

Defiant Stand posted:

DEFIANT STAND - Army/Fortress/Ship: If you are the defender, +1 CV for each enemy unit.

Egypt Forces: 4 Armies = 4d6 = 12! 2 hits!
Japan Forces: 3 Armies + Defiant Stand = 3d6+4 = 15! 3 hits!
The Egyptian cavalry charge fails! Maybe you should've brought some horses!

Egypt may continue the assault if desired.

Action Queue
- Persia: Place tile 1, Barbarian Camp.
- Egypt: Continue assault?
- Egypt: 2 more moves.

Red - Triskelli - Persia (Xerxes)
Green - frankenfreak - Greece (Alexander the Great)
Blue - Straight White Shark - Egypt (Cleopatra)
Yellow - Gutter Owl - Japan (Emperor Jimmu)
On Table - Trojan Horse - Upon attacking a player city, the attacking player may pay 1 Culture and 1 Wood to prevent the defender from playing any Combat cards the first combat round. This card is then kept by the player and is worth 1 VP.
Reserved - Lighthouse (Persia)
Reference Post | Zoomed-In Tech Board | Condensed Rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Onwards! :black101:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

I'll place the new tile with the forest facing north, and the barbarian camp on the edge of the map.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

The assault continues! Japan plays Peltasts:

Peltasts posted:

Prior to a combat roll, roll a d6 for each Army unit. If you score at least one hit, you may cancel one of your opponent's hits on the upcoming roll.

Japanese Peltasts: 1d6 = 5!
Egypt Forces: 1 Army = 1d6 = 2!
Japan Forces: 1 Army = 1d6 = 1!

Egypt Forces: 1 Army = 1d6 = 3!
Japan Forces: 1 Army = 1d6 = 6! 1 hit!

Japan successfully defends! Egypt already gained its Culture for Embalming.
Egypt recovers an Infantry.

TURN 5-1-4 - It is Japan's turn!

Action Queue
- Japan: Apothecary?
- Japan: Recover Action Card?
- Japan: Take turn.

On Table - Trojan Horse - Upon attacking a player city, the attacking player may pay 1 Culture and 1 Wood to prevent the defender from playing any Combat cards the first combat round. This card is then kept by the player and is worth 1 VP.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Feb 14, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Spend 1 food, recover army in Egyptopolis. No additional moves.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Above post updated!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Recover Peltasts. Can't apothecary, no food.

1) Move inf+Jimmu into Egyptburg. Hooray! Also, move cav to Osaka.
2) Activate Nara for 2 food, 2 ore (husbandry+roads).
3) Activate Egyptburg, spend food+ore to make a cavalry. Gain 1 mood (Nationalism).

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Recover Peltasts. Can't apothecary, no food.

e: Never mind I'm dumb.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Feb 15, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Japan spends a Culture to recover Inspiration/Peltasts back to hand.

Egyptburg is taken in Japan's name!
For taking a non-angry city, Japan are paid 3 Gold in spoils.
In response to a non-angry city being captured, Egypt may place a Settler in a city of their choice.

TURN 5-2-1 - It is Persia's turn!

Action Queue
- Egypt: Place Settler.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Settler in Egyptopolis. Also, if I'm not mistaken I get an infantry spawn from Fanaticism since there's a temple in the fallen city, which also goes in Egyptopolis.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Okay, so. +1 gold from Banking for a max of 8 shiny coins.

I trade with Japan and Greece for +3 Food.

1.) Advance Chemistry with two ideas (+1 Mood). Play Tech Synergy to advance Metallurgy simultaneously, netting me an additional +2 culture. I also play Idea Synergy for +2 Ideas.

2.) Advance Absolute Power with 2 ideas (+1 Mood).

So my resources shake out to 3F, 1O, 0W, 0I, 4C, 7M, 8G.

I now activate Susa, build the Great Lighthouse as a free action (3Ore, 5Wood, 3Food, 5Culture), using 1 Ore, 3 Food, 7 Gold, and 3 Culture. This grants me a free ship in the city.

3.) Move my three ships to the south coast of Nara at H6.

4.) I spend 2 mood to activate Absolute Power and Collect 1 food, wood, ore, and Idea at Babylon.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Feb 16, 2017

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Yo, I just realized my mistake earlier. I said "food+ore for a cavalry."

Should have been "food+wood for a cavalry."

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
I think you've got another action Triskelli, part of the benefit of reserving a wonder with Monuments is that it no longer costs an action to build.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Straight White Shark posted:

I think you've got another action Triskelli, part of the benefit of reserving a wonder with Monuments is that it no longer costs an action to build.

Oh, got it. Revised orders are edited into my post.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bit of a rough night on-call. Update either in a little, or come morning NZ time.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Gutter Owl posted:

Yo, I just realized my mistake earlier. I said "food+ore for a cavalry."

Whoops. Sorted. (Japan's ore goes up one, wood goes down one.)

Also, yeah, you don't get a free move immediately after building the Lighthouse as far as I can tell.

Unfortunately, after that pause:

Triskelli posted:

1.) Advance Chemistry with two ideas (+1 Mood). Play Tech Synergy to advance Metallurgy simultaneously, netting me an additional +2 culture. I also play Idea Synergy for +2 Ideas.

2.) Advance Absolute Power with 2 ideas (+1 Mood).

Tech Synergy allows you to buy 2 techs in a single action, but you have to pay for both. You're out of Ideas after the first!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

E: vvv :science: vvv

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Feb 17, 2017

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Er, Metallurgy is free at that point because he has Chemistry innit?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Er, Metallurgy is free at that point because he has Chemistry innit?

Fair point!

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Sorry, I'm pretty frazzled. Can't even take comfort in it being Friday!

TURN 5-2-1 - It is Persia's turn!

Persia plays both Tech Synergy (gain a second advance in a single action) and Idea Synergy (+2 Ideas when gaining an advance).

Persia has built the Great Lighthouse in Susa!

Persia hasn't accounted for 2 Culture (7 Gold is being used for 2 Ore and 5 Wood but Triskelli only pays 3 Culture out of 5). For the sake of keeping the game moving I'll juggle around the collect action so it comes beforehand, using 1 Ore and 1 Wood to free up 2 Gold to be used as Culture instead - making the payment 2+1G Ore, 3 Food, 1+4G Wood, 3+2G Culture. We can work it out afterwards if Triskelli'd like a different distribution.

TURN 5-2-2 - It is Greece's turn!

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Well the two culture came from Xerxes' ability Great Builder, which gives me a discount for building Wonders.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Feb 17, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Aw, butt. Okay, yeah, best to call that out since there's already a lot of crosschecking of details and skills that has to go on. Sorry! Image will be fixed on Greece's turn.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turn 5-2-2 - Greece
+1 food from Trade Route with Egyptville
1. Advance Voting for 2 ideas. Draw 1 action and objective card (Writing).

Waiting on the cards before proceeding.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Greece draws an Action and an Objective card.

TURN 5-2-2 - It is Greece's turn! Two actions remain.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
Turn 5-2-2 - Greece (cont.)
2. Advance Economic Liberty for 1 idea, 1 food.
Economic Liberty. Activate Roma to collect 2 wood, 1 ore, 1 food. Gain 1 idea from Public Education.
3. Found city Epirus at D8.
Voting. Pay 1 mood token to take Civic Improvement action at no action cost. Pay 3 mood to impove Epirus and Chersonesos to happy.
Play action card "Leadership". Pay 1 culture for 1 extra action.
Leadership. Increase City Size of Epirus with a temple. Pay 1 ore, 1 wood (State Religion). Generate 1 culture token.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Egypt 5-2

1. Activate Egyptopolis, collect 2 food 1 ore 1 wood

2. Move a single Egyptopolis infantry from C3->C2 and attack. When he inevitably dies, pay 1 food to recover him in Egyptopolis, gain a new infantry in Egyptopolis from Fanaticism, and then do the whole thing again.

Additional moves pending combat results.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pausing for a general strategy from Gutter Owl as to how to handle combat cards.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-2-2 - It is Greece's turn! Two actions remain.

Greece plays Leadership:

Leadership posted:

Pay 1 Culture token to play. Gain an extra action this turn.

TURN 5-2-3 - It is Egypt's turn!

Egypt's forces partially attack Egyptburg!
Japan plays Peltasts.
Japan's Peltasts: 2 Armies = 2d6 = 9! 1 hit blocked!
Egypt's Forces: 1 Army + Fanaticism = 1d6+2 = 6! 0 hits!
Japan's Defenders: 2 Armies = 2d6 = 8! 1 hit!

Egypt's attack is unsuccessful! Japan recovers Peltasts for 1 Culture. Egypt gains 2 Armies in Egyptopolis!

Egypt's forces partially attack Egyptburg!
Japan plays Peltasts.
Japan's Peltasts: 2 Armies = 2d6 = 6! 1 hit blocked!
Egypt's Forces: 1 Army + Fanaticism = 1d6+2 = 8! 0 hits!
Japan's Defenders: 2 Armies = 2d6 = 8! 1 hit!

Egypt's attack is unsuccessful! Egypt gains 2 Armies in Egyptopolis!

By CO, Egypt rinse and repeats.

Egypt's forces you know I think I'll nerf partial attacks into the ground next game, or make Fanaticism 1/round or only trigger on defence or something
Egypt's Forces: 1 Army + Fanaticism = 1d6+2 = 3! 0 hits ... or that will happen, I guess.
Japan's Defenders: 2 Armies = 2d6 = 6! 1 hit!

Egypt gets 1 Army back from Fanaticism, being out of food (and stacking limit).

TURN 5-2-3 - It is Egypt's turn! One action remains.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Stelas posted:

Egypt's forces you know I think I'll nerf partial attacks into the ground next game, or make Fanaticism 1/round or only trigger on defence or something

I still think it's underpowered as an endgame government relative to the pile of free actions that Democracy and to a lesser extent Autocracy get. There's a reason that a lot more civs get juiced up Theocracy than Democracy.

Anyhow:

Gain 3 culture from those 3 combats (Embalming.)
3. Attack Egyptburg 3 more times, 1 at a time.
Gain 1 more culture from Embalming (since it caps out.)
Free (Arts & Sculpture): Spend 1 culture for a free cultural influence on Kashiwahara, dumping 2 culture to boost range (size 3 + Cleo + 2 culture for range 6.) Spend up to 2 culture to boost the roll, success on 2+.
Free (Absolute Power): Spend 2 mood on another action, 3 more attacks por favor (assuming Egyptburg still stands.)
Free (Cleopatra): Drop another culture token in Egyptopolis.

Same CO as before. If it hasn't triggered by the 6th attack, activate it then.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Y'know, Stel, you never actually corrected the thing where I'm supposed to have a cavalry in Egyptburg.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
That changes the math a bit. Slight change in orders: pop my CO after the 5th attack (but still continue on to a 6th attack if needed.)

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I still think it's underpowered as an endgame government relative to the pile of free actions that Democracy and to a lesser extent Autocracy get. There's a reason that a lot more civs get juiced up Theocracy than Democracy.

I strongly disagree with this - not because of the free actions (though your free actions do give easy VP, rather than resources!) but because of the other benefits. At the very least I feel like Fanaticism needs a significant nerf - no other government can make their cities functionally impossible to take over and generate a pile of Infantry for free at no action cost just by taking them back. If there were more ways to mitigate hits it would be balanced, but very few players are going to be able to take over a city, make it happy, and build a Fortress all in one round - the only reliable way to defend against a fanatic rush.

Gutter Owl posted:

Y'know, Stel, you never actually corrected the thing where I'm supposed to have a cavalry in Egyptburg.

I tried! An infantry is like a cavalry!

TURN 5-2-3 CONT.

3.1 - Egypt etc etc.
Egypt's Forces: 1 Army + Fanaticism = 1d6+2 = 6! 1 hit!
Japan's Defenders: 1 Army + 1 Cavalry = 2d6+1 = 7! 1 hit!
Japan's cavalry dies. Egypt gets an Infantry back and a Culture.

3.2 - By CO, Egypt pays 1 Culture to activate Trojan Horse, and moves the entire stack.
Egypt's Forces: 4 Armies + Fanaticism = 4d6+2 = 13! 2 hits!
Japan's Defenders: 1 Army = 1d6 = 5! 1 hit!
Egypt reclaims Egyptburg! Emperor Jimmu has died in battle!

Due to the city being unhappy, there are no spoils or refugees.

Pausing for other moves / reconfirm of free actions.

Yellow - Gutter Owl - Japan (-)

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
[quote="Stelas" post="46955 1873"]
I strongly disagree with this - not because of the free actions (though your free actions do give easy VP, rather than resources!) but because of the other benefits. At the very least I feel like Fanaticism needs a significant nerf - no other government can make their cities functionally impossible to take over and generate a pile of Infantry for free at no action cost just by taking them back. If there were more ways to mitigate hits it would be balanced, but very few players are going to be able to take over a city, make it happy, and build a Fortress all in one round - the only reliable way to defend against a fanatic rush.
[/quote]

Fanaticism defenses look really daunting and impressive but I'm convinced they really are a pretty niche benefit. It's almost purely a damage mitigation strategy--at best you can combine it with apothecaries to generate half-price armies (not free) but considering you typically have to lose a city to kickstart the chain this is more of a consolation prize than anything. Egypt is designed around maximum Fanaticism abuse and all I have to show for it is that my poo poo is slightly less wrecked than it would be if I had to face Japan's pile of bullshit without my own pile of bullshit.

Anyhow:

3 cont'd. For the 3rd move, Egyptopolis settler moves south C3->C5.
Free (Arts & Sculptures). Dump culture into cultural influence on Kashiwahara as previous orders.
Free (Absolute Power). Spend 2 mood, activate Egyptville to collect 1 food/1 ore/1 wood (note that Trojan Horse spent my wood, so I still only have 1 wood.)
Free (Cleopatra). If I have any culture tokens left after the cutlure attempt, drop one in Egyptopolis.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
Yeah, I have to say that was cool, but it is not as ridiculous as what I was pulling off the last game. I was basically pulling off a wonder a turn at the end in that one.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-2-3 CONT.

Egypt attempts to influence Kashiwabara! (1)

TURN 5-2-4 - It is Japan's turn!

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

1) Research Free Education. Pause for Event.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-2-4 - It is Japan's turn! Two actions remain.

Japan draws an Event:

Great Statesman posted:

Put this card on the table. The first player to pay 1 Culture may, as an action, both: a) Gain a free Government advance, b) Draw 2 Action cards. Barbarians appear!

On Table - Great Statesman (Pay 1 Culture to gain a Government advance and draw 2 action cards.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

2) Activate Kashi, spending 1 mood to get 1 cavalry (draft), gaining 1 culture (nationalism).

3) Spend culture to redeem Great Statesman, picking up Totalitarianism and 2 cards.

Spend 2 mood for an extra action (Absolute Power).

4) Activate Osaka to build an Academy, gaining 2 ideas.

Wait to see what I draw from Great Statesman before passing turn.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Feb 21, 2017

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

TURN 5-2-4 - It is Japan's turn! Only free actions remain.

Japan also has a Barbarians to place.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Feb 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

End turn. (I should be at zero culture.)

EDIT: Barb village north of Osaka with infantry. Barb Elephant over by Egyptville.

gutterdaughter fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Feb 21, 2017

• Locked thread