Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

basically what the thread title says

by "major" I mean like, not some lovely bespoke dog treat startup company, I mean bigger poo poo like uber

speaking of: uber is the company I pick to die but not for the reason you think: they'll actually get a major windfall when the economy collapses and people need to find new work and sign up in droves, which causes cab companies in smaller cities (ie: NOT nyc or whatever) to go out of business, uber briefly holds a near-monopoly on the transportation market in some cities but as so many people turn to companies like uber to try to make the ends meet none of those people will be able to make enough money to even pay for gas as the sheer volume of labor competition causes uber's pricing algorithms to push fare prices lower and lower, their market share will bloat as prices drop so much that it briefly becomes cheaper to hire an uber than to drive your own car, and then the drivers will all quickly abandon their short-lived careers as uber drivers and the company's valuation bottoms out over night

like the time the dutch went bonkers for tulips, except with cars that drive you home from the weed store so your idiot baby rear end doesn't even have to wait thirty minutes to get high

this isn't limited to start ups I just picked uper because they will probably have a funny death and will probably be the first "major startup" to die at the start of the new tech collapse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

in before someone says "america lol"

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

You can smoke weed and then drive a car op. It's a fun thing to do.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

SpaceGoku posted:

basically what the thread title says

by "major" I mean like, not some lovely bespoke dog treat startup company, I mean bigger poo poo like uber

speaking of: uber is the company I pick to die but not for the reason you think: they'll actually get a major windfall when the economy collapses and people need to find new work and sign up in droves, which causes cab companies in smaller cities (ie: NOT nyc or whatever) to go out of business, uber briefly holds a near-monopoly on the transportation market in some cities but as so many people turn to companies like uber to try to make the ends meet none of those people will be able to make enough money to even pay for gas as the sheer volume of labor competition causes uber's pricing algorithms to push fare prices lower and lower, their market share will bloat as prices drop so much that it briefly becomes cheaper to hire an uber than to drive your own car, and then the drivers will all quickly abandon their short-lived careers as uber drivers and the company's valuation bottoms out over night

like the time the dutch went bonkers for tulips, except with cars that drive you home from the weed store so your idiot baby rear end doesn't even have to wait thirty minutes to get high

this isn't limited to start ups I just picked uper because they will probably have a funny death and will probably be the first "major startup" to die at the start of the new tech collapse

Uber has never turned a profit. Like it lost a couple BILLION last year and has no actual path to making money.

Anyway my vote is Apple Computers Inc. or whatever their official name is. You can only rip people off so many times before they quit buying cell phones and nothing else that company makes is worth a goddamn.

edit: also Chrysler (again)

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
the United States of America

why: donald trump

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

SpaceGoku posted:

in before someone says "america lol"

poo poo ahahaha posted b4 reading the replies gg wp

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Peanut President posted:

Uber has never turned a profit. Like it lost a couple BILLION last year and has no actual path to making money.

Anyway my vote is Apple Computers Inc. or whatever their official name is. You can only rip people off so many times before they quit buying cell phones and nothing else that company makes is worth a goddamn.

I hope Uber collapses and is replaced with a not for profit worker-owned application that provides the same function but skims less money off the top.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

any1 say the usa

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Best Buy or any number of department stores. I was in an Elder Beerman recently to return Christmas presents and the place felt like a crypt

PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

it is going to definitely be Sears, since they had to recently take money from the ceo's mutual fund or something,it was like $700 million to keep the company afloat

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 10 days!)

The Kingfish posted:

I hope Uber collapses and is replaced with a not for profit worker-owned application that provides the same function but skims less money off the top.

Yeah good one. More like here's this crazy new company that's sweeping the nation called "Tacksie" that lets you call a personal car whenever you want!!! It's valued at 70 billion dollars!

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
uber probably will (and should) get crushed by labor laws

retail in general is in baaaaad shape, e-commerce is robbing them blind, so expect a ton of big names to go under

the jobs they create will also disappear and not be replaced with anything

THe US economy in general may very well slow a bit, and that'll cause companies on the edge to flip, whoever the gently caress they are

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Peanut President posted:

laffo Apple is not going under

they have like the largest reserves of any company

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Here are the companies that have an ~0% chance of dying:

Amazon
Apple
Google/Alphabet
Most of the Military Industrial Dodads
Pfizer & all the big Pharma guys in general
Oil Guys

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
Companies: All German car manufacturers.

Cause of death: Trump

https://twitter.com/SamCoatesTimes/status/821003099850600449

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
something awful, llc.

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Ein cooler Typ posted:

something awful, llc.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
whoever puts out the most efficient car, for its horrendous crime of being Low Energy :sad:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Ein cooler Typ posted:

something awful, llc.

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

Biotechs, vrx and theranos are the big ones

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

whoa theranos is still open?

every time im reminded of that i get a little hopeful for my own skillz at bullshittin :unsmith:

deadgoon
Dec 4, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
i want trump to cyberbully a major multinational corporation to death

Boosted_C5
Feb 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 years!
Grimey Drawer
Buzzfeed, which is a failing pile of garbage.

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Boosted_C5 posted:

Buzzfeed, which is a failing pile of garbage.

d o n t s i g n y o u r p o s t s

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

deadgoon posted:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

deadgoon posted:

United States of America, LLC counts right

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Peanut President posted:

You are stupid

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Peanut President posted:

that's why I picked them, they're gonna look like they will finally start making money and everything will be okay adn then lmao nope welcome to trumps america sucker

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

whoa theranos is still open?

every time im reminded of that i get a little hopeful for my own skillz at bullshittin :unsmith:

They halved they workforce in Jan

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-layoffs-cutting-41-percent-staff

They had 340 layoffs back in October mainly for their lab and manufacturing staff. The more recent layoffs are for the startup campus staff

Also in addition to all the other court cases, they company is now being sued by the Arizona AG over the faulty medical test results

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

etalian posted:

They halved they workforce in Jan

http://www.businessinsider.com/theranos-layoffs-cutting-41-percent-staff

They had 340 layoffs back in October mainly for their lab and manufacturing staff. The more recent layoffs are for the startup campus staff

Also in addition to all the other court cases, they company is now being sued by the Arizona AG over the faulty medical test results

oh yeah i dont imagine ill ever like, be associated with them

just as a bullshit artist, they are a real inspiration :911:

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

crazy cloud posted:

poo poo ahahaha posted b4 reading the replies gg wp

lmao gotcha

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

Regular Nintendo posted:

You are stupid

Apple probably won't fail but he's right to call them out as a company that's gonna eat poo poo because they have made themselves into a luxury brand entirely held aloft by conspicuous consumption and their product quality has been dropping over the past few years

combine that with the dramatic increase in prices after trump decides "Yeah, 35% tarrifs for everything" and china tells him "lmao eat poo poo you piss moron" and suddenly the next iphone is $5000 with a 4 year contract

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Regular Nintendo posted:

You are stupid

I know, Chrysler is owned by Fiat, they are much better owners than Cerberus Capital was

Sears is apparently run by an Objectivist finance bro who believes making departments fight each other for resources, so Sears

Also this dude only ever appears via teleconference, so I think he may be the creation of an evil hacker

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
kill facebook please

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
definitely sears yeah

and radioshack will prolly beat them to the grave

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

colleges in general

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
How long before we find out the Sears CEO doesn't actually exist and is just a brutal satire by a performance art collective

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Chwoka posted:

colleges in general

The education system after it is fully privatized

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

definitely sears yeah

and radioshack will prolly beat them to the grave

I thought RadioShack already bit the dust?

but if I'm going to give a prediction, I would have to say another conspicuous consumer product that's trying to milk fees for installation and upkeep of its commercial products through ironclad terms and DRM claims against self-repair

no, not Apple!!! I'm talking about John Deere!

Victory Position has issued a correction as of 00:37 on Jan 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

A health insurance company or two if the following happens (ranked by both sequence and least to most absurd):

A) they actually replace Obamacare
B) they actually get rid of the individual mandate
C) said plan actually meets trumps scatterbrained response of every citizen in the country getting insurance without a noticeable decreahahahahaha I'm sorry I cant but seriously the healthcare industry is going to explode or buckle under its own weight

• Locked thread