Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

aside from mandatory draft, how are the Forces of Trump going to fight and fund forever war without throwing the whole defense budget at the F-35 or whatever?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

We'll borrow from Russia when we declare war on China, until we declare war on Russia, at which point we'll start borrowing from China.

Duscat
Jan 4, 2009
Fun Shoe
print more money i guess

pathetic little tramp posted:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/trump-comments-signal-shift-in-approach-to-u-s-dollar-1484690469?mod=e2tw

quote:

“Our dollar is too strong,” Mr. Trump told The Wall Street Journal late last week, when asked about the U.S. trade relationship with China. “And our companies can’t compete with [China] now because our currency is too strong. And it’s killing us.”

In another part of the interview, Mr. Trump said the U.S. might need to “get the dollar down” if a change in tax policy drives it higher. “Having a strong dollar has certain advantages, but it has a lot of disadvantages,” he added.
Also: Betsy Devos in response to Newtown: "We need to get rid of gun free zones"

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Become a 400 lb whale and they won't be able to draft you. Gotta stay ahead of the game!

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Not a Step posted:

Become a 400 lb whale and they won't be able to draft you. Gotta stay ahead of the game!

A lifetime of sitting makes you perfect for the drone corps.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

A lifetime of sitting makes you perfect for the drone corps.

Just tell them that you're real bad at video games. I know being 400 lb is going to make that a difficult story to sell, but just say you liked Gone Home or something.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010
we could shelve our jet airplanes and go back to bi-planes and still have the worlds most dominant armed forces we are fine op

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
the military will be further privatized

Red Dad Redemption
Sep 29, 2007

letters of marque will be issued to local yacht club members everywhere

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Annual Prophet posted:

letters of marque will be issued to local yacht club members everywhere

the jolly roger but the long bones are in a swastika

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Not a Step posted:

Just tell them that you're real bad at video games. I know being 400 lb is going to make that a difficult story to sell, but just say you liked Gone Home or something.

then you get transferred to the "robots that rifle through people's poo poo" division, and if you thought the drones were bad

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Yinlock posted:

then you get transferred to the "robots that rifle through people's poo poo" division, and if you thought the drones were bad

international treaties do not apply to robots :supaburn:

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
I was considering joining the National Guard in the near future out of the necessity of earning some money if I can't find work during the temporary seasonal layoff from my job with no idea how long for

I'd be excited/worried about being sent off to fight in the invasion of Mexico or something, but honestly it's more likely under Trump that I'll be sent to quell angry Liberals and Minorities.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete

The Saurus posted:

I was considering joining the National Guard in the near future out of the necessity of earning some money if I can't find work during the temporary seasonal layoff from my job with no idea how long for

I'd be excited/worried about being sent off to fight in the invasion of Mexico or something, but honestly it's more likely under Trump that I'll be sent to quell angry Liberals and Minorities.

In all likelihood you'd probably get sent to Iraq or Afghanistan to sit in a humvee while another guardsman drives over a landmine.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Weeping Wound posted:

international treaties do not apply to robots :supaburn:

Its not a war crime if they arent human :colbert:

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

All good, we have enough insane right wingers with M16s and Humvees to take on China, Russia, and occupy at least two uppity coastal liberal cities at once.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Concordat posted:

In all likelihood you'd probably get sent to Iraq or Afghanistan to sit in a humvee while another guardsman drives over a landmine.

...I thought Obama pulled the troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan?! :monocle:

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Whatever can't be automated will be outsourced to Pakistan, Nepal, Burundi, Ethiopia etc. augmented with US "advisers" who on patrols will be authorized to call in "self defense" strikes on especially threatening schools and weddings.

If you haven't noticed this is also how we fight our current wars

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

The Saurus posted:

...I thought Obama pulled the troops out of Iraq and Afghanistan?! :monocle:

We still have troops in Germany, Japan, and Korea.

And just under ten thousand still in Afghanistan.

Concordat has issued a correction as of 05:52 on Jan 18, 2017

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

From what Ive heard the troops in Germany enjoy it there. Those in Japan less so because the restrictions are absurd. Never had a friend who went to Korea.

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

I imagine the restrictions in Japan are due to several very well publicized rapes and murders.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Concordat posted:

I imagine the restrictions in Japan are due to several very well publicized rapes and murders.

Well yeah. The military loves collective punishment and for some reason shitheads abroad in Japan think the laws do not apply to them. Also the massive alcoholism problem.

Don't get deployed to Japan is what I'm saying, based on reports from friends who were there.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Concordat posted:

We still have troops in Germany, Japan, and Korea.

And just under ten thousand still in Afghanistan.

If you're including Germany, Japan and Korea which are "friendly allies" at this point, right - Surely there's other nations with US soldiers in them, like Australia, other NATO allies and so on?

Would the National Guard get those sorts of deployments, though? They always struck me as only getting deployments in actively hostile places when the govt was getting desperate - though I think the Air Guard gets more action because there's more varied missions you can carry out with planes than boots on the ground

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

The Saurus posted:

If you're including Germany, Japan and Korea which are "friendly allies" at this point, right - Surely there's other nations with US soldiers in them, like Australia, other NATO allies and so on?

Would the National Guard get those sorts of deployments, though? They always struck me as only getting deployments in actively hostile places when the govt was getting desperate - though I think the Air Guard gets more action because there's more varied missions you can carry out with planes than boots on the ground

National Guard reservists can get sent out to relieve regular military when the forces can't keep reasonable rotations due to prolonged deployments. A lot of National Guard who signed up for the extra pay found themselves doing tours in the Middle East when the Army got too strained during the Bush years. Same thing happens to Reservists, though with greater frequency and sometimes not even during a war. If Trump gets us in a few boots on the ground wars any military member in any capacity is likely to get rotated to the front at some point. Bottom line is if you dont want to run the risk of getting shot at someplace hot and sandy, dont sign up for the military. Its always a risk.

http://federalnewsradio.com/army/2016/02/army-wants-guard-reserve-deployments-2017/

I have no idea if thats a legitimate site or whatever but it was the first hit for 'national guard deployment schedule 2016' and claims the Army wants to nearly double the amount of National Guard units it deploys to fill in for Army units.

Whatever you do, try to be a technician if you can. Its always better to be a nerd with a multimeter than a grunt with a gun.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the military is for suckers

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
im gonna join the navy and have sex with men

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Saurus posted:

Tell Japan they can have Manchuria and Germany they can have Lebensbraum and have them fight the frontlines for you. The art of the deal.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

We're doing great leader - and we've got YOU to thank for it!! :cabot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCFLh372jOM

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Make sure you become a submariner and watch Down Periscope 50 times as preparation

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

MikeCrotch posted:

Make sure you become a submariner and watch Down Periscope 50 times as preparation

Penis tattoo is not required but is greatly encouraged.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Darkman Fanpage posted:

If only this was the sales pitch the military recruiter made to me in high school, I might have joined.

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Each successive Civ game manages to lose a bit more charm and personality :(

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the military is for suckers

I've probably gotten about a quarter of a million dollars in benefits from the military between my education benefits and covering my cancer treatment. Plus I got to go see the world. Not a bad way to invest six years really. If you don't know what else to do in life the military can be a good option, if nothing else because you gain the motivation to do anything but stay in the loving military. Would heavily recommend staying away from anything that leads to getting shot at/shooting at people. Be a technician and fix radars and poo poo.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
I have friends who are still in the mil in Afghanistan, I told those suckers not to reenlist though and specifically warned a few of them about Trump back in the primaries, they're all super happy about Mattie though.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

MikeCrotch posted:

i watched it a lot as a kid so im well prepared

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
PREPARE FOR DIVE!!!!

• Locked thread