Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

If you are interested in Detention, you can buy it now on Steam!

What is "Detention"?

It's that thing that I got sent to a lot as a kid.

It's also the name of a Taiwanese horror game by a new developer, named Red Candle Games.

The game is set in 1960s Taiwan, when the nation was put under martial law; you play as a student attempting to leave school, when it has been abandoned due to a typhoon. Detention is a 2d horror-puzzle game that heavily dips into Taoist, Buddhist, and East-Asian influences, which for a horror game is something that is new and unique (to me at least!).

The game reminds me heavily of The Cat Lady if you've ever played or watched it before. This LP will probably be fairly short; reports are that this game is approximately 4 or 5 hours, but its a neat horror game that I figured I'd play through and help get some exposure towards, as the demo I played was really fun!

Content warning: this game deals with fairly heavy subjects of gore, suicide, depression, family abuse, and is at times pretty hosed up! If you feel uncomfortable around these subjects, you may wish to avoid this LP.

#01: Wei Too Spooky
#02: Ray Too Spooky?
#03: Do You Know The Puppet Man?
#04: Puppet Killer
#05: Nightlife
#06: Was It Worth It? // Final Episode

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Mar 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
Pillbug
.hack and another vlp? Suffering must make you real strong, dude.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
This looks neat

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
its true, the more i suffer the stronger i get

detention is real cool and i figured i'd give text-reading a try but i've already received reports that its distracting or annoying vs the podcast style im used to, so let me know your thoughts! i'll probably do this game the same way throughout but it'll be something to keep in mind for future LPs

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
I'd prefer to read the text myself, but I'd be lying if I said your voice work didn't give me some laughs. Not to be a jerk, that is hard work and you're not doing a bad job. I consistently enjoy your commentary and probably would like more of it versus reading lines, though.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

I'd prefer to read the text myself, but I'd be lying if I said your voice work didn't give me some laughs. Not to be a jerk, that is hard work and you're not doing a bad job. I consistently enjoy your commentary and probably would like more of it versus reading lines, though.

thank you very much! :kimchi: i really did try to make it sound a bit spicy vs just a monotone voice over

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
When I'm not at a bar with loud music I will peep the video and almost comment

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode #02: Ray Too Spooky?

these puzzles are nuts

azren
Feb 14, 2011

These puzzles actually don't seem very crazy. I mean, yeah, cutting his throat was pretty hosed up, but playing the older Silent Hill games has numbed me somewhat to crazy puzzles.

You and the game have definitely gotten my attention.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well... okay that was disturbing but not so disturbing as to make me want to stop watching. So I guess that's what they are going for.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

verbal enema posted:

When I'm not at a bar with loud music I will peep the video and almost comment

Stop looking at the internet and have fun

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

azren posted:

These puzzles actually don't seem very crazy. I mean, yeah, cutting his throat was pretty hosed up, but playing the older Silent Hill games has numbed me somewhat to crazy puzzles.

You and the game have definitely gotten my attention.

cokerpilot posted:

Well... okay that was disturbing but not so disturbing as to make me want to stop watching. So I guess that's what they are going for.

yeah its not quite a silent hill poetry puzzle but my first thought would not be to slice a friends neck, even if he's dead; if it wasn't for that scrap of paper (that i almost missed even!) i dunno how stuck i would have been there

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug
yeah that wouldn't have crossed my mind :stonk:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
The funny(?) thing is, there isn't even any supernatural reason to use blood to reveal the carvings in this case, since you had to make an impression of them on a page anyway. A pencil rubbing would have sufficed perfectly well!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
howdy thread, i'm not dead

combination of business trip + re7 and new jiujitsu routines (and being way too tired/sore to sit and edit/record) kicked my rear end last week, but i'm back in it

Episode 3: Do You Know The Puppet Man?

Future episodes will be coming at a much quicker clip; this game is short and shouldn't take me a week between episodes, lmao.

e: oh huh, my noise gate also didn't work for the mouse clicks, sorry about that

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Jan 31, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Look on the bright side, at least it's not those creepy-rear end traditional Japanese dolls!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SSNeoman posted:

Look on the bright side, at least it's not those creepy-rear end traditional Japanese dolls!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILESKhR7XPk

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

This game is so good! The atmosphere is really good. It kinda reminds me of a mix of The Cat Lady and Siren.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode 4: Puppet Killer

I'm still extremely interested in whatever the wooden cashew rolling things were if anyone has links or any idea

POOL IS CLOSED
Jul 14, 2011

Pillbug

boy are my arms tired posted:

Episode 4: Puppet Killer

I'm still extremely interested in whatever the wooden cashew rolling things were if anyone has links or any idea

When do the cashew things come up?

Also, I liked the spooky effect you used for some of the lines.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

POOL IS CLOSED posted:

When do the cashew things come up?

Also, I liked the spooky effect you used for some of the lines.

Its when Ray is attempting to divine her fortunes at the big shrine thing. She's throwing these wooden slices and depending on which side is face up, I guess, is what her fortune is?

I'm v interested in mystical mythological stuff so I'm trying to find info on it.

Also thanks!

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
aha i found it, it's called Jiaobei: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiaobei

Poe Diviniation is a subsection of it, but its just like in the game; they throw two wooden pieces and the positioning determines answers for "should i / shouldn't i" style questions (i.e. will i find love)

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
"I didn't think a real bullet would come out."

This game is not what it presents itself as at first. It's not horror, it's tragedy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So looks like Fang reported her teacher as the person behind the illegal reading material and thus got her killed. I like that it's a gun, that was great.

also: http://www.rferl.org/a/norilsk-nickel-red-river-spillage/27983372.html

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Feb 9, 2017

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SSNeoman posted:

So looks like Fang reported her teacher as the person behind the illegal reading material and thus got her killed. I like that it's a gun, that was great.

also: http://www.rferl.org/a/norilsk-nickel-red-river-spillage/27983372.html

nice

Also yeah, I started to piece that together after I finished recording; I'm real curious what types of books would be considered "illegal reading material" to the point of being depicted as a gun for that time period

i also have this mental image of fang reading some garbage like atlas shrugged and going "hmmm...yes....yes"

Montegoraon posted:

This game is not what it presents itself as at first. It's not horror, it's tragedy.

:smith:

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013

Also yeah, I started to piece that together after I finished recording; I'm real curious what types of books would be considered "illegal reading material" to the point of being depicted as a gun for that time period

Martial law regimes aren't really known for their nuance. Any book that could even vaguely be perceived as being pro-communist or anti-government would do it.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

Montegoraon posted:

Martial law regimes aren't really known for their nuance. Any book that could even vaguely be perceived as being pro-communist or anti-government would do it.

Yeah, you're right.

I do like how we're kind of shifting from the martial law aspect of the story to explore other issues drunkenness and family abuse in homes is fairly universal, imo, but i would imagine during martial law/war time it'd be even harsher

especially considering what comes next

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I'm real curious what types of books would be considered "illegal reading material" to the point of being depicted as a gun

Our regular government is pretty stupid when it comes to books, like with the whole Looking for Alaska debacle, so martial law regimes are like that ^2. Any excuse will do. Especially since it makes it very easy to force regular political values.
Shades of Gray? Promoting unwholesome/anti-family values.
Anne Frank's diary? Themes of fascism.
History of Cambodia? Promotion of anti-communist rhetoric.

and so on

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SSNeoman posted:

Our regular government is pretty stupid when it comes to books, like with the whole Looking for Alaska debacle

hahaha holy poo poo i did not hear about this

jesus christ thats terrible

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Episode 05: Nightlife

I think that the person in the theater that Fang gets cozy with isn't actually her dad but it may be her counselor?

boy are my arms tired fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Feb 13, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Episode 05: Nightlife

I think that the person in the theater that Fang gets cozy with isn't actually her dad but it may be her counselor?

Yeah seems so. I guess he decided to break it off though.

Also in asian cultures monkeys are used to represent people who can't keep it in their pants.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler

SSNeoman posted:

Yeah seems so. I guess he decided to break it off though.

Also in asian cultures monkeys are used to represent people who can't keep it in their pants.

nice

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
As I put the pieces of the story together I come to agree with

Montegoraon posted:

More and more.

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
Alright, so, I've mentioned this elsewhere but the past few weeks have been rough on me.

I'm still sick and I recorded this while drowsy from medication so I ramble about pointless poo poo, please forgive. At the same time though, I didn't want to leave this unfinished...while wanting to work on other LPs, so I figured I'd toughen up and get it done.

Here's the final part of Detention. I give my final thoughts during the credits after rambling about dumb stuff but ultimately I liked this game a lot and am excited to see what Red Candle Studios makes in the future.

Thanks for watching.

Montegoraon
Aug 22, 2013
I prefer the interpretation that says that in the good ending Ray escapes the loop by accepting, or at least acknowledging, what she did. If only because it makes things a little less bleak.

Montegoraon fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Mar 7, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I watched the bad ending and it was basically just saying "you're not ready to move on yet" so this ending is Ray basically owning up to what she did, and the last thing she has to do is own up to Wei before moving on.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

Montegoraon posted:

I prefer the interpretation that says that in the good ending Ray escapes the loop by accepting, or at least acknowledging, what she did. If only because it makes things a little less bleak.

I'm with you. Do you remember the old woman who appeared in the afterlife, and seemed to appear here? I don't remember her name, but she is a figure in mythology like the Judge of the Dead... her purpose is to brew the tea of forgetfulness to be given to sinners who have repented, so they can forget their shackles and rejoin the wheel of reincarnation- a bit like Lethe in Greek myth, with a slightly more hopeful tone. The message the old lady gives is initially pessimistic, but- given that Ray has left her Hell and seems to have accepted her sins- that the old woman is here possibly means that Ray is ready for the draught soon... once she tries to forgive herself. So yeah- still horribly sad. but ultimately hopeful.

This is a nifty little horror game, OP- thanks for showing it off!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boy are my arms tired
May 10, 2012

Ham Wrangler
No problem! I just wish I didn't have so many problems near the end, my original run through where i pieced it together was really cool and fun

• Locked thread