Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Been wanting to do a CIS fuel injection thread for a while, and now have all the parts to do it for one of my cars, so let's talk CIS!

What is it? Before the heady days of EFI, Bosch produced a system called CIS

Continuous Injection System AKA a carburetor on steroids:

It came in several flavors, but the main differences come down to the method used to meter the fuel: Downdraft or Updraft (Updraft shown above)

Downdraft CIS fuel metering:

The downdraft models were more common on Mercedes Benz and some Porsche/Lamborghini setups

The Basics
CIS is pretty simple really: intake air pulls on a balanced metering plate, as the throttle valve opens, the metering plate rises or falls and allows a fuel regulator pin to open, allowing higher fuel flow to each injector.

There were additional components that helped with boost and warm up:

Warm Up Regulator (WUR)

The WUR is mounted to the side of the engine block where electrical signals OR the engine heat allowed it to regulate the control head pressure for the CIS distributor block in order to adjust for cold starts.
It was also used to regulate fuel enrichment for boost for turbocharging

Cold Start Injector

A precursor to EFI injectors, the cold start injector injects extra fuel during cranking to start them motor, its commonly also hacked to help with fuel enrichment for boost in the VW/Volvo crowd

Port Injector

The individual injector for the system

Frequency Valve

The frequency valve is mounted next to the distributor head for the CIS system, and is controlled by the ECU Lambda system which changes the 'duty' of the valve based on O2 sensor readings to keep its emissions in check.

CIS Distributor Head and Fuel Pressure Regulator

The heart of the system. Meters and distributes fuel.

1500quidporsche posted:

My favorite obsolete automotive technology...

Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection System AKA Continuous Injection System

Bosch had developed early fuel injection systems but they were mostly confined to luxury cars due to the costs of putting a computer in a car at the time, as a cheaper alternative they developed K-Jetronic to capitalize on stricter emission regulations in the 70s/80s. A plate attached to a lever was positioned in the path of the airflow to measure it, as the air passed through the plate would lift up the lever which would respond by letting more fuel through, the fuel was delivered continuously instead of being pulsed like other fuel injection systems eliminating the need for any computer.

In theory this was a genius system, the lever system made sure there was always a good air/fuel mixture without the need for expensive electronics. The reality was that it was at best marginally better than a carburetor. It was prone to vapor lock just like a carb. The continuous injection so close to the intake valves meant the fuel had a habit of turning back into liquid form when it was cold. The fuel system would gradually lose pressure from wear over the years and throw the air fuel mixture off. Without a computer to correct this your car would just slowly run worse and worse until you were prepared to tear the whole system apart and find the faulty components.

Bosch eventually relented adding an oxygen sensor and an analog computer to monitor combustion and adjust the fuel mixture. A further enhancement came in the form of a knock sensor, a digital computer, electronic ignition timing and a pressure actuator for the fuel distributor. By this time though the cost difference between K-Jetronic and pulsed injection systems were becoming minimal.

K-Jetronic eventually died off in the 90s with the carburetor as car manufacturers looked for the better power and fuel economy of pulsed injection. It was a unique cost effective solution for the time that got killed off by the falling costs of electronics like so many other things during that period. That's not to say it didn't make its mark in its time though. It was used by almost all the european manufactuers on some of their cars including the Porsche 911 and Ferrari Testarossa. and the Delorean, though that's not nearly as prestigious

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

EDIT: I had a thread tag chosen. But rather ironic...MOD please change to 'Classical'

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

I love K-Jetronic and I won't hear a bad word said against it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

I love K-Jetronic and I won't hear a bad word said against it.

Its not a bad system. Its really not. I rebuild CIS stuff, and plan on turbocharging the black Audi 4000 Quattro with the CIS alone, with some modifications for a WUR and boost controlled fueling.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
when it works, its great. When it doesnt work, get out the multimeter and O-scope. I cut my cis-teeth on a 308. Both Italian and German manuals. hnggggggg

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

when it works, its great. When it doesnt work, get out the multimeter. I cut my cis-teeth on a 308. Both Italian and German manuals. hnggggggg

I was feeling nostalgic because a guy called me today asking if I wanted to pick up his spare Audi 4000 motor and CIS system. How could I say no?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
Goodman. Now give it blowies. cis loooooves boosts

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Dug up my old post in the PYF obsolete tech thread:

1500quidporsche posted:

My favorite obsolete automotive technology...

Bosch K-Jetronic Fuel Injection System AKA Continuous Injection System

Bosch had developed early fuel injection systems but they were mostly confined to luxury cars due to the costs of putting a computer in a car at the time, as a cheaper alternative they developed K-Jetronic to capitalize on stricter emission regulations in the 70s/80s. A plate attached to a lever was positioned in the path of the airflow to measure it, as the air passed through the plate would lift up the lever which would respond by letting more fuel through, the fuel was delivered continuously instead of being pulsed like other fuel injection systems eliminating the need for any computer.

In theory this was a genius system, the lever system made sure there was always a good air/fuel mixture without the need for expensive electronics. The reality was that it was at best marginally better than a carburetor. It was prone to vapor lock just like a carb. The continuous injection so close to the intake valves meant the fuel had a habit of turning back into liquid form when it was cold. The fuel system would gradually lose pressure from wear over the years and throw the air fuel mixture off. Without a computer to correct this your car would just slowly run worse and worse until you were prepared to tear the whole system apart and find the faulty components.

Bosch eventually relented adding an oxygen sensor and an analog computer to monitor combustion and adjust the fuel mixture. A further enhancement came in the form of a knock sensor, a digital computer, electronic ignition timing and a pressure actuator for the fuel distributor. By this time though the cost difference between K-Jetronic and pulsed injection systems were becoming minimal.

K-Jetronic eventually died off in the 90s with the carburetor as car manufacturers looked for the better power and fuel economy of pulsed injection. It was a unique cost effective solution for the time that got killed off by the falling costs of electronics like so many other things during that period. That's not to say it didn't make its mark in its time though. It was used by almost all the european manufactuers on some of their cars including the Porsche 911 and Ferrari Testarossa. and the Delorean, though that's not nearly as prestigious

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

Goodman. Now give it blowies. cis loooooves boosts

That's the plan. Dug out a bunch of Audi 5000 Turbo CIS parts from my storage shelving, and already planning to boost a JT block.

1500quidporsche posted:

Dug up my old post in the PYF obsolete tech thread:

...and now its quoted in the OP!

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 20, 2017

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is there a list of cars that use it?
I know early Volvo 240s did.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

CharlesM posted:

A lot of them. Nearly ever European manufacturer used it at one time or another.

From my side of the house:

Audi 4000 CS Quattro
Audi 5000 Quattro
Audi Coupe GT
Audi Ur Quattro
Audi 80 Quattro
Volkswagen Rabbit
Volkswagen Jetta
Volkswagen Scirocco
Volkswagen Golf
Porsche 911

The list keeps going. BMW used it, Mercedes used it, Ferrari used it

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jetronic

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CharlesM posted:

Anything with a variant of K Jetronic. CIS is a bit of a misnomer, it was VW's terminology for Bosch's K Jetronic branch of fuel injection, I know some Volvo people refer to it as CIS as I think that's really just down to parts commonality and VWs being a bit more popular.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Anything with a variant of K Jetronic. CIS is a bit of a misnomer, it was VW's terminology for Bosch's K Jetronic branch of fuel injection, I know some Volvo people refer to it as CIS as I think that's really just down to parts commonality and VWs being a bit more popular.

I think everyone just adopted the CIS moniker because it was short and easier to say than 'Jetronic', but yeah, it was VW/Audi/Porsche that pushed the CIS name.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
My introduction to CIS is getting hosed by a CIS-E Audi 5000 which had a melted ECU wiring harness and a system-pressure screw turned to maximum to compensate for a dying fuel pump/clogged filter. It ran great for years, even in the coldest weather. My buddy got it from a junkyard for $600 because the fuel tank had been drilled through by a Future Shop stereo-install tech.

When the fuel pump finally died and was replaced, the hosed up adjustment (unknown to us) must have blown out some internal seal in the fuel dizzy because no amount of system-pressure adjustment would ever get stable pressure to the injectors.

We blew probably a year worth of weekends doing various shade-tree advice on forums (measuring injector flow using a coke bottle, making sure the fuel distributor machining wasn't galled, checking the mixture adjustment lever for stickiness, thermo-time-switch multimetering, new Viton seals for the injectors, warm-up regulator testing and cleaning, cold start injector testing, double-checking lambda-sensor functionality, adjusting with a fuel pressure gauge) and could never get it back to where it once was. Meanwhile, we were getting pretty good at parallel parking the car on the owner's busy street by pushing it with the steering lock disabled every 72 hours lest the city tow it.

After a few months, we managed to get it to cold start and idle (eye-wateringly rich) so at least it would drive, but there was no way to get it to warm start, it would just instantly die when it came off the starter. Any parts were impossible to get (the only source for new fuel distributor parts was the Ferrari dealer, and they don't even have a parts desk) at the time, and aftermarket upgrade stuff was primarily focused on turbos. We also didn't have room for a parts car which was probably the right way to go.

In the end, we threw it at a local vintage-VW mechanic who diagnosed the burned-up lambda sensor wiring immediately (even though the sensor multi'd out as well as the CIS-E diagnostic website we found said it would) and then got into some kind of conflict about back-pay for my buddy's other car. I will always be curious what he saw and didn't tell us (and also what else is on that harness that could have died too).

Since it was an FWD 3-speed auto non-turbo Audi 5000, we just let it go to a dealership who was offering a ridiculous trade-in offer and had very trusting salesmen for nearly quadruple its original purchase price. It is one of my biggest automotive regrets that I did not try harder to save it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Jan 20, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
CIS parts for an Audi 4000 CS Quattro, minus the injector lines:

CIS Parts for an Audi 5000 Quattro Turbo, with injector lines:

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Jetronic can suck a dick. Sourcing replacement parts for a shop restoring a 412 is slowly driving me up a wall because I'm our resident "aircooled stuff is neat/euro cars are neat" person. :argh:

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I remember the CIS setup on my parents 280SE. It worked well, the only things we needed to do was put in new injectors (which is about as easy as replacing spark plugs) and get a new cold start injector.

Vanagoon
Jan 20, 2008

Best Dead Gay Forums
on the whole Internet!
One thing that cannot be argued is that the Vanagon-only "Digijet" system is dogshit that never, ever works right. Ever.

Speaking from personal experience here.

It's one of those early, lovely injection systems that is so bad that when it gets ripped off and replaced with carbs (Often) the carbs deliver better performance and mpg.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
This seems like carbs but worse, why??

edit: This thread is neat and I learned quite a bit! thanks for posting it

KYOON GRIFFEY JR fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 20, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It wasn't worse, it was incredibly reliable for the most part, but the advantages it offered was mostly emissions related due to the ability to take in Lambda feedback from an O2 sensor and adjust accordingly, as well as adjust for boost, it was much more friendly to turbocharging applications than carbs, and was probably a cheaper system than early EFI that was just coming out at the time.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Yeah the K-Jet on the DeLorean was my only exposure to the system. When I bought my car, it had been sitting in a garage for 15 years. The fuel distributor was full of goop. I ended up getting lucky and finding a dizzy and set of injectors from an 82 Volvo 760 in a pick n pull which were identical. I managed to get the car running extremely well without even using a fuel pressure gauge. I never had hunting idle problem and never had a problem with it passing California emissions. The secret seemed to be making sure there were zero air leaks and putting in a brand new o2 sensor and fuel accumulator. It did have one annoying sporadic problem. If I drove around and let the car sit for about a half hour it wouldn't want to start. Parking and then starting it up within 5 or 10 minutes it was fine. Letting it sit for an hour or more it would start just fine but let it sit for a half hour after being fully warm and it would just crank and crank and crank. I ended up figuring out a trick which was to pull the cables off of the WUR and the cold start injector and plug the WUR cable into the injector. This would get the car to catch and barely idle. Quickly swapping the cables back allowed the car to settle back to normal idle and normal drivability. Very strange.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

That's a fairly common problem, my Scirocco had that before switching over to CIS-E, atleast yours would hold an idle in that condition. The cold start injector in most these systems is just wired to the starter so you probably didn't have to mess around with the WUR connection and could've just kept cranking it. I'm pretty sure its mainly down to vapor lock but I know a lot of guys blame the issue on the WUR being out of whack. Some guys have had luck taking the WUR apart and reshaping the diaphram but I never really did that since it seemed like there was a potential for it running way worse.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

It really wasn't but there's probably some merit to the argument that to the end user the advantages of K Jetronic over a carb aren't immediately apparent and the complexity of the system made it appear like a step backwards. K-Jetronic is far better at metering air and can inject fuel in high pressure conditions and closer to the valves, which is all stuff carbs really suck at. Once they added lambda feedback so the system could self correct they really had a decent system and CIS-E fixed almost all the leftover issues and turned it into a nice little package. It probably would've stayed around a lot longer if the price for microchips didn't drop so rapidly, that's what really killed it off.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think the porsche 912E had it too the one I looked at had replaced it with a carb and I stupidly did not pay $7,000 for the car cause it was brown. Poor jetronic was in a box on the floor.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Aha! My 190e has k-jet too. It seems like a clever system.

Mine's got a very low idle at all times (~600 even on cold start).

It *always* requires two goes at starting cold unless you're VERY lucky with the gas pedal.

From the look of the plugs i'd say it is running a little bit rich.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

Good to finally see this thread, my Merc 200E has KE-Jetronic aka CIS-E and I'm suspecting there's some gremlins in there. Last inspection failed because of emissions and I'm trying to find out whether the O2 sensor is hosed or if there's some other cheaper way of fixing it.

Emission test (if my memory serves me right, the papers are all in the car, 20 km away) showed too high CO, HC and CO2 levels. Lambda value was off, but might be due to exhaust leaks. The car has a strange misfire at 2500+ RPM, especially when cold where it has a pretty major hesitation and acceleration problem.

Anyone here who knows some good tests I can run to find fucky components?

edit: Could it be the ignition system that's jacked? I know I should take some stuff apart next time I'm in the shop but just tell me what things to check so I have some bearing.

Cached Money fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jan 21, 2017

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I love mechanical fuel injection in general - the Bendix Stromberg injection carburetor, the Bosch MFI and Kugelfischer (ok, they bought Kugelfischer, whatever) systems, the Lucas petrol injection setups... mmm. And yes, even CIS.

There might be something wrong with me.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Cached Money posted:

Good to finally see this thread, my Merc 200E has KE-Jetronic aka CIS-E and I'm suspecting there's some gremlins in there. Last inspection failed because of emissions and I'm trying to find out whether the O2 sensor is hosed or if there's some other cheaper way of fixing it.

Emission test (if my memory serves me right, the papers are all in the car, 20 km away) showed too high CO, HC and CO2 levels. Lambda value was off, but might be due to exhaust leaks. The car has a strange misfire at 2500+ RPM, especially when cold where it has a pretty major hesitation and acceleration problem.

edit: Could it be the ignition system that's jacked? I know I should take some stuff apart next time I'm in the shop but just tell me what things to check so I have some bearing.

KE Jetronic has diagnostic codes:

http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/400937-ke-jetronic-diagnosis.html

I'd replace the O2 sensor just to be safe.

Panaflex
Sep 28, 2001

Cached Money posted:

High HC is generally ignition issues so I'd start there with a new set of plugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor. HC can also be affected by contaminated oil so changing that before an emissions test will help. This can directly relate to high CO which is caused by incomplete combustion or an overly rich mixture. Test or change your O2 sensor for this condition. High NOx is generally based on too high combustion temperatures which could be caused by a lean mixture but more often than not by a bad catalytic converter assuming your base mixture and ignition are in spec. Same goes for high CO2.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I could of sworn my old 280ZX had K-Jetronic, but a quick search shows it was L.

Was there much of a difference?

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

L was Bosch's pulsed injection system and isn't all too different from modern fuel injection systems. It was a lot more sophisticated from the start and I think you'd have a hard time arguing that K was a better system on anything other than cost.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

mekilljoydammit posted:

I love mechanical fuel injection in general - the Bendix Stromberg injection carburetor, the Bosch MFI and Kugelfischer (ok, they bought Kugelfischer, whatever) systems, the Lucas petrol injection setups... mmm. And yes, even CIS.

There might be something wrong with me.

Bow down before the ridiculousness that is SPICA

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Bow down before the ridiculousness that is SPICA

AFAICT SPICA is basically an Italian implementation of the same principle the Kugelfischer pump uses. Which is amazing. Hell, boost compensated Kugelfischer pumps were used into the early 80s in F1. I like the Lucas injection in that it used the tank fuel pump to provide injection pressure, in an indirect way.

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

CommieGIR posted:

KE Jetronic has diagnostic codes:

http://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w124/400937-ke-jetronic-diagnosis.html

I'd replace the O2 sensor just to be safe.

Thanks for this great writeup on the duty cycle diagnosis, I've been looking for something like this.

Panaflex posted:

High HC is generally ignition issues so I'd start there with a new set of plugs, wires and distributor cap and rotor. HC can also be affected by contaminated oil so changing that before an emissions test will help. This can directly relate to high CO which is caused by incomplete combustion or an overly rich mixture. Test or change your O2 sensor for this condition. High NOx is generally based on too high combustion temperatures which could be caused by a lean mixture but more often than not by a bad catalytic converter assuming your base mixture and ignition are in spec. Same goes for high CO2.

Plugs are pretty fresh, changed them due to this issue and did not help. Rotor and cap is probably the next step, previous owner changed the ignition cables to silicone ones.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Kugelfischer looks pretty cool, its basically the same VE pump design as the Bosch Diesel Injection Pumps

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

CommieGIR posted:

Kugelfischer looks pretty cool, its basically the same VE pump design as the Bosch Diesel Injection Pumps

Similar - the trick is the compensation cam is basically a 3d rpm vs throttle position fuel map determining fuel delivery, whereas the diesel ones are just linear throttle doing it.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

I remember my dad disliking the Lucas fuel injection used on some 1970s British cars, like the Triumph 2500PI. The "spit and dribble system" is what he called it. I think his man issue with it was that it could flood the cylinder with fuel, as metering of it was pretty rudimentary

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
A 1982 UK-market Porsche 924 would be K-Jetronic, yes?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

A 1982 UK-market Porsche 924 would be K-Jetronic, yes?

According to "How to Understand, Service and Modify Bosch Fuel Injection & Management"*, a USDM '82 924 is K-jet with Lambda.

*(hereafter referred to as "The Useful Blue Book with the Absurdly Long Name")

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Feb 1, 2017

EvellSnoats
Oct 22, 2010
Anyone got a lead on someone who can rebuild my '82 BMW 320i fuel distributor? I have replaced almost whole fuel system, relined the tank, new warm up regulator, cold start valve, both pumps and new accumulator, injectors etc.

Car runs much better than when I started but still takes two cranks to start each morning and catch and a minute or two to warm up before it wants to go anywhere. I am up for rebuilding myself if there is a kit for it as well.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

EvellSnoats posted:

Anyone got a lead on someone who can rebuild my '82 BMW 320i fuel distributor? I have replaced almost whole fuel system, relined the tank, new warm up regulator, cold start valve, both pumps and new accumulator, injectors etc.

Car runs much better than when I started but still takes two cranks to start each morning and catch and a minute or two to warm up before it wants to go anywhere. I am up for rebuilding myself if there is a kit for it as well.

Sounds like a bad cold start injector.

In other news: Someone sent me the CIS setup from a Ur Quattro, wiring harness and all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

EvellSnoats posted:

a minute or two to warm up before it wants to go anywhere. I am up for rebuilding myself if there is a kit for it as well.

Really dumb question, but have you checked your dizzy cap and rotor for any sooty arcing? My merc was being a poo poo to me for the first few minutes until I cleaned (and ultimately replaced) these.

• Locked thread