Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
what do you think? does it make a diff to protest peacefully in tyool 2017 in america?

i think it does but only with planning and in combination with political activism (local gov on up) and repeated protesting. john lewis knows how to get attention for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
honeypot

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
MLK Jr. would have accomplished far less if not for Malcolm X. Peaceful protest only works if violence is the implicit alternative.

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

MLK Jr. would have accomplished far less if not for Malcolm X. Peaceful protest only works if violence is the implicit alternative.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It may have worked before but the powers that be learned how to insulate themselves from it/destroy it so lock and load

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it depends on whether they're actual protests or just dumb performance art. the former works, the latter usually doesn't

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

get that OUT of my face posted:

it depends on whether they're actual protests or just dumb performance art. the former works, the latter usually doesn't

if you're not risking arrest you're probably not protesting productively tbh

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

I used to do protests with my union who was allied with some local activists and all ouf protests were stupid, got no press coverage, and changed no ones mind but at least we were obnoxious and in peoples way so we got to jerk each other off

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
gas

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
hey yeah ok alright

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

please dont call for violence in this thread fellow comrades because trump is about to gain control of the most powerful surveillance state in the history of humanity and you dont want to hurt his feelings

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
this kid tells all of you to stfu https://twitter.com/PhillyCustoms/status/822272795665199104

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

Protests give reporters an excuse to talk about an issue for a news cycle. That's free press.

Trump just showed us how much free press coverage matters.

And very few people bother to vote. A march could work great, if you paired it with a threat to primary politicians who don't vote the way you like.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

felt m8

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde

a helpful bear
Aug 18, 2004

Slippery Tilde
jk. that kid rocks

carter sez screw our president!

i fully agree that there needs to be a threat of some recourse to our leaders (no re-election) or protests dont reach their full potential

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
It turns out that both work but only sometimes. Well, hope that helps, op.

Ace of Baes
Jul 7, 1977
Peaceful protests can be good for good organizations to recruit volunteers or donators to grow their orgs.

Tweet Me Balls
Apr 14, 2009

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

The good cop bad cop approach to change in America.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!

Al!
Apr 2, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 40 minutes!
a rare appearance from green stripe bloc. those motherfuckers scare me tbh, theyre capable of anything

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

This but it has to be threats of real violence and not threats to throw empty Aquafina bottles at Deploraball attendees

Bushiz
Sep 21, 2004

The #1 Threat to Ba Sing Se

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD3lgI9QIV8

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

peaceful protest is really easy to ignore, is the thing

a rep from some terrible plains state introduced a bill to make it legal to run over protestors if they clog up the highway, too

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

They work but are poorly timed imo, they have to inconvenience people.

Take the women's march thats about to occur. Good, yes, effective no. Yes they have permitting etc.

But if they wanted to make a statement they should have all showed up today and disrupted the inauguration.

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
americans worship individualism and gun culture so no wonder they suck pretty hard at protesting and the only idea they have to make it more effective is to make it more violent.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

I gotta say every weird young feminist protest that involves women taking their clothes off doesn't accomplish anything except making them all look dumb. please stop doing this

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib

Fullhouse posted:

I gotta say every weird young feminist protest that involves women taking their clothes off doesn't accomplish anything except making them all look dumb. please stop doing this

it accomplishes at least one thing :dong:

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

fspades posted:

americans worship individualism and gun culture so no wonder they suck pretty hard at protesting and the only idea they have to make it more effective is to make it more violent.

Here, I'll explain with pictures:

America:

Not America:

America:

Not America:

America:

Not America:

America:

Not America:

Which ones look like a gaggle of atomized individuals venting off their impotent frustration? Which ones look like displays of an organized and professional force?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

fspades posted:

I disagree imo and feel like the reason protests in general seem to work less well in America is that the righteousness of your political structures is enshrined in the founding myth of your country, well, hope that helps.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
peaceful protests do not currently have any effect, and also they are subject to paying off people to start poo poo in order to justify violent, possibly fatal suppression of protest

it's a great thing to go to if you could do without an arm, or your eyesight

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Gyra_Solune posted:

peaceful protests do not currently have any effect, and also they are subject to paying off people to start poo poo in order to justify violent, possibly fatal suppression of protest

it's a great thing to go to if you could do without an arm, or your eyesight
Hey remember when those ex marines shot a bunch of police and suddenly policing got better instead of just more paranoid

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich
BLM got their poo poo together though, relatively. probably owes it to the experience of civil rights movement.

Count Freebasie
Jan 12, 2006

This is how you do it:

falcon2424
May 2, 2005

fspades posted:

America:

Not America:

Which ones look like a gaggle of atomized individuals venting off their impotent frustration? Which ones look like displays of an organized and professional force?

I like this. Any group that could organize people on this this scale would be absurdly effective.

A few thousand coordinated voters would blow establishment politicians out of the water.

But, instead, every protest needs to be about every issue. And they break down into disorganized, infighting chaos.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

David Cross had a bit around 2003/4 about not bringing your dumb loving legalize weed signs to Iraq War protests. American protests can get really dumb really quickly.

Protests are good for bringing attention to issues. It takes co-ordinated action, like during the civil rights movement, to get poo poo done.

Also, peaceful protest do work. They're the only kind of protest that has ever worked without completely destabilizing a country. Otherwise, you're just creating escalation of force or starting a civil war.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

fspades posted:

All the examples you posted are of movements that failed lmao
Strong argument here

1) Greek left movement: failed

2) South Korean vigils to remove Park: terrible example, still failed

3) Chilean student protests: failed

4) Turkish protests against chauvinistic authoritarianism: failed

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

tadashi posted:

Also, peaceful protest do work. They're the only kind of protest that has ever worked without completely destabilizing a country.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Peaceful protests alone are useless liberal masturbation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wheeee posted:

Peaceful protests alone are useless liberal masturbation.
You say that but the people in this country brought down the government through strikes before, and the government knows it could happen again (which is why they try so hard to kerb them!)

• Locked thread