Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Chili is at its best when it has beans, especially black beans. The meaty texture contrasts well with the beef and adds more protein for a healthier meal. Ground beef is an acceptable meat if chuck steak is too expensive or demanding to work with, or if it's meant to go on a hamburger or a hot dog. Crockpots are a good, efficient tool for cooking chili. I won't fault people for using chili powder or chili seasoning in their chili if they just want a quick, easy meal. Chili is one of the best soups you can cook.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
Couldn't agree more, though I also like to throw in a handful of frozen corn to give it some nice not-brown color.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Speleothing posted:

Couldn't agree more, though I also like to throw in a handful of frozen corn to give it some nice not-brown color.

Forgot about corn, I don't use it much anymore. I wonder if theres a difference between frozen and canned corn in this instance

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

What about carrots, op

Hotel Kpro
Feb 24, 2011

owls don't go to school
Dinosaur Gum
I like my chili real thick, does it still qualify as a soup?

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

the yeti posted:

What about carrots, op

Need to be very finely processed, not chunks, more like a mash.

Hotel Kpro posted:

I like my chili real thick, does it still qualify as a soup?

Chili can exist on the soup spectrum or the sauce spectrum. I typically prefer a thin-sauce consistency.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I like to use both black beans and butter beans, and sometimes borlotti and/or kidney beans as well. Sometimes I'll even throw in some green beans just for the hell of it. You can't have too many beans.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
If I put beans in chili, they gotta be pinto beans.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
I put beans in my kidney chili to bulk it out cheaply

Also, Chili is a stew, not a soup

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Tiggum posted:

You can't have too many beans.

Hell, I agree

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Great northerns are the tits in chili.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

I do three-bean: black, pinto, and kidney.

Also frozen corn is easier, because you need to drain & rinse the canned.

Speleothing fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Jan 22, 2017

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Speleothing posted:

I do three-bean: black, pinto, and northern.

Also frozen corn is easier, because you need to drain & rinse the canned.

Ah, I just threw the corn in with the beans and drained and rinsed them both so I never noticed a difference. I just have an aversion to buying frozen produce for some reason

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I put garbanzo beans and cilantro in my chili, and omit the pork and meat products since I'm vegan - I also add kidney beans and pinto beans to get a nice mix of beans. top it off with plenty of fresh water and I have a great all-bean chili!! you guys have to try this chili recipe, it's the bees knees.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

mindphlux posted:

I put garbanzo beans and cilantro in my chili, and omit the pork and meat products since I'm vegan - I also add kidney beans and pinto beans to get a nice mix of beans. top it off with plenty of fresh water and I have a great all-bean chili!! you guys have to try this chili recipe, it's the bees knees.

Same but I also omit the chili powder because it's too hot

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I'm the new mod, I agree w/ you though so no worries.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Mu Zeta posted:

Same but I also omit the chili powder because it's too hot

yes me also, particularly when the Mother In Law (MOL) comes over!!! chili powder is far too spicy for her tastes, so I happily omit it from my bean-chili recipe and let the taste of dried rehydrated beans and pure fresh water shine through.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I also don't put any chilli in my con carne. Also I call it "con carne", not "chilli", because that's what I've always heard it called in real life (whether it was made with or without chilli). I do put capsicum in it though.

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I prefer to make my chili as just meat with spices, and then use it as an ingredient, rather than a meal in it's own right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

mindphlux posted:

mindphlux posted:

yes me also, particularly when the Mother In Law (MOL) comes over!!! chili powder is far too spicy for her tastes, so I happily omit it from my bean-chili recipe and let the taste of dried rehydrated beans and pure fresh water shine through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lffg88WDRg

• Locked thread