Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

On January 21, 2017 we will unite in Washington, DC for the Women’s March on Washington. We stand together in solidarity with our partners and children for the protection of our rights, our safety, our health, and our families -- recognizing that our vibrant and diverse communities are the strength of our country.

The rhetoric of the past election cycle has insulted, demonized, and threatened many of us--women, immigrants of all statuses, those with diverse religious faiths particularly Muslim, people who identify as LGBTQIA, Native and Indigenous people, Black and Brown people, people with disabilities, the economically impoverished and survivors of sexual assault. We are confronted with the question of how to move forward in the face of national and international concern and fear.

In the spirit of democracy and honoring the champions of human rights, dignity, and justice who have come before us, we join in diversity to show our presence in numbers too great to ignore. The Women’s March on Washington will send a bold message to our new administration on their first day in office, and to the world that women's rights are human rights. We stand together, recognizing that defending the most marginalized among us is defending all of us.

We support the advocacy and resistance movements that reflect our multiple and intersecting identities. We call on all defenders of human rights to join us. This march is the first step towards unifying our communities, grounded in new relationships, to create change from the grassroots level up. We will not rest until women have parity and equity at all levels of leadership in society. We work peacefully while recognizing there is no true peace without justice and equity for all. HEAR OUR VOICE.

quote:

The event kicks off at 10am ET with a rally on the corner of 3rd St and Independence Ave.
Speakers will include Cecile Richards from reproductive health organisation Planned Parenthood, activists Angela Davis and Gloria Steinem, actresses Ashley Judd and Scarlett Johansson, filmmaker Michael Moore and the “Mothers of the Movement”, a group of mothers whose children died because of violence by the police or gun violence.
Janelle Monáe, The Indigo Girls and Angelique Kidjo are among the musical acts scheduled to perform.
At 1.15pm the march will begin down Independence Ave to 14th St SW, then it will head to the Ellipse and the Washington Monument, where the event will finish at 4pm.
Other celebrity guests include singers Cher, Katy Perry and Zendaya, model Chrissy Teigen, comedians Amy Schumer and Cristela Alonzo, TV host Padma Lakshmi, artist Kara Walker, and actresses Hari Nef, Amandla Stenberg, Frances McDormand, Uzo Aduba, America Ferrera and Julianne Moore.

Women from all over the country are pouring into DC, with trains, planes and buses full of marchers arriving on Friday and early Saturday morning.

https://twitter.com/annfriedman/status/822528413890007040

You can watch it on https://www.c-span.org/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

alt-right: *look at pearls behind glass case labelled "IN CASE OF ANY RESISTANCE WHATSOEVER BREAK GLASS" i knew this day would come

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
so i wonder if the anarchist protesters will show up and mix in with the normal looking women. these woman are fighting the good fight but their not warriors.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Yinlock posted:

alt-right: *look at pearls behind glass case labelled "IN CASE OF ANY RESISTANCE WHATSOEVER BREAK GLASS" i knew this day would come

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
my boss sent an email inviting all the employees to join her at this

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

I lolled how the Hill Folk women started PJF style fights with other women.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
Ooooohhh celebritiesss

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
will be interesting to see how trump's new dc national guard commander handles this

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

zeal posted:

will be interesting to see how trump's new dc national guard commander handles this

i wonder what they will seize, or you might say grab, these women by, if only their commander in chief had laid out some orders

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They are going to beat the crap of those poor women because the WOKE celebrities are too stupid to lose a election with dignity.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
https://twitter.com/HeidiPrzybyla/status/822810779992915970

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJoRoth/status/822809748387065857

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
DC Metro stations are weird, actually the DC Metro is weird in general but i like the sound that there trains make when arriving and leaving

third from the right looks nasty af

Mariana Horchata has issued a correction as of 16:10 on Jan 21, 2017

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The stations in the Metro are super cool looking imo

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
Ahahah. Politico is saying the crowd is 5 times larger than his inuagration. Eat poo poo piss baby Trump

Korelle
Sep 18, 2010
It's nice to see this large crowd of middle class white women taking time out of their busy lives to snap a bunch of cool selfies for their Facebook and instagram pages.

Smash the state.

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Korelle posted:

It's nice to see this large crowd of middle class white women taking time out of their busy lives to snap a bunch of cool selfies for their Facebook and instagram pages.

Smash the state.

this but unironically

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I have a horrible feeling that 'women's rights' are not terribly threatened by Trump compared to far more important universal issues such as health care, environment, deregulation, government slash and burn, handing the keys to corporations, etc. Am I cis scum?

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

the DC metro is the thing i miss most about living in maryland. the stations all look cool af, the trains are roomy (when not filled with protesters,) and there was always someone willing to sell you weed there

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Asproigerosis posted:

I have a horrible feeling that 'women's rights' are not terribly threatened by Trump compared to far more important universal issues such as health care, environment, deregulation, government slash and burn, handing the keys to corporations, etc. Am I cis scum?

Any resistance is good resistance. Here's hoping it spurs more.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Asproigerosis posted:

yea the republican controlled government almost certainly won't try to restrict women's rights

on the other hand, though, their literal platform

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Planned Parenthood and abortion access looks hosed.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Asproigerosis posted:

no close ur cis cum

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

yeah the design is cool but it gets old quickly - Moscow totally owns DC in the Metro game

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i was supposed to go to the womens march here today but i only ever get poo poo from the women in my life so i dont care about their rights!

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

jarofpiss posted:

i was supposed to go to the womens march here today but i only ever get poo poo from the women in my life so i dont care about their rights!

what has a woman done for me????

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Ahahah. Politico is saying the crowd is 5 times larger than his inuagration. Eat poo poo piss baby Trump

Remember when the Iraq war ended before it started because of massive protests?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Horseshoe theory posted:

Remember when the Iraq war protests in the US were actually incredibly compared to the rest of the world?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Mariana Horchata posted:

DC Metro stations are weird, actually the DC Metro is weird in general but i like the sound that there trains make when arriving and leaving

third from the right looks nasty af

The DC Metro system is a waste, the DC metro system is big fat mess.

Also will lol if more people show up for the Women's March than Trump very sad poorly attended ceremony.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/purplepomp/status/822833731459313665

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Hey im going to check out the march

Sees Michael Moore

gently caress off

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
thank christ they put ashley judd up there to cut moore off

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Raskolnikov38 posted:

thank christ they put ashley judd up there to cut moore off

I don't think what she's doing is preferable. This is very cringey.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

DoctorGonzo posted:

Hey im going to check out the march

Sees Michael Moore

gently caress off

He's saying good stuff and stressing the importance of harassing members of congress and senators as the real way to get your voice heard. I don't know why you have something up youre rear end about him.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I don't think what she's doing is preferable. This is very cringey.

at least i dont have to see moore's second chin neck bandanna

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Horseshoe theory posted:

Except we're not dealing with lizard blooded neocons, but thin skinned Trump.

He only cares about optics and it'll eat into him that more people showed up to hate him than fete him. Wait til 3am (unless they took his twitter away)

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Thundercracker posted:

Except we're not dealing with lizard blooded neocons, but thin skinned Trump.

He only cares about optics and it'll eat into him that more people showed up to hate him than fete him. Wait til 3am (unless they took his twitter away)

And then he'll sign laws restricting/banning abortion, etc. and have it backed up by the Supreme Court, so he'll win in the end anyway. What's your point?

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Horseshoe theory posted:

And then he'll sign laws restricting/banning abortion, etc. and have it backed up by the Supreme Court, so he'll win in the end anyway. What's your point?

You're right. No one with political disadvantage should ever protest anything.

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

TheBalor posted:

You're right. No one with political disadvantage should ever protest anything.

Until you actually take control of the branches of government to implement your policy, pretty much, since you're pissing into the wind otherwise.

Edit: For example, the Voting Rights Act was recently destroyed by the Roberts court in Shelby County v. Holder, neutering decades of protests and civil rights work pushed by MLK Jr, etc. Political salves are only effective so long as you are in power to actually enforce it/prevent it from ever being destroyed.

Horseshoe theory has issued a correction as of 19:03 on Jan 21, 2017

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBalor
Jun 18, 2001

Horseshoe theory posted:

Until you actually take control of the branches of government to implement your policy, pretty much, since you're pissing into the wind otherwise.

Edit: For example, the Voting Rights Act was recently destroyed by the Roberts court in Shelby County v. Holder, neutering decades of protests and civil rights work pushed by MLK Jr, etc. Political salves are only effective so long as you are in power to actually enforce it/prevent it from ever being destroyed.

Right, so political outsiders should just wait patiently and quietly for their issues to enter power via some kind of political alchemy, and then and only then unveil their grievances. No protests have ever contributed anything to any political movement, especially ones that are otherwise powerless.

I mean, consider the fact that you're citing a protest movement that was wildly successful against enormous entrenched opposition suffering a setback decades later. That's not proof that protests don't work; it's just proof that there is a push and pull in politics.

TheBalor has issued a correction as of 19:31 on Jan 21, 2017

• Locked thread