Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

preface all my posts with this
Current Phase: Fall 1902

Diplomacy is a strategic board game for 7 players. Designed for optimal anger and saltiness, it is distinct from other Avalon Hill-type wargames because it is a game devoid of chance. Taking place on a European map of pre-WWI nations and provinces, each player's actions resolve simultaneously each turn, creating a huge opportunity for alliances, strategic negotiation, and tactical backstabbing.

We are playing with the Milan variant. If you've never played Diplomacy before that doesn't really mean much, just that there are a few minor map changes that give Italy much-needed starting strength. (If you want to see how much nerds are into Diplomacy like they are into chess, here you go.)

How does the game work? Each player will play a major European pre-WWI power. Before every turn, there will be a communication phase for negotiation. Before the deadline, each player will submit a set of actions for their units secretly, which are then resolved at the same time. That means there's no element of chance. No dice, or any advantage of going first. If two (or more) players are trying to enter the same space, they'll just bounce each other unless they have help, either from their own units or another player's. To win you have to talk, ally, backstab and command your way to European supremacy.

Here's some stuff I shamelessly stole:

Pinterest Mom posted:

Each game year is divided into four seasons: Spring, summer, fall, winter. Spring and fall are main phases, where you'll order your units to move. Summer and winter are adjustment phases, where we clean up after the main phases. At the end of each year, we also have to adjust the number of units - each supply centre (the provinces with black dots) can support one unit, so players will build/disband units accordingly.

The win the game, a player must individually control a majority of supply centres. The game can also end in a draw if the remaining players unanimously agree to it. Players with no supply centres in winter get eliminated.

If you don't know how to play, this is a good place to start. You'll want to learn the different types of orders (Move, support, convoy, hold), how supporting works, and the general format to submit orders and how they'll be resolved

Here's the official rulebook, which goes into much more detail and where you can learn about the Kiel canal.

You probably don't need to learn about the Kiel canal, but it won't hurt!

You can change your orders anytime before the deadline. Just resubmit them to me. If I am not sure on something in your orders, I will ask about it, obvi. You can submit your orders to me on PM on Discord or SA, it doesn't matter to me.

On order submission, write them however you want. I am not a stickler for orders syntax. As long as I don't genuinely misinterpret your order, nothing bad should happen. I will never forfeit an order unless you literally vomit in my chow.

The winner of this game will win a 40$ Amazon gift card and one M Y S T E R Y P R I Z E! There will be no award for the runner-up. As PMom states above, the game can end in a draw if all players agree. You can still do that, but nobody will win the 40$.

No toxxing, no betting, no editing posts, no copy/pasting chatlogs and no being a jerk or importing drama! Full out of thread communication is allowed. Probably use discord, nerds.

If you are a spectator, no posting about game or player strategy. Normal :munch: posts, cheerleading posts or roleplaying as a refugee of world war posts are fine.

Player List

Somberbrero
Kashuno
PMush Perfect
Asiina
Mr. F! (mags) Pinterest Mom
bowmore
Chic Trombone

Maps of the Game will go here

Other Stuff

A sicknasty player's guide, produced by Avalon Hill, the publisher of the game. Very helpful as a sort of introductory strategy column.

Abstact Diplomacy map, to easily visualize moves. Edited to reflect the Milan variant.

(og map abstract)
The Diplomacy Archive strategy library where you can read up on your grognard fantasies.

There are a few youtube tutorials for Diplomacy if you want to watch it instead of reading it. I tried to find a good one for this spot but they’re all kind of meh, so just google “How to play diplomacy” if you want to do it that way.

Confessionals Link

George Kansas fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jan 31, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

To all 7 players: Please post your country preferences in order from most to least played. For instance, EFTAGIR would mean you want to play England the most and Russia the least.

Somber and Kashuno, you don't have to include the countries you played in Diplomacy 1.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
just want to start out by saying hey gently caress YOU and YOU and YOU.

fergati

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

Hi

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Somberbrero posted:

just want to start out by saying hey gently caress YOU and YOU and YOU.

fergati

What a power gamer

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

jon joe posted:

What a power gamer

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
if you don't open your borders for me, I swear to heck!!!

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
i am sick of the drat balkans

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
As someone who's not playing, here's my country list:

FFFFFRT

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

jon joe posted:

As someone who's not playing, here's my country list:

FFFFFRT

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is my first game ever, so in lieu of an actual tactical decision, I will...

GET A FRI

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

Out of thread communication is encouraged, right?

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea how to play this at all.

Just give me a country idc

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Yo, where's the mighty Swiss empire? Bird did pretty well with them last game.

PMush Perfect posted:

Dammit, now I'm hungry.

Out of thread communication is encouraged, right?

All of us (except Keane) talked exclusively on Discord. We used the thread for poo poo talking and discussions about ties / conceding.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
howdy

1. Germany
2. Russia
3. France

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

bowmore posted:

howdy

1. Germany
2. Russia
3. France

please post the other 4 jic

someone got their #4 last game, i forget who.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
or more like this

GRFEAIT

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Asiina posted:

Just give me a country idc eatrifg

there you go

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
don't eat the rifg asiina

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

The abstract map is really helpful, but it bugs me that italics are the only marker for countries with supply centers.

So I fixed it.

Edit: Forgot Serbia and Greece, proving both that I am an idiot, and why this edit was needed.

Edit2: Now with waterways, because this is what I do for fun, apparently.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 22, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
Request not England

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
so what's happening

Max
Nov 30, 2002

Asiina posted:

Just give me a country idc

ATIEGRF for Asiina.

sentimental snail
Nov 22, 2007

DID YOU SEE MY
PEYOTE QUEEN?
I prefer my steaks medium rare. please let me into your country

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

I dont understand the maps like at all, I thought we were playing big countries, are they broken up into provinces or something?

Max
Nov 30, 2002

The initial three regions are yours and are part of your empire. Now make claim 15 other supply countries and you win! Pre WW1 so things looked different.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Mr. F! posted:

I dont understand the maps like at all, I thought we were playing big countries, are they broken up into provinces or something?

you've played risk

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

Mr. F! posted:

it's okay three supply centers is plenty i'll manage the rest for you it's no big deal i'm just Very Nice.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Max posted:

ATIEGRF for Asiina.
Why would you give a new player Austri-

Oh, it's Asiina. If there's any new player who can manage juggling equally-important conversations with six people at once, it's her.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Pinterest Mom posted:

you've played risk

I have never played Risk.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

A part of me wants to be like "Don't worry, Asiina, we newbies can help each other out" but

A) That's patronizing

B) It'd leave me really open to being stabbed.

C) I'd feel really bad if I had to stab later.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

I'll stab all of u, fite me

Max
Nov 30, 2002

PMush Perfect posted:

Why would you give a new player Austri-

Oh, it's Asiina. If there's any new player who can manage juggling equally-important conversations with six people at once, it's her.

Mainly because it doesn't allow for complacency.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?
who tf gonna play england

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's my #2 purely so I could spell a word, so I guess me, probably?

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Country assignments and Game Start will be this afternoon, probably around 4 to 5 central time.

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Nevermind!

Chic Trombone
Jul 25, 2010

Hello I am spectating. I wish all of you good luck.

Somberbrero
Feb 14, 2009

ꜱʜʀɪᴍᴘ?

i can't figure out what 'nevermind' means in this context, are we not starting today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George Kansas
Sep 1, 2008

Somberbrero posted:

i can't figure out what 'nevermind' means in this context, are we not starting today?

oh apparently i pulled off a ninja edit

i had posted something in that post but deleted it

• Locked thread