Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

What is Yakuza?
Yakuza is Sega's running series of open world 3rd person action-adventure beat-em-ups. A fusion of Shenmue's open world FREE concept with the pseudo-JRPG elements of River City Ransom and the high-speed beat-em-up action of Streets of Rage. Fight with your fists and feet! Pick up a bike or a beer bottle and smash them over someone's head! Throw people into walls or do super powerful HEAT moves to dispatch them with ease! Hit the town and fight thugs or check out the arcade and bars at your leisure. Go hard into the story, or get lost in the dozens of silly side quests! What once was considered to be Shenmue's spiritual successor, Yakuza has evolved into its own strange beast that, as a whole, can't be compared to any other game on the market.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1OppE7c_Vk

The series' main protagonist is a a man by name of Kazuma Kiryu, also known as "The Dragon of Dojima." He's a very serious, stern, and loyal man who fights to protect his friends, family, and those he trusts in his former Yakuza family: the Tojo Clan. Many of the games in this series occur in the fictional "Kamuro-cho" red light district in Tokyo, but over time the series has sprawled from Okinawa to Hokkaido! Many of his adventures are super-serious crime dramas surrounding the Tojo Clan dealing with struggles from both within and from other clans. Over the course of the series, new playable characters with their own unique storylines have been added to spice things up and they all have their own special fighting style to make them distinct from Kiryu, so you're sure to find at least someone you really like! Whether it's super fast flippy kicks, brutish bulldozer tackles, pro wrestling moves, knife play, CQC, you've got it all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSlQitUUWNc

But for all the serious crime stories and melodrama, Yakuza is mostly well known for its bizarre, off-the-wall sense of humor and side content! Go at your own pace and see the sights, because usually the games'll just wait for when you're ready! Don't wanna go save the day right now? Go hang out at a Pachinko parlor! Not feeling up to that boss fight? Go help Michael Jackson shoot a music video! Zombie apocalypse seem a little too humdrum? Go sing at karaoke! Manage a baseball team! Play slot cars! Go have phone sex! Recruit a chicken to help you with your real estate business! Take care of a baby! Go beat up a bunch of fat dudes DRESSED as babies! Go fishing! Create your own Clan!

Come for the gripping Japanese criminal drama with real world Japanese actors scanned into the games, stay for the trading card games and pro wrestlers!

What games are in the series?
Boy, am I glad you asked! Yakuza has a truckload of games just waiting for you to play and enjoy so here they all are! Most of these trailers do the heavy lifting in explaining what they're about and the gameplay, so there's minimal text underneath each one to give you a little additional information.

• Yakuza Zero (PC / PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMUr36dCRik

Chronologically the first game in the series and one of the most popular games in the franchise, and also coming to PC! :siren: If you're new to Yakuza, play this first! :siren:

• Yakuza Kiwami 1 (PC / PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6Ez2HSaA8Q

This is a fully fledged remake of the original Yakuza 1 built on the engine for Yakuza Zero. It's a very faithful remake that keeps all of the original content and adds even more content from Yakuza Zero. It is suggested that you play this after Zero because of new additions to the story that tie into Zero.

• Yakuza Kiwami 2 (PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vng-2rETJK0

This remake of PS2's Yakuza 2 is the latest entry to the series and is the second game to be built on the all-new engine made for Yakuza 6. It's not as faithful a remake as Kiwami 1 with some locales and minor details removed but makes up the difference with an all-new Majima campaign and even more enhancements and additions on what Yakuza 6 built.

• Yakuza 3 (PS3/PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dn5RtYfX8Q8

Kazuma Kiryu's official debut on the PlayStation 3! As the first true Yakuza game for its generation, Yakuza 3 pushed forward with an all-new engine and an all-new style that introduced many new features to the franchise. The Western release unfortunately suffered some content cuts because of Sega of America's strange ideas, so things like Hostess Clubs and Mahjong are not in this title. As of this thread's posting, Yakuza 3 is only available in the West as a disc-exclusive PlayStation 3 release but a PlayStation 4 HD Remaster has been announced and is almost guaranteed to come overseas.

• Yakuza 4 (PS3/PS4/PS Now)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpqEyoRKPiA

The first Yakuza game to really branch out and implement multiple protagonists! Meet a whole new cast of playable characters who you'll learn to grow and love across all the future Yakuza games (except one)! Much like Yakuza 3, Yakuza 4 also has a confirmed PlayStation 4 HD Remaster in the works. For PS4 owners who are too impatient though, you can play it through PlayStation Now.

• Yakuza 5 (PS3/PS4/PS Now)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5RAQ7FUDaA

The final main series game dedicated on the PlayStation 3, Yakuza 5 stands as to this date as the most content jampacked of all the PS3 games and undoubtedly has the story with the largest scale featuring five different protagonists having adventures across Japan. As you might have guessed by now, there is a PlayStation 4 HD Remaster coming at some point and you can play it right now on PlayStation Now if you don't have a PS3 and don't want to wait for the remaster.

• Yakuza 6: The Song of Life (PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9xc4X-f49M

The final game in Kazuma Kiryu's story chronologically in the Yakuza franchise and the debut of the brand new style of Yakuza game, this game acts as the culmination of several previous games to create a dramatic finale that also kicks off a brand new generation of Yakuza games! With an even more streamlined open world and a new combat engine, Yakuza 6 takes the franchise in a bold new direction that would later be built upon by Yakuza Kiwami 2. Just keep in mind that this was the first game on the engine and as such it doesn't have much in the way of optional content.

• "New Yakuza Series" (PC / Smartphone / Consoles)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9xn1PNNK_Q

With the end of Kazuma Kiryu's story in Kamurocho, Sega and Team Yakuza have a brand new series of Yakuza games to present to you! Very little is known about them at this point, but they star a brand new protagonist by the name of Kasuga Ichiban (who is a low level yakuza thug) and it will be a sequel story to Kazuma Kiryu's.

• Yakuza: Dead Souls (PS3)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4RE-cWHtWNE

What do you do when you're Team Yakuza and you want to try making a shooter but want to make sure you've got the kinks ironed out before hand? You make a Yakuza spinoff! Yakuza: Dead Souls is the only third-person shooter in the franchise and tasks players with saving Kamurocho and the world from a growing zombie apocalypse centered in Kamurocho, featuring a cast of all-star Yakuza characters coming together to make an exciting if weird and kind of clunky non-canon zombie shooter! Team Yakuza later went on to make Binary Domain, which isn't in this thread because it's not a Yakuza/Yakuza-related game but I assure you it's actually pretty decent and you should go play that.

• Ryu ga Gotoku KENZAN! (PS3)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy8Y0COa33Y

This is Yakuza's debut title on PlayStation 3 and the game that kicked off Yakuza's march into full 3D, implementing many of the techniques like 3D environments and 3D facial scanning which the series would become known for. This Japanese-exclusive entry to the franchise stars the legendary samurai Miyamoto Musashi who, after being defeated by the army of Ieyasu Tokugawa at the Battle of Sekigahara in 1600, retires and changes his identity to become a bodyguard in the luxurious city of Gion where he goes by the name of Kazumanosuke Kiryu. His quiet, humdrum life as a rent-a-sword is thrown into turmoil when he encounters a little girl by the name of Haruka, who has a job for him: Assassinate Miyamoto Musashi!

Despite being lauded by the Japanese fans as one of the greatest games in the franchise, it is doubtful that it will ever see Western release... but that doesn't mean you can't enjoy it yourself! Fellow Goon Egomaniac over in the Let's Play forum did an entire let's play for KENZAN! that you can enjoy here. If anything, please enjoy this kickass theme song the game has!

• Ryu ga Gotoku ISHIN! (PS3/PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZP8eduECw8

This Japanese-exclusive entry was a PlayStation 4 launch day game. Continuining with the theme of having new PlayStation console debuts with samurai-oriented spinoffs, ISHIN! takes place during the final days of the Samurai during the Bakumatsu Period in the mid-1800s with Kazuma Kiryu-ancestor (and real world samurai) Sakamoto Ryoma.

• Kurohyō: Ryū ga Gotoku Shinshō (PSP)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nHV5Wa7-ogo

Kurohyo is a weird beast. It's a Japanese PSP-exclusive spinoff series that's about a punk teenager who really wants to get into MMA and gets swept up in some Yakuza shenanigans. I really don't know a whole lot about it and the only reason it's here is because I wanted to be somewhat thorough but there's virtually zero chance that the Kurohyous will ever come overseas and every attempt I've seen at a fan translation just peters out so just admire it as a curiosity. The sequel doesn't get any kind of write-up because what else could I really say other than "it somehow got a sequel?"

• Kurohyō 2: Ryū ga Gotoku Ashura hen (PSP)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPJcdzI4-oY

• Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise (PS4)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eH14wbODYO4

It's the crossover you never knew you wanted! A Fist of the North Star game made by Team Yakuza, with Kazuma Kiryu's voice actor playing as Kenshiro! All of the great Yakuza gameplay you know and love mixed with the uber-1980s manly Hokuto no Ken action and style known around the world. Featuring a whole slew of brand new mini-games and systems to play with, Lost Paradise takes players through an encapsulated Greatest Hits of all the best parts of Fist of the North Star with all the exciting and memorable battles with its classic villains in that classic Yakuza game style. You're Already Dead if you don't buy this game!

That's all the major, notable games in the Yakuza franchise and beyond! As mentioned before, if you're new start with Yakuza Zero! Other than that, welcome and please talk about Yakuza.

Policenaut fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jul 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So Yakuza 6 is for sure the end for Kiryu huh? Haven't looked into the story for 6 at all.

Got my business edition of Zero preordered today so I'm ready for Tuesday :getin:

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
Not ashamed to say I'm only getting a ps4 for this series.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Excited to play this video game. It's a shame the best character and secret protagonist of the series Akiyama isn't in it though.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

projecthalaxy posted:

Excited to play this video game. It's a shame the best character and secret protagonist of the series Akiyama isn't in it though.

That's a weird way to write "Haruka"

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Oh nice, you used my thread title suggestion! :)

Tuesday is so far away, thank God for the DQ8 remake to help pass time.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Wooop woop!! Hope the game comes in the mail tomorrow!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Amazon Prime is both a blessing and a curse since I'll definitely get it release day but no chance of getting it earlier.

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Sakurazuka posted:

Amazon Prime is both a blessing and a curse since I'll definitely get it release day but no chance of getting it earlier.
We'll see this time. I know Best Buy usually gets me games Friday or Monday before retail Tuesday. My Y0 is with Amazon Prime and I saw it shipped out Friday and right now it's sitting at the mail depot 20 minutes away. I would be surprised if it doesn't find its way here in the Monday mail. I'm super excited.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Very much looking forward to this and now that it's set in the 80's it'll feel even more like Shenmue alternative timeline sequel!

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

i got it a bit earlier due to europe caring less about breaking street dates and i just want to say its good, folks. ain't too far into it yet but the styles system is real fun and adds a lot to keep combat more interesting and feel less samey.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I loving love this weird-rear end game.

I meant to just try it quickly but completely fell in love with it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I was reading some plot summaries of 4 and 5 to remind myself what happened, and remembered there was something in the end of 4 that I never understood. When the crew flies up to the Millennium Tower and blows away all of Akiyama's vault money they were using for bait, Akiyama acts like it's not a big deal and he's still rich in 5. Was it fake money? Did he have to earn back his fortune between the games?

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Housh posted:

We'll see this time. I know Best Buy usually gets me games Friday or Monday before retail Tuesday. My Y0 is with Amazon Prime and I saw it shipped out Friday and right now it's sitting at the mail depot 20 minutes away. I would be surprised if it doesn't find its way here in the Monday mail. I'm super excited.

I have this preordered with Prime and live in a Chicago suburb and have not seen mine ship at all.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Why do I get the feeling that this game just might be the one that gives the series decent exposure in the West at last? It's been getting pretty glowing reviews too.

Randallteal posted:

I was reading some plot summaries of 4 and 5 to remind myself what happened, and remembered there was something in the end of 4 that I never understood. When the crew flies up to the Millennium Tower and blows away all of Akiyama's vault money they were using for bait, Akiyama acts like it's not a big deal and he's still rich in 5. Was it fake money? Did he have to earn back his fortune between the games?

Yakuza 4 spoilers: It's implied that Akiyama knows how to get rich through the stock market, given that he used to work in finance and already built his way up from rags to riches with various investments. So it's real money, but between the events of 4 and 5 he built up his money again through various investments.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Yakuza thread finally has a PS4 tag. Times they are a-changing.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Now the only bookmarked thread I have with the PS3 tag is Demon's Souls...

Hortism
Oct 25, 2010

I remember being blown away by the graphical improvements when loading up Yakuza 3 on the PS3 for the first time all those year ago.

Having not followed to much media, here's hoping 0's is similarly impressive!

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Hortism posted:

I remember being blown away by the graphical improvements when loading up Yakuza 3 on the PS3 for the first time all those year ago.

Having not followed to much media, here's hoping 0's is similarly impressive!

It had a PS3 release as well, so set your expectations accordingly.

Not lying when I say I literally bought a PS4 for this. And now we're getting TWO more of these games, hot drat!

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Looking forward to rocking this on Tuesday, looks awesome. Will be my first Yakuza game, will be dope/glorious getting into this!

The peeps buying a PS4 for this, if you don't already have it on PC I recommend Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, tis good times.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
They're not perfect, but 4 and 5 still look absolutely gorgeous today. Only 1 and 2 have really aged poorly.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

precision posted:

They're not perfect, but 4 and 5 still look absolutely gorgeous today. Only 1 and 2 have really aged poorly.

They aren't too bad if you upscale them on pscx2 though that gives you other graphical problems. Combat's pretty clunky though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The worst thing about 5, graphically, is what the Hell is going on with Haruka's faaaaaaace :gonk:

She looks like a RealDoll, which is gross on like five levels

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

5 also had all those really blurry signs and storefronts in some of the cities. Just 0 being crisp clear and 60fps is a massive improvement.

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe

man nurse posted:

It had a PS3 release as well, so set your expectations accordingly.

Not lying when I say I literally bought a PS4 for this. And now we're getting TWO more of these games, hot drat!

:hfive:

Just bought a PS4 Pro today with some amazon gift card money, too drat excited for Yakuza stuff. I know preordering games is bad but Yakuza deserves an exception.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Bought the game off PSN, got it all downloaded and installed and ready to go. Now I just have this little countdown timer mocking me.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

projecthalaxy posted:

Bought the game off PSN, got it all downloaded and installed and ready to go. Now I just have this little countdown timer mocking me.
The PS4's "play the first part of the game before it's done downloading" feature hasn't panned out at all.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Samurai Sanders posted:

The PS4's "play the first part of the game before it's done downloading" feature hasn't panned out at all.

It works pretty well sometimes. I used it with Mortal Kombat X and NBA 2K16 I remember. It works better if there's a stripped down mode (essentially quick match/play now for both titles I mentioned), but it seems OK. It just doesn't let you break street date is all.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
The combat in this game seriously makes me wince.

Batman would tell these guys to take it down a notch or five.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Oxxidation posted:

If their body isn't broken and full of shattered metal pieces from the bicycle that you crushed on top of them, how will they know that they were wrong? It sounds like you're anti-education.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
How, after 7 yakuza games, there's still a street thug in Japan who will just pick a fight with Kiryu for no reason is beyond me.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome
I like that in the game where you do all these brutal moves to people and even shoot them multiple times with guns in the gameplay, in a cutscene when a gun comes out it's like woah.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Chexoid posted:

How, after 7 yakuza games, there's still a street thug in Japan who will just pick a fight with Kiryu for no reason is beyond me.
In Zero he's not a legend yet, and almost all the rest start with a period of him being out of the face smashing business, presumably long enough for these young and stupid street punks to have limited info on him. That's about all I've got.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chexoid posted:

At least with him you can just say "they don't recognize him".

How anyone in the world would take one look at Saejima and think "Yeah, I can take this guy", now that's a whole other story.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Passport to Pizza is a good side story.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Oxxidation posted:

I wish they would bring back the bloody/deformed thug faces. That was something I really missed in 5.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

Randallteal posted:

I wish they would bring back the bloody/deformed thug faces. That was something I really missed in 5.

The best thing was when a guy had a pair of sunglasses, and after it's just hanging off his face missing a lens because YOU STOMPED ON HIS loving FACE TWICE.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I will miss stabbing people in the stomach, then slashing their throats with chili covered knives that light them on fire, after which they apologize and give me a plate made of iron

and that twirly thing they always did with their arm

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

I always cringe at that move when you grate a face on the street then toss it to the side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...
My favorite thing is the Heat Moves where using it a bunch can trigger your character realizing they could actually be even more violent with it, and then just doing that from now on. Like after stomping a dude's head into a wall enough times, Akiyama realizes he could stomp the dude's head into the wall twice before scissor kicking him into the cement.