Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Namely "News Media is the enemy"

And Trump would know, he's an avid consumer of the MSM and he knows nothing about the world, yet is incredibly fearful of it

So what now CSPAM, what now

Now I know Trump meant "news media that is not my personal propaganda machine is the enemy" but still

If you had an infinite amount of Trumps sending an infinite amount of tweets, would one of them eventually start tweeting about truth and justice?

PS> Japanese translator burn:

quote:

“He is so overconfident and yet so logically unconvincing that my interpreter friends and I often joke that if we translated his words as they are, we would end up making ourselves sound stupid,”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
so donald trump makes more sense in japanese?

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

quote:

Like Tsuruta, English-Japanese interpreters recall being dumbstruck by Trump’s disregard for logic and facts as well as his unabashed use of a litany of sexist and racist remarks during the election campaign.

This challenge, the likes of which they claim was not an issue when interpreting for renowned orator Barack Obama, Trump’s predecessor, has spotlighted a long-standing dilemma dogging their profession — whether to sanitize the words of a controversial speaker.

Opinions are divided, with some saying Trump’s colorful language should be neutralized, while others are adamant interpreters should not hesitate to translate him exactly as he sounds in English.

The difficulty translating Trump, they say, has little to do with his use of language.

In fact, it is no secret that “Trumpese” — as his phraseology is called — is by and large simple, characterized by repetition, easy grammar and elementary-level vocabulary.

A “readability analysis” of presidential campaign speeches by researchers at Carnegie Mellon University’s Language Technologies Institute (LTI) revealed last March that Trump’s lexical richness was the lowest — at seventh-grade level — of his rival candidates and past U.S. presidents.

The study also described his grammatical level as grade 5.7, the second-worst after George W. Bush, who barely topped the fifth-grade level.

Particularly symbolic of this characteristic, Tsuruta said, was Trump’s inauguration speech, which she said was peppered with everyday vocabulary, perhaps with the exception of “carnage.”

In addition, the businessman uncharacteristically used a teleprompter and read from a script, which made the Jan. 20 speech flow coherently enough, the professor noted.

But it’s when he speaks off-the-cuff, Tsuruta said, that interpreters are most likely to find themselves scratching their heads, with Trump frequently jumping from one topic to another and gravitating toward insults and vulgarities.

Miwako Hibi, a broadcast interpreter of more than 20 years, said it was “very hard” to follow Trump’s logic — or lack thereof — particularly his tendency to mention proper nouns out of context.

She still remembers the dread she felt as she was translating live Trump’s victory speech on Nov. 9, when the president-elect — apropos of nothing — made a reference to “Reince” and “secretariat” without spelling out who and what they are.

“When he suddenly said ‘Reince is a superstar,’ I was literally thrown off. Only after the camera zoomed in on the face of a ‘Reince’ did I realize who Trump was talking about, and I hastily added, for the sake of the audience, that it’s actually ‘Reince Priebus, the Republican National Committee chairman,’ ” Hibi said.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

trump is sort of a satire character in that he does from time to time identify real problems, but does so because of dumb as hell reasons and then he comes up with even dumber solutions

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
gently caress em, he's an rear end in a top hat

Maduo
Sep 8, 2006

You see all the colors.
All of them.

The Brown Menace posted:

trump is sort of a satire character in that he does from time to time identify real problems, but does so because of dumb as hell reasons and then he comes up with even dumber solutions

This. Trump hates the news because he thinks they're jew lizards who are trying to shrink his hands with lies

As long as your reasons for hating the news are better than that, you're solid

ugh its Troika
May 2, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
it's only a quandary if you hate Trump

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

when is he going to use the justice department to sue cnn

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

get that OUT of my face posted:

when is he going to use the justice department to sue cnn

"justice department"

I assume he's going to just whip up a executive order to excommunicate all non-compliant media branches

Things I learned from CNN on Friday when the sound was off at the gym:

White House Chaos

Mitch McConnell took to the podium. He began talking, but something happened to the video feed - it became all fuzzy and split into two images. The image lost all definition, then slowly re-synced itself again. McConnell finished speaking. It then cut to a reporter.

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
out of the 35k tweets our president has made, there has only been one that is unambiguously amazing

https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/258262904091058176

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe
now i want a coke

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.

Baloogan posted:

now i want a coke

I'm a Dr. Pepper/Mr. Pibb man myself

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
soda is for cucks

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
American politics right now is like if they took the little kid from "the Emperor Has No Clothes" and made him the new Emperor.

The Brown Menace
Dec 24, 2010

Now comes in all colors.

Helsing posted:

American politics right now is like if they took the little kid from "the Emperor Has No Clothes" and made him the new Emperor.

This but the kid actually thought the emperor had clothes and just called him out because he was jealous of them

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

crossposting from a different c-spam thread

Oh Snapple! posted:

Much like when he shat on Bill for his own history of sexual assault, calling out the media is something that Trump is technically correct to do but it can't be forgotten that it's coming from an absolutely deplorable place: A likely rapist who just wants to deflect from his own bullshit/A fascist who literally believes he should never be covered negatively.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

out of the 35k tweets our president has made, there has only been one that is unambiguously amazing

That is pretty amazing

Oh lord, this isn't a tweet but I'm sure CSPAM agrees: antisemitism is bad

Oh, and this is interesting: Ivanka converted to Judaism

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

trump made one tweet about telling people to shut up with the anti-semitism, and he probably thinks he doesn't have to do anything else. this poo poo will continue unabated and i'll lean ever closer towards thinking getting a gun is a good idea

it's a start, i guess, but it's meaningless unless he keeps beating that drum, and his attention span is so short that there's little chance of that happening

Nebakenezzer posted:

converting to judaism isn't uncommon these days, especially in a marriage where the woman isn't jewish. it's certainly unheard of in most parts of the country where jewish populations aren't robust though

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

That's one I wish Warhol were alive to see

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Nebakenezzer posted:

That is pretty amazing

Oh lord, this isn't a tweet but I'm sure CSPAM agrees: antisemitism is bad

lol

[the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect executive director} “The president’s sudden acknowledgment of anti-Semitism is a Band-Aid on the cancer of anti-Semitism that has infected his own administration.”

[Sean Spicer:] “It’s ironic that no matter how many times he talks about this that it’s never good enough.”

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
how is that ironic

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

he talked about it once, you loving potato goblin

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
the problem is when he says 'news media' he basically means 'journalism'. the real enemy here is that he can't just say something and have it be the truth, there are people who insist he is wrong even though he is the president. i am 90% sure that is how he has run his companies both externally and internally

he's only started with mainstream news networks because those are the ones he knows and everyone knows, but eventually we're going to see him pull poo poo like 'cspan is fake news' when all they do is just film what people do in political contexts, and 'this rando small local outlet that only has like a single writer and single reporter is actually a jewish conspiracy' given enough time and heat.

there are major problems with the news predicated on, primarily, their nature as an entrepreneurial venture, whereby attracting attention is more important than being principled and objective, along with them being too closely tied to various political interests, but for trump the problem with the news is that they exist and disagree with him and it would be better if they just stopped

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Nebakenezzer posted:

lol

[the Anne Frank Center for Mutual Respect executive director} “The president’s sudden acknowledgment of anti-Semitism is a Band-Aid on the cancer of anti-Semitism that has infected his own administration.”

[Sean Spicer:] “It’s ironic that no matter how many times he talks about this that it’s never good enough.”

poo poo spicy strikes again

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
also the proper word is 'twote' you gently caress

Pajser
Jan 28, 2006

Gyra_Solune posted:

also the proper word is 'twote' you gently caress

his twats are hilarious

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

Baloogan posted:

now i want coke

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

if flawed media outlets are "fake news," then what does that make that mythical swedish terrorist attack, or the nonexistent bowling green massacre

potee
Jul 23, 2007

Or, you know.

Not fine.

get that OUT of my face posted:

if flawed media outlets are "fake news," then what does that make that mythical swedish terrorist attack, or the nonexistent bowling green massacre

Alternative facts

Telephones
Apr 28, 2013
MR TRUMP MR TRUMP
How do you feel about pepsi mr trump????

e meant to say prez trump my bad no disrespect (and maybe im in the wrong thread im not really sure)

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Telephones posted:

MR TRUMP MR TRUMP
How do you feel about pepsi mr trump????

e meant to say prez trump my bad no disrespect (and maybe im in the wrong thread im not really sure)

he is a Pepsi drinker because he is a bad person who no doubt prefers bad things, now me, I like Coke, margaritas, and tacos

stop offending my friends trump, stop offending people who make good things

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

Lindsey O. Graham posted:

he is a Pepsi drinker because he is a bad person who no doubt prefers bad things, now me, I like Coke, margaritas, and tacos

stop offending my friends trump, stop offending people who make good things

get hosed you georgia shill pepsi is the nc cola and redneck cola if you dont wanna out your rear end as nc in your lovely little kid brother state :wink:

srsly thos :smugdon: has made a thing about drinkin diet coke, and he said only fat people drink diet coke. so i guess he tweeted 2 things we all agree with

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

he is nothing if not a fat, unhealthy man. he's not going to die in office because of it though

Olga Gurlukovich
Nov 13, 2016

he might, you never know! it would be a pretty trump way to g o

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

it took scalia until just before the age of 80 for his fat slug diet to kill him, so i'm not optimistic

Big Fat Iguana
Aug 21, 2016

remember. and never lie.
It is amazing how long good healthcare can keep a lich alive, look at Dick Cheney. Dude literally went without a heart for a few months until they found him a donor.

Trump won't die in office, his doctors won't let him

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
it's like the plot of monster

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

cheney's gone without a heart for way longer than a few months

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
Ale-8-1 would've won

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Just in case you were in doubt about this being the bizarro timeline, GW Bush just went on the Today show with the message that Trump should check himself before he wrecks himself. He defended religious tolerance and media independence as vital freedoms in America.

Quick, somebody dredge Fox news, see if they report this

• Locked thread