Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

One of my favorite podcast networks is Duckfeed.tv. This is a comedy podcast network primarily focused on retro video games, but they also put out content on music and books. I've enjoyed their programs for years as they are consistently hilarious and informative and genuinely love what they cover.

The tone of the podcasts tend to be relaxed and natural, without the hosts trying to scream about bad games or overuse memes. It is an excellent choice for casual car listening podcasts. They have a large number of shows, including some that have been discontinued. The primary hosts are Gary Butterfield and Kole Ross.

Their shows:

Watch Out for Fireballs

Their biggest show is Watch Out for Fireballs. This is a retro gaming podcast where Kole and Gary go in depth on a game. It is a nice mix of big name releases, such as Mega Man 2 & 3 or Resident Evil 4, and more obscure titles like Shadowrun (SNES) or E.V.O. Big titles such as Fallout or Deus Ex get multi-part episodes.

It is one of my favorites as if I already like the game is a fine nostalgia trip (especially the music inclusions), and if I haven't played the game they do a good job explaining everything. Both hosts take detailed notes while playing and present them in a coherent narrative so it is easy to follow along. Each episode opens with a short comedy sketch about the game which I enjoy, but admittedly can be a little hit or miss in the early episodes.

After an episode is released, they put out an "Extrasode" that includes listener e-mails. It is a neat way to get feedback and listener opinions.

Episode recommendations: Maniac Mansion (including an interview with Ron Gilbert!), Gabriel Knight: The Beast Within, Deus Ex, Earthbound.

Abject Suffering

My second favorite show on the network. They play a bad game and discuss it. Very prone to delightful tangents. I'd recommend starting with episode 7: Home Improvement, that's when they got the format figured out and began a good run on delightful content.

Episode recommendations: A Week of Garfield, Barbie Horse Adventures: Wild Horse Rescue, Home Improvement, Zoo Race, Angel Quiz.

Monster in My Podcast

Gary and Kole are going through the D&D monster manual and riffing on the entries. Each episode is only about five minutes so it is fun for bingeing, especially when the have eight entries in a row about giants and get mad. They are a 120 episodes in and only up to the H's.

Episode recommendations: Just start from the beginning, (Reverend Lovejoy voice) it's all good.

Bonfireside Chat

This is one of the largest shows on the network audience wise and goes in-depth on the Dark Souls series. I've barely touched those games so I haven't listened much, but I've heard good things. They had a few horror and book reviews in this feed and those were great.

Check It Out Comrade

Gary and Nick discuss indie games. It's not as in-depth as Watch Out for Fireballs or comedy focused as Abject Suffering, but still pretty good. Good way to get info about an indie game to find out if it is worth playing.

Radio Free Midworld

Kole leads a book discussion of Stephen King's Dark Tower series. This is super in-depth, I've only listened to the first few episodes but it is well-constructed and a recommend for King fans.

Other shows on the network include The Level (about the game industry), File Under Water (about R.E.M.), Days of Future Cast (about the old X-Men cartoon), and an assortment of others. Check out all their shows at duckfeed.tv, or on your podcast app of choice.

Hyrax Attack! fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Jun 22, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I HAVE TO USE MY SOUND SWORD NOW.
I didn't expect to see us get our own thread. Neat.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

GJ, man, i really love Duckfeed. Has easily the best (and certainly most non-exasperating) videogame podcasts I've listened to, and with plenty of other good non-game stuff besides. File Under Water is single-handedly getting me into REM after putting it off for ages.

Abject Suffering and Teenage Dirtbags are particular favorites, they're funny as hell. All the hosts on all the shows seem super nice and down to earth. Good good podcasts.

edit: oh dang one of them posted right above me lol. I hope this post doesn't seem too gushy! I really like your shows and want more people to listen to 'em!!

misadventurous fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 21, 2017

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
Monster in my Podcast is one of my favorite shows. Everything from last week was amazing.

The SHNSAC epsiode of the Pitch is also the funniest thing I've ever heard, although I couldn't tell you why.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
there are like three video game podcasts I can always be assured won't be absolutely exhausting to listen to at any point, congrats on being one of them Duckfeed.

Also yea Monster in my Podcast is fantastic.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

The quality of Duckfeed is fueled greatly by the talent and attention to detail its hosts (namely Kole) pay to the editing and presentation of each episode of every show, but I think these guys also really got drat lucky with who they happened to meet and pair up with. Kole and Gary on the many shows they host together have a bizarrely compatible synergy that makes each episode flow better than most programs I see anywhere else. I'm sure there is some editing involved, too, but it's so great. They inspired me to get off my rear end and start my own podcast. In the last two years, I have listened to probably 3/4th of their entire catalog by now and I'm always amazed at how well it's all put together. Even the most green and experimental stuff (listen to the first handful of episodes of some of their older shows) sounds so much more organized and paced better than what we would otherwise consider professionally made popular media. It's not surprising Kole has experience in radio, I guess.

I had the chance to meet these guys at the Portland Retro Games convention last year. It's weird talking to people who have been talking in my ear several hours a day every day for more than a year.

Since we're on this subject; I've listened to most of their Abject Suffering, Monster in my Podcast, Watch Out for Fireballs, and Bonfireside Chat...is Teenage Dirtbags or The Level any good? I picked a random episode of The Level and didn't care for it at all -- it felt entirely disorganized and random and lacked the structure I feel with the other shows, but it may have been an off episode.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
I like teenage dirtbags but I can see all the strange segments and in jokes turning people off.

GNU Order
Feb 28, 2011

That's a paddlin'

The R-Zone zone hailing calls might have been the hardest I laughed at anything last year

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

credburn posted:

Teenage Dirtbags or The Level any good?

Teenage Dirtbags is extremely good, you gotta get in on that

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

HolePisser1982 posted:

Teenage Dirtbags is extremely good, you gotta get in on that

Could you recommend a good intro episode?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I don't know what the gently caress happened but I got into watch out for fireballs some time last summer and the various duckfeed shows are giving the Mcelroy clan a run for their money on my ipod

Watch out for fireballs is my favorite videogame related podcast because Gary and Cole are great at being funny but also analytical which other podcast I tried can't seem to pull off as well.

[e] Also angel quiz and zoo race aren't in the recommended abject suffering episode list which they totally should be.

Koholint
Jan 1, 2010

~Neck Angels~
The first episode I listened to was the Tripping on a Hole in a Paper Heart ep recorded shortly after Scott Weiland died and it completely sold me on the show. Check that one out, or just start from the beginning. The sound quality was pretty bad for a while but I think it's the funniest show on the network along with Abject Suffering so it's worth it.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Could you recommend a good intro episode?

Ooh, maybe Ep 12: How Can the Labouring Man Find Time For Self Culture. You'll definitely get swept up in the cutest pokemon tournament hype

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

"Freak on a Leash" is the one I recommend.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I love WOFF, Bonfireside, Suffering, DOFC, and Radio Free Midworld. Don't do their music casts because they have bad music opinions. Starting an entire podcast about boring old white guy band REM is all the proof you need of that. But in general love the network.

I feel like this last season of BFSC broke them though. Gary and Cole are now both constantly defending almost everything they say and arguing with a straw man who's not there about stuff on every show. I'm sure that comes from all the dumb poo poo they got from idiot dark souls 3 fans for them not sucking that game off the entire season, but it's starting to get grating even as someone who likes their output.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Does anyone recall which episode of Abject Suffering is the one where they discover the horrifying Disney princess medical games? I've had "Pregnant Rapunzel Neck Surgery" burned into my brain for a while now, maybe I can find some relief

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is it a whole episode about the weirdly specific/almost 100% certainly fetish based genre, because if so I also need that episode number.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

It's a fairly early one, but I can't remember which.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vince MechMahon posted:

I feel like this last season of BFSC broke them though. Gary and Cole are now both constantly defending almost everything they say and arguing with a straw man who's not there about stuff on every show. I'm sure that comes from all the dumb poo poo they got from idiot dark souls 3 fans for them not sucking that game off the entire season, but it's starting to get grating even as someone who likes their output.

Yeah I kinda had to stop listening for the same reason. I feel like the breaking point was the Profaned Capitol episode where it felt like they were constantly reiterating their views on Yhorm being a disappointment in slightly different ways for like 40 minutes straight? It probably wasn't 40 minutes, but it did feel like that.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

DrManiac posted:

Also angel quiz and zoo race aren't in the recommended abject suffering episode list which they totally should be.

Holy cow how did I forget Zoo Race and Angel Quiz? Good catch, I got those added.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Yeah I kinda had to stop listening for the same reason. I feel like the breaking point was the Profaned Capitol episode where it felt like they were constantly reiterating their views on Yhorm being a disappointment in slightly different ways for like 40 minutes straight? It probably wasn't 40 minutes, but it did feel like that.

Gary in particular seems to have gotten way more defensive about stuff. His stuff about Nioh on social media in particular just seems like he played the beta, made up his mind that he doesn't like it, and that's that. Which like, fine, it's their show, but it's a little disheartening for someone who got into the show cause they seemed to have a real love and passion for this stuff. I'm wondering if maybe they should just so a few month long break from the game stuff in general to just kind of reset.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Bloodborne 3 Season: Gary's being gangstalked by DS3-II fans

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Bonfireside Chat is the only video game podcast I listen to or probably will ever listen to. I also like Radio Free Mid-World. Good podcasts.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

Listening to the Abject Suffering episode about Ganja Farmer affected me weirdly. Gary talks about his indifference to weed and he mentions this kind of aside about grownups being high around him as a kid. My parents were drug dealers, and when I grew up I had a really strong (at times debilitating) fear and repulsion to weed even if intellectually I understood it wasn't a big deal. It came from just being a kid and not understanding what it meant when someone was "drunk" or "high." As a naive, dumb kid all I really understood was that sometimes Mom acts really loving weird and I want to be anywhere else but here. It's one of those things I've dealt with my entire life and it's hard to talk to because very few people can relate. Many of my friends had parents who were drug addicts or dealers themselves, and most of them just became addicts and dealers. Very few of us grew up the opposite way.

Well, anyway. It's kind of strange to point to a half hour long podcast about a bad video game as being so significant, but it helped me get through an otherwise long, lonely day.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

credburn posted:

Listening to the Abject Suffering episode about Ganja Farmer affected me weirdly. Gary talks about his indifference to weed and he mentions this kind of aside about grownups being high around him as a kid. My parents were drug dealers, and when I grew up I had a really strong (at times debilitating) fear and repulsion to weed even if intellectually I understood it wasn't a big deal. It came from just being a kid and not understanding what it meant when someone was "drunk" or "high." As a naive, dumb kid all I really understood was that sometimes Mom acts really loving weird and I want to be anywhere else but here. It's one of those things I've dealt with my entire life and it's hard to talk to because very few people can relate. Many of my friends had parents who were drug addicts or dealers themselves, and most of them just became addicts and dealers. Very few of us grew up the opposite way.

Well, anyway. It's kind of strange to point to a half hour long podcast about a bad video game as being so significant, but it helped me get through an otherwise long, lonely day.

That's honestly kinda heartwarming in a weird way.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

The Vosgian Beast posted:

That's honestly kinda heartwarming in a weird way.

Yeah Kole and Gary are great at the personable moments like that.

I started listening to File Under Water, it is excellent and now I have to track down R.E.M. on Spotify. So far it is like a less star studded but more focused U Talking U2 to Me.

jasoneatspizza
Jul 6, 2010
These podcasts have gotten me through so many hangovers.

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Without these podcasts I never would have realized it wasn't spelled "Nobunga"

Song For The Deaf
Aug 10, 2006

I feel bad promoting more stuff in this nice thread about the network, but we just released a charity bundle. Check it out here... it's time to rock with the Diggity Duck Bundle. http://duckfeed.tv/store

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
WOFF on Pacman 2 is a loving bold choice, shame I'm unemployed.

E: Is there a list of all the suggested games for Abject Suffering? I'm not sure I submitted some properly a while ago (Cautious V and IVAN)

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 27, 2017

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Was worth the $10 for the baked potato jamboree down stairs.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Song For The Deaf posted:

I feel bad promoting more stuff in this nice thread about the network, but we just released a charity bundle. Check it out here... it's time to rock with the Diggity Duck Bundle. http://duckfeed.tv/store

Don't feel bad dude, it's so great that you guys are doing this. Part of why i'm a fan of the network is how... humane? all of the casts (and casts of the casts) feel and that naturally extends to your charity stuff (Duckstream '16 hooked me in a big, bad way)
And like, it's for an excellent cause. Promote away i say.

also lord is that a good name for a bundle

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I don't think I "get" this episode of BFC in the bundle. Like, I know Souls of Darkness is not real. But is there actually a reference to the book Gary wrote in FF2, in the form of a fake tiger LCD game?

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Vince MechMahon posted:

I don't think I "get" this episode of BFC in the bundle. Like, I know Souls of Darkness is not real. But is there actually a reference to the book Gary wrote in FF2, in the form of a fake tiger LCD game?

Yes, that does exist in Frog Fractions 2/Glittermitten Grove

It's hidden within a different minigame, but it's there

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

rumble in the bunghole posted:

E: Is there a list of all the suggested games for Abject Suffering? I'm not sure I submitted some properly a while ago (Cautious V and IVAN)

Just resubmit. Worst case it's not caught (I think there was a single AS episode where the "who suggested this" read brought up the same name twice and they went 'oh well') and best case you're covering your own rear end.

I say this despite probably shotgunning a few games into the list about 5 times now because I need to keep my own drat spreadsheet.

killhamster
Apr 15, 2004

SCAMMER
I've been listening to these dudes a lot lately since they guested on Retronauts and I really enjoy it, it reminds me of hanging out with one of my old buddies and just riffing on whatever comes to mind while playing games back in the day. I listened to the Sonic Spinball episode a while back and since I live in Portland for the foreseeable future, I really wanna show Gary the ropes when it comes to pinball on some of my favorite tables one day at Ground Kontrol or the like.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

I like the frequent reminders that I am exactly in the audience demographic for Duckfeed whenever they make a reference to a specific Dril tweet, Achewood comic, or Wolf in White Van.

Hoping for more tangents about living in Ohio or Portland. Their stories are surprising interesting.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost
my favorite little thing about these shows is what I can only describe as Gary's 'dirty boy' laugh

Xenolalia
Feb 17, 2016

Rad, glad there's a whole thread for this now!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Did anyone read Gary's first book? I have zero connection to the Worlds of Power stuff he's riffing on, but with him doing a kickstarter for a second I'm wondering if I should check it out and maybe back it.