Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

The continuation of the best anime of 2016[*], Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju moves our multigenerational melodrama ahead a few decades to where Rakugo is just about dead, and its only hope is our idiot hero Yotaro. Watch as he tries to save the art form, raise Konatsu's kid, and find his own Rakugo. He also has plenty of time to annoy the poo poo out of the now very old Yakumo, who has got issues that you can understand if you watch the first season!

It's directed by Mamoru Hatakeyama, an ex-SHAFT director who's really coming into his own, and based on an award winning manga by Haruko Kumota.

First season thread! Check out the second post for a very good explanation of just what the gently caress Rakugo is. In short: it's a 400 year-old form of Japanese comedic storytelling where a performer sits alone and performs a whole story just by himself, using minimal props and performing dialog between two or more characters. You don't really have to get it to start watching though, so just dive in!

Watch both seasons on Crunchyroll

The OP is really good!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vGx7u3hMCOA

[*]according to me, the poster with the best taste

an actual dog fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Feb 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
It's always been great, but season 2 has in the last handful episodes come into its own in a way that is almost frightening. It's going to be a real interesting at the end of the year to see whether I pick it or March comes in like a lion for my #1.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Nate RFB posted:

It's always been great, but season 2 has in the last handful episodes come into its own in a way that is almost frightening. It's going to be a real interesting at the end of the year to see whether I pick it or March comes in like a lion for my #1.

I actually preferred season 1, because season 2 doesn't feel as narratively cohesive and enthralling as the first was in terms of the progression of history and the relationships of Young Yakumo and Sukeroku, but season 2 has more standout individual scenes that are just breathtaking in how well they're done. This is definitely going to be my #1 for sure though still.

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Both seasons are insanely good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I feel like Yotaro's relationship with everyone, Yakumo especially, has been the most engrossing part of the story thus far for me and the primary reason why I'm getting so into season 2.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

I dislike Yotaro and think he's the worst part of the series, which is probably why I think this season isn't as good, but drat if some moments with the rest of the cast aren't just brilliant.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
The reveal of what really happened when Sukeroku died was one of the most utterly unexpected scenes I've seen in an anime in years.
I am enjoying this slightly less than season 1, simply because of all the time-skips. It just feels a little rushed.

It's still really good though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The_White_Crane posted:

The reveal of what really happened when Sukeroku died was one of the most utterly unexpected scenes I've seen in an anime in years.

And the fact that they didn't pound it over your head with a flashback to how it supposedly happened was also good. So well executed. Never thought Deen had it in them to make two consistently good seasons of a great show twice in the same season each year.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The_White_Crane posted:

This was probably the moment where everything about S2 (and really S1 in retrospection) clicked for me. So great.

Kusaru
Dec 20, 2006

I'm a Bro-ny!
I love this show.

The_White_Crane posted:

I remember thinking that scene in season one didn't feel quite right, but I would not have guessed what actually happened.

Volume 1 of the manga is available digitally, and comes out in print in May. Still debating which I'll get: http://kodanshacomics.com/series/descending-stories-showa-genroku-rakugo-shinju/

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm kinda kicking myself for the few times I had the OP on the background while the episode was playing, because man, the red eyes version spooked me and I totally missed it when it appeared in episode 5.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
all the montage and resolution in the last episode made me worry, maybe I was actually watching the last episode? happy to see that yakumo still got some ghost dreams left in him

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
This show is so immensely fantastic, the latest one was as good an episode of narrative television as I've ever seen.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everyone is so happy :unsmith:

Oh no, everyone is so happy :ohdear:

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Nate RFB posted:

Everyone is so happy :unsmith:

Oh no, everyone is so happy :ohdear:

yeah :ohdear:

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

That conclusion was amazing. I am so surprised how great this series was from beginning to end. Seeing Matsuda at the end floored me though. :cry:

Also, don't name your child Yotaro. He'll grow up to be an idiot.

Next week: Epilogue

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

The VA for Sukeroku was especially great this episode. It saddens me that (at least according to MAL and Crunchyroll but I don't doubt it) that more people watched the Trinity Seven movie and Gabriel Dropout than Rakugo because this is actually good and those two just aren't. And this is ending next episode. :sadwave:

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The cut to what I presume are manga panels during Yakumo's performance was stylistically super cool and especially emotionally resonant.

Ali Alkali
Apr 23, 2008
second season is a legit anime masterpiece

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
And that's a wrap. That is one cool family. So the implication is that Yakumo was Shinnosuke's biological father??

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Explains a lot. Still, I can't believe that something this good has come to an end. It does feel as if they could have done a season for each period they timeskipped through and certain plot threads feel unfinished and under-explored (remember that snotty journalist guy?), but it was still bloody great.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
"Something this good could never go away!" :unsmith:

Seeing everyone all grown up was great. Especially how similar the daughter is to Yotaro. What a wonderful show.

Dire Lemming
Jan 19, 2016
If you don't coddle Nazis flat Earthers then you're literally as bad as them.
I just watched episode 11 and 12 back to back and I'm glad I did, I got the ending to both halves of the story at once.

This was a great series, I feel like both seasons had a bit of a slow start but I was happy with both by the end. I was also glad to see that Matsuda didn't die at the end of episode 11. Matsuda is eternal.

Nate RFB posted:

So the implication is that Yakumo was Shinnosuke's biological father??

Yea that's pretty much it, I mean you could take it to mean that he's the child of both Yakumo and Sukeroku's rakugo but why bring it up if that's not what you're going for?

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I finally got around to finishing the first season and this is definitely one of the best anime I have ever watched. Will probably be binging the second season over the next week.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The second season was really special. Yotaro is understandably absent for most of the first season and he provides an emotional core to the overall story that really brings it all together. And for a change we got an ending that delivered on just about every possible front. Not to disparage the first season at all of course, since in the end it's all one giant narrative that works best when taken as a whole.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I finished it and it's one of the best anime I've ever seen. I was floored at how each episode outdid the one before it.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Just finished the first season of this. Despite having some major things spoiled for me before I watched it, it was still amazing. Going to start the second season later.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Partway through season two now. Can someone please explain to me the jokes/punchlines of Inokori? I get the story as a whole, but "makes his living by staying behind" seems like something's been lost in translation, and "it's because you're such a pro" being given as the reason the guy was fooled is also a bit odd. Both sound like they could be wordplay that doesn't translate well, or the translators not getting something. A few other stories have had punchlines that felt like the joke didn't translate, but Inokori's the most notable one for me, and it's also such a big one narrative-wise so it's especially vexing not getting it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

isn't that the one where he mooches off of them while ostensibly paying back debt? i took the period of time where he stays there helping and eventually being shoved out with cash as "making his living"

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

dogsicle posted:

isn't that the one where he mooches off of them while ostensibly paying back debt? i took the period of time where he stays there helping and eventually being shoved out with cash as "making his living"

Yeah, it's that one. The guy takes his friends' debt onto himself after a huge party, then mooches and exploits the customers and whatnot until they ask him to leave, at which point he claims to be a wanted criminal and his travel expenses keep him from leaving so they pay him to go away. I get the overall idea, but those two phrases are odd and seem like they could be puns or something that didn't survive translation, hence my asking.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Thinking about Rakugo anime

Okuyasu Nijimura
May 31, 2015

I no joke think this might be the best show I've seen

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yuu Kobayashi is perfect :allears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BX1zqenYFs

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The director's cut of episode 1 (not available on crunchyroll) is really great, and maybe I'm not able to remember the original all that well but like 90% of it seemed new to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

.Clash
Apr 10, 2009

Wark Say posted:

Yuu Kobayashi is perfect :allears:

Thank you youtube related videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-mHUaOO40E

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2012-08-17/moe-rakugo-cd-featuring-voice-actress-yu-kobayashi-released Too bad no translations.

• Locked thread