Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Castle Amber posted:

Trapped in the mysterious Castle Amber, you find yourselves cut off from the world you know. The castle is fraught with peril. Members of the strange Amber family, some insane, some merely deadly, lurk around every corner. Somewhere in the castle is the key to your escape, but can you survive long enough to find it?

I think it'd be fun to run the classic D&D module Castle Amber using the World of Dungeons system. Who's with me?

Written by Tom Moldvay, Castle Amber is a B/X D&D module based loosely off of the Averoigne series by Clark Ashton Smith, with vibes of Castlevania, the surreal writing of Borges, and the aura of mad medieval decay seen in the Dark Souls and Bloodborne series.

World of Dungeons, written by John Harper (Lady Blackbird), is a complete game created as an add-on for the Dungeon World Kickstarter. It's a game developed out of the question, "If DW is a hack of AD&D, then what would a PbtA hack of Basic D&D look like?" It's founded on the same design principles as, but with the playbooks replaced by a more flexible class system, and a greater emphasis on pure dungeon crawling. And with a little modification its a perfect fit for use with play of old D&D modules.

Best part? The whole game takes up 3 pages, and it's free. Download it here.

I'd like to see if I can figure out Discord and run the game there, but if not we can always do PbP on the forum.

Post here with what sort of class you'd like to play. I'll determine starting level depending on how many players join.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Feb 26, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I'm definitely interested in this. For stat generation, is it okay to roll on our own, or do you want rolls for stat modifiers on something like Orokos? I figure I'll go old-school and roll a stat line, then determine a class from that.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Antivehicular posted:

I'm definitely interested in this. For stat generation, is it okay to roll on our own, or do you want rolls for stat modifiers on something like Orokos? I figure I'll go old-school and roll a stat line, then determine a class from that.

You can roll your own; just like BX D&D, stats don't change your character that dramatically.

You're also free to make your own class, as per the rules, provided you vet it with me first.

Simian_Prime fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Feb 26, 2017

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
I'm interested in playing via Discord if you decide to do that (PbP just isn't my thing).

The Wizard class in World of Dungeons is rad, so I'd be on of them.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Tambo posted:

I'm interested in playing via Discord if you decide to do that (PbP just isn't my thing).

The Wizard class in World of Dungeons is rad, so I'd be on of them.

I'd *really* like to do it via Discord but I'm trying to figure out how to set up a room for RPG-hosting, IRC style, and can't make heads or tails of it (I'll be honest, I'm not the most tech-savvy guy). If anyone has a way to help, or knows if I'm missing something obvious, please let me know.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
Have you considered using Roll20? It's already set up to do RPG stuff, and has voice chat built in.

(It can also do easy sharing of visual aids and maps, which I don't know how to do with Discord).

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
I'd be interested if it's done via discord or roll20.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Mr. Tambo posted:

Have you considered using Roll20? It's already set up to do RPG stuff, and has voice chat built in.

(It can also do easy sharing of visual aids and maps, which I don't know how to do with Discord).

I'll look into Roll20 tonight! Thanks!

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

For the record, I think I'm doing a Cleric, although I'm also interested in Rogue.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

I've been tooling around with Roll20 for a it and I thinking I'm ready to run a game there. Would a Sunday afternoon (about 2pm PST) work for you guys then?

You can find me under the same handle, Simian_Prime.

If you've got a character, post 'em if you got 'em. The game is assumed to start in Glantri, the magocracy nation of the Mystara/Known World campaign setting.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it
That time and date works for me. I don't have any set preference on character, I'll probably make mine Saturday.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

Will this be text or voice? If it's voice, I can't play, unfortunately -- I have another game that's voice-based on Sundays.

Mr. Tambo
Feb 7, 2015
I have to be at work at 4pm PST Sunday. Bummer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

Looks like Sunday is bad; that's cool.

I'd prefer text-based too. Let me set it up and we'll do this starting mid-week

• Locked thread