Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It was not not not so great
Click here for mobile-friendly OP
:siren: No spoilers. No spoiler tags. No wink-wink coy spoilers (scoylers). :siren:
Games not under spoiler rule: Metal Gear (MSX), Snatcher, Metal Gear 2 (MSX2), Policenauts (just for references to)
Games under no-spoiler rule: Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, Ghost Babel, every game released after MGS1

Metal Gear Solid is the action-adventure stealth game that popularized the genre. Released for the PlayStation in 1998, Metal Gear Solid mixed cinematic presentation and unique gameplay to become a best-seller and fan favorite. The game was directed, produced and co-written by Hideo Kojima and serves as a sequel to the MSX2 versions of Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake. The title "Solid" has several meanings - the game's protagonist is Solid Snake, but it also alludes to the "solid" 3D graphics.
Metal Gear Solid: VR Missions is a separate game released one year later. VR Missions has no plot, but serves as 300+ mini-missions to train the player on the game's mechanics. In Japan, these VR missions were included in a re-release of MGS1 titled Metal Gear Solid: Integral.

The LP
Continuing from my archived thread. A few years ago, Instant Grat created a thread for experimental LPs. My submission was "Metal Gear Solid Let's Plays itself", where the game's codec call conversations played out over gameplay. Now the award-winning concept is a full-fledged LP!

There will be "Non-Codec" and "Codec" versions of each update. The Non-Codec versions don't have optional codec calls, where the Codec versions will have every single codec call. Because of the glut of information in the Codec versions, I recommend those only to people familiar with the game, or after watching the Non-Codec version.
Like the codec calls, the videos for VR missions appear when contextually relevant to the main game. All versions of each update contain links to the same VR missions (you won't miss any by skipping non-codec videos). Some people don't care about these, so I made them supplemental material.

This is a spoiler-free LP. Joining me on the LP is Blindcat. He is a poor soul who never played Metal Gear, so I'm acting as his seeing-eye dog through the franchise. Any Metal Gear games released before this one are fair game (Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2) as they are heavily referenced in MGS1.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Jan 1, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Art

Commissioned art for the Mystery VR Missions by HelloWinter

[Click for Album]
Metal Gear 1 Recap by Blindcat

Sniper Wolf and Sniper Wolf Battle by Blindcat

Blindcat locks in his prediction for the plot twist

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Feb 10, 2018

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

On the battlefield, you never think about what's next.

Mission Log
Snake must try to rescue the Metal Gear chief
engineer Dr. Hal Emmerich to find out how to stop
the nuclear launch. After going past the high
voltage electric floors in the nuclear warhead
storage building 2nd floor basement, Snake sees
a bunch of dead enemy soldiers and the stealth
camouflage shadow.

Sensing the endangered
life of Dr. Emmerich, Snake heads for the lab in
the northwest of the nuclear warhead storage
building 2nd floor basement where he is trapped.
Snake successfully rescues Otacon, but is shocked
by the fact that the Ninja he drove away is his war
buddy Gray Fox.

Discovering that Metal Gear has
been developed against his will as a nuclear missile
launching walking tank, Otacon offers to help
Snake.

Snake tries to meet up with Meryl to get the
detonation code emergency override key that she
has. According to Otacon, Meryl is disguised as an
enemy soldier.

Whoops! I updated the previous thread too slowly and it fell into archives days before I had a new update. I remembered this section of the game as a much tougher experience the first time through.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Feb 27, 2017

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

YouTube is cancelling annotations! So I won't be able to throw annotations to skip cutscenes anymore. Does anyone here use "Cutscene ends at (Time)" messages, or should I just not worry about that?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

That's right...this is no trick.
It is true power.

Mission Log
After meeting up with Meryl, Snake gets the
detonation code emergency override key from her.
However, she only had one of the three keys.

To stop the nuclear attack, one must deactivate
the detonation code or destroy Metal Gear itself.
Snake and Meryl head for the underground
maintenance base where Metal Gear is being
stored.

According to Meryl, there is no way other than
going north from the Commander's room on the
1st floor basement in the nuclear warhead
storage building.

This is an update I've been looking forward to since the beginning. One of the best experiences in the series.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
I didn't know Mantis had Japanese unique dialogue. Neat.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

A bit more on Psycho Mantis:

There's data on the game disc showing that Mantis was originally going to be able to read more games' save data than shown in the video. Two recorded lines that apparently have no corresponding game are "You like fighting games, don't you?" and "You like to play sports games!"
Every resource I found when planning the video said that one of the games that triggered dialogue was Konami's "ISS Pro Soccer", for the sports line, but it wouldn't for me. I tried "International Superstar Soccer Pro '98", "ISS Pro Evolution", "International Superstar Soccer Pro", and "ISS Deluxe", which are 4 different but very similar PS1 soccer games. None of these allow you to save before playing a full hour match, and none of them made Mantis say a drat thing. The only other Konami sports games before MGS1 were "International Track & Field
(Hyper Athlete)" and "Nagano Winter Olympics '98".

For those curious, the PC port of MGS1 handled the Controller Port 2 gimmick by having you switch to the keyboard (instead of gamepad). It also axed the memory card reading and dualshock vibration for obvious reasons.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Snake, what's wrong? I thought you were good with dogs.

Mission Log
Snake and Meryl head for the underground
maintenance base where Metal Gear is being
stored, from the Commander's room on the 1st
floor basement in the nuclear warhead storage
building. But suddenly, Meryl starts acting
weird...

To stop the terrorists' nuclear attack, one must
deactivate the detonation code or destroy Metal
Gear itself. Snake and Meryl head for the
underground maintenance base where Metal
Gear is being stored. However, FOX-HOUND
member Psycho Mantis confronts them.

After losing the battle, Mantis tells Snake that
there is no way to get to the underground
maintenance base other than going north from
the Commander's room and through the cave
to the Communications Tower.
Then Mantis dies.

Hello again! This update is shorter than I thought it'd be. Originally, this and the next update were to be one video, but it was way too long!
On the upside, there shouldn't be a huge delay between updates anymore. I looked at the oldest documents I had from this LP and they were dated December 2012... I'd like to spend less than 5 years in total on this.
As for this video, it's a pretty fun portion of the game with some heckin' cute new obstacles.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I'm glad you're still working on this LP. MGS has a perfect blend of goofy and serious for my tastes, and seeing every last codec call integrated into the gameplay is a fascinating experience.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

I've left my mark on you...I won't forget it.

Mission Log

Communications Tower -- the only way to the
underground maintenance base. FOX-HOUND
member Sniper Wolf fires at them, and Meryl is
badly wounded. It is a trap to lure out Snake.

The finale to the second act of the game! It's probably the most simple of all the boss fights in the game, a sniper duel strictly limited by the map size of the PS1.
Oh, and Blindcat put his talents to work on some stylized depictions for this thread:

E. added an Art section to the 2nd post

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jul 17, 2017

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
Just found my way back to this LP and re-5'd the thread. It really deserves more love.

It may be too early too ask, but do you feel yourself burning out, or are there other LPs in your future?

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Nice to see you continue this, I keep learning new things about the game every time.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
This game is almost 20 years old and I've only now heard about using the sniper rifle in the no gun room.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Oh, this still exists, neat! I lost track of it after the older thread died. Keep up the good work!

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

I see one of our Jackbox sessions making a cameo:

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Pizdec posted:

Just found my way back to this LP and re-5'd the thread. It really deserves more love.

It may be too early too ask, but do you feel yourself burning out, or are there other LPs in your future?

Ah thanks! (To Admiral and all as well) I wonder if it'll pick up attention now that I stopped long hiatuses.

The original plan was to LP MGS3 like this, but then I decided to do it in release order, at least 1-3, eventually. I also still have to do Jak II and 3 100% like I promised in my Jak and Daxter thread.

:laffo: Blindcat certainly has a type.

E.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Jul 20, 2017

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Quick update here! Because Youtube removed annotations, I don't have any reason to delay the story updates until the VR Mission videos are ready. So they'll pop up in between!

Here's the VR Mission for the PSG-1 sniper rifle. It's basically what you'd expect from a sniper rifle and not much else.

The fanart keeps pouring in! Here's some choice memories from Metal Gear 1 put to canvas.
[Click for Album]
Metal Gear 1 Recap by Blindcat

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Can you hear me, Solid Snake?

Mission Log
Communication Tower -- the only way to the
underground maintenance base. However, on
the way through the underground passage, FOX-
HOUND member Sniper Wolf fires at Meryl.

Acquiring the PSG1 -- the only weapon effective
to fight against Wolf, Snake heads back to the
underground maintenance base. Meryl is shot by
Sniper Wolf and is taken hostage, and Snake is
also captured.

This breaks the record for longest update in the LP, and probably will hold that title for good. 16-C is nearly an hour because there is so much to show off in this 10x10 room! There is no sneaking and no combat, but a great puzzle instead. And we're finally ready to tackle into the motivation of the villains and the actual plot of the game!

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Does anything happen if you let Johnny see the door has been blown up? Just causes an alert?

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Just went to double check, and yes, he is alerted by the open door even if you're in ketchup or under the bed. What I did find and hadn't shown was, if you are hiding under the bed, let Johnny freak out, but crawl out before he opens the door, he says "Hey!" like I'm the jerk for screwing with him.

Pizdec
Dec 10, 2012
You ARE a strong man.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Don't want this to fall into archives again! I've recorded the rest of disc 1 but have been too busy with real life to do anything with it.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Glad to hear you're still alive. I still really enjoy the format of combining all the codec calls with the gameplay.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

It's almost 1 year since the last time I posted the Mystery VR Missions video.

Let's make this an annual tradition, 3 more VR Mysteries!

Story updates are on their way, I swear. In the meantime, the Mystery VRs are my favorite and some of the best in the game.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Do you think love can bloom, even on a battlefield?

Mission Log

Taken hostage, Snake is subjected to Ocelot's
torture. If he submits, Meryl will be killed.

Campbell tells Snake, who is drained from the
torture, that Metal Gear is equipped with a new-
type of nuclear warhead. Snake waits for
an opportunity to escape the cell.

After outlasting Ocelot's torture, Snake escapes
from the cell with the help of Ninja. However,
Meryl, taken as the other hostage, cannot be
found. The terrorist's demands have been
rejected and they are preparing to launch
a new-type nuclear warhead. To stop that,
Snake must use the detonation code emergency
override key at the underground maintenance
base up north, or destroy Metal Gear itself.
Snake first collects his belongings and then
heads north for the underground maintenance
base.

I'll never submit! This is the quarter of the game where they completely forget to make a stealth sneaker.
The codec video is almost twice as long, because there is a depth of optional content and details to show, some that even I had no idea existed (32:00).
In updating the OP, I realized that we have all of the weapons and equipment in the game by the end of this update! And we've still got a third-or-so of game left.

RJWaters2 fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Jan 28, 2018

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Blindcat, ever on the cutting edge of popular content, has provided this fanart:

Understand he was too humble to post it himself.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Otacon eats tide pods

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Let's learn all about the best weapon in the game, according to Nastasha and myself. It's the stinger missile launcher!

This is the final weapon VR mission video, but there are plenty of other VR missions to come.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Here's one of the fewer-than-12 VR missions left! It's the Vs. 12 Battle

In which Snake has to kill 12 people with a given set of weapons and ammo. They're pretty fun excuses to play the game like a shooter.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Not letting this fall into archives - story update coming next week!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

So, the snake's finally come out of his hole!

Mission Log
The terrorists have started preparing to launch a
new-type of nuclear warhead. To stop that, Snake
must use the detonation code emergency override
key at the underground maintenance base up
north, or destroy Metal Gear itself.

After escaping from the cell, Snake climbs
up Communications Tower A to detour around the
glaciers blocking the way to the underground
maintenance base. However, Liquid's Hind D
destroys the walkway. To get out of this terrible
situation, Snake starts rappelling along the wall of
Communications Tower A, depending totally on his rope.

Snake gets attacked by Liquid's Hind D at
Communications Tower A, but he rappels down the
communications tower wall and acquires the
Stinger -- a weapon effective against the Hind.

Ah, so this is what a Russian gunship's doing here. Performing very well as a boss fight! Many of the game's boss fights incorporate gimmicks that were only made possible with the PS1's power, and this one does that while also being really fun to play. The previous two games had fights against the Hind D that were limited by the MSX into static and absentee, respectively, and MGS makes up for it.

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

The stealth camo always looks like some sort of device rather than something you wear. Guess you just press a button and it somehow envelops you.

Thanks for continuing this, even if it takes a while.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Here's another batch of VR Missions! The other, more interesting, half of the Puzzle missions. I encourage you to solve the puzzles on your own before seeing the solution!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Next story update coming soon - the end of disc 1, surely the halfway mark.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Do you know what that is? It's a bullet straight from my gun to your heart.

Mission Log

To stop the launch of the new-type of nuclear
warhead, Snake must use the detonation code
emergency override key at the underground
maintenance base up north, or destroy Metal Gear
itself. Snake fights Liquid's Hind D on the roof of
Communications Tower B and defeats it. After

taking the elevator in Communications Tower B
and defeating the stealth camouflage soldiers,
Snake heads for the entrance to the underground
maintenance base beyond the Snowfield north of
Communications Tower B.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Here is another short VR Mission video while I put together the next story update. This completes the VS 12 Battle missions which mistakenly teach Snake that he is an action movie star, not a fragile mortal man.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Great to see more of your videos.

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Today is the 20 year anniversary of MGS1 in North America. I wish I had prepared something for the occasion.
Oh well, I'm sure I'll remember for the 25th!

RJWaters2
Dec 16, 2011

Disc 2 begins with the next update, next week!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Nice, I look forward to it. I'm really glad you guys still make these.