Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

veni veni veni posted:

No I saw that. You'd still think common sense would dictate that she probably shouldn't be a martyr.

She was a woman of action. Decisiveness is one of her defining traits. With the approaching robots threatening them and all they worked for she knew that any delay would destroy everything. She also knew that sacrifice by committee would take too long to decide so she made the decision for them. It could also have been a motherly instinct; she wasn't a mother truly, but probably felt that way toward GAIA and Zero Dawn as a whole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, presumably everyone left was really important, but also they are all just checking and submitting code and they're all gonna die when they run out of food.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Photo mode is pretty drat fun because this game is just so gorgeous

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

What's the 2nd line in "activities" in the game progression screen? I just realized it's greyed out and Im at 80% completion.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Snak posted:

Yeah, presumably everyone left was really important, but also they are all just checking and submitting code and they're all gonna die when they run out of food.

At least some Elysium humans would have lived long enough to see GAIA shut down the robot swarm and begin to repopulate the Earth, although they were probably all dead by the time the atmosphere was made breathable again.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer
I was thinking here about how all the foreshadowing in the game points to Ted Faro actually being the one who sent the signal to gently caress things up.

First, they put the blame on him for loving up APOLLO and being an rear end in a top hat. Then there's all the talk of his own elysium being a ridiculously expensive endeavor, and also has an egyptian motif, which to me kinda sounds like he was creating a project to make one single person survive to see the ZD world, either by cryogenics (which they namedrop) or clinical immortality.

There's also the fact that he always fucks things up, which could mean that he either intentionally or unintentionally messed up hades to take GAIA out of the equation and run things himself. It would also be pretty interesting to see how he would handle a clone of Dr. Elizabet, considering all the hangups and possibly infatuation he has about her.

It wouldn't surprise me if the main villains of the sequel were Faro and Sylens.

EDIT: Almost forgot about GAIA's killswitch. That could also have been the signal, or a modified version of it.

nerdz fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 12, 2017

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

An Asimov-style short story about the world's last human riding out their days in a bunker, wanting to live just long enough to "beat" the Faro Plague, would be a cool read.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Snak posted:

Yeah, presumably everyone left was really important
Except Ted.

loving Ted.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ufarn posted:

Except Ted.

loving Ted.

He was at Thebes, though, presumably, not GAIA Prime.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Complex, statistically improbable things are by their nature more difficult to explain than simple, statistically probable things.
Grimey Drawer

Vermain posted:

An Asimov-style short story about the world's last human riding out their days in a bunker, wanting to live just long enough to "beat" the Faro Plague, would be a cool read.

There is a scifi short that's very similar to zero dawn, where humans hosed up the earth and they have a plan to help humanity survive that's very similar to zero dawn. A self sufficient orbital station AI would clone and train a crew every few thousand years and have these humans check to see if earth was inhabitable again on missions. If they failed either by dying or going back to the station and reporting the failure, they would just live the rest of their years until the next attempt.

The hook of the story is that in one of the attempts several crew members die and the rests loses all their equipment. The orbital AI sees it as a mission failure, and when it sends the next crew they find a medieval society where they're revered as gods.

For the life of me I can't remember the title though.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ayn Rand's "Objectivist Utopia"?

I do like how they play with the narrative a bit in the gameplay. World destroying robots harvest biomass as fuel. Post reborn world, humans use harvest robots for resources. Except these robots are revitalizing the planet. I'm kind of late to the Ted talk, but I do like the parallels between him and Sylens. They exist to show that people, in fact, can't or won't change. Ted does what he does because he couldn't get past his ego and Sylens said he'd do all this poo poo again because his pursuit for knowledge has no moral restrictions. They're both sociopaths. Again, it has applicability to the real world where history repeats itself. I think it's why the story and setting are so drat good and believable to me, it's has so much applicability to the real world and how people behave and react.

I always knew that the free market capitalism would be the end of everything. I KNEW IT!

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Jimbot posted:

Ayn Rand's "Objectivist Utopia"?

I do like how they play with the narrative a bit in the gameplay. World destroying robots harvest biomass as fuel. Post reborn world, humans use harvest robots for resources. Except these robots are revitalizing the planet. I'm kind of late to the Ted talk, but I do like the parallels between him and Sylens. They exist to show that people, in fact, can't or won't change. Ted does what he does because he couldn't get past his ego and Sylens said he'd do all this poo poo again because his pursuit for knowledge has no moral restrictions. They're both sociopaths. Again, it has applicability to the real world where history repeats itself. I think it's why the story and setting are so drat good and believable to me, it's has so much applicability to the real world and how people behave and react.

I always knew that the free market capitalism would be the end of everything. I KNEW IT!

I mean, the fact that Ted and Sylens are so alike and that he's searching for the signal source kinda makes me think they'll eventually become good buddies. Either that, or Syles will figure out he hosed up (yet again) and will become your ambiguous supporter in the next game as well.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
So, does anyone else think that the Odyssey might have survived its catastrophic drive failure? Trapped in the solar system, crippled, but with most of its assets intact. That's my theory as to the origin of the signal that corrupted GAIA and activated HADES. After a thousand years of limping back to Earth, Odyssey is coming home.

I mean, yeah, it straight up says in the game that Odyssey was destroyed, but ancient technology is pretty durable. GAIA overloaded the main reactor of the GAIA Prime facility, and it was still mostly there. A giant space ship (I don't remember if we saw any schematics for it) could easily have a lot of separation between the main interstellar drive and the colonization modules.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

I'm sure there's going to be endless speculation for the next 2-3 years on who sent the signal to Hades but that's my wild guess, Far Zenith wasn't actually destroyed and it's future humans. Or past humans, however you want to look at it. Which would be an insane direction to take Horizon but I'm all for it.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, was the spaceship called Far Zenith? I couldn't remember.

"Lol it blew up" was kind of an anticlimactic conclusion, considering I was half expecting a reveal that this wasn't Earth, that Earth never survived and was just barren, and that we were on another​ planet.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

IIRC Odyssey was the name of the subdivision within Zero Dawn, Far Zenith was the spaceship that blew up. Except what if it didn't blow up and contained a bunch of imperalist neo-humans who wanted to reclaim Earth from all the primitives? Brave Aloy must now unite the tribes and 'bots alike to face down this new threat!

It would be completely crazy and it would own.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
And you would have earth robits versus Zenith robots, since non-corrupt earth robots would want to defend earth from the invaders.

So, yeah, Aloy riding a thunderjaw into battle against an army of hostile robots and humans. Mass chaos.

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I mean they made a huge point about the space station having a completely untested and unprotected version of APOLLO inside it. Maybe the rogue APOLLO is the new threat and Faro was right all along! Then they can defeat it, put it under control, make the universities work and finally put all the pieces together again.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Horizon: Far Zenith would also be an appropriately word salady title befitting of the franchise.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Odyssey was a generation ship that fell apart in earth orbit a few years before the Faro plague started, and it was visible from the surface. Far Zenith was a colony ship that was supposed to use the same embryonic technology as ZD to colonize Sirius (without any crew I guess), but it failed catastrophically on the edge of the solar system.

I am interested in Faro/Pharoah as he is definitely turning up again from his Thebes with his pyramids.

I think it's possible that aliens living on Sirius could have been responsible for both Glitches, as they wanted to keep humans way the hell away and destroy Earth. I wonder if you run the numbers on the time it would take a signal to reach Sirius and come back - maybe they sent the second signal once they realized humans had survived the Faro plague. But I think that's a hell of a reach, probably whatever caused the Glitch was closer at hand (although both Faro and Sobek knew exactly what it was and never told anyone).

I knew the Spire was something weird when it didn't show up on the Vantage point overlooking it. That was a chilling discovery.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Horizon Zero bodyfat

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

Horizon Zero bodyfat

nerdz fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Mar 12, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I'd scrub the APOLLO archives a thousand times over for abs like Vashanah.

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

IIRC Odyssey was the name of the subdivision within Zero Dawn, Far Zenith was the spaceship that blew up. Except what if it didn't blow up and contained a bunch of imperalist neo-humans who wanted to reclaim Earth from all the primitives? Brave Aloy must now unite the tribes and 'bots alike to face down this new threat!

It would be completely crazy and it would own.
Think it was the other way around. Odyssey was the spaceship, while FAR ZENITH was the project code (and was apparently a completely different program).

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

nerdz posted:

I mean, the fact that Ted and Sylens are so alike and that he's searching for the signal source kinda makes me think they'll eventually become good buddies. Either that, or Syles will figure out he hosed up (yet again) and will become your ambiguous supporter in the next game as well.

Sylens probably hates Ted more than Aloy does, for destroying Apollo. Aloy's thoughts on it were basically "at least we're alive", but from Sylens' perspective knowledge is more important than life, so Ted is the devil incarnate.

Mars4523 posted:

Think it was the other way around. Odyssey was the spaceship, while FAR ZENITH was the project code (and was apparently a completely different program).

Yeah, my impression was that Far Zenith was a completely separate program from Zero Dawn. When it comes to saving humanity, you probably don't want to put all your eggs in one basket.

Retro42
Jun 27, 2011

Sylens is pretty much the mad scientist of the story. Again and again he demonstrates his complete lack or morals regarding all the knowledge he learns. The stinger at the end drives this home even more with him walking away with the HADES core.

I'd be interested in a sequel with Sylens trying to use HADES to override one of the other cores. We've seen Hephaestus and Demeter(metal flowers?) but the others aren't really as visible. Thematically it fits because HADES is designed to fight dirty and be a perfect counter to GAIA.

Rupert of Hentzau
Nov 23, 2005
Victim of gross furniture discourtesy.
Sylens being all "actually I'd do it all over again with a few more failsafes" when Aloy trots out the usual Paragon response about him having learned from his mistakes was great and summed his character up perfectly.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Hey, a few more failsafes might've been enough. I never actually hated Sylens as much as the game seemed to expect me to. Even during the stinger I was thinking "well, at least he's not gonna doom the world again, right? HADES is relatively harmless in his care."

nerdz
Oct 12, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Clarste posted:

Hey, a few more failsafes might've been enough. I never actually hated Sylens as much as the game seemed to expect me to. Even during the stinger I was thinking "well, at least he's not gonna doom the world again, right? HADES is relatively harmless in his care."

If they expected me to hate sylens maybe they shouldn't cast Lance Reddick to play him

Half of my enjoyment of this game was having Lt. Cedric Daniels scolding me as I ignored his directions.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Just crossposting from the other thread that I feel like Far Zenith made it and that's going to play into the sequel. Dr. Sobeck may have had a number of virtues but honesty was not one of them, so I believe she'd lie to the other project staff to give them more motivation.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Crossposting from the other HZD thread because I'm proud of catching this shot.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I'm not even sure that Sobek lied, or that she was the only source of that information. I thought it was like, on the news that telescopes saw a big explosion and transmissions indicated catastrophic drive failure. But maybe I'm totally wrong about that.

It did also occur to me that they wouldn't want people to just give up on Zero Dawn because they were going to die anyway and they thought that Far Zenith had made it.

But if Ted was the source of the transmission, I'll be real pissed. That would mean that Ted has been the sole actor in screwing over mankind on 3 separate occasions, and it's really boring to personify all the struggles of mankind's existence into one douchebag. It takes it from "humanity is trying to overcome these existential problems" to "Humanity is trying to defend itself from Ted Faro."

edit: ^That's awesome

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Ted is the walking videogame personification of out of touch Silicon Valley billionaire thinking everything they touch and do is gold.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I get that, but a truly epic story has more than one villain. It makes the scope of the story much smaller for Ted to be behind both calamities in the past AND be behind the one in the present.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I just don't see the Borg being a good horizon villain. Cool that you guys do though.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

FAUXTON posted:

Crossposting from the other HZD thread because I'm proud of catching this shot.

This moment was especially great for me because then I killed Redmaw in 30 seconds at most.

So, I'm hoping the Far Zenith spaceship comes back and Ted at some point in the past actually went and found it and lived on it and the bad guy group in the next game is the Cult of Ted and everyone talks like a weird bumbling nerd while justifying genocide and Aloy gets to kill them all and storm their futuristic compounds riding a Gigantosaur/Brachiosaur robot hybrid.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

I just don't see the Borg being a good horizon villain. Cool that you guys do though.

...Why do you think anyone is talking about the Borg?

We're talking about loving Dino Riders.

edit: Also, for the record, my theory has never been that Far Zenith made it to Sirius. I have been saying all along that it has been limping back from the edge of the solar system. So My theory includes humans who have been living in space for a few years, and cauldron/cradle technology, but not like, warships full of people from an ultra-advances civilization from Sirius.

Snak fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Mar 13, 2017

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Norns posted:

Who said the Sirius humans had to be the borg? They could just want to come back to Earth because Sirius sucks, but their technology is the "old ones" plus hundreds of years of advances.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Someone brought up advanced humans from the ship vs aloy and her Dino robot army.

But I mean where does that put Sylens? Pretty clear he's going to be a major player in whatever happens next.

I want that lantern...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I think any good sequel to Horizon has to up the ante, and when the bar is already at "hostile dinobots threaten neo-primitive humans," returning back to Lyin' Ted would feel like a step down. Aloy uniting both man and machine to take on futuristic humans who have returned to reclaim the Earth, however, would be somewhat unexpected and also amazing. I want to ride a Thunderjaw into battle against cyberjets and holocopters. Make it happen, Guerrilla.

• Locked thread