Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
Finished the game earlier this week and have been catching up on this thread. I just want to say: gently caress Ted Faro.

That is all. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

ShadowedFlames posted:

I got one of my co-workers to try this. Told her I’ll know when she’s near the end because I expect her to come in one day and utter those three magical words. I didn’t tell her which three words because spoilers, obviously. But it still brings a smile to my face when I see people post that.

My friend bought the complete edition for me for Christmas and he's almost near the end. I'm waiting for the three words as well. It's amazing how near universal this sentiment is. I'll echo what many others have said here and elsewhere: Ted Faro is a wonderful villain who has been dead for almost a thousand years (maybe) and we never have any direct interaction with. That is some good writing. His reasoning for destroying APOLLO is entirely bullshit on premise alone. There is no use in getting rid of knowledge past kindergarten. The loss of all art and science is devastating, but to also get rid of the knowledge about GAIA and her subordinate functions was astounding. loving Ted was out of his league and did not know how all of the functions interacted with each other. So he fucks up APOLLO and without the new humans knowing their purpose, the whole endeavor is destabilized. He screwed over humanity twice. gently caress Ted Faro.

The game as a whole is refreshing. Aloy was inspiring and hopeful and badass, of course. I beat the base game first before the DLC, so at one point, my favorite line from her is the Fist option after she defeats Helis. It was so great and dripping with anger and condescension. But then I played the Frozen Wilds and became chieftain. Ourea is trying to take charge, but Aloy steps in and lays it down. The way Ashley Burch says the line (I forget the actual words) was firm. Aloy don't take poo poo from nobody.

I also thought Sylens was going to betray Aloy at some point because that's how entertainment has been going lately, so it was nice that he didn't. At the same time, he says he'll still do it all over again with just a few more safeguards which was also great. He's not learning the lesson we expect him to learn. His curiosity is unbridled and will go to any lengths to satisfy it. He's a great foil for Aloy's more compassionate personality. Hopefully, he remains smarter than loving Ted Faro.

Another refreshing concept is that we have different philosophical flavors of AI in this game. We not only have the type that want to consume everything, we also have some that are just taking their instructions to the extreme, and a couple that like humans and want to help.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

I’m still amazed at how they make you despise a man you never meet or interact with and only see recordings of.

gently caress Ted Faro

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

While the most obvious links to a sequel would be Faro, Sylens and the Far Zenith project, there's also something I hadn't considered until recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLiFO732V3Q

Basically this guy theorizes that HADES didn't actually malfunction and go rogue, that it was just doing what it was always programmed to do, and it was GAIA that overreacted. We never really see what's going on in the world other than our own very tiny pocket of civilization, so perhaps HADES foresaw some larger catastrophic event about to happen and enacted the reverse-terraforming protocol without any outside influence. It would end up being a pretty big twist if our actions from the first game were actually in defiance of the ultimate continuance of life on earth.

That sounds cool but I don’t really buy it. Didn’t they have a limited time to repopulate the earth, like a couple hundred years at most? Too long and the conditions would be so horrible, life wouldn’t be able to start up again. Hades shouldn’t be able to activate itself almost a thousand years after humans came out unless, as the video said, Texan dude wasn’t able to perfect Hades and didn’t put a time limit on it.

• Locked thread