Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

I do like the moral dilemma of Far Zenith being secretly a success and them returning for the sequel. It hews a little too closely to the backstory of the Helghast and ISA in Killzone, but the question of who actually "inherits" the world when none of the original owners of it are around anymore offers a nice, solid question of who deserves dominion: the people that were created by the successful operation of Zero Dawn, or the ones that were born on a generation ship and just want to get back home.

Also, I'm glad this thread exists, since I posed a question as a spoiler just a few days after the game came out, and of course it was completely drowned in responses as people just started to drink things in, so I guess I'll just re-post it here.

Can we talk about how great it is to have a character like Sylens, who is motivated purely by self-interest? I can't recall a character that was as well-written and basically a dick (to which Aloy often responds), and it's basically just a case of it being a mutual benefit to tolerate him.

Lance Reddick did a great job (as usual), but it's hard to make a character that's deeply unsympathetic and yet you still at least admire in some way. The dude basically opened pandora's box and became the most knowledgeable person in the entire world until Aloy came around, and his thirst for understanding is completely relatable to me. He's an unapologetic realist, and it's rare to see that kind of curt, no-bullshit perspective in an ally. I hated him at first, but the more I think about what he did and why, it makes sense, and I could see myself doing the exact same thing if the wonders of technology were opened up to me. Great, great Deal with the Devil-type background for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

Snak posted:

I talked to everyone all the time. What the gently caress. I can probably still go do it, though.

There are a few people that will give you exposition dumps if you let them, but near as I can tell they're all completely optional. The way they do it is kinda interesting, too: the expo dump is segmented, so at multiple points if you're not interested, you can just bail on the conversation. I don't know why you'd do that if you already said you wanted to hear it, but at least you're not stuck watching someone jabber at you for five minutes without interruption.

SamBishop
Jan 10, 2003

vosk posted:

I think they referred to it as a horus class titan. Titan being the general 'manufacturer/base' and 'horus' being the specific Faro design. There were some vague references to the competition Faro had, which presumably means there were other less successful giant metal tentacle monsters.

One thing I was a little curious about is why the horus at mother's heart is there. Theoretically the cradle is supposed to be hidden. What situation would have lead to the horus making a fancy skylight in the antechamber, yet not actually destroying the facility. Did Gaia press the 'disable robutt' button right as it was about to find/destroy the cradle?

Maybe it's just there because it looks really neat.

Yeah, I was assuming the Horus models were designed as literal bunker busters, and NORAD was no doubt sending out a whole bunch of enticing data that acted as a signal flare for the Horus to start trying to break in. That's why there's a whole mess of downed tentacles that you can see up in the mountains (even on the map). GAIA was able to send out a deactivation command that stopped all of them, and that's where they lie now.

Since the swarm fed on biomass, I guess it's also possible that given all the hardened terrain that they were never able to actually sustain themselves and succumbed to the harsher conditions in the mountains, but I'd like to think that all those tentacles are meant to sort of show that Zero Dawn was a success and that GAIA was finally able to crack the code and deactivate 'em a few hundred years into the reset. Even with the multiple attempts at rebuilding the world, the Horus models probably survived the terraforming process because, well, they were designed to break into fortresses.

All I know is whatever happened to all the ones up north, that would have been terrifying seeing multiple tentacled robotic creatures spilling over the peaks. If anyone was around to witness that, I wouldn't blame 'em for being literally scared to death.

• Locked thread