Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.

Bifauxnen posted:

As for Spire… that was where Annie suspected they could find the last material they needed. But Lea said she wanted to go. Annie was nervous, and would be staying put on Myst yet again, but didn’t argue. Usually Lea always said she’d just go along with whatever Annie’s plan was, or she’d sit there looking uncomfortable whenever she disagreed. If Lea really wanted to go do this by herself, she had to be pretty drat determined.

Okay, make that two linking books. Lea chucked the Mechanical book out into the void, since it was now useless. She took the spare Selenitic book with her, and linked out to Rime. Now that she’d gathered some Spireglass crystals in different colours, she should be able to finish the last puzzle in there that Chell and Harsha couldn’t solve before.

Lea tried talking to the dodgy Atrus recording to let him know she came in peace, but it still couldn’t talk back to her. So she moved on to the crystal puzzle. With the correct crystals in place, Lea got a remote view of an Age she didn’t recognize. A secret compartment opened to give her a new linking book, to… D’ni?

It was probably best to check in now before continuing the solo adventure.

Ahhh, the part of the story where Lea discovers her sense of confidence and self-reliance :peanut: but before the part where Pod completely destroys it :sadpeanut:

This is a wonderful update, thanks so much Bif!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

goddammit I'm just too excited about getting these last updates done. The ending stuff is gonna be so much more involved it's gonna take a lot longer than the ones before it, and I don't want to go from updating about once a week to suddenly waiting like a month, but... I just can't do backlogs, I'm amazed I even managed to sit on this next update for even one single day. :cheeky:

Happy Friday! Incoming!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Previously on peraMYST – Lea's Adventures!

Lea was doing a great job exploring alone. Ever since Mechanical, she’d been feeling more confident about making decisions herself instead of following Annie’s lead. And she treasured her private one-on-one chats with Charles. At one point, she had to admit she’d felt just a little bit suspicious of this “voice friend”… he’d tried to talk her out of her plan to examine the Selentitic communications device. But she’d talked that through with him too. Their friendship felt all the more secure after openly and honestly discussing her concerns.

Back in Myst, people wanted to hear more about Chell’s trip to Everdunes. Chell explained that she’d linked into a cage, and only made it back because she told the chieftain she knew Atrus. Chell said they gave her a message that Atrus was welcome to come to Everdunes, but Chell and her companions were NOT. They only let Chell use their linking book back to Myst with that understanding that they should not show their faces around there again

Not everyone seemed to be taking the hint though, so Chell ripped a page out of the book to make sure.

Meanwhile, Corn and Daniels had finally found Zulea’s body and came back to Myst to bury her. It had been hard to notice her without making a dedicated search, because she’d been hidden among all the other bodies in Stoneship. It had clearly been done on purpose.

Annie was certain that only one person could have done it: Verus. Corn was also concerned, but he still wanted to give Verus a second chance. After all, Verus had risked his life afterwards to save Daniels.

Annie didn’t feel nearly as generous though, especially with Verus going on about how he wanted to grab the extra Myst book himself to go help out Harsha. What about Lea?! She was doing way more important stuff! Not that she wanted Verus of all people to go check up on Lea, of course…

Luckily, before things could get too tense, Harsha re-appeared. She’d found a Myst book hidden away in Haven after all, even though it was supposed to have been a prison. And a bit later, Lea made it back from Rime as well, bringing the D’ni book.

It looked like that was the last place left to go. What was there left to do?

Captain Daniels had been rescued. The big puzzle of the Dimensional Imager had been solved. (Even if it only gave them a dead-end link to Everdunes.) Haven and Spire, the Ages they’d been teased with page-by-page all along, were finally explored. It looked like all they had left to do was to go to D’ni. Were they ready for this?!

Everyone reviewed what they knew. The D’ni were some kind of crazy advanced civilization that Atrus belonged to, who knew “The Art” of writing their own Ages. Even Sa itself might be an Age that Atrus originally wrote. But they were hardly an enlightened bunch – just look at what his rear end in a top hat sons had done across the Ages they’d visited. And their grandpa Gehn was supposed to be even worse.

Atrus was a pretty aloof kind of character, who apparently couldn’t be bothered to help at all when his friends were getting killed in some war. But he sure gave a poo poo about keeping his dad imprisoned. One could only imagine just how much more of an rear end in a top hat this “Gehn” must be.

Lea hesitated about going to D’ni. She was still interested in checking out that communications device in Selenitic. It could be a very important clue. But she eventually agreed to stick with the group, since this trip to D’ni sounded like Serious Business.

Schelene didn’t want to go at all. Her descent into madness wasn’t stopping anytime soon, and the jungle called to her. She wanted to follow Harsha’s example and hunt giant beasts and get her own kickass bone weapon!

Annie wasn’t too friendly with Schelene anymore, but she still felt some small obligation to try and keep her from getting her rear end handed to her by wild animals. She tried to convince Schelene not to go, but had no success. Maybe Schelene would have better odds though, if she didn’t go alone.

Zan wasn’t too excited about going to D’ni either, and his routine of not always moving in lockstep with the crowd hadn't failed him yet. So he offered to follow Schelene to help out. The two parted ways with the others, linking into Haven.

Daniels was in no physical or mental condition to go, and he just wanted to stay by Zulea’s grave. So that left six people going to D’ni: Annie, Chell, Corn, Harsha, Lea, and Verus.

They’d do one last round of crafting before they went, upgrading their gear as much as possible using the new Carterium, and then they would go.

It was time for the endgame.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

It's truly amazing how the facial expressions are always accurate to the scene

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Caroline :kimchi:

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
honestly bif i dont know that i could top this

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

peramene posted:

honestly bif i dont know that i could top this

there's so many details I left out to keep things brief though! :ohdear:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I'm working on some of the ending gifs in between stuff for the next update, so something very notable just happened.

This is the first time I've ever had Pod's avatar head have a stick figure attached to it.

It seems weird.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

I'm working on some of the ending gifs in between stuff for the next update, so something very notable just happened.

This is the first time I've ever had Pod's avatar head have a stick figure attached to it.

It seems weird.

seems wrong

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Don't worry, his head will be on a stick before too long.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

🔥

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Previously on peraMYST: Wrapping up loose ends

Annie, Chell, Corn, Harsha, Lea, and Verus linked into D’Ni, arriving in an ominous stone building.

They heard a voice coming from a speaker, claiming to be Atrus. Whoever he was, he had at least got the messages Lea sent earlier, through the viewer in Rime. But he said he was still really tied up with something and would come down to talk with them a bit later. Oh, and before he got there…

…could everyone prove their peaceful intentions by dropping all their weapons AND armor, please.

Things were not getting off to a good start.

At least it was a good thing Lea hadn’t gone to Selenitic after all… just as the group linked to D’ni, the communications device suspiciously self-destructed. Their private AND public communication channels were all severed.

But the adrenaline injectors were still in great working condition! They gave off another mega-dose, at least as bad as the nuclear one in Mechanical. Everyone was back into raging steroid mode.

After that, everyone’s best voice friend “Charles” butted in. He said to NOT believe this other mysterious voice! That wasn’t Atrus! HE was Atrus!

There was just one door in the hall where they stood, but it wouldn’t open. So everyone was left standing around to argue about it while they waited for this other “Atrus” to show. Which one was really Atrus? Which one of them could they trust? Or was there a third way? Should they not trust either of them?

Chell and Annie didn’t trust “Charles” at all, and openly voiced their doubts. They questioned him to test his identity and brought up some things that still sounded suspicious.

But even if the other one was the real Atrus… it was very troubling that he wanted them to not only disarm, but drop their armor as well. After all the poo poo they’d gone through already thanks to his crazy family, why did he need them to make themselves vulnerable and prove their peaceful intentions?!

Verus sure didn’t like the sound of that option, especially with Annie all in his face accusing him of murdering Zulea. She was even planning to knock him out with her bola, but Chell insisted that she knock it off. With all this adrenaline pumping through them, they couldn’t count on having enough control to pull off non-lethal attacks.

Corn wondered if they could just use the Myst book and bail out of the situation entirely... in hindsight this was probably the smartest loving idea anyone had
but this didn’t seem like it would lead to a satisfying ending, so the idea was quickly forgotten.

The overall consensus was that dropping weapons could possibly be okay, but definitely not armor. And they still weren’t any closer to deciding who to side with.

“Charles” finally spoke again. He tried to explain how he could still be Atrus despite not sounding quite the same as the earlier recordings… he’d been imprisoned in a time-accelerated Age! And he didn’t have much time left! And he totally didn’t care about making anyone disarm and he could even write a Sa book for them to go back home ok just side with him and get him out now, please!

Annie and Chell were still suspicious. This poo poo was too good to be true. But Verus said “Charles” had been truly helpful with their tedious puzzle tests in Stoneship. He felt they could believe him. Harsha too, had felt some strange rapport with “Charles” all along, wanting to ally with him since the beginning. And so she felt inclined to side with him. Lea also spoke up, directly opposing her sister with a heartfelt argument about how much she trusted "Charles", thanks to all their time talking together.

For one brief moment, Annie also mumbled something heartfelt - about how her and Corn were overcoming Sa tradition by not fighting each other, and how everyone could all drop their weapons to ##win together. Corn said he trusted his rival Annie more than anyone else there, and would follow her lead.

But Lea pleaded with Annie to trust her on this one. Verus still agreed that "Charles" seemed to have only helpful intentions. And Harsha also pointed out how consistent his story and outlook had been.

More than anything though, with all that adrenaline pumped into them and the tensions mounting… it felt very important that whatever they decided turned out to be unanimous.

Chell still didn’t quite buy it, but she couldn’t stand for leaving herself defenceless like the other Atrus wanted. Out of the question. If the others could trust “Charles”, she’d stand with them and take her chances.

Corn was moved by the others' arguments, and thought it was better to trust in someone who'd been at their side all along. But most of all he wanted to help keep the peace, whatever they chose. He’d defend everyone till the end, then go along with the group's decision.

Annie wavered too, as the others argued passionately for wanting to trust “Charles”. It was rather hard to argue for a power of friendship ending if it required stomping all over someone else’s friendship.

She wondered if they could just choose neither of them, going the third option instead… but tried making one last plea. If “Charles” was a good friend like the others said, couldn’t he talk to her? She asked him some more personal questions to try and hear him out.

...but he didn’t answer. And time was running out.

Certainly not enough time to make any argument that could sway Lea AND Harsha AND Verus, and also convince Chell to drop her weapon…

They all stood there watching each other. No one moved to attack. If nothing else, they would be united in failure. At last, they unanimously decided to defy this new “Atrus”, and ##win with Podima.

Bifauxnen fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 21, 2017

Podima
Nov 4, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn these have been getting so good as time went on.

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
stupid newbie atrus

oh my god

I'm loving dying

bif this is amazing

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
And then we all won and everything was fine forever!

peramene
Oct 13, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
:sadpeanut:

Max
Nov 30, 2002

As far as I'm concerned, I won.

Murmur Twin
Feb 11, 2003

An ever-honest pacifist with no mind for tricks.
Man re-experiencing all of this through the comic has been great, thanks so much Bif :)

In the real world I'm a strong believer of giving people the benefit of the doubt and trusting them until proven wrong. In the Myst world that's, uhh...

:smith:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Murmur Twin posted:

Man re-experiencing all of this through the comic has been great, thanks so much Bif :)

always glad to hear people are enjoying it :3: I'm really plugging away at the ending now cause I'm so eager to unveil the stuff that's already done. Still got a ways to go yet, though... hopefully I can get in another good chunk of time on the weekend and give a status report.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anyway, this latest gif I was trying to work on has me pretty burnt out so I did something else instead: if you're looking through the older comics, you can now click on some of the "to be continued" pics to jump right to the next update. (unless it's only a few posts away anyway, in which case I didn't bother)

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Bifauxnen posted:

Still got a ways to go yet, though... hopefully I can get in another good chunk of time on the weekend and give a status report.

I'm thinking by next weekend, I probably won't have it completely done, but... very close.

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
You can do it, Bif.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Hmmmm

I just remembered I'm gonna be all busy with a wedding on the weekend out in NSW and I'm trying really hard to get things finished up.

Would you all do me a favor and post a bit to get us to a new page?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

Hmmmm

I just remembered I'm gonna be all busy with a wedding on the weekend out in NSW and I'm trying really hard to get things finished up.

Would you all do me a favor and post a bit to get us to a new page?

no.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

man you couldn't even be bothered to copy the dril tweet!

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Bifauxnen posted:

man you couldn't even be bothered to copy the dril tweet!

You have a case of mistaken identity

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
beep boop

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Also we already passed page 69 so who even cares what page we're on now.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

oh nobody cares about the page number, it's more that there's going to be a bunch of big gifs

When we get there, y'all should probably just wait a minute or two for everything to load first, before you scroll down :sweatdrop:

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
Yes yes, okay bif.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

don't some of you post in the Let's Play subforum c'mon work with me here

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

I had some comb honey recently, i think next year i'll buy pieces of honeycomb, i think thats a thing ill do, illhjust be one of my things you know, the honeycomb guy, its good honey, natures corn syrup

SHALASHASKA HAWKE
Nov 10, 2016

No child soldier in poverty by 1990
https://twitter.com/dril/status/759706644565651457

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

MMM Whatchya Say posted:

I had some comb honey recently, i think next year i'll buy pieces of honeycomb, i think thats a thing ill do, illhjust be one of my things you know, the honeycomb guy, its good honey, natures corn syrup

actual honeycomb = good
Australian "honeycomb" which is just candy with a bubbly kind of texture = meh

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

actual honeycomb = good
Australian "honeycomb" which is just candy with a bubbly kind of texture = meh

strnage that youve decided to take a candy and name it after one of the only candies to just natural exist out there in anture, like you can just pull up an honest to godd candy snack froa tree, shake off the bees and such but instead youve decided to mislabel crunchie bars in an effort to make it harder to communicate with other natures. strnage,

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I know right, it's not even one of my favorite candies either

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

now Cherry Ripes, those are good

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

but ok you guys can stop now

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Remember, wait a couple minutes for everything to load ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Here goes nothin :ohdear:

• Locked thread