Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I missed the deadline because I got caught up into a book, and completely forgot about it. :( Sorry everyone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The book I got caught up in was Embassytown by China Mieville if anyone is wondering. It was really good, I would recommend reading it (but only after this game for Ecco's sake (sorry Ecco)).

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Your Personal Muse posted:

Ok, then explain to me how MMT's actions around the lynch are scummy if Dick is town? It seems, and I may be wrong so please tell me if I am, that the assumption is that she was protecting a scum buddy

No lynching wastes a day and gives town no information, and keeps a player of uncertain alignment alive.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

got some chores tonight posted:

have you read perdido street station

Yep, all the other Bas-Lag books and City&City too. Great books, Scar may have been my favorite but Embassytown comes close.

I liked Goblin Emperor a lot. It was relaxing to read a fantasy book from the perspective of a guy who just wants to get along with everyone.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

There are situations where it's better for the town to no lynch but almost all of them come late in the game, such as when you have an even-number player count on lylo and may gain more information from the night that offsets whoever dies. But there aren't many of those situations and in any case that shouldn't happen on day 1.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

i basically only like fantasy novels about court intrigue who wants to recommend some other stuff for me to read

My favorite for this stuff is The Prince Of Nothing series by R. Scott Bakker, that starts with The Darkness That Comes Before. They are very grim books and if you have strong opinions about rape in fantasy novels you may want to avoid, but imo the books are really well-written and a lot of the criticism people have about them is overblown.

They're somewhat modeled off Dune which if you haven't read, uhh go read it! Still holds up very well.

The Red Rising trilogy has a good amount of court intrigue in it, but also a lot of high-octane action. The first book is like a bloodier Hunger Games.

Finally I really enjoyed Traitor Baru Cormorant a lot, and it's even written by a guy on SA. About an accountant who tries to manage an empire with financial trickery.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

how come no one is coming in today talking about lynching one of the two front runners from last night

Probably because they both were compromise candidates settled upon at the very end of the day.

Which speaking of I should probably go back and look over...

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Meh. It's hard to draw any conclusions from that EOD.

I think it's bad play to let a no lynch happen when you could have prevented it, even for a softclaim. I'm not sure that's outright scummy (would scum be so conspicuous about making a no lynch happen?) and the impression I got from reading is that Murmur Twin may have thought there was more time before the deadline than there actually was.

Also pretty much every vote made on that last day on stickup or Dick Bastardly was a me-too of someone else's vote.

I think we've gotta go back to the ground floor of building and talking about cases on people!!

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

##vote Retro Futurist

Not even a jokevote in his post history.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Had not seen that vote from Opop!!

Still think he needs to post more. Currently the lurkiest player.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I don't have any particularly strong suspicions at the moment. So I'll do a reread and see what I dredge up.

I don't like advocating for lurker votes so early, but at the same time I don't want to move my vote off Opop if he's not gonna bother to post at all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Rarity posted:

She would if she was scum and DB wasn't on the scum team.

Unless you know MT's not on the scum team.

Nobody would have blamed Murmur Twin for hammering a townie to prevent a no lynch.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Over half the thread has not voted once today, a bad sign with deadline approaching. This makes it really difficult to see where people stand, or talk about suspicions, or anything.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I tend to be more careful with my votes in an Ecco game so I don't need to worry about remembering to unvote and getting screwed at a bad moment, not really sure what about it makes me scum though.

Also I have chosen to force a no-kill as town, but only if I were completely convinced the person was town. I don't see how MMT could be convinced on D1 and with Dick's not so great post history

Like is the logic everyone has for keeping their vote close "I don't want to accidentally forget to unvote at a critical moment?" Really?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

The best point I have seen against Murmur Twin was dogmother pointing out that Murmur Twin arrived at some unique conclusions about day 1, such as that seven people voting Dick Bastardly to make a day 1 vote happen must be a scum engineered bandwagon. But I'm sort of surprised at all the soft support that this is getting, and it seems like people are gearing up for a Murmur Twin vote rather than exploring alternatives.

Here's an example. Rarity supports the idea that scum Murmur Twin may want to promote a no lynch for the sake of confusion, but also the idea that scum may have been behind the Dick Bastardly push, but also that maybe Dick Bastardly is scum posting unnaturally. But also that Murmur Twin may have known he was town. These opinions are all over the place and the impression I get is that Rarity is basically waiting to see where public opinion falls on this issue.

##unvote ##vote Rarity

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

That's pretty much what I was getting at. Either she has knowledge of his alignment, or she forced a D1 no lynch on a hunch. Either way I'm good with an MMT vote

Another example of soft support. If you're good with the case then why not vote? What are you waiting for???

##unvote ##vote Opop

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

i think i am ultimately conflicted and adrift in the sea of this game b/c i dont particularly like either mmt or asiinas posting but i think its pretty hard for both of them to be scum so iunno

Why is this an either/or situation? There are fourteen living players in the game, why reduce your scum possibilities to just two, especially when you seem to think they both can't be scum?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

Re: Rarity, this was a joke, but not really:

on day 2, after keane is already dead, she makes a point to go back and "continue" her reread from day 1, throwing suspicion on the NK target.

which is way overcommitting to the "guys I read the thread entirely linearly" bit

Yeah I agree, it looks fake as hell. The only way this could happen to a townie is if you completely missed the thread closing and basically the entire night too, and somehow didn't know it was day 2 already.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Say what you will about Murmur Twin but at least she's casing and voting people, not just sitting around waiting to see where the cards fall.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Pinterest Mom posted:

But the post she was quoting references being near deadline, so Rarity wants to have us believe that she opened the thread, didn't even check to see if she died during the night, and started replying to stuff from day 1.

##unvote ##vote Rarity

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Like that's a pretty good case. I know the first thing I did when the thread opened was check to see if I was dead.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Dick Bastardly posted:

This, and the fact that she'd be killing a town during the day and presumably during the night, there's no way a scum MMT would not hammer IMO.

I'm not going to say there's NO WAY, it could go either way really. But I do think the idea Murmur Twin would be excessively worried about hammering a townie doesn't make much sense.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

That's Rarity at -2.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

I just said I'm conservative with my vote in an ecco game, how is that scummy? Like even if this weren't an ecco game or whatever, how does any of this make you think I'm scum?

Because it's a dumb excuse to basically not engage in the game at all.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Opop I really shouldn't have to explain to you why not voting in a Mafia game is scummy. There are about five separate reasons for why it is scummy.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kash why do you think the Rarity case is bad. I agree with you on Opop but I'm not about to switch off a good case.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I can sorta buy that a townie may have missed that Keane specifically had died. What I can't buy is that a townie saw the thread closed with a bunch of unread posts and thought, "Nah, I'll wait until the thread opens to see the flip because I want to respond to events as I see them."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Retro Futurist posted:

That's just stupid though. One can engage with the thread without voting, and they can vote without engaging with the thread.

I mean if that's your concern then why not look at MMT who deliberately didn't vote in a way actually detrimental to the town

Yes, but someone who isn't voting sure looks a lot less engaged than someone who is. And you don't look particularly engaged in any case.

If you think Murmur Twin is scum then why aren't you voting her??? Frankly it looks like you are too afraid to make any kind of splash in this game. It's scummy my dude.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Kashuno posted:

Combine that with her "eh shoulda replaced" and I'm pretty okay with leaving her for the moment

On the other hand, I'm perfectly fine voting people out who can't even be bothered to defend themselves or type "I was busy."

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

Maybe Rarity was just saying I made a good point like "hey good job noticing this" :shrug: the basis of this case and the number of people who agree with it seems ridiculous to me.

I would never assume scum would be like "hey let me commit to this catching up gimmick so hard I pretend not to know the nk and scum read a dead guy"

"Good job thinking this dead guy looks scummy" is sort of a strange point to be making, huh?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

We'll see! Frankly I think Rarity has been scummy enough where even if you take out "pretended not to know who died" out of the equation I would still be happy voting for her.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

dogmother1776 posted:

I would prefer mmt > rarity I think mmt has a better chance of being scum agenda

Why aren't you voting Murmur Twin, or for that matter, anyone else right now?

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Do you guys have post restrictions preventing you from voting??? It would be good to know for later days.

Seriously I don't know how you can be advocating for an alternative lynch you aren't even voting for.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

:zombie:

If I have one regret, it's that... my violin was broken. Go town!

:zombie:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Thanks for running the game Ecco! This game may be my highest percent game of "scum read -> scum player" in a long while, I don't think I made a wrong call on anyone although I do somewhat regret backing off on YPM.

• Locked thread