Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RoboJoe
Dec 30, 2006

We cleanse.
You are the filth.

In RPG games for the longest time I've usually either been playing a Wizard or a Warrior because I find blasting things with magic or slamming a giant axe or sword & shield into someone's face far more enjoyable in the majority of games than playing a stealthy character dancing around and stabbing a guy a bit, they always felt the middle ground of not really attaining much to me and I realise that's probably personal preference which is why I'm making this thread.

I'm looking for suggestions of games where the Rogue or Assassin archetype is good and fun to play particularly if they feel really visceral and strong, so I know I'm really stabbing a guy in the kidneys instead of just poking him in the back. Ideally I'd like some kind of good stealth/invisibility (as an ability not just hiding around corners or in bushes and whatnot Metal Gear style) where I can ambush things and fight guys and then stealth out to fight some more.

This can be any game you think of, whether it's on console or PC, an MMO or streamlined singleplayer experience, I'm just really in the mood lately to play some kind of character like this. It's entirely possible I've already played the game and ignored the class, so I'm not only for new games, anything within the past 5-10 years would be fine.

I guess for an example of what I want and this might actually sound stupid, and I don't know how it is these days, but when I played World of Warcraft many years back, I found the Rogue in that very enjoyable, they had a good feel for me at least for this sort of thing, you could stealth and had a bunch of abilities, and attacks from stealth, backstabbing and stun abilities, etc. It's probably the one game in my lifetime of gaming where I really enjoyed playing a stealth class and they just felt the sort of thing I always wanted from the idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Dishonored/Dishonored 2.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost
Any of the Deus Ex games except for Invisible War.

xutech
Mar 4, 2011

EIIST

I had a lot of fun with Styx: Master of shadows - You're a stealthy goblin who infiltrates massive complexes. Very good stealth, and while you can murder people and hide their bodies, guards are tough in stand up fight.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Spiderweb games' Geneforge series does a good job of having an actually different experience playing stealth / smart / fighty. The main thing is does different from the norm is it still gives you experience points for avoiding fights.

But that doesn't seem to be what you're asking for, you're asking for stealth class just being a different kind of fighting class? Most games in the Roguelike genre do a reasonable job of being somewhat balanced, or at least playable as stealth classes. And often have two or three different classes like that. Maybe try Dungeon Crawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
Honestly as an individual class experiencing the same content, MMOs are going to be your best bet for different, meaningful gameplay as a rogue class. Unfortunately, most of the games I'd recommend in that fashion don't come into their own as a rogue class without leveling a fair bit or dipping your toes into PvP of some flavor.

GW2 has a high skill cap rogue class with multiple play styles, but I find it rather dull in PvE and it needs to be max level with a small amount of extra effort put in to really shine in PvP or World vs World. A couple of its other classes can also actually make use of stealth mechanics, and have some good chunk and heft to their combat, but stealth is mostly an added benefit for them.

World of Warcraft's Rogue remains excellent at ganking people in PvP and most of the PvE builds don't do anything with stealth and haven't for years.

Age of Conan is a dead (in terms of new content and player count, it's still up for now) MMO that has some really neat stealth gameplay but the minute to minute combat isn't great and the PvP has been dead for years. If nothing else it fits your visceral ask fairly well because the rogue classes in that can insta-kill most mook mobs.

E: I should note that when I talk about this, rogues as a class are a better thing in MMOs, but as an experience of a stealthy, murderous rear end in a top hat, something like Deus Ex or Dishonored are better, without being specifically built around that kind of thing as a core set of mechanics and gameplay. You just are that in those games, where in an MMO your class is a specific thing.

Orv fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Mar 27, 2017

• Locked thread