Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Launch Game?
Dreamcast - Soulcalibur
DS - Super Mario 64 DS
Game Boy - Tetris
Game Boy Advance – Castlevania: Circle of the Moon
GameCube - Star Wars Rogue Squadron II: Rogue Leader
NES - Super Mario Bros.
Nintendo 64 - Super Mario 64
PlayStation - Ridge Racer
PlayStation 3 - Resistance: Fall of Man
Saturn - Panzer Dragoon
SNES - F-Zero
SNES - SimCity
SNES - Super Mario World
Switch – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
TurboGrafx-16 - Alien Crush
TurboGrafx-16 - R-Type
Vita – Uncharted: Golden Abyss
Wii – The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Wii – Wii Sports
Xbox: Halo: Combat Evolved
Kerbal Space Program
View Results

• Locked thread
testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

There's been a lot of discussion lately about Breath of the Wild being the best launch game of all time and it got me wondering what other great games arrived at system launches. I went through Wikipedia's list of launch titles and culled a list of games that were all well received critically and were important to gaming at the time or have continued to be important over time.

It seems to me that the prevailing notion nowadays is that launch games are usually terrible garbage rushed out to take advantage of early adopters. I was actually really surprised by the shear number of launch titles that were legitimately great, important games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's Super Mario World, OP.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Yeah, it's Super Mario World.

I got that cartridge the day I got my SNES and I still play it frequently, and have for the last 25 years.

Shart Carbuncle
Aug 4, 2004

Star Trek:
The Motion Picture
Hard to argue with Super Mario World, but on the portable front, Wipeout Pure was kind of awesome as a PSP launch game.

garfield hentai
Feb 29, 2004
Mario World was great but it was just basically Mario 3 with new mechanics and better graphics. The N64 needed something to really showcase how appreciably different 3d games were and Mario 64 did a fantastic job.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Hard decision between Mario World and Super Mario 64. But Super Mario 64 captivated my young mind to the point where I watched that Nintendo64 vhs over and over out of excitement. It was the reason that I wanted a Nintendo 64 even though there wasn't poo poo else on the Nintendo 64 at launch here in the US other than Pilotwings.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Super Mario World and Super Mario 64 both solid choices.

In the end I give to Super Mario 64 because of the innovation factor. It successfully transitioned the series to 3D environments at a time when 3D was new and there were many, many bad 3D games coming out. In that turbulent era of gaming many franchises were lost or never recovered from botched 3D transition experiments. Super Mario 64 succeeded brilliantly where many failed and is STILL a fun game to play in tyool 2017, which is an amazing statement for a 3D platformer from the time period.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I wasn't alive when the SNES came out! :shobon:

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
Whole lotta votes not for Tetris.

Whole lotta votes for the wrong game/s.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I do have to give a special shout out to Soul Calibur. Very solid game that actually looked better than the arcade version, with quite a bit of features for a fighting game.

I would spend hours in the training mode just fighting against the CPU.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Objectively it's probably SM64, SMW or Wii Sports, but I had to vote for Rogue Leader anyway because that game loving ruled.

Axetrain
Sep 14, 2007

Tossup between S. Mario World and Mario 64, those are the titles I immediately thought of after reading the title before seeing the choices though. I think Mario 64 gets it though because it was more of a bold step from what came before.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

blackguy32 posted:

I do have to give a special shout out to Soul Calibur. Very solid game that actually looked better than the arcade version, with quite a bit of features for a fighting game.

I would spend hours in the training mode just fighting against the CPU.

This but for Sophitia's throws.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

C. Everett Koop posted:

This is surprising as is the zero votes for Super Mario Bros. on NES and Halo on Xbox

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

probably kerbal space program, OP

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
I got A Link to the Past with my SNES, which I preferred to Super Mario World (which is fantastic)... I think I'd say Mario 64 though; I still remember it blowing my mind when I first saw it in Toys R Us.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
It is definitely one of those games!! :D

Themage
Jul 21, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
what, no luigi's mansion op? smdh

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Themage posted:

what, no luigi's mansion op? smdh

I'd actually considered including it until I took a look at its critical reception. Not stellar.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

mods plz release the names of those who vote for SM64DS.

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Voted Saikyou Habu Shogi

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Chomp8645 posted:

In the end I give to Super Mario 64 because of the innovation factor. It successfully transitioned the series to 3D environments at a time when 3D was new and there were many, many bad 3D games coming out. In that turbulent era of gaming many franchises were lost or never recovered from botched 3D transition experiments. Super Mario 64 succeeded brilliantly where many failed and is STILL a fun game to play in tyool 2017, which is an amazing statement for a 3D platformer from the time period.

You took the words right out of my mouth with this post, thank you. And you're so right about other 3D games getting it so wrong, some of them are so awful so that Nintendo put out SM64 on a brand new console and it play so well is just an incredible achievement.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

C. Everett Koop posted:

Though this is the game I still crack out the original Gameboy to play relatively often.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Discount Viscount posted:

Voted Saikyou Habu Shogi

:japan:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

zenintrude posted:

I'd actually considered including it until I took a look at its critical reception. Not stellar.

It really was fitting for them to include a button that you can press to desperately call out for Mario

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
When you say "best" are you talking about historical context, or whether it's still good now? Because by all accounts, Mario World plays as well today as it did at launch, and I don't know whether the same can be said of 64.

OFC I've never played either of them lol.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Mordja posted:

When you say "best" are you talking about historical context, or whether it's still good now?

Either or both are reasonable reasons for making your personal decision. If, for example, Soulcalubur on Dreamcast blew you away in 1999 with its better than arcade-perfect visuals and gameplay and no other game has had that impact on you, then you may want to vote for it. On the other hand, if you've been playing Alien Crush since you bought it with your TG16 on launch day, August 29, 1989, and you still play it to this day... well, maybe you should vote for that. Or you could be a selfless academic and vote for Tetris or Super Mario Bros.

I basically wanted to present a bunch of launch games that are also excellent games, regardless of release date, and see what goons thought about their status as best.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

zenintrude posted:

Either or both are reasonable reasons for making your personal decision. If, for example, Soulcalubur on Dreamcast blew you away in 1999 with its better than arcade-perfect visuals and gameplay and no other game has had that impact on you, then you may want to vote for it. On the other hand, if you've been playing Alien Crush since you bought it with your TG16 on launch day, August 29, 1989, and you still play it to this day... well, maybe you should vote for that. Or you could be a selfless academic and vote for Tetris or Super Mario Bros.

I basically wanted to present a bunch of launch games that are also excellent games, regardless of release date, and see what goons thought about their status as best.

Cool, got it. Well, upon scanning the list, I don't think I've played more than a few minutes of any of those games (PCgaeming4lyfe!!!) so I'll be abstaining from this vote.

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Twilight princess was not a wii u launch title. Therefore this poll is broken and void.

TheDead1
Aug 12, 2007

Plebian Parasite posted:

mods plz release the names of those who vote for SM64DS.

Its me im the idiot who hates his hands

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Ryoga posted:

Twilight princess was not a wii u launch title. Therefore this poll is broken and void.

I think a mod edited that... I assure you it was Wii originally :(

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Twilight Princess and Breath of the Wild are kind of edge-case examples though, since both games were mainly developed for previous Nintendo consoles originally.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
Super Mario World is the best game, so clearly it's the best launch title.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The 32X launched with Doom and The Xbox 1 launched with Tony Hawk 2

Tough choice

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Harlock posted:

The 32X launched with Doom and The Xbox 1 launched with Tony Hawk 2

Tough choice

Yeah, but the 32X Doom sounds like poo poo, so that makes the choice a bit easier.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2oyweqZ7WM

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer
I had a hard time between Super Mario Bros and Super Mario 64. Perhaps it's because I was old enough to realize the gravity at the time, but I had to go with Super Mario 64. It blew the doors open for 3D gaming in general. For 2 years prior the Playstation and Saturn had been slugging it out and getting things "almost-right" with regards to how to handle 3D.

Then Super Mario 64 was unleashed and it hit every note correctly. It was accessible within the capabilities of gamers as a whole at the time, and its levels felt so ingeniously designed, with their multipurpose nature for each star. While everyone kinda cried foul about the step back with limited power-ups and a lack of riding Yoshi, that was made up for by the incredibly athletic moveset that Mario was given.

Super Mario World was merely the apex (at the time) of 2D Mario, so that keeps it out of the very top of consideration. Super Mario 64 not only advanced the capabilities of Nintendo, and the character of Mario, but gaming as a whole. That game alone birthed our ability to have dexterity with an analogue stick.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Me and my sister had a 2600 and an NES, but getting a SNES for Christmas in 1991 with SMW and Final Fantasy is what made me a Gamer

I wore both those games the gently caress out and still replay them once a year or so today

Correnth
Aug 29, 2000

Cold hard science trumps ponies.

Fun Shoe
Voted Wii Sports.

There are a lot better 'games' on the list and titles that I think are a lot more fun, but Nintendo wanted to "grow the market" with the Wii and Wii Sports did that in a way no other game up there did. You can make a lot of arguments about whether or not the long-term impact of the Wii on non-gamer types was successful, but Wii Sports had grandpas and aunts who never would have touched another gamepad in their life hanging out in the living room and flailing around like morons just like the rest of us.

Yoshi Jjang
Oct 5, 2011

renard renard renarnd renrard

renard

At first I wanted to vote for Super Mario 64, but then I remembered that Super Mario World first brought us :yoshi:, so...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Clearly it's Kerbal Sp...

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

probably kerbal space program, OP

:mad:

Actual answer: Mario 64.

• Locked thread