Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?
Problem description: My trusty late 2009 iMac locked up hard a couple of days ago while running Kodi (had to power cycle it) and will now only boot to safe mode. When booting normally it hangs when the progress bar is app. halfway through and then just sits there. Booting to safe mode works fine, there are no obvious errors in the logs or when booting in verbose mode (which also ends up hanging).

Attempted fixes: Tried resetting PRAM and SMC. Tried restoring several different time machine backups, and re-installing mac os. I've now erased the hard drive and have installed a clean Mac OS 10.12.4, but it still hangs under normal boot.

I've also tried cycling through each of the 4 RAM modules I have installed but that changed nothing.

Recent changes: None

Operating system: Mac OS Sierra 10.12.4

System specs: Apple iMac 27" late 2009. i5 2.66GHz, 1TB HD, 4850GPU, 12GB RAM. Completely stock except for an additional 8GB RAM installed a couple of years ago. Normally there are a couple of various USB devices attached (hard drive, midi device, Line6 device). but all of the restores/re-installs etc. has been done with nothing except power, keyboard and ethernet attached.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes

cdc fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 23, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Have you checked the health of the HDD? If memory serves Disk Utility should at least give SMART info for it, but I'd really suggest checking it with Crystal Disk Info (get the portable version if you want the program to be anime-free).

cdc
May 28, 2007

To you, Baldrick, the Renaissance was just something that happened to other people, wasn't it?

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Have you checked the health of the HDD? If memory serves Disk Utility should at least give SMART info for it, but I'd really suggest checking it with Crystal Disk Info (get the portable version if you want the program to be anime-free).

Thanks for the reply.

I can't find SMART info in Disk Utility, but the "First Aid" thing runs without errors, and in system report under storage the SMART status is verified.

Crystal Disk Info seems to be Windows only, but I found something called Drivedx which does find something:

I might have a spare SATA drive somewhere I could try to put in.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
It sounds like GPU failure.

When you boot in verbose mode, whats the last thing on the screen before the machine locks up?

cdc
May 28, 2007

The Pell posted:

It sounds like GPU failure.

When you boot in verbose mode, whats the last thing on the screen before the machine locks up?

This is just before it switches to the white boot screen and hangs.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008
Thats video card failure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cdc
May 28, 2007

The Pell posted:

Thats video card failure.

I think you might be right, which also means that the old girl will be put down. I dont think I want to spend any real money fixing it, but it had a good almost 8 year run.

Just out of curiosity, is there anything specific in the boot output that talks about the video card?

• Locked thread