Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
(I tried searching but couldn't find anything)

I just upgraded my ps4 from 500gb to 2TB and was wondering if I could use the 500gb drive to replace my PS3's old 80gb hard drive. I don't want to even take the risk of opening it up if it's not possible but I figured - Why waste a 500gb harddrive?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LudaChris
Apr 26, 2010
It works, just follow the procedure to back up your PS3 data before making the swap.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I just upgraded my ps4 from 500gb to 2TB and was wondering if I could use the 500gb drive to replace my PS3's old 80gb hard drive. I don't want to even take the risk of opening it up if it's not possible but I figured - Why waste a 500gb harddrive?

Yes, but be warned the PS3's hard drive caddy screws are notoriously lovely (they were hugely overtightened at the factory on the first series of models) and there's a good chance you'd probably strip them. You're gonna want a #1 phillips head.

Party Plane Jones fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 24, 2017

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Party Plane Jones posted:

Yes, but be warned the PS3's hard drive caddy screws are notoriously lovely (they were hugely overtightened at the factory on the first series of models) and there's a good chance you'd probably strip them. You're gonna want a #1 phillips head.

Thanks for the warning, I am notorious for stripping screws and breaking things using too much force - I might look weak but apparently I am stronger than I look by how many things I have manhandled and snapped, haha.

Edit: honestly I'd rather things be over tightened than loose and then causing problems by loose things.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Apr 25, 2017

Agent Escalus
Oct 5, 2002

"I couldn't stop saying aloud how miscast Jim Carrey was!"
Yep, did this last year when upgrading to a 1TB dive, so I put the 500 GB in the PS3 because 320 wasn't enough. (Hell, 500 might not be, either...)

Just get ready for it to take FOREVER for the PS3 to do its thing if you're doing a full transfer. Those 320 gigs took more than 24 hours to copy over from the external HD to the 500 GB drive. At 80 GB if you have Plus I'd recommend just making sure all your saves are uploaded and anything unique gets transferred to an external, and then just re-download/install the old stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Oh hey, sounds like you're one of the ones with the last model that could play PS2 games like me.

It's very doable because it's exactly what I did with my PS4's old harddrive. Just make sure you back it up and follow the directions for reinstalling the OS using a USB drive. Most memory sticks are large enough that you should be able to store all your old savedata on it as well.

• Locked thread