Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time is a game that really needs no introduction. But I'm gonna do it anyway. Ocarina of Time was the fifth game in the Zelda franchise, and took the series into the 3D age. The game was released in November of 1998 to critical acclaim; getting near-perfect to flat-out perfect scores by many critics, and is currently the best-selling Zelda game ever released with over seven million copies sold. Not only that, but to this day many fans still consider it the best Zelda game, with fewer (but still many) believing it to be the best video game ever. I've grown up with this game, though I don't think I'd call it the best game ever, but I'm still excited to replay it.

Really? Ocarina of Time?

Yes, I know. Everyone and their grandma has done an LP of Ocarina of Time at some point, but really I'm just continuing my trek through the official timeline, and Ocarina of Time is next on the list. It'll be nice to revisit the game as I haven't played the original version for a number of years now, and am hoping for a nostalgic experience.

About the LP:

Unlike my last LP, this won't be a live one. I'll record the gameplay and the recording separately. And with this LP, I'll be recording on my somehow-still-functioning Nintendo 64. No ports, no remakes, no Virtual Console, no emulator. Just me and my dusty old console that's remained working all these years. I plan on doing a number of sidequests such as the trading sequence, the 100 Gold Skulltulas (I'll explain the method I'll go about it in the LP proper), and will do my best to get all the Heart Pieces. There aren't any that require a super-difficult minigame that I recall. I most likely won't be utilizing any glitches for the LP, sequence breaking or otherwise. There just aren't any useful ones I know off the top of my head that I can consistently do correctly. And I should note I won't be reading the dialogue out loud, so no need to worry if that bothers you. At the moment, I have no gameplay recorded, as I want to allow the thread to pick what Link's name is this time around before I begin.

As a warning, since it came up in the Sandcastle thread, I WILL be talking during cutscenes, just so people know if that kind of thing bothers them.

Schedule:

No particular schedule in mind, really. No specific days of the week for uploading. I will say I will mainly be uploading and recording during the weekdays, and very rarely on the weekends.

Spoilers?:

Considering the age and how well-known the game is, any and all spoilers are fine.

THE ADVENTURE THROUGH TIME:

CHILD NAVI:
Part 1 - The Deku Tree's Plight
Part 2 - The Kokiri's Emerald
Part 3 - Princess Zelda
Part 4 - Kakariko Village
Part 5 - Goron City
Part 6 - Dodongo's Cavern
Part 7 - Zora's Domain
Part 8 - Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
Part 9 - Collectathon I

ADULT NAVI (MOSTLY):

Part 10 - The Master Sword
Part 11 - The Forest Temple
Part 12 - Happy Mask Sidequest
Part 13 - Bottom of the Well
Part 14 - Epona and Trading
Part 15 - Fire Temple I
Part 16 - Fire Temple II
Part 17 - Ice Cavern
Part 18 - The Water Temple
Part 19 - Collectathon II
Part 20 - Biggoron's Sword
Part 21 - The Shadow Temple
Part 22 - Gerudo's Fortress
Part 23 - The Spirit Temple (Child)
Part 24 - The Spirit Temple (Adult)
Part 25 - Collectathon III
Part 26 - Ganon's Castle
Part 27 - Ganon

TheLoneStar fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

As I said in the OP, I am allowing this thread to name Link for me. I'll start on the LP officially on Thursday, so for the rest of today and tomorrow, anyone can suggest what his name should be, and I'll pick my favorite.

Note: The game only allows eight characters for Link's name.

This post will also be reserved for anything else in the future if need-be.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
I for one would like to continue the confusing name pattern from Minish Cap, and request you call him Navi.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

HomestarCanter posted:

I for one would like to continue the confusing name pattern from Minish Cap, and request you call him Navi.
Seconded.

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

It probably won't fit, but I recommend Darunia so the goron kid can be named after his daddy.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Alright, first set of videos:

Part 1 - The Deku Tree's Plight
Part 2 - The Kokiri's Emerald

Is the brightness too low? I feel like I should turn it up a bit for the rest of the LP, what do you guys think?

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
The brightness itself doesn't seem to be a problem, but somewhere between you N64 and the Youtube playback, a lot of the near-black gets turned into a dark red. I've seen it happen on compressed video, but I don't know how to compensate for or correct it. A quick google doesn't tell me much, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else in the thread, or over in Tech Support knows more about it.

Edit: I'm a moron. It's my TV. I'm liking the casual playthrough style. I don't suppose you'd be interested in making a bonus video concerning a very special Gameshark code?

HomestarCanter fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Apr 28, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

HomestarCanter posted:

The brightness itself doesn't seem to be a problem, but somewhere between you N64 and the Youtube playback, a lot of the near-black gets turned into a dark red. I've seen it happen on compressed video, but I don't know how to compensate for or correct it. A quick google doesn't tell me much, I'm afraid. Hopefully someone else in the thread, or over in Tech Support knows more about it.

Edit: I'm a moron. It's my TV. I'm liking the casual playthrough style. I don't suppose you'd be interested in making a bonus video concerning a very special Gameshark code?

Hmmm. I'll just turn up the game's brightness a smidge for one video and see how it looks and see if I should keep it or switch it away. Like, sometimes it was hard to see the area inside the Great Deku Tree in the video because of how dark it was. A lot darker than the T.V. when I played it.

And yeah, sure. What's the code? I think I actually have a working GameShark lying around somewhere.

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
If you have OoT version 1.0, and a Gameshark 2.2 or higher, the code is:

81244424 013B
81244432 0001

It's something that was programmed into the game, then dummied out. Apparently it was used to test one of the boss's movement patterns. Just start up the game as young Link and walk out of his house to trigger it. If you've never seen this before, then a blind reaction would be pretty fun to see.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

HomestarCanter posted:

If you have OoT version 1.0, and a Gameshark 2.2 or higher, the code is:

81244424 013B
81244432 0001

It's something that was programmed into the game, then dummied out. Apparently it was used to test one of the boss's movement patterns. Just start up the game as young Link and walk out of his house to trigger it. If you've never seen this before, then a blind reaction would be pretty fun to see.

Ah, the Arwing enemy. I remember that. If I can find one of my cartridges I'll show it off at some point. And like I said in the OP, this isn't live.

But let's work on saving the world.

Part 3 - Princess Zelda
Part 4 - Kakariko Village

I can't believe Princess Zelda would stoop so low.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Second dungeon cleared:

Part 5 - Goron City
Part 6 - Dodongo's Cavern

I still can't believe how stupid this plot of Ganondorf's is.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012
So I just found this thread watched the first episode and I have to say I like it so far. To bad I missed your Minish Cap playthrough since that is one of my favorite LoZ titles.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sagacious posted:

So I just found this thread watched the first episode and I have to say I like it so far. To bad I missed your Minish Cap playthrough since that is one of my favorite LoZ titles.

Appreciate it, man. And yeah, it's definitely up there for me too. Not my favorite, but I can definitely see why it'd be the favorite of others.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Appreciate it, man. And yeah, it's definitely up there for me too. Not my favorite, but I can definitely see why it'd be the favorite of others.

No problem, can't wait for Majora's Mask if you are gonna LP that game. Always liked that game a bit better the Ocarina of Time (please don't shoot me fanboys)

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Do you plan to play Master Quest at some point? I imagine you could do it right after this game, to fit the timeline. Or you could do it alongside or after Wind Waker to fit release date. Or perhaps when you get to OoT3D. Seeing you go through the dungeons so handily made me think of how confused I got at Master Quest.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sagacious posted:

No problem, can't wait for Majora's Mask if you are gonna LP that game. Always liked that game a bit better the Ocarina of Time (please don't shoot me fanboys)

I know I'll get to it one day, but that timeline will be the last I cover since it's my favorite of the three.

HomestarCanter posted:

Do you plan to play Master Quest at some point? I imagine you could do it right after this game, to fit the timeline. Or you could do it alongside or after Wind Waker to fit release date. Or perhaps when you get to OoT3D. Seeing you go through the dungeons so handily made me think of how confused I got at Master Quest.

And nah, I won't do Master Quest or the 3DS version (especially since I have no way of recording 3DS gameplay). It's a lot of effort to do a game I've done already but with new graphics or dungeon layouts.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Finally back. Had some issues with Vegas Pro but now it's all good.

Part 7 - Zora's Domain
Part 8 - Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly
Part 9 - Collectathon I

So, what was everyone's favorite Child Link dungeon? Mine was the Great Deku Tree, honestly. I felt like the atmosphere was better, where the idiotic plan Ganondorf made for the Gorons dampened my liking of that dungeon a bit, and I overall am just not fond of Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly. It just doesn't click with me.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

So, what was everyone's favorite Child Link dungeon? Mine was the Great Deku Tree, honestly. I felt like the atmosphere was better, where the idiotic plan Ganondorf made for the Gorons dampened my liking of that dungeon a bit, and I overall am just not fond of Inside Jabu-Jabu's Belly. It just doesn't click with me.

In all honesty all the child stuff feels really boring.
But if I have to choose one I go for the fire dungeon. Deku Tree is just way to tutorial heavy, it makes sense because it is the first dungeon but it is just annoying if you replay the game.
And inside Jabu Jabu feels just tedious having to babysit all the time.

sagacious fucked around with this message at 13:39 on May 7, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sagacious posted:

And inside Jabu Jabu feels just tedious having to babysit all the time.

I dunno, it's not like you gotta do much with Ruto, and she can't like, die or anything.

Only one video this time, and the next time too most likely.

Part 10 - The Master Sword

Lot of weird time shenanigans and paradoxes here and we're just getting started.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And one video again.

Whether from Ocarina of Time or not, what Zelda rumor do you remember the most or was one of the weirdest you've heard of?

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

And one video again.

Whether from Ocarina of Time or not, what Zelda rumor do you remember the most or was one of the weirdest you've heard of?

I have to go with the LoZ steam punk rumour where Epona would be the name of your motorcycle instead of a horse.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sagacious posted:

I have to go with the LoZ steam punk rumour where Epona would be the name of your motorcycle instead of a horse.
Wasn't an original, old idea for the game one where Link went to a futuristic-type future instead?

Back to Kid Navi for some stuff.

Part 12 - Happy Mask Sidequest
Part 13 - Bottom of the Well

I'm not the only one still creeped out by this Well, right?

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Wasn't an original, old idea for the game one where Link went to a futuristic-type future instead?

Maybe that was also one but I distinctly remember that one.
Oh and there was also the rumor that you could obtain the Triforce in Ocarina of Time.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sagacious posted:

Maybe that was also one but I distinctly remember that one.
Oh and there was also the rumor that you could obtain the Triforce in Ocarina of Time.
Ya don't say.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Only one video today, mainly just sidequest stuff.

Part 14 - Epona and Trading

That old lady is gonna give me nightmares.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Another single video, same with tomorrow.

Part 15 - Fire Temple I

So, what do you guys feel about the Fire Temple music? Which is better, the original version or the updated one?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Although I'm talking to air, only one episode today and tomorrow too, probably same with Friday.

Part 16 - Fire Temple II

Volvagia is one of the lamest dragons ever, I swear.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Another single video, same with tomorrow.

Part 15 - Fire Temple I

So, what do you guys feel about the Fire Temple music? Which is better, the original version or the updated one?

Yeah I prefer the original version since it can actually pass as music instead of thee later one that is just ominous sound.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Like I said, only one video today.

Part 17 - Ice Cavern

gently caress ice levels, am I right?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Last video for a few days.

And gently caress this place too.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Last video for a few days.

And gently caress this place too.

There is a really simple trick to the water temple. If you first come in go down and for the main room always go clockwise and down when you raise the water level.
The thing that got me the most is if you cleared the ice cavern and water temple Zora's Domain is still frozen. That always saddens me.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

sagacious posted:

There is a really simple trick to the water temple. If you first come in go down and for the main room always go clockwise and down when you raise the water level.
The thing that got me the most is if you cleared the ice cavern and water temple Zora's Domain is still frozen. That always saddens me.

Honestly, was not aware of that. I always used a guide for it, so I never really noticed the pattern.
And yeah, that bothered me too. It's no wonder there were all those rumors that you could thaw the poor suckers out.

sagacious
Oct 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Honestly, was not aware of that. I always used a guide for it, so I never really noticed the pattern.
And yeah, that bothered me too. It's no wonder there were all those rumors that you could thaw the poor suckers out.

Oh well glad I could help out (sort of). I was hoping they would fix that in the 3DS remake but they didn't.
Yeah I remember those rumors poor Zora's.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Just another commentary-less collectathon video.

Mostly got Gold Skulltulas this time. Next time I'll focus on Heart Pieces and Big Poes, probably.

Part 19 - Collectathon II

Finally figured out what I was missing with that Scarecrow...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Now let's make some real progress.

Part 20 - Biggoron's Sword
Part 21 - The Shadow Temple

Bongo Bongo always creeped me out more than any other Zelda enemy or boss. Aside from the obvious ReDead and Dead Hand, what Zelda enemies/bosses creep you out?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

The end is drawing near. Closing in on the final temple.

Part 22 - Gerudo's Fortress

If Gerudos are invincible, how have they not conquered Hyrule yet?

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

And now all that's left is some 100% stuff and Ganondorf.

Part 23 - The Spirit Temple (Child)
Part 24 - The Spirit Temple (Adult)

What are the qualifications of being a Sage anyway? Most of them aren't even remotely Sage-like...

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Aside from two Great Fairies and actually just beating the game, I now have everything. That was an ordeal.

Part 25 - Collectathon III

Kind of wish someone told me I missed a Gold Skulltula from the Forest Temple though.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Well, that was a fun time. I thank anyone who actually stuck around this long. Here are the last two videos:

Part 26 - Ganon's Castle
Part 27 - Ganon

Ocarina of Time is pretty much as good as I remember it being. Maybe a bit more annoying in some places than I remember, and not just in the Water Temple. And I gotta say I'm never gonna 100% this game again, it was just flat-out not worth it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HomestarCanter
Oct 21, 2008

Strong Bad,
you're a horse's twees.
Congratulations on finishing the game. I don't have time to watch the last videos yet, so forgive me if you already said, but do you plan on doing another game after this? I enjoyed suggesting Navi's name for this one, and was hoping for the chance to give more confusing names.

• Locked thread