Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Discord link

A pretty dope new cinematic

Heroes of the Storm (HotS) is a Multiplayer Online Battle Arena (MOBA) developed by Blizzard Entertainment and drawing on Blizzard's 20 year history of iconic games and characters. As in other MOBAs, players in HotS choose a Hero and placed into 5v5 battles. The ultimate goal is to fight through multiple layers of fortifications, enemy minions and mercenaries, and the opposing team to destroy the enemy's Core.

Why would I play this over DotA or LoL?

- No item shop, so no need to memorize item lists and how they interact with Heroes.
- No last hitting/denying, so no falling behind on levels/gold just because you can't precisely time auto-attacks
- Shared XP over all Heroes on a team, so no carrying somebody else to glory
- No runes or other out-of-game items you have to buy to remain competitive
- Objectives that makes maps more interesting and flow differently
- Shorter matches, so getting stomped ends faster

In general, HotS is a much more accessible and casual MOBA with a focus on the things that are fun about the genre (teamfights, feeling cool) and not the things that are tedious bullshit legacy mechanics (last hitting, item shops). Quite a few players (including myself) have tried other games in the genre and disliked them, only to come to HotS and fall in love. Its free to play so there's no reason not to try!

The last two years since HotS’ launch have been an exciting time, with the dev team clearly growing more comfortable and experienced with their particular take on MOBAs. They’ve released multiple new maps and dozens of new heroes that push the boundaries of the genre while making a concerted effort to update older Heroes and keep them fresh along with regular balance updates and reworking game systems. However, the metagame aspect suffered, with prices on skins and Heroes high compared to other MOBAs and little to look forward to once you maxed out your account levels and started reaching higher levels on Heroes. Also, Overwatch is presumably making a poo poo ton of money and the HotS’ team wanted to get in on that. Enter Heroes 2.0.

The Heroes 2.0 update is an effort to modernize some of the clunkier aspects of HotS’ progression and storefront. The short version is the game now works a lot like Overwatch’s leveling and loot boxes. Instead of being capped at account level 40, players will now be able to “infinitely” level and earn rewards at certain milestones. In addition, players can now earn or buy loot boxes containing everything from worthless chaff to keep you from getting the good stuff sprays and emojis to skins and Heroes. Furthermore, Blizzard has reduced the amount of XP needed to account level Heroes across the board, making it way faster to get your favorite Heroes to high levels. All the details on 2.0 you could possibly need are here but the goal, as it always has been with HotS, is to make the game more accessible and more fun to play.

:siren:If you have played HotS before and want to come back in, you will get a certain amount of free loot boxes depending on how high your overall Player Level was. That’s your Account Level plus each level for each Hero.

PLAY

The new loadout screen, where you can customize your Hero before the match with all your collectibles. Also a bitching Zarya skin.

There’s a mode for playing HotS for every mood you’re in!

Quick Match
The most straightforward. Pick a Hero, click a button, play a game. QM tries to keep skill levels balanced and create coherent team comps, but guarantees neither.

Unranked
This mode has a Draft Phase, where each team picks and bans Heroes with their team.

Hero League/Team League
HotS’ tryhard modes, HL and TL are where you go to play competitively. After completing 10 placement matches, you will be sorted into a League and advance through the ranks. There is a requirement of having 14 Heroes at at least level 5 before you can play the ranked modes, but that’s fairly easy to achieve. Hero League can only be played solo while Team League can be played with any number of friends. At the end of each season, players are given rewards depending on their rank, ranging from just Gold to unique mounts and fancy portraits.

Brawl
The goofy mode, Brawl changes each week with different maps and rules. There’s no particular effort to balance Brawls, so please don’t whine in the thread if you get a lovely team comp or whatever. Brawls do reward a loot crate for playing (not necessarily winning) 2-3 games a week so there’s no reason not to do them.

There are goons that play in all these modes, so hop into Discord and the in-game SAGoons channel (/join SAGoons) to find them!
BUY

Gambling, the hot new revolution in gaming

Prior to 2.0, HotS’ monetization was simple. You either paid real money or Gold, the latter of which was earned through playing games and doing daily quests. Mostly though, you’d paid money. But with 2.0 has come a massive amount of new cosmetic items and three exciting currencies that you will still primarily be paying real money for!

Gold works just like before: earn by playing the game, spend it on Heroes. Gold can also be spend on rerolling loot chests for (hopefully) better stuff!

BrianBoitano posted:

Somebody did some loot chest reroll math: https://www.pcgamesn.com/heroes-of-the-storm/hots-loot-chest-opening-chances

tl;dr:
  • Keep chests if they have what you want. Barring that...
    Reroll every chest that doesn't give you above its guaranteed minimum. In other words:
  • Keep common chests that have at least 1 rare.
  • Keep rare chests that have at least 2 rares.
  • Keep epic chests that have at least 2 epics or an epic + rare
    Finally:
  • If you get a "lucky duplicate" (e.g. an epic from a rare chest, bleh it's a duplicate) keep it for the shards. Rerolling won't guarantee you another lucky epic.
  • Expect a legendary every 12-13 boxes, hard max likely at 20 boxes, 95% max likely 18 boxes.
  • Gold is most efficiently spent on heroes until you have a decent hero pool. It would take you many many rerolls to luckily get heroes you don't have. Yes they have biased RNG to help you get what you don't have, but you'll still likely spend more gold rerolling and loot chests just aren't common enough to keep rolling the dice.

Of course, if you own all heroes and you have nothing better to do with gold, by all means reroll lucky stuff to gamble on even more lucky stuff, especially since you get 3 chances.

Official Blizzard Stats posted:

*Probabilities of each rarity in loot chests are listed below:

RARE: Average of 1 every chest

EPIC: Average of 1 every 4.5 chests

LEGENDARY: Average of 1 every 17.5 chests

*Numbers do not apply to rerolls, event chests and special chests obtained from levelling.
Gems can purchased with real money and are used to buy Loot Chests, Heroes, Stimpacks, and Bundles. You will get a small trickle of Gems at certain milestones while leveling your account.

Shards are identical to Credits from Overwatch: you get them from Loot Chests or duplicate items and can spend them to buy specific cosmetic items.

The progression and loot system is the biggest update coming in 2.0 so I highly recommend you check out all the details in Blizzard’s blog post.

WATCH
In this exciting age, we can watch twenty-year olds play video games whenever we want to. HotS is no exception.

lordfrikk posted:

If anyone's interested in who to watch, here's my short list: Grubby has the least bullshit Twitch/YouTube channel, he's an ex-Warcraft 3/Starcraft pro player, still streams W3 on weekends; chu8/HORSEPANTS are both good but you might not like their style, KendricSwissh is also a good, long time player, sometimes goes overboard with sound bytes; Sc2FanTV is GFE (pro team) Fan's channel, he's very good at the game but his presentation leaves a lot to be desired, no meme bullshit though; Honorable mentions: McIntyre, Trikslyr (Blizz employee), CrisHeroes (another pro player), Srey (on YouTube) has infrequent but informative videos about specific heroes.

Additionally, MFPallytime is one of the most popular HotS YouTubers, but unlike the pro players linked above, he plays at more of a mid-tier level. Still entertaining and informative.

LEARN
MOBAs are complicated games and while HotS is the simplest, it still has a bit of learning curve for new players. Goons are usually willing to answer questions but may insult you in the process, as is typical of this dying forum. Fortunately, there are plenty of other resources!

The HotS subreddit for general chatter
And the competitive HotS subreddit for theorycrafting and tryharding
Both HeroesFire and Icy Veins are good sources for builds and play tips
Hotslogs is the main source for tracking winrates and how successful builds are right now. There has apparently been some drama in the past with the site owner doing some shady poo poo with their ads and Blizzard is developing their own public version, but for now it’s all we got.
HeroesCounter lets you pick Heroes and show you who they counter, what counters them, and who they work well with. Useful for drafting.

Finally, you will almost certainly need this thread at some point in your HotS career.

glhf

1stGear fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Dec 5, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
HEY FORGET ALL THESE CHUMPS BELOW THIS LINE BECAUSE THIS REDDIT POST IS PRETTY MUCH A COMPLETE ENCYCLOPEDIA OF ALL THE BAD BEHAVIORS AND PRACTICES THAT MAKE YOU LOSE GAMES

NEW PLAYER ADVICE STATION

Yo this is a really long post and its really informative so you should read all of it. But here's a summary:

A bunch of good tips from a Reddit poster.

Boom, you're now better than 90% of new players coming into HotS. Go play some games and come back.

How Does a Match Go, or How I Learned To Stop Worrying And Stay In My loving Lane
At the start of a match, hit Tab to check the composition of your team and the enemy team. Do this before you pick your first talent so you have a better idea of what you'll be working with. When you start playing, you won't know what Heroes are capable of but you'll learn fast and that will help guide talent choices and playstyle.

Before the gates drop, your team will divide up into lanes. Don't worry too much about who's in what lane, especially if you're new, but make sure there's at least one player in each lane at all times (unless an objective is up). In order to get XP from minions in HotS you have to be within range of the minion dying and if your team isn't in range and the enemy team is, they will rapidly out-level you.

A short time into the match, the first map-specific objective will pop up. :siren:OBJECTIVES ARE INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT GET THOSE FUKKEN OBJECTIVES:siren: When objectives are up is when its acceptable to abandon your lane and XP soaking because objectives are game-changing. Wait for your teammates so you can move in as one because this is likely the time when the first few team skirmishes will occur and you want to come out on top of them.

Generally prior to level 10 you want to stay in lane, soak XP, and skirmish for objectives. If possible, you want to push your minions to the enemy's fort and start poking it, but don't stress about it too much. Once you reach level 10, you can pick your Heroic Ability and the game starts for real. Start grouping with your team and more aggressively pushing for teamfights/forts. Capture merc camps, hold objectives, and wreck any enemy players who think its a good idea to wander out on their own (It is never a good idea to wander on your own). Once fights get started, avoid fighting at a numerical disadvantage. If one of your teammates goes down, back off, do something else, wait for them to respawn.

If you're losing, don't panic! The way XP works in HotS means a comeback is only one good teamfight away but you'll need to play more cautiously. If you're more than a level behind, avoid teamfights in favor of clearing minion waves for more XP and hitting merc camps to create problems for your opponents to deal with. If you see a single enemy player on their own, gank them with your allies then swiftly retreat. Always keep an eye on the minimap and keep in mind what your opponents can see. It is entirely possible to have your Core completely exposed and be multiple levels behind only to pull it together and win a hard-fought game. Don't give up!

The most important thing to be thinking at all times is “What am I doing?” “What is it contributing to my team's victory?” and “Could I be doing something better?”

Hey, Should I Do <Dumb Thing>? Some Final Advice.
STAY IN LANE. This has been covered, but seriously, stay in lane. Don't be intimidated by the enemy team deathballing around in a single group. They might be ganking you, but they're getting crap for experience and will fall behind in stats and talents. Keeping people in each lane before level 10 is the most important thing you can do.

DON'T CHASE. Oh, but Uncle FirstGear that Valla only has like 100 health I can totally get her. What you don't realize is that that Valla is running back to her three teammates who are all full health and mana and are itching to destroy you. If an enemy manages to disengage, let them. You've forced them back and won anyway. I've watched more teams than I care to count throw away victories because they just had to chase down that last Hero and walked into the waiting arms of a freshly respawned team.

DON'T GO ALONE. Past level 10, you should never be without at least one buddy. Wandering about alone clearing minions/forts/merc camps is just asking to get ganked and hand a big chunk of XP to the enemy team, as well as putting your team at a disadvantage in the next teamfight (that the other team will now be trying to force). Conversely, don't leave your team just because you disagree with them. Stick together, work together, win together.

WATCH THE MINIMAP. The minimap shows you everything that every part of your team, from other players to structures, can see. You should always be keeping an eye on it and noting where enemy players are. If you can't see them, think about where they might be. Adjust your priorities and movement accordingly.

YOU ARE YOUR MOST VALUABLE ASSET. Keep yourself alive. Don't engage in completely unwinnable fights. Don't hang around with no health and mana left. Don't try and keep soloing a merc camp when they're killing you. If you're alive, you're helping your team. If you're dead, you're handing XP to the enemy and crippling your team by a fifth.

GET IN DISCORD. Multiplayer games are way more fun with random strangers friends! Get in Discord!

HAVE FUN. Its a game, a casual as gently caress game. MOBAs have infamously toxic communities and while HotS is better than most, you are still going to get called a loving retarded baddie by tcjimbo and you are going to be inclined to call him one too. Don't. Chill out and have fun smacking your action figures together.

1stGear fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 25, 2017

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

ground floor, dead game

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Buying Probius just for those voice lines

e: also good info: pick the "correct" mega bundle to get the most value, since they don't give you poo poo for duplicates:

https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/66jeju/which_mega_hero_bundle_should_you_pick_i_made_a/?ref=search_posts

Also :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren: buy the bundle BEFORE you open chests! That way, when you open chests, you get shards for duplicates. If you open chests first and get something in your bundle, tough poo poo :siren: :siren: :siren: :siren:

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Apr 25, 2017

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Polio Vax Scene posted:

ground floor, dead game

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
This is the second best game in the world for getting Overwatch skins.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

1st pick murky every game your way to GM.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

This new brawl owns, btw.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Kyrosiris posted:

This new brawl owns, btw.

What is it?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Gray gray blue gray

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

lol go buy OW:Origins before you get Tracer for free from this bundle!!! Quick!

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

really hoping my wife got my Facebook message and is even now booting up my computer and patching HOTS

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC

All Tracers on Hanamura. Pulse bomb goes off instantly if it hits, and everyone has Total Recall.

e: Dying also does damage to the core and a few other stuff.

GenericOverusedName fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 25, 2017

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
finally, I can spam Illidan FOREVER and get loot boxes for it

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Are there more Orochi hover cycle colors? That promo video showed more than 3.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Anyone got a link for the 4 week event rewards? I only saw the week 4 reward.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The Brightwing announcer is the best, FYI

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Page one is gonna last forever since there's only like six goons that play this and there's never any big events to talk about, so yeah ground floor

I'm actually super excited about this Nexus Challenge and I'm really glad to see that they're putting a lot of effort into trying to get more players into the game. Here's hoping they get enough players into the game that the TL matchmaking pool gets large enough for it to not be poo poo!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Pounded in the butt by Jimmy's girth

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Is there a goons list for this? Need people when I pop on occasionally to bang out nexus challenges.

In as w00tmonger

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

e: ^^^^ /join SAGoons in-game. That's the best way. Sometimes the discord https://www.tinyurl.com/sagoons is a thing.

ToastyPotato posted:

Anyone got a link for the 4 week event rewards? I only saw the week 4 reward.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2t9lwC7lk
Blizz site seems to be 404 so I hope you can watch youtube where you are.

Also note in the upper-right corner which game logo is showing. Skins are OW-only, but there are some things (portraits, sprays, banners) which are rewards in both games.

Also

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
good thread title

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Can someone buy me a new red text now that JakeP doesn't play any more? Maybe TCJimbo butt-lover? TIA.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

BrianBoitano posted:

e: ^^^^ /join SAGoons in-game. That's the best way. Sometimes the discord https://www.tinyurl.com/sagoons is a thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bv2t9lwC7lk
Blizz site seems to be 404 so I hope you can watch youtube where you are.

Also note in the upper-right corner which game logo is showing. Skins are OW-only, but there are some things (portraits, sprays, banners) which are rewards in both games.

Also

Oh drat, 2 OW skins, 3 HotS mounts, and 10$ worth for chests in each game. Nice.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
Blizzard has infinite resources and some of the most talented people working for them.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
God but it is nice for 9 -> 10 to not be an unscalable hill any more.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Is Probius bad, or is it just me that's bad? Played some HotS for the first time in a while last night in anticipation of 2.0 and he seemed difficult to use and underwhelming.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
tcjimbo in opening post world is alright.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

BrianBoitano posted:

Sweet

Gonna do this tonight

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat, gonna have to play this game again to get that Koreacop D.Va skin.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Ronnie posted:

Blizzard has infinite resources and some of the most talented people working for them.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
:oclap: DON'T :oclap: PICK :oclap: GUL'DAN :oclap: IF :oclap: YOU :oclap: AREN'T :oclap: GOING :oclap: TO :oclap: IGNORE :oclap: TEAM :oclap: FIGHTS :oclap: AND :oclap: PUSH :oclap: TOWERS :oclap:

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Is Probius bad, or is it just me that's bad? Played some HotS for the first time in a while last night in anticipation of 2.0 and he seemed difficult to use and underwhelming.

He's very map dependent and your team has to play around you and you will have a lot of trouble doing stuff like securing kills so you have to hope your teammates aren't idiots. He's pretty good when used correctly on the right map and in the right team.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

gazlowe is the only good announcer atm

alarak and roadhog announcers when

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

All Tracer on Hanamura, you start at level 10, and it's accelerated (4x core damage from payloads and 4x core health, but every kill on an enemy also does one core damage). Pretty fun, lots of skirmishing and poo poo.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
If I'm around in SAGoons I'm more than happy to help people grinding games out for Nexus challenges, and I definitely want Poli.Va so count me in for that.

Thanks to the megabundle I now have about 51 or so of the heroes in the game. The only specialists left are the ones I don't have interest in playing (Medivh, TLV, and Probius) and my last remaining Warrior is Cho'Gall. I bought Lucio with gold and have a bunch left for rerolling, and I snagged a rainbow unicorn for Murky to ride into battle so 2.0 has been pretty decent so far.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Is this the thread to brag about our Chest openings? Cause I just got Cheerleader Kerrigan, which was the one skin I was considering spending money on.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

He's good at zoning and can push a lane better than anybody else but you have to be super situationally aware, you have Abathur hp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Kyrosiris posted:

All Tracer on Hanamura, you start at level 10, and it's accelerated (4x core damage from payloads and 4x core health, but every kill on an enemy also does one core damage). Pretty fun, lots of skirmishing and poo poo.

you also get total recall (heal when rewinding) and instant bomb explosion, so it feels very very "overwatch"y