Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

WE WELCOME THE OPPRESSORS
Wow. Sorry about not doing a refresh on the thread when Kaladesh came out. Life got in the way of that. In hindsight, it’s not like we really needed to brew after the bans.

I mean, it’s hard to understate how crappy Standard was last season. Especially since the release of Aether Revolt. I mean, it’s been bad enough that I moved to Modern for the most part while keeping an eye on Standard to see if there’s any changes.

I will say that I did enjoy the U/R Zombies/Emerge deck. It was even more fun than MURDERGOATS while actually having a game against Saheeli combo. EDIT: THAT poo poo DOESN'T MATTER ANYMORE BECAUSE THE EMERGENCY BAN OF FELIDAR GUARDIAN HAPPENED LIKE THREE MINUTES BEFORE I POSTED THIS OP LOL.

Some important things to note before you post your deck:
  • DO include what you're building your deck for, be it casual, FNM, or a Grand Prix. Also, mention if this is for a specific format (Standard, Extended, Modern, Legacy, Vintage, Commander, Pauper, Theme Deck, etc.).
  • DO mention if your deck has a budget associated with it.
  • :siren:DO READ THIS ARTICLE BY CONLEY WOODS!:siren: Your deck and some of your choices are going to be questioned, and you're likely to feel insulted. We're not out to hurt your feelings and make you go all :smith: on us. Even some of the best deck builders get their work blown up by other people. You might even be ignored, don't take it personally.
  • If you're searching online for cards, I can't recommend using Wizard's website, Gatherer. It tends to be slow and difficult to use. Magiccards.info is a better bet.
  • For Sixty-Card constructed decks, please try to use deckstats or tappedout's deck building tools, and use the full embed code if you can. The links help make your deck pop off the page when scrolling.
  • For Commander/EDH decks, you can post them, but do remember there is a dedicated thread for this, and that you’re a horrible person. Use only a link to deckstats/tappedout if you do decide to post it here. If your deck is on MODO, go ahead and give us a screen shot of it.

Enough with the notes, on to some of the deck building basics.

Before you build:
  • Decide what your deck's win condition or conditions will be. Try to have a plan B when you can.
  • Decide how your deck will achieve that goal.
  • For competitive play, never exceed the 60-card minimum (99+general in commander).
  • Don't be afraid to net deck. It's not a bad thing. If there's a pre existing deck out there that does what you want to do, feel free to copy it. It's likely going to be optimized already. Star City Games keeps a list of all of the top decks from its events, as does Wizards in their event section.
  • If you don't want to build a pre-existing deck but want to use its archetype, still view the deck lists. That will provide an excellent starting point to build your mana base. This is the start of what's called, "Going Rouge".
  • Speaking of the Internet, consider using one of the deck building tools out there, such as https://www.deckstats.net and https://www.tappedout.net. Also, use something like magiccards.info to search out cards you may want to use. See the second post of the main discussion thread for more online resources.

Now that I've mentioned them...

Deck Archetypes
  • Aggressive; Hit them hard and fast. If you haven't won by turn four or five, you've probably already lost. Historically, these are Red, Green, and Black; but can exist in all colors. Examples include Red Deck Wins. Pure aggro decks tend to have low amounts of land, sometimes as few as 16 and rarely have utility lands.
  • Stompy: Rides the border of Aggro and Midrange. Usually appears to be an aggro shell with buffs. Examples would be SOM/INN R/G Aggro (because of swords buffs and having a bit of a late game) and Tempered Steel. Land count in Stompy decks tend to hover in the 21-23 range, sometimes include a couple of utility lands, and will often include some Ramp elements (usually mana producing creatures).
  • Midrange: A variable type of deck that can play the aggro role against control, or the control rol against aggro. Abzan decks from the standard we just rotated out of are the perfect example of midrange. Land count for midrange decks tends to hang in the 22-25 area with a decent amount of utility lands.
  • Control: Built to take the game long and outlast an opponent, usually through mass removal, card advantage and counter spells. This type of deck usually runs few actual threats. Historically, these decks are Blue based with White or Black. U/W control from RTR/THS and The Deck are examples of control. Control decks will run 25+ lands, and will include numerous utility lands.
  • Tempo-Control: This deck type blurs the line between Aggro and control by using tempo cards like Vapor Snag and other unsummon variants along with small, evasive beaters and other value cards to control the game. Recent examples being Caw-Blade from ZEN/SOM and Delver from SOM/INN
  • Ramp: Decks built to hit a certain point on their mana curve as fast a possible (ramping up through land search or mana producing creatures) then crushing their opposition before they can react to their massive threats. This archetype can suffer with out of order draws, (not drawing land search sorceries or mana producing creatures early, etc.) but tends the be extremely explosive. Valakut decks in late ALA/Zen and early ZEN/SOM and the various Wolf Run variants from SOM/INN are examples. Very rarely do Ramp decks run less than 25 lands, with upwards of 28 not being unheard of.
  • Combo: This was the boogeyman of Standard up until about 20 minutes from having to do this edit. Saheeli Combo had the ability to dump infinite hasty cats on turn four and just beat you. Otherwise you’re looking at older formats with storm combos or the OG of all combos: Channel/Fireball.

Next up, Building!

While you build:
  • Remember that consistent decks with a clear plan to victory (and a backup plan) win the most.
  • Mono-colored or two-colored decks tend to be the most consistent and least vulnerable to disruption. You can fan out to a third if the format's mana base allows it. It remains to be seen what will happen with manabases with Ahmonket’s release, but 3-4 colors should be doable
  • You generally want somewhere around 22 to 26 lands in your deck, depending on format or archetype. Your Mana Base should generally skew similar to the amount of colored mana in your spells. More on this after this list.
  • Give this article by Alexander Shearer a read and check out the spreadsheet.
  • Be mindful of your Mana Curve. As an example, if you're playing an aggressive deck with the goal of simply going :zerg: at your opponent, your mana curve should terminate at a converted mana cost of NO HIGHER than four and the majority of your spells hovering around the CMC 2 range. There's no hard and fast rule for what a mana curve should look like. This is the 2010 Worlds top standard deck, note that the mana curve has a huge amount of things to do at CMC 1 and 2

I can't stress enough how much you have to consider your mana base.
Your forseeable manabase BFZ/OGW/SOI/EMN/KLD/AER/Ahmonket Standard minus some of the utility lands because a lot of them don’t see play outside of limited:

Basic Lands: Plains, Island, Swamp, Mountian, Forest.

Wastes: Basic lands without a type that debuted in OGW. Only produce colorless mana. You can have as many of these in a constructed deck as you’d like. If you’re drafting BFZ block (oh god why are you doing that), you have to draft them. THESE ROTATE OUT OF STANDARD WITH BFZ BLOCK.

Shadows Land Lands: Allied cycle of lands that ETBT unless you reveal a land with the type of one of the basics that produces that color. They play well with Battle Lands and will probably be about on par with Scars Fastlands for standard, which is to say they're better early game.

Battle Lands: Fetchable dual lands that ETB tapped if you don’t control at least two basics. They’re relatively budget, but haven’t seen a ton of play lately because they’re kinda slow.

Enemy Manlands: Lands that ETB Tapped but can have mana pumped into them to be turned into a creature until end of turn. They’re ok fixing and generally fairly good cards. U/R and B/W are probably the best of the bunch.

Enemy Fastlands: Well, this cycle may just be the only thing NOT WRONG with the entire Kaladesh block. And that’s only because it’s completing the full cycle from Scars of Mirrordin. These ETB untapped if they’re your first through third lands of the game. They show up in modern as well, so get them while you can.

ETBT Paired duals: Allied pairs in OGW, Enemy pairs in SOI. These are your baseline dual lands for the time being. They’re not pretty, but they’ll get the job done

Evolving Wilds: The go to land for fetching basics in standard. So much better than Warped Landscape from SOI

Allied Bicycle lands: gently caress you, I’m calling them what I want. These are fetchable (typed) ETB tapped duals that have Cycling: 2. Awesome for dealing with flood and good for being viable fetch targets. Not fast by any means, but being able to cycle away a useless land is a godsend

Westvale Abbey: There’s a lot going on with this card. It does produce colorless and for a lot of mana, it can get you a steady stream of 1/1 tokens. The last ability to transform it to Ormendahl, Profane Prince proved to be a pretty good payoff when SOI first came out. Then Emrakul showed up, got banned, and Cat Combo hosed everything up. Keep this in mind if you’re generating lots of tokens.

Sanctum of Ugin: Colorless fetching for when you cast a big colorless creature. More of a Modern pity card at this point, but useful as hell if you’re using the EMN Eldrazi. Chaining multiple Elder Deep Fiend will usually win you a game.

Crumbling Vestige: ETBT, but give you a color when it hits, then goes to producing colorless. Ended up being excellent in limited and is seeing play in couple modern decks. Not really up to the challenge in standard though.

Drownyard Temple: Taps for colorless and you can pay 3 to bring it back from the graveyard to the field tapped. Worth keeping in mind if you expect to be discarding a lot, but not an incredible card to be running.

Blighted Lands: A cycle of colorless producers that can be sacrificed for a minor effect for 4 or 5 cmc. Usefulness depends on what kind of deck you’re building. Blue and Black have proven to be the best of the bunch.

After it's built:
  • Test it out a little bit! You can even use the hand generators on deckstats.net to get a feel for what kind of opening hands you're going to run into. Goldfishing (solitare play) helps as well, but if you have friends or Magic Online, go to it.
  • If the deck seems like it might have some merit, post it here! Use the deckstats.net or tappedout.net builders. (I recommend deckstats, as it will give you the proper BB code with links to individual cards on magiccards.info as well as all the mana curve data and even pricing.)
  • Take the advice you get here, and make your first tweak. Only change one thing about a deck at a time so you understand the changes you've made function in relation to your deck's previous incarnation.
  • Test it out again! Then continue to make your changes.
  • Play your deck against every kind of deck you can. If you're going to a tournament, build a gauntlet of expected decks and play as many games as possible against those decks.
  • Don't forget your sideboard!
  • And don't forget to play post-sideboarded games!

One other thing to note when you're building your deck is that there's a good chance you're going to have a "pet card" you want to try to shoehorn into every deck you build. I gravitated towards Combustible Gearhulk for a while before AER came out. It was fun, but not great.

Alternatively, the OP of this MTG Salvation thread does an excelent job of going over all of this.

Some questions you may ask:

Can I post the full list of my Commander/EDH deck?
Use a link to deckstats/tappedout for your Commander/EDH Decks
DON’T POST FULL LISTS OF COMMANDER/EDH DECKS
Or just post it in the Commander thread and know that you’re a horrible person.

How many of each card do I want in my deck?
Here's a good way of looking at it (this excludes basic lands):
Four of a specific card: I want this card in my opening hand and/or want to see as many copies of it as possible.
Three of a specific card: Having this in my opening hand isn't bad, but I generally only want to see one or two copies of it during the course of a game (Legendary Creatures, Planeswalkers).
Two of a specific card: I'd like to see this card on occasion, but never really want it in my opening hand.
One of a specific card: I NEVER want to see more than one of this card or something I'll be searching for with a tutor effect or drawing through massive amounts of draw. (Singletons are often a deck win condition in vintage or legacy, and frequently a win condition in a combo deck.)

Why does my deck keep getting slaughtered by this other type of deck?
Your deck may have an inherent weakness to that deck. As an example, a creature ramp deck can be stalled out horribly by a mono-red burn deck. A deck with no flyers can be completely out of luck if your opponent drops a large flyer like a Baneslayer Angel. That mono-red burn deck has a huge weakness to life gain and shroud/hexproof creatures. You have three options to deal with this. First, you can make main deck changes. Second, you can dedicate slots in your sideboard to shore up this match. Third, you can just accept that your deck is bad against that type of deck.

What's a sideboard?
That's 15 extra cards you can use to modify your deck between games in a tournament. You can use this to solidify your deck against a bad matchup, or transform your deck into something else. It's a good idea to consider your deck as a 75 card deck with 15 cards held in reserve.

How do I tune my deck for my local metagame, what about my sideboard?
Well, that’s a bit of a doozy and specialized. You'd need to tell us what your expected metagame is, then we can help you.

I want to build a mill de--
Wizards does a good job of printing stuff that mills. I have news for you: Mill decks are still bad, especially in Standard. The U/B list in modern isn’t horrible, but it’s not great.

I’m not saying mill isn’t fun and can’t catch an event with its pants down like it historically has, but they’re a slow burn or combo deck at best. They lack consistency and are open to just being run down by even midrange decks. TurboMill from LOR/ALA is probably the closest, most recent example of a consistent Standard mill deck. It took the rise of 5-color-control for it to be a player though. And none of that mattered once Seismic Swans came around.

In both Standard and Modern, self-mill is usually a better idea.

Why did you rip my awesome deck to shreds? It was the best thing in the world! You have no idea what you're talking about!
While there's a decent chance that someone commenting on your deck may not have the best deck building sense (including me), the same holds true for you. Also, I warned you this would happen, and even gave you this link earlier. Put your ego aside, we're trying to help.

Hay guyz! I just got given a bunch of new cards from someone and I want to post my deck list. Should I do it?"
JerryLee put it pretty succinctly in the first iteration of this thread, but I'll sum it up here: Probably not. If your card pool is really tiny what you can put together isn't going to be of much interest to us, and you're likely to be ignored. If you want to list out a fully fleshed out deck (include cards you want to acquire for it) BASED ON what you currently have, or get some suggestions on what to look for, that's fine. If you want to save some money, you can buy from other goons!

My deck didn't get commented on. :smith:
This is likely to happen for any number of reasons. More often than not this tends to happen for Legacy and Vintage decks posted, but don’t worry if you want to talk older formats, Go here and post the list. Another reason your deck may have been ignored is because you didn't specify what format it's for and/or your budget. You could have also posted in the middle of a flurry of decks being posted and it was just missed. Don't take it personally, this just a single thread in a sub-forum of a sub-forum that's doesn't exactly have a huge amount of traffic.

That said, If you want to get competitive, don't hesitate to go to Star City Games top deck lists from their open series and use that as a place to start on the type of deck you want to use.

I'd like to remind everyone to INCLUDE WHAT FORMAT YOU'RE BUILDING YOUR DECK FOR! The format a deck is built for is key to getting help.

If you'd like to get a hold of me in regards to something with the thread, talk Wizard Poker Deck building, or berate me for being a jackass, feel free to PM. I might actually get back to you on that.

Cat Snakes for everyone!

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Apr 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

There was a bit of talk about this deck in the new main thread before the emergency cat ban happened:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/626179#paper

We can discuss deck choices here. I'm running a variant of this that lacks the enemy fetches, but runs four swiftspear instead of two. Why these people keep running two I have no idea.

Frozen_flame
Feb 14, 2012

Press A to Protect Earth!
It's a really snazzy deck, but I am unsure on Swiftspear at all in this kind of deck. As a 2 of, it's just meh (it got mentioned in the main thread)

What about a couple Mentor?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

YeehawMcKickass posted:

There was a bit of talk about this deck in the new main thread before the emergency cat ban happened:

We can discuss deck choices here. I'm running a variant of this that lacks the enemy fetches, but runs four swiftspear instead of two. Why these people keep running two I have no idea.

what is up with forked bolt?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Anyone have experience with modern death and taxes? Put this together recently:

Deck: Untitled Deck

//main
3 Adarkar Wastes
4 Æther Vial
4 Blade Splicer
3 Eldrazi Displacer
3 Eldrazi Temple
4 Flickerwisp
4 Ghost Quarter
4 Leonin Arbiter
3 Mutavault
4 Path to Exile
10 Plains
3 Restoration Angel
2 Smuggler's Copter
3 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
3 Thought-Knot Seer
3 Thraben Inspector

//Sideboard
2 Burrenton Forge-Tender
1 Eidolon of Rhetoric
2 Fragmentize
1 Kataki, War's Wage
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Oblivion Ring
2 Phyrexian Revoker
2 Rest in Peace
1 Spellskite

Display deck statistics

Played B/W eldrazi for a while but the mana was just awful. Been doing very well with it so far, albeit against soft competition. Smuggler's Copter is house and flickering Blade Splicer gets out of control quickly. Some current concerns I have:

-At what point is the eldrazi package just not worth it? They're the cards I keep shaving when I want to make room for something else. I know a few people who play mono-white and they love tectonic edge. Super scared to cut Thought-Knot Seer though because it's really hard to interact with ramp decks otherwise.

-Does anyone have experience with Dryad Militiant or Kytheon? Inspector has seemed mediocre, it's rarely the best thing worth flickering. Having a 1-drop seems really important for crewing purposes.

-Suggestions to replace Eidolon of Rhetoric? After 16+ matches I've brought it in once for Ad Nauseam, which I feel like I'm already favored in.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

little munchkin posted:

what is up with forked bolt?

I'm actually not sure, I'm not even running it.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK
Deck: Standard Budget/Terrible RDW

//Main
20 Mountain
4 Aether Chaser
4 Falkenrath Gorger
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Incendiary Flow
1 Kari Zev's Expertise
3 Kari Zev, Skyship Raider
3 Pia Nalaar
4 Reckless Bushwhacker
2 Renegade Freighter
4 Shock
3 Skin Invasion
4 Soul-Scar Mage
2 Throne of the God-Pharaoh

//Sideboard
4 By Force
3 Kari Zev's Expertise
2 Key to the City
4 Lightning Axe
1 Skin Invasion
1 Throne of the God-Pharaoh

Display deck statistics

Kinda loosely based on the standard deck I've been (not) playing since Standard took that terrible nose-dive. Just wanted to get any opinions anyone might have on this list, before I buy the few upgrades I need to build it.

It's mostly just a Bushwhacker/go wide deck (with limited Wrath/chump block protection in Skin Invasion) and as such, Throne of the God-Pharaoh seems like it could be entertaining. If I can win one game by second main clown carring the whole board into one Freighter, tap it to crew itself, and drop a Throne for lethal, this deck will have done it's job.

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

YeehawMcKickass posted:

It does look like a fun deck, and good stuff decks are generally pretty adaptable, but I don't see the logic behind a deck like this running white and nowhere in the 75 is there any PtE. Seems like it could just as easily replace those confounding Forked Bolts that every one of them seems to run. Is it for something like Lingering Souls?

Although that one variant from an MTGO league that has a Stomping Ground and 3 Abrupt Decay in the side is pretty funny.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

IIRC (haven't looked at the deck for a couple weeks), I'm running the full four Paths. Im also doing the sideboard Abrupt Decay/with one stomping ground. Caught a merfolk player by total surprise.

Anyone got some standard brews? U/R zombie/emerge is NOT in a good position thanks to magma spray.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I have almost everything for this deck outside of the Mesas (which I was gonna pick up anyway) so I think I'll try this out and let you know what works. I've been wanting to try Mardu for a little while and have brainstormed a couple different builds in the color set. Secretly, I just want to cast Lightning Helix :v:

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I was asked to post my Standard Abzan list, so here it is.

Walkers

4x Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
2x Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
1x Sorin, Grim Nemisis
1x Ob Nixilis

Creatures
4x Tireless Tracker
4x Winding Constrictor
3x Walking Ballisa
3x Servant of the conduit
1x Green Gearhulk
1x Black Gearhulk - Have tested Ishkanah in place, but without delirium it is a bad draw, and black gearhulk is still a good creature to search with Traverse if you do hit delirium.
1x Rishkar,
1x Thalia - Now that cat is gone I will probably just add the second Rishkar. I have also tested a single catacomb sifter and it was alright. It is a much better single draw than Rishkar, but not as explosive as the snake into Rishkar.

Spells
3x Fatal Push
3x Grasp of Darkness
3x Traverse the Ulvenwald
1x Ruinous Path - Definitely replacing with the aftermath version

Lands
4x Blooming Marsh
3x Concealed Courtyard
3x Shambling Vent
3x Hissing Quagmire
2x Evolving Wilds
4x Forest
3x Swamp
2x Plains

Sideboard (I haven't really tested this against the new Meta, but it is pretty standard)
4x Lay bare the heart
2x Painful Truths
2x Natural Obsolescence - Is very strong against Temur Tower
2x Kalitas - The mardu hoser
2x Gonti - The G/B hoser
1x Ishkanah
1x Fumigate
1x Dusk/ Dawn - I am testing this out for the mirror. It seems like it could be strong.

The deck has been performing well. The snake coupled with Nissa is devastating, and Gideon is Gideon; he wins games on his own, especially if you play him turn 3.

I want to try new Lili, but finding room would be hard. I would probably remove the black gearhulk, but more than likely put it in the sideboard.

Game one against control is kind of hard because Fatal push and most of your grasps are dead cards, but once you remove -3 fatal push -2 Nissa -1 Grasp and bring in the 4x discard and 2x painful truths it is much easier. Mardu struggles with Ishkanah and Kalitas out of the side. Replace your green hulk with Ishkanah and two of your gideons with Kalitas. Gonti is great in the mirror.

Honestly now that Cat is gone I may go back to old school delirium. That deck was solid against Mardu. This version gets its strength from being able to curve Nissa and Gideon coupled with removal.

Typhus733
Aug 30, 2008

YeehawMcKickass posted:

Soo, if you're interested AMA cause that's literally my 75 that some amazing person copied and took to a 5-0 finish in a league.

Mentor used to be in there but as much it's literally the card I originally tried to build a deck around, I found after a good year and a half of trying he's just more entertaining than good in modern (though you could say the same about the deck as a whole)

When Fatal Push was released, Path got pushed out for consistency. You already have a billion ways to kill everything and this deck can be so drat greedy if you let it. Ask me what it feels like to get double Spreading Seas'd. On the subject of mana, the mana base isn't final to me. I think one Foundry should be another Blackcleave Cliffs at the least but I only own two.

Forked bolt lets you kill a noble/bob/thalia and dome them, kill two of the above, or just dome them for two more. This deck loves tools that can play multiple roles and/or get you a 2-for-1. It can also shift to just straight burning out your opponent pretty quick. God knows I've wanted to find a way to jam in Snaps for like ever just to bolt-snap-bolt people.

I can't take credit for the two Swiftspears, saw that tech in a video of the bloodmoon/Abrupt Decay version, gave it a try and liked it. I don't know the original guy's logic but I think it's to help keep a critical mass of instants/sorceries while keeping a super low to the ground threat available. I've tried four before (though not in this build specifically) and found I'd sometimes have too many dudes but not enough payoff to get them there.

Also the sideboard was a last minute thrown together pile of "things I can maybe use possibly."

What do you think of fitting in lili's? I don't have any to test with and feel like some number of lotv would make the deck's somewhat iffy matchups better.

I would love any other comments, questions, and suggestions! This has been my baby for several years now and I love any opportunity to improve it!

Typhus733 fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Apr 30, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

DangerDongs posted:

I was asked to post my Standard Abzan list, so here it is.

How does this do against Torrential Gearhulk decks? I feel I need to carry spells to take them out.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

BizarroAzrael posted:

How does this do against Torrential Gearhulk decks? I feel I need to carry spells to take them out.

Pretty well actually. Game one is harder because of dead Fatal Push though, but that is only three cards and a lot of decks run Push also.
You can put enough pressure on early enough with creatures and transgress / lay bare heart to force them to react, and then you land a Gideon which is usually game. Play your tireless tracker only when you can play a land right after for the 2 for 1. Also if you are ever able to land either Sorin or Ob you are in very good shape, because those decks have a hard time dealing with planeswalkers (Jeskai becoming a thing again with Cast Out may change this), and a lot of their cards that could deal with your walkers often have to be used up on your little creatures.

Vs Torrential Gearhulk decks I like to
-3 Fatal Push
-1 Nissa
-1 Nissa (on play) Or servant (on draw)
-1 Grasp

+4 Discard
+2 Painful Truths

If they are playing Tower variants an extra
- 2x Grasp
+2 Natural Obsolescence

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

I took a largely unmodified (I added some cycling lands main and a couple of Hazoret board) U/R emerge deck to FNM last week and went 3-1. Then that SCG happened and I want to punch magic players. Which is honestly a fairly good policy sometimes, kinda like punching Nazis.

There's a TON of stuff that happened at the SCG I don't agree with:
Removing Fiery Temper from the deck was possibly the dumbest thing everyone did. Yes, it's a bit mana intensive sometimes, yes hard casting it sucks sometimes. But sometimes you just gotta kill a Gideon that came down to crew a Heart (bonus points if you're hitting the axe/temper one two punch), make them waste mana on a scrounger recursion, blow up a ballista, or just go for their face because they're at 2 or some poo poo.
Bloodrage Brawler is bad because it pretty much just turns on removal (I'm looking at you here, Fatal Push). I don't care that it's a discard effect with a pretty good body attached (we've come a long way from Balduvian Horde). I enjoy leaving a player with totally dead cards. Yes, Revolt enabled Push can get some of your stuff, but it's all crap that comes back so it's not a problem.
Speaking of cycling, the complete lack of bicycle lands in the deck just astounds me. I'm not saying you need to run eight of them, but four to five is great for a turn one play (which incidentally allows you to cast your Amalgams) and being able to cycle later on is fine. It's a bit greedy, but toss the motherfuckers if you see too many of them.
Drake Haven in the side? Quit being cute. This isn't the deck for this. Even with Fevered Visions in the 75 haven is a do nothing play on turn three
Disallow in the side is bleh. You tend to not care about triggers too much and the deck is mana hungry enough that 1UU is ouch. Just run Negate to get Gideon/Heart/pump spells/Marvel.

Things I did agree with:
Fevered Visions is a card I love, but the meta is a bit too aggro for this right now, the full grip in the sideboard for midrange/control matchups is perfect. I may consider a 2/2 split later on.
Reduce to Rubble as a three of is a spicy, mini EDF of a meatball and as soon as I have enough of them I plan on tapping people down SO HARD.
The singleton Wretched Gryff to get an extra K-Return enabler is pretty smart and something I considered doing at several points. It's worth a shot.

So I put this together for if I make FNM tomorrow night:

Deck: U/R emerge

//Creatures
4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
1 Wretched Gryff

//Spells
4 Cathartic Reunion
1 Reduce // Rubble
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice

//Lands
4 Island
4 Mountain
3 Canyon Slough
2 Fetid Pools
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
1 Fiery Temper
3 Magma Spray
2 Negate
1 Release the Gremlins
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Fevered Visions

Display deck statistics

If I can get the Reduce // Rubble in time, I'll the other two in main, and move the Nahiri's Wrath to the board in place of a Dispel and Release the Gremlins.

Bloodrage Brawler being run in the SCG decks actually brought up a point for me. They're looking for that bit of discard. I'm running black bicycle lands right now that allow for some light splashing. This makes Collective Brutality a somewhat viable board/splash option, and maaaaaaaaaybe a singleton Cut to Ribbons. Not something I want to try just yet though, I want to give my changes for this week some time to coalesce.

Then again, I could just put together a Marvel variant or some poo poo. Maybe that Bant list so I can run Gideon.

YeehawMcKickass fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 5, 2017

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
How do we feel about maindecking Dissenter's Deliverence in standard right now? I might take one or two, it seems like it will be relevant more often than not right now? I feel the choice is between maining that or sideboarding Appetite for the Unnatural.

Current BG Delirium list if anyone has thoughts on it:

Deck: GP Montreal 17 BG Delerium

//Main

//Land
4 Blooming Marsh
2 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
4 Hissing Quagmire
8 Swamp

//Creatures
4 Grim Flayer
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
3 Ishkanah, Grafwidow
1 Noxious Gearhulk
2 Tireless Tracker
2 Walking Ballista

//Spells
1 Dissenter's Deliverance
3 Fatal Push
2 Grapple with the Past
3 Grasp of Darkness
1 Manglehorn
2 Never // Return
1 To the Slaughter
4 Traverse the Ulvenwald
3 Vessel of Nascency
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
3 Liliana, the Last Hope

//Sideboard
1 Fatal Push
2 Gonti, Lord of Luxury
1 Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet
1 Liliana, Death's Majesty
1 Manglehorn
2 Nissa, Vital Force
2 Pick the Brain
1 Tireless Tracker
1 To the Slaughter
3 Yahenni's Expertise

Display deck statistics

It's based on a number of lists I've seen, besides Deliverence the main thing I've been considering is if I should take Ballistas or switch in something else.

DoctorOozy
Jun 22, 2013

Like you get in packing paper?
I am having reasonable success with this after trying many Jeskai builds. While cast out is nice it can be countered or bounced with commit giving a leaner UR the advantage I feel.

Essence Scatter nicely locks up GB mates early untill yiu are established and mardu gets sqeltering sunned and out valued. I may just be running hot but it's a fun list. Also turn 5 Kefnet wins games.

UR Control:

Maindeck (60)
1 Kefnet the Mindful
4 Torrential Gearhulk
3 Magma Spray
3 Censor
3 Essence Scatter
3 Harnessed Lightning
3 Negate
1 Pull from Tomorrow
3 Disallow
1 Sweltering Suns
3 Void Shatter
2 Commit
4 Glimmer of Genius
4 Aether Hub
9 Island
5 Mountain
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

Sideboard (15)
1 Dragonmaster Outcast
3 Glorybringer
2 Sphinx of the Final Word
2 Dispel
1 Magma Spray
1 Essence Scatter
1 Negate
1 Sweltering Suns
1 Aether Meltdown
2 As Foretold

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Mardu peoples, how important is Painful Truths in the board?

I think I will be the only Mardu player at my store playing against a field of control, a Marvel deck, 2 (maybe budget zombie decks), and the riff raff aggro decks such vampires and G/B energery.

I am not maindecking any declarations. And am basically running Andrew Jessup's list from SCG http://sales.starcitygames.com//dec...p?DeckID=113156
but -1 Heart -2 Ballista +3 Veteran Motorist, and some land tweaks.

SB:
2 Nahiri
1 Ob
1 Sorin
1 Oath of Lili
2 Dec in Stone
2 Fumigate
3 Transgress
1 Dispossess
1 Anguished unmaking

For control:
- 4 Fatal Push -1 Cut -1 Heart -1 Thalia
+3 Transgress, Dispossess, Ob, Sorin, Anguished Unmaking

Zombies:
+2 Declaration in Stone +2 Fumigate +1 Oath of Lili +2 Nahiri +1 Ob / Sorin +1 Anguished unmaking
-4 Toolcraft -4 Screapheap -2 Veteran Motorist

G/B
+2 Nahiri, Ob, Sorin, +2 Fumigate, + Oath of Lili, Anguished unmaking (Maybe declaration in stone; it seems kind of bad, and this is where normally it would be an extra Oath and Release)

I am kind of contesting to Marvel in hopes that the control players will knock him out, and know how to play around his sideboard. I also removed release the gremlins, because the one deck that it is very good against is G/B and Mardu, and as far as I know there is only one really strong G/B player in the room.

If you play or have a lot of experience playing against Mardu I would really appreciate opinions.

Edit: My sideboard shake up is a concession to Zombies existence. Maybe 2 Declaration in stones and 1 anguished unmaking is unnecessary?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
Am I crazy for adding Dynavolt Towers to Jund Gods? It seems to give it more game against Zombies and against aggro matchups. I'm slowly leaning towards more Aethersphere Harvester over Heart of Kiran, too.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
AS FORETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

1 Vendilion Clique
3 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope

4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
1 Cryptic Command
2 Damnation
4 Fatal Push
4 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Remand
1 Restore Balance
4 Serum Visions
1 Spell Snare

1 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
4 Flooded Strand
1 Godless Shrine
1 Hallowed Fountain
3 Island
4 Polluted Delta
2 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
1 Disenchant
1 Dispel
1 Esper Charm
2 Negate
2 Path to Exile
2 Rest in Peace
2 Thoughtseize
1 Seachrome Coast
3 Stony Silence

I brought this up in the general thread a couple weeks ago, but every time I look at where Modern is at lately, I think U/B is much better suited for control than U/W. But, I cannot argue how good U/W's sideboard options are. So, I decided to try to have my cake and eat it, too. The one thing I like about U/B's walker finishers is that unlike Elspeth, I don't have to pay 6 mana for them, meaning I can shave a land or two and play more interaction. My true list would run 3 x Liliana, the Last Hope, but I only have two at the moment.

Anywho, thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
So this thread is mostly dead but I need some advice on manabase.

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
3 Fortified Village
1 Mountain
2 Needle Spires
1 Plains
2 Timber Gorge

//Spells
3 Aethersphere Harvester
4 Attune with Aether
2 Blossoming Defense
2 Cast Out
3 Declaration in Stone
2 Dynavolt Tower
2 Harnessed Lightning

//Creatures
4 Bristling Hydra
2 Glorybringer
3 Hazoret the Fervent
2 Longtusk Cub
2 Rhonas the Indomitable
4 Servant of the Conduit
4 Voltaic Brawler

//Sideboard
SB: 2 Blessed Alliance
SB: 1 Cast Out
SB: 1 Cut // Ribbons
SB: 1 Declaration in Stone
SB: 3 Incendiary Flow
SB: 2 Lifecrafter's Bestiary
SB: 2 Prowling Serpopard
SB: 1 Radiant Flames
SB: 2 Sweltering Suns

That is my current list. Note the budget mana right now. If I wanted to upgrade the same list to a good landbase with no limit on budget, what would work for 21 lands and 4 Attune with Aether?

I'm thinking:
4 Aether Hub
3 Inspiring Vantage
2 Cinder Glade
1 Game Trail
2 Fortified Village
2 Needle Spires
5 Forest
1 Plains
1 Mountain

Sources:
Green - 14
Red - 13
White - 12

I have no experience doing this kind of thing so I'm a little lost. Any advice?

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

YeehawMcKickass posted:

I took a largely unmodified (I added some cycling lands main and a couple of Hazoret board) U/R emerge deck to FNM last week and went 3-1. Then that SCG happened and I want to punch magic players. Which is honestly a fairly good policy sometimes, kinda like punching Nazis.

There's a TON of stuff that happened at the SCG I don't agree with:
Removing Fiery Temper from the deck was possibly the dumbest thing everyone did. Yes, it's a bit mana intensive sometimes, yes hard casting it sucks sometimes. But sometimes you just gotta kill a Gideon that came down to crew a Heart (bonus points if you're hitting the axe/temper one two punch), make them waste mana on a scrounger recursion, blow up a ballista, or just go for their face because they're at 2 or some poo poo.
Bloodrage Brawler is bad because it pretty much just turns on removal (I'm looking at you here, Fatal Push). I don't care that it's a discard effect with a pretty good body attached (we've come a long way from Balduvian Horde). I enjoy leaving a player with totally dead cards. Yes, Revolt enabled Push can get some of your stuff, but it's all crap that comes back so it's not a problem.
Speaking of cycling, the complete lack of bicycle lands in the deck just astounds me. I'm not saying you need to run eight of them, but four to five is great for a turn one play (which incidentally allows you to cast your Amalgams) and being able to cycle later on is fine. It's a bit greedy, but toss the motherfuckers if you see too many of them.
Drake Haven in the side? Quit being cute. This isn't the deck for this. Even with Fevered Visions in the 75 haven is a do nothing play on turn three
Disallow in the side is bleh. You tend to not care about triggers too much and the deck is mana hungry enough that 1UU is ouch. Just run Negate to get Gideon/Heart/pump spells/Marvel.

Things I did agree with:
Fevered Visions is a card I love, but the meta is a bit too aggro for this right now, the full grip in the sideboard for midrange/control matchups is perfect. I may consider a 2/2 split later on.
Reduce to Rubble as a three of is a spicy, mini EDF of a meatball and as soon as I have enough of them I plan on tapping people down SO HARD.
The singleton Wretched Gryff to get an extra K-Return enabler is pretty smart and something I considered doing at several points. It's worth a shot.

So I put this together for if I make FNM tomorrow night:

Deck: U/R emerge

//Creatures
4 Advanced Stitchwing
4 Elder Deep-Fiend
4 Prized Amalgam
4 Stitchwing Skaab
1 Wretched Gryff

//Spells
4 Cathartic Reunion
1 Reduce // Rubble
2 Nahiri's Wrath
3 Fiery Temper
4 Kozilek's Return
3 Lightning Axe
3 Tormenting Voice

//Lands
4 Island
4 Mountain
3 Canyon Slough
2 Fetid Pools
2 Sanctum of Ugin
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Wandering Fumarole

//Sideboard
2 Dispel
1 Fiery Temper
3 Magma Spray
2 Negate
1 Release the Gremlins
2 Hazoret the Fervent
4 Fevered Visions

Display deck statistics

If I can get the Reduce // Rubble in time, I'll the other two in main, and move the Nahiri's Wrath to the board in place of a Dispel and Release the Gremlins.

Bloodrage Brawler being run in the SCG decks actually brought up a point for me. They're looking for that bit of discard. I'm running black bicycle lands right now that allow for some light splashing. This makes Collective Brutality a somewhat viable board/splash option, and maaaaaaaaaybe a singleton Cut to Ribbons. Not something I want to try just yet though, I want to give my changes for this week some time to coalesce.

Then again, I could just put together a Marvel variant or some poo poo. Maybe that Bant list so I can run Gideon.

How are these changes working for you right now? I'm taking the deck to a PPTQ tomorrow and I have been playing with 1reduce in the main and 2 in the side. I just fukkkin love Fevered Visions, but I'm assuming Marvel is on the upswing.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Sorry, been out so I know this is late.

The Reduce//Rubble package got pushed to three and it was probably the first thing I sideboard out because of the matchups I ran up against that FNM. U/R control, U/R Control, Mono B zombies, Jeskai control. I honestly should have had Visions in the main because of how much drat control I ran into.

Bicycle lands are good, but you only want like 4-5.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

AlternateNu posted:

AS FORETOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLD!

I brought this up in the general thread a couple weeks ago, but every time I look at where Modern is at lately, I think U/B is much better suited for control than U/W. But, I cannot argue how good U/W's sideboard options are. So, I decided to try to have my cake and eat it, too. The one thing I like about U/B's walker finishers is that unlike Elspeth, I don't have to pay 6 mana for them, meaning I can shave a land or two and play more interaction. My true list would run 3 x Liliana, the Last Hope, but I only have two at the moment.

Anywho, thoughts? Comments? Critiques?

what happens with this deck when you replace all of the As Foretolds with Snapcaster mages? i get the joke about casting free Ancestral Recalls the rest of the game if it lives/resolves, but i'd really play a bunch of games with snapcasters in that slot and see if that or the three mana do-nothing wins more games. I'm not being glib about that, I really do not know the answer. i suspect the optimal snapcaster build has fewer JVPs and probably some more cryptics or something

fake edit: like, I think you want to go whole hog on this strategy if you're going to do it. i don't *think* as foretold even nets you that much mana because all of your cards are so efficient you can cast them anyway. i guess build-your-own force of will is kind of cool so you can tap out for a planeswalker? i dunno. as foretold is a weird card.

real edit: if the point is to play noted cool card As Foretold, then I probably want fewer JVPs and even more impactful walkers/permanents that you can tap out for and protect with free counter magic off your as foretold

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I got a chance to try the Modern Event Deck and it's basically everything I want in a deck (ie: modern B/W token generation and buff stacking). Are there any obvious strictly better upgrades to it since it was printed? I'm thinking of swapping out the Sword of Feast and Famine for an Obelisk of Urd, and the Cities of Brass seem really odd for a two-color deck, but I don't know what to replace them with.

Kite Pride Worldwide fucked around with this message at 08:09 on May 30, 2017

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

I've been out of the loop for a while, but I got a chance to try the Modern Event Deck and it's basically everything I want in a deck (ie: modern B/W token generation and buff stacking). Are there any obvious strictly better upgrades to it since it was printed? I'm thinking of swapping out the Sword of Feast and Famine for an Obelisk of Urd, and the Cities of Brass seem really odd for a two-color deck, but I don't know what to replace them with.

http://mtgtop8.com/event?e=15570&d=295031&f=MO

That event deck needs some powerful upgrading

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Kite Pride Worldwide posted:

The 4 Mana BW Sorins are also a decent first step

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

what happens with this deck when you replace all of the As Foretolds with Snapcaster mages? i get the joke about casting free Ancestral Recalls the rest of the game if it lives/resolves, but i'd really play a bunch of games with snapcasters in that slot and see if that or the three mana do-nothing wins more games. I'm not being glib about that, I really do not know the answer. i suspect the optimal snapcaster build has fewer JVPs and probably some more cryptics or something

fake edit: like, I think you want to go whole hog on this strategy if you're going to do it. i don't *think* as foretold even nets you that much mana because all of your cards are so efficient you can cast them anyway. i guess build-your-own force of will is kind of cool so you can tap out for a planeswalker? i dunno. as foretold is a weird card.

real edit: if the point is to play noted cool card As Foretold, then I probably want fewer JVPs and even more impactful walkers/permanents that you can tap out for and protect with free counter magic off your as foretold

You kind of right regarding half-measures. The card just isn't worth it unless you're going to get some real value off it. So, I streamlined the list a bit. Even if my spells are naturally efficient, I still think you get a lot from being able to cast them for free on your opponent's turn while being able to refill at least once or twice.

4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
1 Ashiok, Nightmare Weaver
2 Cryptic Command
4 Fatal Push
1 Go for the Throat
3 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Liliana of the Veil
2 Liliana, the Last Hope
2 Remand
3 Restore Balance
4 Serum Visions
2 Thoughtseize
1 Vapor Snag

2 Creeping Tar Pit
4 Darkslick Shores
3 Flooded Strand
1 Ghost Quarter
2 Island
4 Polluted Delta
3 Swamp
2 Tolaria West
2 Watery Grave

Sideboard:
3 Ceremonious Rejection
1 Damnation
1 Dispel
2 Grafdigger's Cage
1 Inquisition of Kozilek
2 Negate
3 Surgical Extraction
2 Thoughtseize

No creatures save a pair of Jace that I wouldn't put on the field unless I can protect them for a turn to flip them. PW finishers and just value coming out of the ears. I went to 3 Restore Balance because it is the best card against creature decks even if I pull As Foretold late.

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Grimey Drawer
This is a standard budget deck I've been toying with for a few days that has been performing better than expected. I thought it was a fun deck to pilot, so I figured I would share.

The main goal is to string together several cheap artifacts, either to trigger Reckless Fireweaver, or to feed to Ravenous Intruder. The artifacts were selected specifically to draw through your library as cheaply as possible and paired with Pia's Revolution, give the opponent the choice between taking 3 damage and allowing you to continue digging for ammunition.

Since it's a three color deck, I opted to put a couple mana-fixers in to smooth things out. Renegade Map allows you to dig for any colors you are missing and Prophetic Prism draws a card on cast and can fix mana in a pinch. I've also included Aether Hub, but between Renegade Map and Prophetic Prism, they rarely come into use.

For support, I've included Foundry Inspector to reduce the casting cost of the Implements and Renegade Map to zero, which can result in unlimited cycling of Implements if you have a Ravenous Intruder out. Contraband Kingpin, the deck's namesake, is included to expedite your search for the key pieces of the deck while also being a decent defender.

I've toyed with the idea of subbing in Key to the City for use with Ravenous Intruder or throwing in a Marionette Master as a potential finisher, but I figured I would play it as is for a while first.

Deck: Contraband

//Lands
4 Aether Hub
5 Island
8 Mountain
5 Swamp

//Spells
4 Implement of Combustion
4 Implement of Ferocity
4 Implement of Improvement
3 Pia's Revolution
4 Prophetic Prism
4 Renegade Map

//Creatures
4 Contraband Kingpin
3 Foundry Inspector
4 Ravenous Intruder
4 Reckless Fireweaver

Display deck statistics

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

NofrikinfuN posted:

This is a standard budget deck I've been toying with for a few days that has been performing better than expected. I thought it was a fun deck to pilot, so I figured I would share.

The main goal is to string together several cheap artifacts, either to trigger Reckless Fireweaver, or to feed to Ravenous Intruder. The artifacts were selected specifically to draw through your library as cheaply as possible and paired with Pia's Revolution, give the opponent the choice between taking 3 damage and allowing you to continue digging for ammunition.

Since it's a three color deck, I opted to put a couple mana-fixers in to smooth things out. Renegade Map allows you to dig for any colors you are missing and Prophetic Prism draws a card on cast and can fix mana in a pinch. I've also included Aether Hub, but between Renegade Map and Prophetic Prism, they rarely come into use.

For support, I've included Foundry Inspector to reduce the casting cost of the Implements and Renegade Map to zero, which can result in unlimited cycling of Implements if you have a Ravenous Intruder out. Contraband Kingpin, the deck's namesake, is included to expedite your search for the key pieces of the deck while also being a decent defender.

I've toyed with the idea of subbing in Key to the City for use with Ravenous Intruder or throwing in a Marionette Master as a potential finisher, but I figured I would play it as is for a while first.

Display deck statistics

I like the more combo-ish idea of using Sram and/or Paradoxical Outcome and all of the 0 cost equipment in BfZ and SoI. You can draw most of your deck, and recasting all the equipment for free pinging with Fireweaver. At the very least, I don't think Kingpin is a very good card in the deck, and he's your only black card.

Here's an idea for a Modern Combo deck. A guy at my LGS and I were discussing the idea, so I thought I'd put it on paper.

As Kiki-Jiki Foretold
4 Ancestral Vision
4 As Foretold
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Faithless Looting
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
3 Living End
4 Manamorphose
1 Pact of Negation
1 Pestermite
4 Serum Visions
4 Simian Spirit Guide
2 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
1 Wheel of Fate

1 Arid Mesa
3 Island
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Mountain
4 Scalding Tarn
1 Shivan Reef
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents

It is a U/R combo deck that tries to cycle through the deck as quickly as possible, dumping Kiki-Jiki and a Exarch or Pestermite in the grave, then bring them back with Living End off an As Foretold. It can theoretically kill turn one if you manage to draw into all four Simian Spirit Guides. Standard graveyard hate doesn't completely ruin you because you can pull off the EoT Exarch turn 3 into a Simian-ramped Kiki-Jiki for the win without even using As Foretold or the grave. You can very often kill by or before turn 4. Fewer people are packing bolts these days, and Push doesn't kill either part of the combo without a fetch or other sac effect involved.

Plus, it feels like it should be fairly resilient to early hand disruption, but of course, it needs a whole lot of testing.

I'm debating right now on whether I should even bother with Snap since it is kind of slow. Perhaps swap him out for a couple Cathartic Reunions? I feel he'd be good in games where I can't combo off immediately, and he's just more value grind off of As Foretold if I need it.

Edit: Swapped Snap for Vice President Jace.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 19, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

snapcaster seems really bad here with only 9 targets. i'd play more pacts before cathartic reunion

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

snapcaster seems really bad here with only 9 targets. i'd play more pacts before cathartic reunion

The problem with Pact is it is a dead card outside the turn I'm combing off. I could see having one or two more in the sideboard for control decks or decks that are naturally in a good position to disrupt me in the middle of the combo, but more than one or two mainboard seems way overkill since I'll almost never be able to pay the pact cost afterwards. Honestly, I imagine I'll be sideboarding the one I have out a lot against linear aggro strategies like (non-bant) Company and Shadow decks.

Edit: Now that I look at it, Jace, Vryn's Prodigy is probably a better fit than either Snap or Cathartic Reunion. It allows early card filtering, should flip fairly easily, and can cast a Living End from the grave through As Foretold once flipped. Hell, if nothing else, it can eat early removal they may be holding for Exarch/Kiki-Jiki.

AlternateNu fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jun 19, 2017

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

yeah JVP seems great

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
more pacts would be good since you can dump anything you don't need in the grave

it would suck to get kiki path'd on activation

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Would it be kosher to ask about Amonkhet-only formats? My local group is coming to the end our of Amonkhet sealed league and I'm actually doing pretty well with my black/green big dude deck against most everyone except control decks. There's a couple of Blue/Red "nothing but counters and burns" decks that swept people running similar decks to mine so I was looking for...play style and construction tips against them? I'd like to not get bulldozed on my way out of the tournament if I can help it.

Anyway, my biggest problems have been trying to get around never ending counters or burn spells keeping my board clean, or getting knocked out by angler drakes I only have so many stinging shots for.

YeehawMcKickass
Jan 2, 2003

Dr. Red Ranger posted:

Would it be kosher to ask about Amonkhet-only formats? My local group is coming to the end our of Amonkhet sealed league and I'm actually doing pretty well with my black/green big dude deck against most everyone except control decks. There's a couple of Blue/Red "nothing but counters and burns" decks that swept people running similar decks to mine so I was looking for...play style and construction tips against them? I'd like to not get bulldozed on my way out of the tournament if I can help it.

Anyway, my biggest problems have been trying to get around never ending counters or burn spells keeping my board clean, or getting knocked out by angler drakes I only have so many stinging shots for.

Block isn't really played too much anymore, but it sounds like you're playing a deck that's just super weak to the U/R control deck the format can build. Without seeing specific builds, you need threats that are super hard to remove or can easily be redeployed enough to over stress their resources.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
As I understand it, our format is apparently weird because it's basically a sealed+three drafts to make a full deck limited hybrid? I haven't played in over a decade but some local friends wanted something to do and there you go. Everyone plays everyone else once in best-of-3 games to earn tourney points based on how many wins you had (2/0 3 points, 2/1 2 points, 1/2 one and so on). You can play around with deck composition between meetings but once you sit down with someone deck and sideboard are set in stone until best of 3 happens.

So here's my decklist as of playing a W/G/U pseudo control/ croc+drake beatdown deck. I've been playing around with the hand generator and I feel like I need more bodies just so I have a more consistent early game. Shed Weakness is cool for surviving some burns and all but too many toys instead of bodies on the table is an easy way to get choked out, in my limited experience.

Deck: Untitled Deck

//Lands
4 Evolving Wilds
9 Forest
10 Swamp (I know I need to rebalance the lands here)

//Spells
1 Cartouche of Ambition
3 Cartouche of Strength
1 Destined // Lead
1 Gift of Paradise
2 Haze of Pollen
1 Lay Bare the Heart
1 Mouth // Feed
1 Rhonas's Monument
1 Splendid Agony
2 Stinging Shot
2 Supernatural Stamina

//Creatures
1 Baleful Ammit
1 Bone Picker
1 Channeler Initiate
2 Crocodile of the Crossing
4 Decimator Beetle
2 Defiant Greatmaw
2 Doomed Dissenter
2 Exemplar of Strength
2 Hooded Brawler
2 Scaled Behemoth
2 Wasteland Scorpion

Display deck statistics

So far in my meta my record is
2/0 against a B/G mirror, B/R aggro, G/R aggro, and W/B Zombies
2/1 against W/U Temmet+Aven Wind guide token party, and a better B/G mirror
1/2 against Hapatra+Ifnir counter machine that I mana starved on twice (:argh:)
0/2 against B/U/W Angler Drakes and flying Scaled Behemoth madness.

My remaining opponents are another B/G I'm not worried about, another B/R aggro deck, and two U/R control style decks I AM worried about. Not entirely sure about their contents, but the one I have seen in action is literally just four Essence Scatter/Cancel/Magma Spray/etc. and just stalls out your turns until their 23/4 Enigma Drake or Approach of the Second Suns comes out. My B/G mirrors all got brutally swept by that one and I'm not happy with the idea of going out on bad losses after suffering through multiple half hour games I can't win. I'm even considering rebuilding the deck with as many Unburdens and white embalm creatures as I can cram in just to try and outnumber his counters.

EDIT: I really wanted one of those dang cat snakes but alas.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Jun 19, 2017

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

myDad posted:

more pacts would be good since you can dump anything you don't need in the grave

it would suck to get kiki path'd on activation

Alright. Here's an updated version:

Deck: As Kiki-Jiki Foretold

//Main
4 Ancestral Vision
1 Arid Mesa
4 As Foretold
4 Deceiver Exarch
4 Faithless Looting
2 Island
1 Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
3 Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker
3 Living End
2 Manamorphose
1 Misty Rainforest
3 Mountain
2 Pact of Negation
2 Pestermite
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Serum Visions
1 Shivan Reef
3 Simian Spirit Guide
4 Spirebluff Canal
4 Steam Vents
4 Thought Scour

Display deck statistics

I decided I could shave a land to up my number of early cantrips. Two Manamorphose went away along with a Simian Spirit Guide and a Jace, VP for 4 Thought Scour and a second Pact of Negation. Considering I have no other removal in the deck, I like that Living End can, in a pinch, act as a one-time board wipe.

Now it's time to work on the side board.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Well, my ultra-budget modern deck arrived:

I've been playing it a bunch on MODO with Paths, Blinkmoths and a Gavony, but this version honestly isn't all that different.

It's surprisingly resilient, with quite a few instant speed token producers and in the late game you end up with a bunch of enchantments sitting around and so any top deck is 2 5/5s. Plus Sram's Expertise playing Tempered Steel is pretty satisfying, especially if you already have a 2-4 tokens in play.

Deck: Tempered Petroglyphs

//Lands
1 Forest
14 Plains
4 Stirring Wildwood
4 Evolving Wilds

//Creatures
4 Memnite
4 Origin Spellbomb
4 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
4 Servo Exhibition
4 Master's Call
4 Sram's Expertise

//Payoff
4 Tempered Steel
4 Muraganda Petroglyphs

//Other
1 Shrine of Loyal Legions
1 Cranial Plating
3 Journey to Nowhere

Display deck statistics

gonadic io fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Jun 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
Turned a draft deck into a Standard deck the other week, did okay. Back playing after a 6 year absence, so I'm still catching up with whats in the current standard legal sets, let alone what works best.

Deck: Zombie Mill on the Plains

//Lands
3 Cradle of the Accursed
1 Mortuary Mire
9 Plains
10 Swamp

//Spells
1 Behind the Scenes
1 Bontu's Monument
3 Cartouche of Solidarity
1 Embalmer's Tools
2 In Oketra's Name
1 Liliana's Mastery
1 Oketra's Monument
1 Shamble Back
1 Start // Finish
1 Supernatural Stamina

//Creatures
1 Angel of Sanctions
2 Anointer Priest
2 Binding Mummy
1 Blighted Bat
1 Crow of Dark Tidings
1 Doomed Dissenter
1 Drana's Emissary
2 Fan Bearer
2 Festering Mummy
1 Oketra the True
2 Oketra's Attendant
1 Plague Belcher
1 Restoration Gearsmith
1 Rottenheart Ghoul
2 Sparring Mummy
1 Thraben Foulbloods
2 Trueheart Duelist
1 Unwavering Initiate
2 Voracious Null

Display deck statistics

The milling effects from the Embalmer's Tools was a huge help, but with only one in the deck it didn't happen consistently enough. Not including the black Trial card, or any Trials for that matter was an error. Literally left them on the table at home. Overstuffed by 3 cards too, I was in a rush.

• Locked thread