Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

As a kid, I really loved point-and-click adventures but I never had the patience to see them through. I think Kings Quest 5 was the only one I finished without a guide?

GOG Has some killer stuff on sale, so I'm going to take the IZ on an adventure through the past by playing some of the best adventure/mystery games ever made.

Planned playthrough order:

The first Cthulu game. I dont think I need to explain who Lovecraft is or whatever. I wont be playing the sequel (Prisoner of Ice) due to a crippling bug where the ISO being mounted forces the game to see your entire HD as a cdrom and refuses to write saves.

The Gabriel Knight series was one of the better-written and more serious entries of the early point-and-click genre. This also takes place where in New Orleans where I grew up so I'm excited to see how that plays out

Sequel to GK. This one came on CD and has that weird Sega CD era FMV gameplay that I cant wait to dive into.

Ill leave it at this for now. If I actually manage to finish these three in a reasonable time and there is interest I'll do GK3 and (HOPEFULLY) Policenauts/Snatcher

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

The music/voice acting in this first Cthulhu game are amazing

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
one time my friends were describing a drinking game called kings cup, and I thought they were taking about an adventure game and I said "Oh yeah that point and click adventure game?" And they've been owning me for it ever since

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

frank.club posted:

one time my friends were describing a drinking game called kings cup, and I thought they were taking about an adventure game and I said "Oh yeah that point and click adventure game?" And they've been owning me for it ever since

lmfao

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

reminds me of the friend weve been owning for 8 years now because when we were talking about black label society he chimed in how much he loves their album blood, sugar, sex, magic

Unexpected Raw Anime
Oct 9, 2012

Can't take screens so here's my first session notes

Thoughts so far

Obviously its an old game but only a couple of things are really annoying: theres a button to skip dialogue once youve heard it spoken (the first version didnt have voice acting) so the text is on a really long delay but sometimes when you skip it it skips the entire rest of the conversation and you cant get people to repeat stuff

Unexpected Raw Anime fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Apr 27, 2017

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Good luck OP. Point and click games are cool to me as a relic but I've never been able to actually play them. I really liked the aesthetic of I Have No Mouth etc but it's hard to actually learn the weird rhythm of these old games

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I always liked Quest for Glory, myself. Oh, and the zombie in the beginning of Space Quest 4 scarred me when I was 6 so I still have trouble playing through the opening area because I don't want to run into it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I played the longest journey which was excellent and I recommend it highly. The sequel was a horrible 360 port but people said the story was good. I couldn't stand to play more than an hour of it myself.

Also, kings quest 5 is the only one I could beat as a kid, too.

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Larry Parrish posted:

I played the longest journey which was excellent and I recommend it highly. The sequel was a horrible 360 port but people said the story was good. I couldn't stand to play more than an hour of it myself.

Also, kings quest 5 is the only one I could beat as a kid, too.

The longest journey for you is from floor to chair lol

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I wish I could wipe my brain and play Maniac Mansion for the first time again. There's so many different ways to beat that game and I know them all

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Black Baby Goku posted:

Gah!

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Larry Parrish is a small man. Very small. He's so small, that, well hell, guys just take my word for it lol. He's extremely small. And imagine how small his dick is, not in proportion to him but just in general lmfao. That's how small this guy is, it's like... So he can't get up in the chair easily, due to the chair being very big compared to him. They don't make computer desks and chairs with people that are as small as Larry in mind lmfao. It's actually kind of sad really. I bet he faces major discrimination, due to smallness.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

:lolplant:

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Black Baby Goku posted:

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
If you guys like point and clicks you should totally play Thimbleweed park, it's really good, made by Ron Gilbert and Gary Winnick.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/569860/Thimbleweed_Park/

A CRUNK BIRD
Sep 29, 2004
I really like the Sam & Max game, and I also love Grim Fandango

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

frank.club posted:

lmao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
I've been thinking about Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis a lot lately OP. I need to replay it again..... I feel like I did all the branches as a kid but the only one I really remember clearly is the submarine one (which is bad rear end)

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010

Black Baby Goku posted:

Wormskull posted:

Larry Parrish is a small man. Very small. He's so small, that, well hell, guys just take my word for it lol. He's extremely small. And imagine how small his dick is, not in proportion to him but just in general lmfao. That's how small this guy is, it's like... So he can't get up in the chair easily, due to the chair being very big compared to him. They don't make computer desks and chairs with people that are as small as Larry in mind lmfao. It's actually kind of sad really. I bet he faces major discrimination, due to smallness.

lmfao

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

In Training posted:

Good luck OP. Point and click games are cool to me as a relic but I've never been able to actually play them. I really liked the aesthetic of I Have No Mouth etc but it's hard to actually learn the weird rhythm of these old games

drat that's like the main genre I grew up on. When i was in 4th grade some kid at my school had a dad really into those games and i borrowed the Monkey Island trilogy and Day of the Tentacle and the Space Quest collection and poo poo. Then I learned how to pirate stuff and branched out into weird questionable titles like Freddy Pharkas, Frontier Pharmacist and The Misadventures of Willy Beamish and The Legend of Kyrandia Book 3: Malcolm's Revenge etc... fast forward to today and I'm posting in the Games Only Kids Who Got Molested Played thread.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

goferchan posted:

I've been thinking about Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis a lot lately OP. I need to replay it again..... I feel like I did all the branches as a kid but the only one I really remember clearly is the submarine one (which is bad rear end)

Fate of Atlantis was bad rear end.

I could never figure out how you got the different locations for the book though, it was almost always hidden in the same spot for me and some of the other ones had way cooler puzzles.

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdEfdITkKqM

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Black Baby Goku posted:

Wormskull posted:

Lol

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Wormskull posted:

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Kiranamos
Sep 27, 2007

Why is it called a gabriel knight mystery if the title is the beast within. I think the beast is within, mystery solved.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Kiranamos posted:

Why is it called a gabriel knight mystery if the title is the beast within. I think the beast is within, mystery solved.

LMAO!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

• Locked thread