Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Both can be correct

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
I rewatched The Return and also reread the original commentary in this thread while watching. It's interesting seeing the mixed reaction to the ending, as I think if you did a poll now the response would be more positive. I know i was pretty mixed initially but came around to liking it as i read more commentary on it.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i was kind of mixed week to week on the show, which i haven't rewatched since but i will at some point, but i remember loving the ending. it just left me with a big shocked smile on my face.

it's really rare to get that 'what in the gently caress is going on' feeling and be so pleased with it that i don't even want answers.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was watching it live with a friend and I remember getting really uncomfortable around the time Cooper is driving not-Laura to Twin Peaks. Knowing how much of the plot had still to be resolved and how long we were watching this uncomfortable silence instead of addressing any of it was when I realised the ending was going to get weird

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

The whole season feels so different on rewatch and it feels structured for that. Like that long drawn out car journey, it's completely changed when you know what's waiting for you at the end and what landmarks to expect along the way.

checkplease
Aug 17, 2006

Smellrose

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

I really don't like Inland Empire although that one scene with Laura Dern's stretched out face is scary.

But it's clearly the product of Lynch just doing a bunch of experiments with video cameras since he was excited by the tech and loving around, then loosely connecting it with a frame story. He even admits as much interviews about it

Lynch hasnt actually made a project that was fully initially envisaged and completed as a feature film since the 90s, given Mulholland Drive started as a tv polot

People should watch the newly restored Inland Empire as that helps with the aging tech a lot I think.

From what I’ve read, the creation of inland empire is to create a movie with cheap tech that anyone can get. But it also followed his more usual process of getting an image in his head and then when that felt right, expanding from there. It started with the scene of Laura telling the private detective guy these stories of her troubled past with her partners. Then Lynch would just film more as ideas came up and he got funding.

It’s definitely more thematically connected than by plot, but it has some powerful scenes. There’s a scene where a person is dying that has just stuck with me.

hughesta
Jun 12, 2012

i know its super duper kooper
cool like up the bitches snitches
no more blue tomorrows. you on high now, love

sinnesloeschen
Jun 4, 2011

fiiiiiiinnnne
:coolspot:

Tarnop posted:

Donnie Darko has not aged very well imo

southland tales remains perfect and unscathed

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

https://www.thewrap.com/paul-giamatti-twin-peaks-the-return-david-lynch/

Paul Giamatti was supposed to play one of the Mitchum Brothers.

Don’t get me wrong the M-Bros killed it, but I can’t help think of what we missed.

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
That deep hope-crushing disappointment that you feel when you google for David Lynch news and find a million articles from the last 24 hours, but every single one is about loving Cheetos and not a new movie or series.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

NObodyNOWHERE posted:

That deep hope-crushing disappointment that you feel when you google for David Lynch news and find a million articles from the last 24 hours, but every single one is about loving Cheetos and not a new movie or series.
lmao

He said something about appearing in The Fabelmans in return for a bag of Cheetos. Lynch rules. Protect the man at all costs :allears:

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
What year is this?

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Every year I am more and more ready to let out that scream Laura gives at the end. Perhaps I have been doing it already.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

Have just walked in on my wife trialing sunflower oil on the drape runners. Should I be concerned?

NObodyNOWHERE
Apr 24, 2007

Now we are all sons of bitches.
Hell Gem
Depends. Do you have a letterman jacket around?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

pitch a fitness posted:

Have just walked in on my wife trialing sunflower oil on the drape runners. Should I be concerned?

Just be honest with your wife about that lady at the diner, before the high school arc happens!

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
whoa there.... twin peaks wouldn't be twin peaks if anyone was honest

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

That kind of sent me down a rabbit hole of Twin Peaks stuff and I had forgotten that in the "It's yrev good to see you again old friend" scene that it opens with a distressingly disturbing moment where Mr. C tries to emulate Cooper's personality and style and it's so, so, so loving wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/5WuW0hq.mp4

Cole knows EXACTLY what he is looking at, it's so unsettling.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

pitch a fitness posted:

Don't tell her about cotton wool

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jerusalem posted:

That kind of sent me down a rabbit hole of Twin Peaks stuff and I had forgotten that in the "It's yrev good to see you again old friend" scene that it opens with a distressingly disturbing moment where Mr. C tries to emulate Cooper's personality and style and it's so, so, so loving wrong.

https://i.imgur.com/5WuW0hq.mp4

Cole knows EXACTLY what he is looking at, it's so unsettling.

The weird distortion on Mr. C's voice in that scene is so creepy. He just sounds too deep, like he thinks Coop had a different voice or something.

(When Coop's face is superimposed on everyone and announces "We Live Inside A Dream," his voice is similarly distorted)

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

good news everybody

https://twitter.com/janusfilms/status/1743365573025616348

there's also new speculation about a new secret david lynch project from Laura Dern's mother but it's even more vague and empty than usual

quote:

Do you have any intel? There were rumors at one point that maybe he had a secret movie premiering at Cannes, and that ended up not happening.

Diane Ladd: Hm, I can’t tell his business. But let me just say I just feel like the angels are talking to him. I don’t know everything for sure, but instinct says, “C’mon, David, here we go. You’re not through yet. You’ve got some destiny yet.” He honestly is one of the most pleasurable, wonderful human beings to be around. That is a real blessing.

yes folks it's january 6th and the new david lynch project rumors are already going. it's gonna be a long year

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

come on dave... we're at 77 god drat years old here

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Aye Doc posted:

it's january 6th and the new david lynch project rumors are already going.

It's just 3 hours of footage of the failed coup but with Cooper's sad face superimposed over it and an Angelo Badalamenti soundtrack.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Trump: “I hope to see all of you again—every one of you.”

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I AM GRANDO posted:

Trump: “I hope to see all of you again—every one of you.”

A bunch of people are hooting and hollering over a ridiculous airbrushed picture of a shirtless chiselled Trump with long glorious locks of blond hair and a rock-solid jawline.
Phillip Jeffries: WHO DO YOU THINK THAT IS THERE?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Jerusalem posted:

It's just 3 hours of footage of the failed coup but with Cooper's sad face superimposed over it and an Angelo Badalamenti soundtrack.

it's gonna be the cinematic version of this post

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

https://x.com/payphoneexhibit/status/1744040610494140923?s=20

Full video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDaSdAspEjw

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that

This video is nice. It sort of simulates the feeling of watching the show as it aired and living through all the fan speculation and weird theorizing... But I couldn't help but laugh at his unquestioning assurance that the reveal would obviously be in the season 1 finale. That's streaming show logic, whippersnapper!

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
jerry is labeled as sandwich guy in ep 2, even though the sandwich isn't til ep 3. you ain't fooling me, youtube rando

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

And the sandwich scene is Jerry's first appearance, right? He's back from Paris and brought his favourite baguettes

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

I do have to wonder if the video's premise is staged considering he didn't even put Leland on the board

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

A man that distraught over his daughter's death couldn't possibly be the killer!

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

He has all of his Episode 3 info up at the start of the episode 2 segment. Presumably he watched a couple in a row before recording.

I've been listening to the Nextlander Watchcast (former Gamespot/Giantbomb guys) lately as they're making their way through Season 2. One host has seen the show and is pretty knowledgeable with behind-the-scenes info. The other two are going in blind. They just got to the reveal without either of them guessing the killer. They spend about an hour on each episode, going through the scenes chronologically. I'm hoping they can stick through the end of Season 2 and get into season 3 before burning out.

It's a free podcast and they also did a few Lynch movies leading up to it.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

wa27 posted:

He has all of his Episode 3 info up at the start of the episode 2 segment. Presumably he watched a couple in a row before recording.

I've been listening to the Nextlander Watchcast (former Gamespot/Giantbomb guys) lately as they're making their way through Season 2. One host has seen the show and is pretty knowledgeable with behind-the-scenes info. The other two are going in blind. They just got to the reveal without either of them guessing the killer. They spend about an hour on each episode, going through the scenes chronologically. I'm hoping they can stick through the end of Season 2 and get into season 3 before burning out.

It's a free podcast and they also did a few Lynch movies leading up to it.
I've also been listening to this every week :) It's interesting hearing their reactions to things that happened 30+ years ago.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I saw Dune chat on the last page and just wanted to pass this on if people haven't seen it. It's a 3 hour fan edit that adds in all of the deleted scenes, plus some footage that apparently haven't been available elsewhere, and some visual enhancements. It's also recut to follow the original script as closely as possible. I watched it with a friend the other night and it owns.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faHQA_0d9Mo

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I like the version that pans over a big 80s paperback-style oil painting of the history of the Dune universe while a narrator describes the butlerian jihad and how the empire is organized. It’s just so weird and makes the movie 500 times more confusing. There’s a tv cut of Videodrome that does the same thing, but it plays the score while panning across paintings of mutated James Woods.

pitch a fitness
Mar 19, 2010

pitch a fitness posted:

It's been just over 2 weeks and those runners are noisier than ever.

Between that and seeing the "can I solve it?" video, I'm back on a rewatch. That guy's video is alright in concept & I like the angle of decoding the mystery not just from the info given but from the language of murder mystery shows. But it really seems 'content' first rather than an actual attempt, which is a bit of a shame.

Was watching episode 3 today and my daughter (15) joined with absolutely no context beyond me saying it's a show about a small town, the prom queen's been murdered, and they're trying to find out who did it. Her unprompted guesses from initial impressions were:

Ben (kind of suspicious, certainly up to something)
Leyland (bad vibes, scoffed at him bleeding on Laura's photo confirming it for her)
Bob (a lot of her going "what the hell, what the hell" & had to shut her eyes) & Mike ("I need to shut my ears too dad").

0 knowledge, 100% emotion-based decision-making & I'm sure David Lynch would be just fine with that.

discoukulele
Jan 16, 2010

Yes Sir, I Can Boogie
I just started a rewatch last night. I've only actually seen it all the way through once, but I've seen season one a couple of times.

I somehow never noticed Bob in the mirror behind Sarah at the end of the pilot when she's screaming. I think when I'd hear people mention it, I always just conflated it the moment later when she sees him behind the bed.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy 78th birthday, David Lynch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

He's 78?? Aw man, we're never getting another full length movie are we :smith: