Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I don't really know anything about economics but it's been about ten years since the last economic collapse in the US and it was less than that between the tech collapse and the housing collapse. What was before that, was it the savings and loan thing? Anyway, we are on the verge of another housing bubble collapse and another tech bubble bursting, plus the zillion dollars of student loan debt.

Are there more bubbles in recent history or is this normal? Is it a symptom of late stage capitalism?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waltJ8nVVN4

Mr. Sharps
Jul 30, 2006

The only true law is that which leads to freedom. There is no other.

stereolab is so fuckin' cool and good

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
*Trump sample Vic Berger always uses* 'S true!

llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Don't derail my thread bradley

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

llllllllll posted:

open your ears and learn to spell

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

llllllllll posted:

Mods?

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Marx observed the tendency for capitalism to have a recession about once a decade, it was the post war period and end of history phases in Europe which were the anomaly.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

bubbles are shaped like orbs

makes you think

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Yes

The 0.1% have so much money that anytime an investment comes along with better than interest returns immense amounts of money come sloshing in, distorting and inflating a bubble

Investment houses make money as they are the gatekeepers for this sorta investment, and they can use their unique privileged position to "manage" the bubble

Matt Tabbiti (sp?) likened it to taking bets as to when a watermelon tossed out of a 40 story window will hit the ground

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
The other thing to remember is that interest rates are rock bottom pretty much everywhere, so there's no money to be made in savings. The only thing to do with your money is stick it in the stock market or venture capital which is why there is so much money sloshing around in both while most people are flat loving broke.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
bubbles are fun to pop :twisted:

llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Nebakenezzer posted:

Yes

The 0.1% have so much money that anytime an investment comes along with better than interest returns immense amounts of money come sloshing in, distorting and inflating a bubble

Investment houses make money as they are the gatekeepers for this sorta investment, and they can use their unique privileged position to "manage" the bubble

Matt Tabbiti (sp?) likened it to taking bets as to when a watermelon tossed out of a 40 story window will hit the ground

Do you have a link to the Taibbi piece?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Why are we assuming tech is a bubble again

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

shovelbum posted:

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

VC has more money than they know what to do with, better continue letting them shovel it into pointless gadgets for the wealthy

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Karl Barks posted:

VC has more money than they know what to do with, better continue letting them shovel it into pointless gadgets for the wealthy

That's the only remaining consumer base?

Karl Barks
Jan 21, 1981

shovelbum posted:

That's the only remaining consumer base?

ah gently caress

llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

shovelbum posted:

Why are we assuming tech is a Bubble again, I ask, laughing nervously from the mancave (that's what we call the IT office)

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

the tech market is saturated with startups who want to make a business that does ok for a few years and then sell off to idiot venture capitalists for hundreds of millions. when at some point rich people start wising up that hey, actually these services aren't providing nearly the return we want, that sector is going to crash hard

uber will probably be the catalyst

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
there's a pop bubble thats bound to pop

too many generic brands of cola out there

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

mormonpartyboat posted:

there's a pop bubble thats bound to pop

too many generic brands of cola out there

Ive bet my life savings on Dr. Thunder winning the Generic Cola Wars

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

MikeCrotch posted:

The other thing to remember is that interest rates are rock bottom pretty much everywhere, so there's no money to be made in savings. The only thing to do with your money is stick it in the stock market or venture capital which is why there is so much money sloshing around in both while most people are flat loving broke.
oh so that's why stocks continue to go up with no visible signs of them ever going down again

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Wait, poo poo, is RC Cola considered a generic? I may have hosed up

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I just buy the sugar cane cola at the whole foods.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
the idea that there is a tech bubble is a combination of wishful thinking and resentment

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I mean, not all of tech is a bubble. A lot of the B2C stuff definitely is, though. There's a finite amount of money to be made off of advertising to the Average Joe.

llllllllll
Jan 2, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

LinYutang posted:

the idea that there is a tech bubble is a combination of wishful thinking and resentment

Can you please make more than a drive-by shitpost (use a period, Jebus Christ Dave) or at least show us your credentials as an Economist reporter?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
im shorting emulsifiers in anticipation of e-cloud driven bubble wands

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

call to action posted:

I mean, not all of tech is a bubble. A lot of the B2C stuff definitely is, though. There's a finite amount of money to be made off of advertising to the Average Joe.

not all of tech is a bubble in the same way there were people living in houses in 2008

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
:orb:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
also whats so scary about 2008, all those houses are worth like at least double what they were the day b4 the bubble popped it was a hiccup and if you didnt lose your house you made a mint

tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

capitalism has a lot more stages to go after this one, wait til you see the one with the CEOs made of pure hydrogen cyanide gas

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Would love for the housing bubble to pop before my wife and I try to buy something next spring but I'm not holding my breath.

A bubble is just an orb with a hollow interior.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

tacodaemon posted:

capitalism has a lot more stages to go after this one, wait til you see the one with the CEOs made of pure hydrogen cyanide gas

The next stage is tweets become the new monetary standard and Dril rules over all

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene
balloons are like bubbles

Finicums Wake
Mar 13, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
[w/ fingertips of both both hands frantically scanning the surface area of pig entrails,]: Reply hazy please try again :thunk:

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

It's really more like bubbles are returning to their natural frequency in the absence of macroeconomic policies designed to prevent and mitigate them. If you look at the economic history of the 19th century, it was just a long string of market panics every decade. Sometimes recessions occured within a couple years of each other.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I'm forever blowing bubbles,
Pretty bubbles in the air,
They fly so high,
Nearly reach the sky,
Then like my dreams,
They fade and die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU