Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Kashuno posted:

you can always join Genesis Mafia after this game ends

Pre-sign.

Also are sign ups still open for this one? Understand if not, very late to the party here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

##vote imgay

See everyone day 2

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Moatillata posted:

:sad:

##vote chaoslord

Something something it rhymes

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

CapitalistPig posted:

You realize if you don't make 10 posts today you gon die right?

TRUST ME I know it. Like no matter where you are or what you do make sure you get them posts in because if people lynch early because they are jerks and do it before you can make a single post you are DONE my friend.

:hfive: good lookin out

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Asiina likely scum, she did not vote imgay with me. Also this:

Asiina posted:

I would never pick Chrono Trigger because I don't like that game.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Has anything really happened yet or are most of the posts I missed more jokes? Gonna catch up after lunch, just want to set my expectations

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dick Bastardly posted:

You faked n0 results...?

He did. What is your takeaway from that?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dick Bastardly posted:

My take away is that it's scummy.

Two follow ups:

1) Why?

2) Why is that not scummy enough for a vote for you?

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dick Bastardly posted:

1. It seemed like a failed fake claim to see if a quick and easy town dunk would get going on D1.

2. I like to wait for players to respond before I vote, also why would scum take a risk on a D1 gambit like that. It's a terrible case, but it's all I've got for now.

While I disagree with your answer to 1, I can't argue if that's how you really read it or not. However, once you read it as something you think is a scum gambit, I don't understand the lack of a vote. It's D1, no LYLO. If "This looks like a scum gambit" isn't worth a vote on D1, what is? Even allowing for "I like to wait for answers", I feel like "scum gambit uncovered" should earn a vote.

I do not like this.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

That said

Bifauxnen posted:

btw I have a theory that anyone who focused more on airport chat instead of SNES music chat could be scum trying to find a different outlet for boosting their postcount, cause "just doing SNES music chat" is such an obvious thing to fear getting called out on. Also why would you not want to music chat

Moatillata posted:

I can only agree with this if you are calling tpink scum
I find this more compelling.

##vote tpink

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bifauxnen posted:

I thought "hey guys I got a n0 cop" was just some obvious joke around here

I wouldn't call it a joke per se, but it's not a serious result from Cpig. CPig uses it a lot (every game?) as a reaction test. Genuine purpose behind it as opposed to just being for laughs, I think.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Dick Bastardly posted:

I am bad and wrong. I am badong.

I misjudged you. No one who quotes Kung Pow can be scum.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tpink posted:

statistically speaking you're likely to hit town vs scum

Haven't played with you enough to know if not voting D1 is really part of your meta, but this is true for literally the entire game

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Eh, the odds are more so on d1 and vary depending on deaths as the game progresses. So I don't agree clord

If statistically speaking you are more likely to lynch scum than town, the game is over because scum are >50% of the vote. Obviously D1 has the greatest statistical chance to lynch town, but the attitude of "d1 sucks and we're just going to lynch town anyway :shrug:" becomes a self fulfilling prophecy and is not even true.

He may not be scum for that, it may be a legitimate belief he holds, but it's a bad belief.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tpink posted:

The bolded part is basically the point I was making, so I'm not really sure where we disagree.

We disagree because while what you're saying is technically true, it's like saying "The Patriots (:barf:) are much better than the Buccaneers, we should not bother playing the game because we know they will win." You still play the game. Saying "I'm not going to vote on D1 because it doesnt matter" is a bad attitude.

quote:

And do you not see how "we are going to lynch town" logically follows from "D1 has the greatest statistical chance to lynch town"?

Every day we are more likely than not to lynch town from a pure numbers point, so it logically follows that "We are going to lynch town" is true always. (There are of course corner cases like a Town SK Scum 3 man lylo, but in general this is true.)

Here was your original sentence in full.

quote:

And again, not to go all meta, but I also rarely even vote on D1 at all basically for this reason - it's a crapshoot and statistically speaking you're likely to hit town vs scum.

I think it is your sincere belief. I am just saying it is a crappy belief and self fulfills. If everyone just jokeposts and then comes together to lynch someone D1, of course you're probably going to lynch town. But scum can get caught out on D1. In an all vanilla game, the "crapshoot" doesn't get much better going from D1 to D2 if it's a game full of people with this attitude because no one puts in any effort. Coasting through the game, waiting on other people to do the work is bad.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tpink posted:

You are taking the point that we both seem to agree on -- that statistically speaking D1 has the greatest chance for a mislynch -- and spinning it out to something fairly ridiculous and beyond what I said. Obviously I am not arguing that just because every day we are more likely to hit town than not (which is generally true from a pure numbers point, all other things being equal), that means that we should just not vote ever. And I don't discourage other people from voting D1 because well, we have to end the day somehow. I am saying that for me personally I don't like making D1 votes because I try to vote based on at least some reasoning and information, and more often than not, there's just nothing nearly solid enough to warrant a vote -- again, for me -- on D1. I put in effort by at least posting and engaging, even if it's stupid jokephase during D1, because that gets people talking and all information is good information that people can look at later. By not voting D1, that doesn't mean that I am "coasting through the game, waiting on other people to do the work," as you suggest.

The bold is fair. I was being too harsh there. Sorry. Bad morning.

I still stand by the other part of it, though, in that "If everyone played that way nothing would get done." If no one felt like voting D1 because it's a crapshoot, then it really would be one, and then what? Night actions? What if it's a vanilla game?

I think voting is one of the best pieces of content that we have to judge and I think people not wanting to vote is just weird. I can understand not needing to throw you vote around and have 10 votes to your name on a day or not wanting to joke vote, but I just cant understand not wanting to vote D1. Theres no night actions to back it up, sure, but relying on night actions is a bad way to play.

That's enough mafia soapboxing from me, though.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Retro Futurist posted:

Hot take: It's actually better to hit town than scum D1.

It was you! Ok. I was really bothered because I knew someone had said this before but I couldn't remember who it was.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Mayor Glowku posted:

Sincerely thinking there's much merit in posts day one is clinical insanity.

Sincerely thinking there's no merit in posts day one is clinical insanity.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

Most d1 posting is bereft of content. It's mostly memetic, clique, meta that has to be sifted through for inconsistencies in claims or logic.

There is merit, but a lot of it is garbage.

Sure, but I'm not arguing that every D1 post is good. There's gonna be fluff. But it's also player dependent. If you get a lot of imgays, it's going to be a crap show. If you get a lot of KBs, there'll be a lot of good content. It usually works out to being in between with some content.

Choosing to read the thread because "day one :shrug:" is stupid.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Gonna be driving for most the rest of deadline. I'll see if I can convince mrs Slord to hammer out some posts for me if I think of anything

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

I'm at baseball (:razorback:) so I skimmed for now but here are my hot takes:

Stickup case looks good but nested quotes never seem to work well on phone so I would like a chance to look at it on computer before voting.

Moats picture didn't load for me so I got the big thing with the you're welcome. I'll wait to see the picture before judging the cop thinkers.

Read to me like Keane moved from "I got rb'd" to "oh yeah I targeted imgay when he got rb'd" after imgay claimed it happened to him. Seemed weird.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Well at least today being lights out means birb can't end the day early again

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Moatillata posted:

That was very entertaining and worth it

Oh no doubt, it was hilarious, but for me personally it just has made things tough because I have been :effort: about the game anyway and short days/weird work times has not helped

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Birdstrike who's scum?

Woke up at 430am for work and just got home now :rip: maybe I will actually get to post tomorrow if this day lasts more than 24 hours

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

tpink posted:

Would also vote chaos who I forgot was even in this game because he has not been posting :v:

This is true but I contend 3 game days lasting less than 24 hours when work has been hella busy for me is not my fault :v:

Ok night everyone 430 beckons again

• Locked thread