Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The show's trash. I can't stand to watch it anymore, but still somehow find it fun to find out what kind of dumb poo poo is happening.

It was fun when king Tommy killed himself because of blue balls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Oh, it started?

Was it a bunch of 3 minute scenes in different locations of dumb characters talking coyly about how they are going to betray each other?

e: interspersed with bews of course.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Ian McShane is a treasure. The episode with him and the Hound was the only one I watched from last (?) season, because I heard it had Ian McShane and the Hound. Also knew the spoiler going in, I mean who gives a poo poo really.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Skeleton King posted:

I'm not whining. I like hearing about where the show went after i stopped watching, since I dot have the time or patience to watch anymore.

I will always stand by my opinion that the show would be better without Danny and her off color eyebrows.

Her eyebrows are okay. Problem is she's a terrible actor and her plot is boring trash.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Dennis System posted:

That obnoxious dragon lady probably won't die.

Yeah, that's probably right. Just wish she'd get some sort of comeuppance for her shittiness. Anything, really. A mad bout of diarrhea would probably suffice.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Snow and Kaleesi at the Wall. His mast pink.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY
http://tindeck.com/listen/utrz

Did they do anything at all resembling the fat pink mast passage?

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 25, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A friend of mine basically just explained that whole scene as super lame and ridiculous, comparable to the Star Wars prequels.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

etalian posted:

Your friend doesn't enjoy people get turned into green scary skeletons for a few seconds

That happened in the swordfight?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I remember complaining back in season 1-2 about how cheap everything looked....if only I had known. We're basically watching LARPers running around now since none of the child actors developed into, you know, good actors.

The kid who played Joffrey was excellent though.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Evil Agita posted:

Olenna is cool as gently caress but as for the rest of what you said I can only assume you are a chick or a gay dude because lol (but yeah their acting sucks)

Danny's slave girl is way hotter than the sand snakes.

Did Grey Worm have eunuch sex with her yet?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

whoflungpoop posted:

I kinda wish I could lez out to titty snake cause im sure it must make dorne scenes bearable

It'd be easier to lez out to her cause she has really pretty hair :3: in the trailer it looks like she's taking his shirt off so maybe they worked out the mechanics

I'm sure they can figure something out.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Embarassing.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

BluesShaman posted:

Well the Hound seems to be permanently dead in the books (see A Dance with Dragons [2011]).

I'm glad he's back in the show, but making him like a new religious guy is lame.

He's implied to be alive as a gravedigger if I recall correctly from the books.

It's not outright stated though, but this really seems to be how GRRM likes writing stuff.
I wouldn't say he's particularly subtle but he seems to really have a thing for hinting (heavily or lightly) at stuff in his books rather than stating them outright. Examples include Renly being gay with Loras, Theon's dick having been cut off, Jon Snow being Ed's sister's son, and stuff like Wyman Manderly's Frey pies and the children of the forest having turned Jojen Reed into blood paste and fed it to Bran.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

If they cut off your dick... how does pissing work?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

ArmZ posted:

I would like to point out that under a strict definition eunuchs only have their balls chopped off, although the term is often colloquially used to refer to emasculation as well as castration.

I think they explicitly say that the unsullied have both their dicks and their balls sliced off.

Eunuchs can have their dicks cut off as well historically at least, and they are still called eunuchs. It's just that most often eunuchs only had their balls removed. I think part of the reason for that lies in the difficulty in carrying out the procedure and having the victim survive. In the Ottoman Empire almost all such "full" eunuchs were black and were "made" in a monastery or something in Upper Egypt if memory serves. The survival rate for the slave boys who undervent the procedure was something like ~10%

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jul 19, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I googled show Euron and he doesn't even appear to have an eyepatch. That's kind of boring.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I'm currently listening to the audio books of this series while playing crusader kings and poo poo. It's kind of amazing how many chapters opens on what the character ate for breakfast. Anyone have a top 10 list of gurm's favorite foods based on the books?

Currently I feel that onions, crabs and eels are high up there, those get mentioned alot and lovingly described. I can't remember alot of descriptions of eels being eaten, but the fattest character in the book is described multiple times as eating lots and lots of lampreys. So I figure that's kind of an endorsement.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Waltzing Along posted:

I don't think gurm has ever found a food or meal he didn't like.

that's probably true.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

aphid_licker posted:

Someone pls post an excerpt of GRRM lovingly describing an onion

It's mostly stuff like caramelized onions, onions and livers, onion soup, roast onions glazed in butter and so on. Dude really likes onions. I can understand though, onions are pretty boss.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

i'd gently caress the interpreter lady

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Is Sam dead?

Also, anyone have a link to samwell.mp3? I tried searching for it a week ago, but the site where it used to be hosted seems to be gone.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

the light armor is actually fairly good approximation of how ancient/medieval infantry were frequently equipped in middle eastern climates

No, not really. At least in the Middle Ages, Middle Eastern soldiers were equipped with metal and padded cloth armor in various combinations the same as soldiers in Europe. And the Middle Eastern climate, discounting the desert and the Arabian peninsula isn't really that much different from what you get anywhere else in the Mediterranean. And generally people avoided doing anything in the desert if they could.

And leather armor as it so often shows up is more a thing in DnD then than it ever was in reality.

Randarkman fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 23, 2019

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

they used mail but it was less common. a lot of armies significantly emphasized light cavalrymen.

Mail was very common. You are buying into common misconceptions.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

since you've met me halfway with 'padded cloth' i'll meet you halfway and agree that parsing out relative quantities of heavy equipment ('common' vs. 'uncommon') is actually very difficult to confirm within the available source records. this article touches upon these issues and reaches several positive but simultaneously indeterminate conclusions.
https://www.academia.edu/20796560/Western_vs._Eastern_Way_of_War_in_the_Late_Medieval_Near_East_MSR_XVIII_p._301-325

The whole "Western Way of War" thesis that supposes that others did not seek out battle and did not equip themselves for it is kind of a bullshit one in my opinion.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Realistically an infantry like the Unsullied wouldn't have poo poo for armor.

Ring mail was expensive and full plate was exceptionally expensive.

Most samurai movies get it right, along with occasional movies like Braveheart. 98% of your forces are going to be wearing the same poo poo they wear while farming. Lords and knights and their personal retinue are the only ones that are going to have real armor (think the full-time Winterfell soldiers with helmets).

The Unsullied having uniforms is just a testament to their price as a hired army. Based on their numbers no one could afford to armor every Unsullied soldier unless they were raiding it.

But also it's a dumb TV show where the only lords/knights to ever wear a helmet were the hound for one scene and the kingsguard for aesthetic reasons.

For 8 seasons we've watched Jaime and Jon and Brienne rolling into shitstorm battles with their hair and makeup on point.

You are right about the armor thing. Mail and plate was more common for richer soldiers, typically cavalry (and don't even mention how expensive proper warhorses were), while infantry typically wore cloth armor and wore metal helmets and such.

You are wrong in assuming that pre-modern armies, especially from aristocratic warrior societies, were to any significant extent made up of drafted peasants given poo poo equipment. That's simply not true. Medieval armies typically consisted of feudal levies which consisted of nobles and their retainers, knights and sergeants (exactly what this means is often a bit uncertain but often seems to be full-time or part-time soldiers of the low nobility), professional or semi-professional soldiers, in addition to that you had mercenaries (as the Middle Ages drew on, mercenaries came to make up a greater and greater proportion of armies as kings came to prefer relying on full-time, often foreign, professional soldiers rather than the conditional service of feudal levies) who of course also were professional soldiers.

As a rule peasants were not armed and were not supposed or expected to fight. The couple of exceptions to this, such as the fyrd levy in Anglo-Saxon England, pretty much always involved free, land-owning peasants, and then only the ones who could afford the equipment and train to fight. A thing you also see in some societies are tribal auxiliaries of various kinds, especially in the Middle East, with Turcomans and Bedouin, though tribal warriors were by no means rabble or forced to fight (often they'd essentially be recruited and paid as mercenaries, so the distinction can become blurry) and could be quite well-equipped.

Urban militias are also a thing that happened, especially in Italy and the Low Countries, though again this was not tied to the nobility forcing them to fight or anything like that. Typically the opposite in that you had self-governing cities that fielded their military forces by equipping (often quite well by infantry standards) and training citizen militias (again soldiers typically had to purchase their own equipment so it's the actual citizens, the burghers, who are part of it, and not just drafted rabble and such).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

if you read further that hypothesis is merely broached as a preface to attacking it.

So what do you want me to read from that article? Searching through it it seems to mention at several points that heavily armored cavalry were important and prevalent in Middle Eastern, specifically Mamluk, armies in the time period. It also mentions an author, David Nicolle, who I've read quite alot of throughout the years (in particular because as a teenager, I bought and read a lot of the Osprey military books, especially the ones about medieval Islamic armies) in support of the article's arguments, which having not read the entirety of it, seems to be about how Islamic armies of the Middle Ages weren't all composed of lightly armed cavalry who avoided battle and close combat, but included several different types of military units and warriors from many backgrounds, including heavily armed and armored cavalry who had a prominent role.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Zane posted:

well one pertinent footnote (73) is that "a history of mail armor in the medieval islamic world is still unwritten." technical capability says little about the proliferation of the technology in question. which the sources--from everything i've read here and elsewhere--aren't capable of readily demonstrating. and which will prevent any definitive resolution of the original question--'standard' 'eastern' vs. 'western' infantry equipment--at stake. e: but does make the unsullied armor seem within the realm of plausibility on the whole.

The proliferation of iron armor and weapons, especially in Egypt and southern Syria was mostly constrained by availability of iron, rather than technology. Typically iron had to be imported. Though this more often meant that you saw continued use of bronze and copper and some other metals in places less related to specifically making weapons and armor (bands for helmets, metal scabbards, some mace heads, and so on would often be made of bronze or copper to conserve iron for instance). That said, within the military elite, metal armor, chainmail included was common enough, and co-existed (and was often worn together) with many other types of metal body armor such as scale and lamellar types, and later also types of plate armor (though in the middle east, plate armor pieces were more common for arm and leg protection than for torso protection).

I have never heard of leather armor like that worn by the unsullied being common in the medieval Middle East. Leather lamellar corselets (though metal ones were very common also) were a thing, typically among Turkish warriors (and often worn over or under chain mail armor when it appeared), though infantry and lighter armored troops were much more likely to have armor made from padded cloth (as was also the case in Europe).

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

fakeaccount posted:

wouldn't a guy whose balls were cut off lose all his testosterone and therefore not be very aggressive or strong or an altogether good warrior?

I believe this is mentioned in the book, as they are castrated when young they never go properly through puberty, it's also mentioned that they become fat pretty quickly and that they can't really match other trained warriors in 1-on-1 combat.

Also, I don't think there's any instance in history of eunuchs being used as soldiers. And even the whole slave soldier thing they do is kind of something that didn't really happened, there were historical slave soldiers, but it's kind of more accurate to say they were recrutied from slaves or through slavery. Upon becoming soldiers, their status was typically very different from that of slaves or even normal subjects in the state in question, in fact they were typically part of the military and administrative elite and were at or near the top in society.

The whole process of making Unsullied and how needlessly edgy and cruel it is (killing a puppy) is just completely ludicrous, can't remember if it's elaborated in the show, but in the books it is, and it's just so out there that it becomes silly.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

fakeaccount posted:

ok so they were literally giving away the ending in the very first episode. The night king is taking half his army to kings landing, and Bran is going to be engaging in some time-traveling/three-eyed-raven/warging into other people bullshit, and as half of the white walkers are blitzkreiging winterfell, Bran's body is going to be screaming "BURN THEM ALL! BURN THEM ALL!," which reduces the guy he's warged into, Aerys Targaryen, into a drooling idiot who just keeps screaming that until Jamie Lannister kills him 7 seasons ago.

HODOR

Yeah. That's probably what's gonna happen. There's still wildfire all over the city and Tyrion and Jaime knows about it and are going to find a way set it off.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

font color sea posted:

Honestly I sort of miss all those crazy fan theories that went around pre-show. Varys is a merman. Daario is Euron. Bran ate Jojen. Roose is the half-human immortal son of the Night King who impersonates people by stealing and wearing their skins.
Especially because the real story turned out to be much less interesting in comparison

Not a crazy fan theory, that one definitely happened in the book (at the very least the tree gnomes most likely killed him and did some sacrifice stuff to make Bran's magic soup). It's just that in the show they pussied out by having him killed by a puppet hand instead.

As I stopped watching the show long ago, what happened to Bran's "girlfriend"?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

He's in a wheelchair now?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

It kind of seems like this show is a piece of trash.

And there's 3 episodes left?

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Gendry should've been toast too
Bran and the NK both should've died together
Maybe also Davos dying defending the kids in the crypt

So he'd essentially be Judd Hirsch in the Independence Day sequel? Most likely Davos also bought a boat at one point.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

bloom posted:

Ep4: everyone being sad and talking, then they set off south with their army(most of who respawned in between episodes)
Ep5: big battle against some mercenaries who were introduced two episodes ago and Urine's teleporting fleet
Ep6: Cersei and Zombie Greg are defeated in their last stand at King's Landing, everyone stands around making "remember when" references for half an hour, John tells Danny she can have the iron throne in exchange for an independent north

Cue everyone talking about how epic and deep the show was for the next 100 years.

Or the spell is lifted and everyone realizes it was actually all garbage in the service of garbage (well, the first couple of seasons, I think until season 3, were pretty decent) like with Lost.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

TheManWithNoName posted:

Spoilers the white walkers magic is actually radiation based and every corpse was a walking irradiated zombie. The North is now a wasteland. Nuclear winter is coming.

nuclear winter isn't caused by radiation.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Wow. This is terrible.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Maybe Joffrey will come back.

Joffrey was the best.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Bobby Digital posted:

After the trenches were lit, and the wights hadn’t started crossing them and were just standing around...why weren’t there archers unloading on them?

Because everybody was an idiot.

In the end it turned out the Ice King was the biggest idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

poverty goat posted:

All of the crypt zombies were starks and we knew several of them so it's extra lazy to have them all treated like generic zombies, off camera

Even if they were on camera we wouldn't have seen them.