Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Star Wars: Rebel Sunrise
I’ve been itching to play some good old-fashioned rebel-themed Star Wars lately after seeing Rogue One a few months ago, and to brush up on my GM’ing, so here we are. A more detailed mission briefing will follow once the team has been put together, but here’s what y’all will need to know:

• Ruleset will be FFG Star Wars, specifically Age of Rebellion.
  • This will be a live voiced game over Roll20/Discord. Our target day will be either Saturday or Sunday (though Sunday is probably the more popular option), starting at around 5pm Central European time (4pm UK time, 11am NA East) and lasting for around three hours per session. Weekly or biweekly can be determined once the group has been set. The hours can be somewhat flexible.
  • Rebel-themed game taking place very shortly after the events of A New Hope.
  • Looking for 5-6 players.
  • For our first mission, I will be repurposing an old WEG D6 adventure module that looks like it would be both a challenge and a good narrative start for a group of freshly-minted Rebels, “Mission to Lianna.” We’ll see where things go from there.
  • Careers and specializations from Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion are allowed, including all splatbook specializations. No Force & Destiny characters (though the Force-Sensitive Exile and Force-Sensitive Emergent trees may be okay if you can sell me on it in the form of a good backstory).
  • All officially-published species (from splatbooks, core books, etc.) are permitted. If you want to do anything different, let me know and we'll see what we can do.
  • Players will take Duty, even if they are using an Edge of the Empire career/specialization.
  • Standard character creation XP. All characters automatically receive 1500 starting credits.

Along with your character concept, art, and sheet, please also post whether you prefer Saturday or Sunday, and if either day is a no-go for you. It'd be cool to know what timezone you're in too.

I’ll leave registration open until it looks like interest peters off. There’s been enough interest in the game between the goon FFGSW Discord and the main thread despite the timezone, so we’ll see how much interest a general recruitment brings out. If you don’t already hang out there, it would be cool if you’d also join the general Discord at https://discord.gg/hbwMdCB

Drone fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Jun 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Interest posting, I'd be able to do Sundays, and maybe the occasional Saturday.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
Frouuin Compt, Devaronian Spy/Infiltrator
(image)

Frouuin was just another kid on The Wheel, the daughter of a freighter captain and a shopkeeper. She started making deliveries for her mother’s electronics shop when she was just a small girl.

She was eleven years old when she started to notice that when she wore her delivery uniform, she was invisible. She could go anywhere on the station and people would always assume that she had a good reason to be there. She started small, wandering into warehouses and gambling halls. At age thirteen, she snuck into an Imperial facility for the first time. At age fourteen, she walked away with a power converter from a Lambda-class shuttle.

The Wheel’s gentrification was too much for the Compts. Frouuin’s mother closed the shop and left to roam the galaxy with her husband. But Frouuin wasn’t ready to give up her new hobby. She joined up with the Rebellion as an infiltration agent.

I’m in U.S. Mountain Time (GMT -7) and would prefer to play on Sundays.

echopapa fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Jun 2, 2017

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
Interest posting! I am on US Eastern time, can only play Sundays (not Saturdays).

Going to work on a PC tonight. Thinking about some kinda technician/engineer.

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

I'm interested, in US Pacific time zone, and available Sundays.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

See your face upon the clean water. How dirty! Come! Wash your face!
I'll give it a shot:

The name's Rowsdower. Zep Rowsdower! Ace Pilot and Force Sensitive Exile

Short Character Sheet
Expanded Character Sheet

Zep was a promising Jedi apprentice in the temple or Coruscant when Order 66 was initiated. In a shameful moment of panic he fled, leaving his friends to be cut down by Clone Troopers and the new Sith Lord, Anakin Skywalker. As if hearing their screams in his dreams as he escaped deep into the Coruscant Underworld weren't bad enough, Zep was also visited by the Force Spirits of his former mentors who both helped him evade capture and tried to spur him to action against Emperor Palpatine and his fascist regime. Tormented by the guilt, the boy started drinking to numb his connection to the Force, both silencing his mentors and making him more difficult to detect.

After a short stint with a blood-cult (mostly infiltrating them to find a way of Coruscant), Zep disappeared into the outer rim, working as a pilot for hire in order to keep up his supply of booze. But as he drowned himself in a life of booze and mediocrity, he could barely keep hearing the voices of Jedi before him trying to wake him up to a greater purpose. Soon his skills dwindled into almost nothing, leaving him as just another drunk and purposeless pilot.

During one of his jobs ferrying undesirables around the Outer Rim, Zep found a young boy stowing away on his ship. Zep helped the boy evade his pursuers (the same blood-cult he'd once been a part of) and shared a few adventures with him. Eventually the boy left to join the Rebellion, trying to convince Zep to join as well. Not wanting to get involved, Zep declined. He later found out the boy died during the Battle of Yavin.

Zep was once again plagued by guilt, but this time he vowed not to repeat the cycle. With renewed purpose he rid himself of his ship and set off to find and join the Rebellion. He swore his actions would not only avenge his friend, but also make him worthy to become one with the Force when his time came.

(I'm in the US, EST, and willing to play on either Saturday or Sunday.)

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Jun 2, 2017

Darius099
Dec 18, 2005

Ogion went on a halfmile or so, and said at last, 'To hear, one must be silent'.
I'll re-iterate as posted above: I am US EST (Eastern) and am available fairly consistently on Sundays at the listed time but Saturdays are a no-go for me as I am always doing stuff on them and the like. I've played and run some of the FFG system and love it so I want to get some more under my belt and have some fun.

Gunnis Bishop - Aspiring Tactical Fleet Commander & Engineer

Character Dossier

Character Sheet

Born into wealth and privilege, Gunnis lived in the upper echelons of Coruscant society with his father, a former Republic Fleet officer who joined with the Empire immediately after Palpatine's seizure of power. He was popular with his peers when he wanted to be, and excelled both with the paper tigers he found in private academy and the challenges and rigors he invented for himself.

For many years, Gunnis looked up to his father for his service with the Galactic Empire. His mother was difficult for him, because she always seemed to oppose what his father said. Every time he was there to talk about service with the Empire and how the Empire provided law and order in the galaxy, she was there to come behind him and quietly remind him to think for himself and suggest that he should always question the things the propaganda machine tried to feed them. But he saw the holovids the Empire wanted him to see, he overlooked the casual and structured racism that affected the few nonhumans he came in contact with, and he strove to be the best he could be for the thrill of the challenge. Her words never seemed to penetrate for him, and the glory and prestige his father the Imperial Navy Commander spoke of were all he could aspire to. Nothing made him more excited than the thought of surpassing his father, the Imperial fleet security officer.

For his young adulthood he grew in skill and knowledge, an education in the classics of (carefully curated) literature, science, and mathematics providing the background as his talents as a natural leader, technical designer, and engineer became his strengths. By the time he was graduating from the Imperial Fleet Academy to become a commissioned officer, he should have felt as if his life was exactly where it should be, but buried beneath his achievement and talent was a steadily hardening core of moral outrage.

His first assignment was aboard the Intractable, a Dreadnaught-class heavy cruiser, an incredibly old relic even when the Empire was first formed. His father pulled some strings to get himself assigned temporary duty there, which of course as a higher ranking officer brought his mother along with him. It was the happiest moment of his life, for about a week.

Then the Battle of Yavin happened.

Less than 24 hours after the Battle and the destruction of the DS-1 Orbital Battle Station, a meeting of all fleet officers, including the junior grades, was convened in the hangar bay. The senior Major in the Imperial Intelligence bureau gave a long speech about the horrors of what these "rebels" had accomplished. He then read off a name, and the acting security officer, his father, retrieved them. He announced that this person was a collaborator with the enemy, and had been part of this conspiracy of mass murder. Calmly, coolly, and without a second look at the panic and confusion on the face of the young man, his father shot him in the temple with his sidearm.

By the third person, Gunnis was sick to his stomach. Could this be the measure of any sane body politic? Was this what Duretto meant when he said "justice is nothing else than the interest of the stronger" in Old Republic?

His mind was whirling so badly he almost missed them call his mothers name. He almost missed the look of sadness on his Alderaanian mother's face as she looked to him the moment before his father shot her mechanically in the back of the head. He almost missed the subtle motion of the rebel sympathizer in the crowd of officers who tapped on his datapad and triggered an explosion in the hangar bay.

He escaped in the confusion, stealing a shuttle and jumping away. He was on the run with the last part of his mother that he had, the spirit of rebellion that she had tried so hard to teach him.

----

All points mutable with any changes the GM feels are necessary! Basically my dude is a leader and engineer, he thinks that the rebellion will need successful fleet ops (capital ships, materials, designs, officers, and tactics) to win against the Empire. He's a capable engineer, mechanic, and pretty good as a leader too. I took Commodore (Commander) and Mechanic (Engineer) to represent this and bought a variety of useful stuff to help the party out from a support role while also being able to contribute some blaster fire when push comes to shove. I wanted to try to do something unusual and create a character that could be a possible leader figure in a party but NOT be the pilot or whatnot, since that seems to be the most common path in most narratives.

Darius099 fucked around with this message at 08:42 on May 30, 2017

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Before we get too far into chargen, should we talk about expectations here? Are we looking for a beer and pretzels type game for funsies? Or are we trying to tell a relatively serious story? Do we want character cooperation or some interparty conflict?

Rolling!

Duty Roll: 1d100 68 - Sabotage
Motivation: 1d10 3 - Belief
Belief: 1d100 96 - Belief: Crime

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 21:34 on May 30, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

tokenbrownguy posted:

Before we get too far into chargen, should we talk about expectations here? Are we looking for a beer and pretzels type game for funsies? Or are we trying to tell a relatively serious story? Do we want character cooperation or some interparty conflict?

Rolling!

Obligation Roll: 1d100 68 - Favor

If allowed to play my be-mulletted, denim robe-clad, mystic Space Canadian I would personally love something not too serious as far as the tone of the table, but still trying to tell a somewhat serious story. I suck at interparty conflict so I'd vote against that. I say we work together to stick it to the Empire! Suck it, Palpatine!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I tend more towards a beer-and-pretzels direction, but with an okay amount of roleplaying. I'm not going to ask people to act out everything they do IC or anything, but it's nice when you do so, and I will probably take good roleplay into account with XP to some degree as recommended by the rulebooks. A party that can laugh at stupid poo poo happening is great, but it's equally great when that same party is also capable of cool story elements.

And on the silliness scale? Zep Rowsdower is great, but I'm gonna probably draw the line at stuff that goes really extreme like Skippy the Jedi Droid :v:

I'm not huge on interparty conflict, but if it's done with the consent of both players and makes for interesting story, go hog wild. After we get the party fixed, I'll probably throw out a couple seed questions for everyone to answer about themselves and the party members in a sorta vaguely-inspired-by-Dungeon-World thing, to help set up some of the group dynamic.

@tokenbrownguy: you'll all be taking Duty, no Obligation.

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 30, 2017

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Thanks folks.

I'm also down for something not so serious. On the other hand, I've played in a few discord TRPGs, and it's pretty easy for table talk to push the game aside. As long as we're all down to play the game and not just riff, I'm down.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Did I find this thread too late? I am very interested in playing! Only done the starter Edge of the Empire adventure before and I want to see more of the system.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Speedboat Jones posted:

Did I find this thread too late? I am very interested in playing! Only done the starter Edge of the Empire adventure before and I want to see more of the system.

Definitely not too late, recruit will stay up probably at the very least until the weekend.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Drone posted:

And on the silliness scale? Zep Rowsdower is great, but I'm gonna probably draw the line at stuff that goes really extreme like Skippy the Jedi Droid :v:

Thanks, eh!

EDIT: I'm also willing to adjust Zep to whatever we need. I was thinking he'd be suited for a shady, constantly on-the-run type who wouldn't want to stand out. So because of that I geared him for non-combat skills. I can just as easily make him a soldier-type or smooth-talker.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 30, 2017

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Definitely not too late, recruit will stay up probably at the very least until the weekend.

Awesome. Then, I'm glad I'm not too late! I'm in PST and while both days at those times are open for me, Sunday is probably better.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I'd love to join you guys if there's room. If there's a need for a combat character with a big gun, I can be that character. Or, I have an old F&D character that I can repurpose to be a Force-Sensitive Emergent since she was a big skillmonkey. Sundays work best.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 31, 2017

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hrakk the Maruader

Character Sheet

A thug and a bully, Hrakk wandered the galaxy for years as muscle-for-hire, hunting down the best fights and opponents in-system. After years of beating down tavern champions and local toughs, he became unsatisfied with his lot and strove for more. After a few months and many, many would-be challengers, Hrakk found himself in charge of a small gang. Ruling by right of might, he set up a extortion ring on a backwater colony. But when the Imperials moved into the system, there was no more room for small-time thugs. Those in his gang that weren't arrested fled, and Hrakk found his kingdom barren.

Now Hrakk works for the Rebellion, doing more or less the same work he did before. Hrakk recognizes the Imperials' methods as similar to his own: Violence and intimidation are a straight forward language which Hrakk speaks fluently. He sees the Imperials as a competing business interest, and relishes the opportunity to do any damage to their bottom line. He hunts down Imperial champions and high-ranking Imperial officers, breaking down the Imperials' best and brightest. While many idealists in the Rebellion find Hrakk's methods and motivations questionable, no one denies his efficacy.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Killbot posted:

I'd love to join you guys if there's room. If there's a need for a combat character with a big gun, I can be that character. Or, I have an old F&D character that I can repurpose to be a Force-Sensitive Emergent since she was a big skillmonkey. Sundays work best.

If you're thinking about being a force sensitive emergent my character could work on teaching you the basics. I plan on starting with sense, foresee, and augment at least. And my backstory suggests I learned at least the basics as an apprentice.

He's no Obi Wan (or even Kanen) but he can at least help with those first steps into a larger world.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 31, 2017

Ramba Ral
Feb 18, 2009

"The basis of the Juche Idea is that man is the master of all things and the decisive factor in everything."
- Kim Il-Sung
CST here Sat and Sun are fine, but I have a preference for Saturdays
Thuy "Delacroix" Tran

The air at Kaurava was oppressive. The groans of wounded permeated in the air. The Rebellion made an attack, boasted by the generals as a perfect maneuver, but the aftermath was clear: there were wounded laid out in an impromptu field hospital. the Alliance attack was more costly than it had to be. The aftermath was laid clear in the wounded laid out at the impromptu field hospital. There was one medic busy performing triage and letting the aides know which ones could be saved and those that couldn't. She also worked toward aiding wounded Imperial soldiers found among the wounded. She didn't care. A patient was a patient she told her commander. She wouldn't care if she got reprimanded over it. She was a doctor. Indeed, the Imperial soldiers treated her better than her own side. She found out that they were Imperial Army recruits from agricultural worlds who never seen anything more advance than a tractor, let alone an alien. One Alliance soldier catcalled about her tattoos. She made a note on him that he was to be skipped for morphine.

As the last of the wounded got carried away, she was finally allowed to collapse from exhaustion. She lit a lho stick and reminisced about how she ended up here. She was originally part of a planetary defense force for a planet in the Outer Rim known as Cepress. The planet only experience with the Empire was only in taxation and the eventual Imperial Army garrison that got rotated. Her unit, independent of the Imperial Army, decided to defect to the Rebellion, and being a loyal soldier followed her commander. Her unit eventually got whittled down, as she looked at the last body bag, to her. The last one she couldn't save.

The commanders talked of high ideals and sacrificing lives for some lofty goal, but this romanticism dies in the trenches she was in. In those trenches, there are miserable looking men who paint their helmets with UUUU. As she continues to reflect, she was now alone. Everyone she knew originally is gone. Feelings of hatred against High Command bubbled up, she wanted out of this conflict. Still, she her comrades that died. She didn't want them to die in vain. It wasn't pointless, was it? It couldn't be. She found a resolve to continue that tomorrow there may be peace.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Logistics questions for Force Sensitive Exile:

1) In theory, would I be able to gain new Force powers just by spending XP, or would I have to find a mentor/holocron to do so? If I can develop Force Powers on my own I'll probably spend more points in my characteristics.
2) Can I use my starting creds to buy a basic lightsaber hilt? It'd be a backstory prop and non-functioning, but I imagine down the road I may want to use it.
3) How many duty points do we start with? Need to know how many points I can spend on bonus XP.
4) Can I put a Stun-Only attachment on my holdout blaster and buy it for half price? I need them creds for something else.
5) Can I use one of my human bonus skills to get a single point in the Lightsaber skill? I figure this is a sunk cost until the GM allows me to craft my own saber.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

FuriousAngle posted:

If you're thinking about being a force sensitive emergent my character could work on teaching you the basics. I plan on starting with sense, foresee, and augment at least. And my backstory suggests I learned at least the basics as an apprentice.

He's no Obi Wan (or even Kanen) but he can at least help with those first steps into a larger world.

Digging it. Emergent it is! Will update this reply with my character once it's done.

Edit: Character sheet up. Alis Varuna, Slicer and Force-Sensitive Emergent.

Alis enjoyed a fairly average, if a bit boring, upbringing. She eventually managed to find some sort of adventure by getting a job on a bulk freighter, using her skills to help the crew deal with its temperamental computer systems. She got to see the galaxy and learn about the less upright parts of its societies, like from that time when the ship was inadvertently transporting some special agriculture.

One day it all changed. The nausea hit her like a brick as the ship hummed through the route’s final leg of hyperspace, and she went to rest in her bunk. She was about to drift off to sleep when the impacts started, jolting her out and onto the floor, headfirst.

Her stumbling trip to the cockpit was made all the more surreal by 1) the blood in her eyes, and 2) the klaxon’s wails combining with the crew’s panicked shouts, sounding like the end of the world. Appropriately, it turned out, when the viewport revealed that their destination, and her home, was notably absent from physical space.

These days she gets some semblance of payback whenever she slices into Imperial systems, feeding false information to obscure Rebel operations. She never imagined herself to be anything like a soldier, but she took to operations swiftly, even learning how to use a blaster. Her knack for detecting danger has saved her and her compatriots more than once.

She certainly wasn’t the first citizen of Alderaan to join the Alliance, and won’t be the last. Time will tell if she makes a difference, or becomes another simple casualty of the Galactic Civil War.

Killbot fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Jun 2, 2017

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Just putting it out there that I've never actually created a character in this system. I just used the pregen ace from the AoR beginner game. I just know I want to play some kind of character that has some piloting skill, so I was thinking smuggler pilot tree looks fun.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Speedboat Jones posted:

Just putting it out there that I've never actually created a character in this system. I just used the pregen ace from the AoR beginner game. I just know I want to play some kind of character that has some piloting skill, so I was thinking smuggler pilot tree looks fun.

Check this nifty character creator program out! Just click on the link, unzip the file, and play around with it. Also you'll want to set the source books to omit the Force and Destiny stuff to avoid accidentally making a Jedi.

The only downside is that the skills and talents aren't clearly defined. Other than that it's a pretty neat way of playing around with all the options.

Edit: I'm also willing to give advice if you want it. No doubt others are as well!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

FuriousAngle posted:

Logistics questions for Force Sensitive Exile:

1) In theory, would I be able to gain new Force powers just by spending XP, or would I have to find a mentor/holocron to do so? If I can develop Force Powers on my own I'll probably spend more points in my characteristics.
2) Can I use my starting creds to buy a basic lightsaber hilt? It'd be a backstory prop and non-functioning, but I imagine down the road I may want to use it.
3) How many duty points do we start with? Need to know how many points I can spend on bonus XP.
4) Can I put a Stun-Only attachment on my holdout blaster and buy it for half price? I need them creds for something else.
5) Can I use one of my human bonus skills to get a single point in the Lightsaber skill? I figure this is a sunk cost until the GM allows me to craft my own saber.

1) In theory yes, in practice probably you'd need a mentor of some sort beyond the basic stuff that your character already seems to know. You'll be able to improve in stuff you already know (practice makes perfect), but new stuff would need some kind of instructor/holocron/etc. Zep was only an apprentice when the Jedi fell. EDIT: I thought about it more on the train into work, and how would you feel about saying that the powers present in the non-F&D material are fine to be purchased with XP, but powers from F&D books and other adventure modules will require some way of "unlocking" them via story? Looking over your posts about the types of powers you mentioned you'd like to start with, that would leave you missing only Augment (unless Augment pops up in EotE/AoR material outside the core books... which I don't think is the case, but I could be wrong?).
2) If you want a nonfunctional backstory prop (like of Zep's training lightsaber or something), sure, and I can work it into a lightsaber construction 'questline' in the future. You wouldn't be able to buy a functioning one though. And remember that a lightsaber is a big shiny invitation for Darth Vader or the Inquisitors to hone right in on the party.
3) Someone asked in Discord, 10 sounds about fine.
4) Sure, go hog wild so long as it's only the holdout blaster and if your character has a reason to not want to inflict wounds on someone.
5) Sure, I think this could make sense given your character's background, but I'm not sure how old Zep would have been when Order 66 happened though. I usually assume an apprentice is pre-padawan stage. But see above re: the viability and danger of actually using a lightsaber. That being said, remember that the Force Sensitive Exile shouldn't be used as a backdoor to just playing a full-on Jedi.

Edit: some other stuff that was asked on the Discord yesterday:

1) The game will start with the selected PCs already having at least a passing familiarity with each other. At the minimum, you've probably seen each other around the Alliance base you're stationed at, etc. If you want to go for a deeper connection between PCs beforehand, definitely feel free to do that if you want. I'll probably be laying seeds for some basic preexisting relationships between the characters once the party is selected, by using a few vaguely PbtA-inspired questions that I'll ask each of you beforehand.
2) People asked about deadline and timelines for when we'd be starting. I'll be leaving the recruitment open until Sunday evening European time at probably around 9pm, so you have until then to submit characters. Assuming this is the case, I'll be shooting for our first game to be Sunday, June 11th.

Speedboat Jones posted:

Hop in the Discord, we'll be more than happy to help you out :) I'm generally online and semi-available pretty much all day my time, but the channel in general is a friendly and helpful lot.

Drone fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Jun 1, 2017

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Drone posted:

1) In theory yes, in practice probably you'd need a mentor of some sort beyond the basic stuff that your character already seems to know. You'll be able to improve in stuff you already know (practice makes perfect), but new stuff would need some kind of instructor/holocron/etc. Zep was only an apprentice when the Jedi fell. EDIT: I thought about it more on the train into work, and how would you feel about saying that the powers present in the non-F&D material are fine to be purchased with XP, but powers from F&D books and other adventure modules will require some way of "unlocking" them via story? Looking over your posts about the types of powers you mentioned you'd like to start with, that would leave you missing only Augment (unless Augment pops up in EotE/AoR material outside the core books... which I don't think is the case, but I could be wrong?).
2) If you want a nonfunctional backstory prop (like of Zep's training lightsaber or something), sure, and I can work it into a lightsaber construction 'questline' in the future. You wouldn't be able to buy a functioning one though. And remember that a lightsaber is a big shiny invitation for Darth Vader or the Inquisitors to hone right in on the party.
3) Someone asked in Discord, 10 sounds about fine.
4) Sure, go hog wild so long as it's only the holdout blaster and if your character has a reason to not want to inflict wounds on someone.
5) Sure, I think this could make sense given your character's background, but I'm not sure how old Zep would have been when Order 66 happened though. I usually assume an apprentice is pre-padawan stage. But see above re: the viability and danger of actually using a lightsaber. That being said, remember that the Force Sensitive Exile shouldn't be used as a backdoor to just playing a full-on Jedi.

Thanks!

1) By Augment I meant Enhance, and I think that's in one of the non-F&D books
2) Leaving questlines open is always great, and I relish the idea of us being stalked by an Inquisitor
3) Sweet
4) The reasoning is actually so I can afford the lightsaber hilt and a few pieces of basic equipment
5) Zep was like, 12. I just don't like the term "Padawan" so I'm using "apprentice" instead.

One final question, because I tend to want to spend my starting XP on characteristics:
If I don't have the basic Force power after chargen, I can still buy it via XP points after starting so long as it's in AoR or EotE? But anything that's in FaD I have to pick up via a mentor or holocron? Just want to be sure, because I know characteristics are so important and hard to buy once you get started.

The way I'm seeing it, Zep learned all the basics, but after being in hiding for 18 years he's gotten so "rusty" that he can't even use them. I was thinking I started with 1 out of 4 powers then with my first 30 XP I just buy the other 3. Does that work?

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

I know this might be far away in the story but you can always use the lightsaber stats from F&D to make laser swords a bit less lethal, at least off the bat. Lower damage, higher crit threshold, no Vicious 2. Those you can get only by modding the crystal, which can break if you royally screw up, the chances of which go higher the more improvements you try to cram in. And not having a Form (since we're not using F&D) mitigates what you can do with a laser sword.

On a side note, my F&D character had up to around 600 xp and only then started to feel somewhat Jedi-like. She was still very clumsy with Force powers. And she still couldn't keep up with our bounty hunter with his auto-firing heavy blaster rifle. (The game eventually got very boring for that person since all he did was roll tons of damage and destroy everything, every round.)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
There are also Ancient Swords and Training Sticks, which use the Lightsaber skill but aren’t lightsabers.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Hop in the Discord, we'll be more than happy to help you out :) I'm generally online and semi-available pretty much all day my time, but the channel in general is a friendly and helpful lot.

The invite link has expired! I used the character builder and I have what I think is a properly built human smuggler based on the character creation guidelines from the OP. I usually don't do a super detailed backstory with my RPG characters. I don't know if you want a more fleshed-out thing like the other goons have posted, but I usually aim for something more skeletal.

Diero Agosto is a smuggler from Nar Shadaa and an indentured servant to the hutts. While no fan of the empire who's looking forward to it being overthrown, he's always thought it wasn't his fight to get involved in and he just figured that it's impossible to escape his debt to the hutts anyway. But when the empire's reach harmed him personally and killed his co-pilot, he decided it was time to grow a spine, escape from the hutts, and join the rebellion.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Speedboat Jones posted:

The invite link has expired! I used the character builder and I have what I think is a properly built human smuggler based on the character creation guidelines from the OP. I usually don't do a super detailed backstory with my RPG characters. I don't know if you want a more fleshed-out thing like the other goons have posted, but I usually aim for something more skeletal.

Diero Agosto is a smuggler from Nar Shadaa and an indentured servant to the hutts. While no fan of the empire who's looking forward to it being overthrown, he's always thought it wasn't his fight to get involved in and he just figured that it's impossible to escape his debt to the hutts anyway. But when the empire's reach harmed him personally and killed his co-pilot, he decided it was time to grow a spine, escape from the hutts, and join the rebellion.

Here you go, this one never expires: https://discord.gg/hbwMdCB

How'd the Empire kill Diero's co-pilot?

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Drone posted:

Here you go, this one never expires: https://discord.gg/hbwMdCB

How'd the Empire kill Diero's co-pilot?

I'd see it as a deal gone wrong sort of situation. There was a smuggling run and there were storm troopers waiting at the handoff point. Does that work?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dem "Imp" Iona
Character Sheet

Dem didn't have much of a fancy story. Daughter to a just about average Imperial family, she kept herself down, going through life without much butting of heads, knowing that some arguments were pointless.
It wasn't until her mid-late teens that things did come to a head, her expression of pro-Alliance sentiment growing, and eventually spilling out. Her parents, bless their soul, hoped that by pulling a few favours and getting her a good, comfy job within the Imperial 'machine', she'd be placated, or even see the good in it all.
And so, her training done, to Kashyyyk she went, with all the mindset to keep an open mind. After all, training wasn't so bad, so hey, you never know.
It was far from long before all that came crashing down. The forces she was supposed to be a part of didn't even make a general attempt to hide or improve anything. The native Wookiees weren't 'volunteer workers' or even 'grudging assistants', it was pretty much just slavery.
She wasn't the only one to harbour such discontent, however, and soon enough she found herself at a good position within a small movement to defect. They bided their time, waiting for a good opportunity, and when it came, they wasted nothing in taking it.

Joining the Rebel Alliance was almost a complete transformation for Dem. Days after her vetting, she'd changed the way she spoke, her haircut, and even the way she stood, adapting the more relaxed, laid back manner that seemed to have always been there, all the way down to her name, having adopted the addition of the nickname "Imp", joking about her own small figure, and her origins. She was ready to contribute to the Alliance properly, happy and willing to lend the same talking skills that had helped her defect to the good cause, eager to fight the good fight, however that might be.

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

Updated post with backstory.

FuriousAngle
May 14, 2006

Updated character sheets, artwork, and backstory. Subject to change if I get selected. Could also switch from Pilot to Hotshot, since I noticed we had someone else interested in playing a smuggler/pilot.

FuriousAngle fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jun 2, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

are Gungans in a splatbook or only the unofficial menagerie?

edit: They're from Nexus of Power so all good, character incoming.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 2, 2017

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Mikra-Kerr, Gungan Big Game Hunter

Fed up with the insular nature of Gungan society, and filled with a desire to showcase his hunting skills, Mikra-Kerr self-exiled and lived the ex-pat life. Taking rich core-worlders out to exotic planets and helping them hunt the most dangerous game around. Generally that means that Mikra-Kerr does all the work, and the half-drunk core-worlders get to have their holo taken standing over the corpse. But, it pays well.

His last contract was too good to be true, double his usual amount for a quick jaunt to Dantooine to help some snobs hunt things that barely posed a threat? He'd take it. Too good to be true turned out to be true, as his passengers turned out to be Alliance intelligence on a scouting mission. Mikra-Kerr tried most of his life to avoid Rebel entanglements, since that usually meant Imperial entanglements.

This was no exception, and after a running ground skirmish with some Imperials, taking a shot in the leg and several of the Rebels risking their life to double-back for him, Mikra-Kerr's opinion changed and he began to finally feel a tugging sense of purpose.

edit: Saturdays are my best day, sunday is DnD day which granted isn't always every week but it would be a pain to juggle I think.

Elendil004 fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 2, 2017

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
Roger the Nerf Rustlin' Droid

The man checked the datapad one more time as he walked through the corridor. One last meeting today, a promising recruit. Outer Rim, from a more rural planet. Managed to hit all the expectations and herded nerf. Young idealistic farm boys were at least enthusiastic for the cause, and who knows, might be like that Skywalker kid and become some big hero over night. As the door slide open with a neat click, he looked up and the word "Hello" immediately got stuck in his throat at the sight of the nearly two meter tall B2 Super Battle Droid sitting in the room, draped in some colorful poncho with a hat sitting on its head.

"Oh, you must be th' man I'm meeting!" The droid stands up and saunters over to the dumbstruck recruiter and sticks his metallic hand out. "Nice t' meet ya, designation's B1-L3. Some folks call me Billy." Waiting a few awkward moments for the handshake to be returned, 'Billy' decides to finish it himself, grabbing the man's hand and giving it a few enthusiastic pumps. "Now I gotta say, I'm real excited to be doin' th' uh, long term job yer hirin' fer. Gotta whole lotta belief in th' cause y'know, gotta, do what we need an' I'm in it to win it, n'matter how long it takes."

A few slow blinks is all the recruiter can manage, before finally he can manage to make any kind of sound leave his throat, a weak "What." escaping his lips.

"Aw kriff, I shoulda known a rebel recruiter would see right through me. Alright, alright, I'll be straight witcha. I'm not B1-L3, I don't what my serial actually is, Gadon 'n' Jorel jus' called me Roger since they fixed me up. I'm here 'cause I ain't got many options left. The karkin' Marshals caught me an' the boys rustlin' nerf out on Lothal an' I needed to disappear, figure if anyone wouldn't pay no mind to a bit a livestock stealin' it'd be th' rebellion. Look I know ya should just bounce me outta here and not give me th' time of day, but gimme a chance, please."

"I... Hnnrgh. Look. Can you shoot a blaster?"

"Yessir, don't mean to toot m'own horn here but I'm a pretty dang good shot. Mostly varmint, but eh, some other... stuff too."

"....Fine, I'll get in touch with my superiors and see what they have to say." And once again the droid enthusiastically grabs his hand and vigorously shakes it

"Oh you will not regret this pardner!"

~~~

Sundays are the better day but depending on exactly when saturday I could make that work.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Reminder to anyone watching the thread but who hasn't yet posted a character application:

:siren: I will be picking the party in ~24 hours :siren: so post your stuff ASAP!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Bash Dalder
Character Sheet

In a bar in Cloud City sits a very, very tired man. He has greying hair with a few burn marks scattered across his face. Whenever his eyes meets with anyone sitting in the bar, they raise their glasses and give the tired man a solidarity nod. He mostly nods back.

The man's name is Bash Dalder. Well, that's what he calls himself anyway, his real name lost in space. A new face would guess him to be nearing his later years, but he's actually an extremely worn down 38-year old man. Born in an imperial household on Balmorra, Bash ran away at an early age to try and join the Rebel Alliance. But he lost his way and found himself stuck between freighter ships. He managed to get himself free by stealing a space ship of his own and came to realise his true calling and a way to passively help the Alliance: smuggling.

Bash has been flying ships for about 20 years and his trips have taken him to most corners of the known galaxy. Specialising in supplies that are definitely not for the rebels if you ever had the gall to ask, he has seen both the light and the dark side of the many inhabitants of many worlds. But he has always supported the Rebels while doing his smuggling work. Smuggling life isn't as glamorous as it's portrayed to be however, especially when smuggling rebel supplies: his rough, old demeanor is a result of the stress Bash has been put under while doing his best to not reveal his true nature for the Imperials.

But now Bash mostly sits in bars. He's tired, his exploits overblown (according to himself anyway) and while he understands why he gets the attention from new starry-eyed smugglers, he honestly just wishes to be alone. Do smaller jobs instead of jumping across the galaxy to save some small rebel outpost. Bash Dalder still have plenty of hyperdrive jumps left, but he kinda wish they aren't as stressful anymore.

[Player will be Carlioo]

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

"Gank", Soldier/Heavy

My rambling story is in the pdf. Namewise I spent a little time looking around for any canon gank names to use as inspiration (there aren't any, despite ganks appearing in the comics, novels, and histories, which is exciting) and was in the process of coming up with something silly and star wars sounding when I bumped into a discussion about how gank just go by whatever designation best applies to whatever they're up to, and real names are kept to the pack. I liked that idea, so maybe down the line I'll end up going by a callsign or rank or maybe if Gank decides that these rebellion folks are worth his real name we'll go with it, but until that time he's content to just have them call him Gank.

On the topic of timezone and game time, I'm US Central. Sunday is best, Saturday would work at the earlier of the times you posted- I have an every other week game on Saturday (which is West End d6 Star Wars just to keep things surreal) that starts at 1pm my time (in theory, never in practice) so your three hour window would end just as that begins, but it wouldn't be ideal. Sundays are vastly more open.

Azhais fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Jun 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

I want you all to know how rough these picks were. Thanks to everyone who posted an app and joined up in the Discord -- those who didn’t get picked for the initial group will definitely get priority in case backfill is needed!

Based on the party composition, it looks like we’ll be doing :siren: Sundays at 5pm Central European Time (11am Eastern), starting on June 11th (next week) :siren:. If you aren’t already hanging out in the Discord, go ahead and join up. We’ve got a channel specifically for this game under #rebelsunrise.

++==ATTN: FOLLOWING RECRUITS REPORT FOR BRIEFING==++
pre:

Zep Rowsdower (played by FuriousAngle)
	Ace (Pilot), Force Exile
Gunnis Bishop (played by Darius099)
	Commander (Commodore/Mechanic)
Alis Varuna (played by Killbot)
	Spy (Slicer), Force Emergent
Dem “Imp” Iona (played by Serperoth)
	Diplomat (Ambassador)
Hrakk the Marauder (played by tokenbrownguy)
	Hired Gun (Marauder)
“Gank” (played by Azhais)
	Soldier (Heavy)
++==URGENT COMMUNICATION==++
+=ALLIANCE TO RESTORE THE REPUBLIC=+

FROM: Alliance Intelligence Commander-in-Chief, Tion Division
SUBJ: Mission Recruitment and Parameters

Congratulations on being selected for your first assignment, recruits. We know you’ve all been itching to get into the fight, and with the recent destruction of the Death Star, you’ll all get your chance -- no more keeping bunks warm at HQ.

You have been selected as a team based on your skills, background, and entry evaluations. You should know that you’ve all come highly recommended by your individual recruiters. We’re looking forward to seeing how you work as a group.

Your first mission is fairly simple: delivery of an encoded datadisk to the world of Lianna, located in the Allied Tion Sector. The Allied Tion is firmly under Imperial control, but that is something we are looking to change. The area is vital to the war effort, particularly in the area of starship construction, as well as serving as a vital chokepoint along the Perlemian Trade Route. Its close proximity to Mon Calamari space provides yet another incentive to build up the Alliance presence there.

Once arriving on-planet, you are to proceed to a bar located within the starport in the capital city of Lola Curich - “Orman’s Sky Palace”. Ask to see someone named “Jenna”, and ask her how business has been. If she replies with “times are tough for everyone that’s not a pirate”, proceed with the handoff. Standby for further orders from the contact.

Lianna itself is a world of particular importance in the region, hosting the massive factories and headquarters of Santhe/Sienar Technologies, perhaps best known for its production of the Empire’s TIE-series of starfighters and shuttles. An active Alliance cell is located on-planet and will be eagerly awaiting the your arrival. Although the planet has strict rules regarding openly carrying weapons, and despite the large Imperial presence, the planet retains a strong grey market and smuggling community. Posing as a group of freighter pilots on a simple supply and repair run, you should blend right in.

In order to aid in your deception, Alliance Requisitions has made an old Anxartes-class light freighter available to you. She’s Clone Wars-vintage, but she’ll fly just fine. Being a Sienar-produced ship should help you even more with blending in on Lianna -- maybe you’re just another happy group of owners returning to the dealership for some maintenance. The IFF has been cracked wide open. Please decide upon an appropriate name for the ship and let Alliance Requisitions know before departing. They’ll update the IFF accordingly and make you look more legitimate.

Good luck, rebels. May the Force be with you.

SUMMARY: deliver datadisk to contact on Lianna. Contact located at “Orman’s Sky Palace” in the capital city starport -- ask for Jenna and speak codeword above for identification. Await further orders from contact on-planet.

++==COMMUNICATION ENDS==++

Drone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 6, 2017

• Locked thread