Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Thanks for the responses. That clears it up.

Anyone start campaigns off at higher levels? I was thinking 3 so people would have a few more trait choices and options with resources. Never been a big fan of level 1 D&D myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I haven't had a chance to run the game yet but when I do I'll probably start at level one, but do one level-up per session (or every other session) instead of the recommended one per three sessions.

Dec 26, 2012

Level 1 is a fine starting point, unlike D&D your stats don’t wildly increase over time. The biggest thing that leveling gives you are extra max resources/influence - if you’re aiming to advance them faster you might consider giving out more spare time opportunities if you want them to be anything close to caught up.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Anyone running a game that could use another player?

Dec 26, 2012

Bump from a main chat thread crosspost, I made a Fragged Empire -> Shadowrun hack:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WfLSmC7ZgMS883Bj0-c8-MGcMDYts5Cg/view?usp=sharing

I'd appreciate feedback on it if possible. If you'd rather not clog up the thread you can shoot any feedback you might have to fragged.shadows@gmail.com (or send me a PM). Gonna cross-post this to the FE thread in a bit too.

This does require you to have Fragged Empire (I wrote it in the referential style of Kingdom/Seas/Aeternum) so bear that in mind.

Spiteski
Aug 27, 2013

You gonna share this on the fragged discord server? They're pretty active and a good place for testing out homebrew.

Wade also posted his own 40k hack on there too if anyone likes 40k

Dec 26, 2012

Sure, probably, though I'm slightly skeptical about discord for asynchronous stuff.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

01011001 posted:

Bump from a main chat thread crosspost, I made a Fragged Empire -> Shadowrun hack:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1WfLSmC7ZgMS883Bj0-c8-MGcMDYts5Cg/view?usp=sharing

I'd appreciate feedback on it if possible. If you'd rather not clog up the thread you can shoot any feedback you might have to fragged.shadows@gmail.com (or send me a PM). Gonna cross-post this to the FE thread in a bit too.

This does require you to have Fragged Empire (I wrote it in the referential style of Kingdom/Seas/Aeternum) so bear that in mind.

I would rename edge to karma, personally.

So Riggers in this are much more "people with drones" than "people with crazy rides?". I suppose that makes sense, and also why you pulled out the vehicle skills.

I would also totally cram in the Outpost rules into this to represent you having a home base community you operate out of and rely on for a lot of your day to day needs.

I might add medicine heal rolls to the list of stuff low essence penalizes.

Races seem a bit flat and samey.

Dec 26, 2012

Edge is Edge because, well, that's what it is in (at least later versions of) Shadowrun and it fills the same role as Fate in FE. If I were to add an Influence-equivalent though it'd probably be Karma.

Riggers can be tricked out ride people too to some extent, there's at least one bit of cyberware for that! But yeah, in general making every basic archetype playable in infantry combat was a much more important priority so that's where most of their design thought went.

I considered adding the outpost stuff for that same reason but I couldn't get an implementation to stick that felt good to me so I dropped it. Nothing says it can't be plopped on top later though.

Regarding the Medicine idea I'm trying not to add too many other penalties to essence loss because it's already pretty nasty to have 4-5 skills be penalized but I've considered making it less of a hard "these skills" penalty and more of a soft "interpersonal stuff" penalty so that might be factored in for certain types of medical care (like extended/surgery).

Races are absolutely the bit I'm shakiest on because there wasn't a lot to work with in the base material. I might try to deviate a little from what the SR rulebooks say on that one because it's a pretty boring choice right now.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Have you looked at Fragged Kingdom Classic? It's got some existing 'standard fantasy race' statlines that might be reverse-engineerable. Or, wait, it looks like you did, based on the human writeup, nevermind!

Dec 26, 2012

Yep. The issue is that FK races assume that you have both a race and background so the races are a little cut and dried to use as a starting point.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, maybe add backgrounds? That'd be pretty cool (and more flavor than stock SR tends to provide).

I'll try to go over this in more detail this weekend. I'll hit you up at that e-mail. Looks pretty cool though, and totally something I would play.

Dec 26, 2012

I think they make more sense for just-fantasy because of the more explicit social class component of a fantasy setting, whereas in Shadowrun you’re defined to some degree by how off the grid you are. I’m gonna aim to bring the metatypes up to the standard of Empire core for sure though, they’re a bit lacking in that regard.

Happy to hear you like it! My weekly group immediately jumped on board too so I’ll have some direct feedback from that as well. Aiming to have a 0.2.1 out sometime this week that includes some of the result of this (and their) feedback and adds a character sheet.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

So GURPS Action has some lenses to slap on characters to flavor them (I did a GURPS SR conversion back in the day and used it heavily). They were supposed to be how you got your skill set. There were things like Security, Military, Intelligence, Criminal, Law Enforcement, Academic, Athlete, Journalist, Martial Arts Master, Rich Adventurer, Survivalist. So it was less "what is your class?" and more of "what did you do prior to the start of the game?" Or in this case "before you decided to start doing crime for money."

Dec 26, 2012

I considered the option and now Backgrounds are in (among other changes) - I used the Etiquettes from the Harebrained games as starting points for those. Also, as promised, there's a character sheet now.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C8Szmo9w1J0L2OWhiihl44Ngy8qWygp2/view?usp=sharing

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Question: Why is Ready Attack melee only? Is there any other way to do an xcom-ish overwatch range attack?

PoultryGeist
Feb 27, 2013

Crystals?
Dont mind me, responding to the wrong thing

PoultryGeist fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Nov 26, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

Crakkerjakk posted:

Question: Why is Ready Attack melee only? Is there any other way to do an xcom-ish overwatch range attack?

It’s both unless I printed something wrong.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

01011001 posted:

It’s both unless I printed something wrong.

Ah, I see. The asterisk is under the Thrown/melee bit, but I misunderstood and it applies to all attacks. Got it.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

How many Knowledges do you start with to buy spells and augmentations with?

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

And getting knowledge works just like Research, right? Spend a spare time point to study something appropriate to acquire Research Units/Knowledge on a 12 or less?

Nevermind. P68 of Kingdoms. Got it.

Crakkerjakk fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Nov 27, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

Gonna start running this for real today (if my group can get their poo poo together enough to finish chargen in a session).

Ratoslov posted:

How many Knowledges do you start with to buy spells and augmentations with?

4 Kn. This is something I swore I put in (because all of the pregens are built with it in mind) but now it's in for real (in addition to some other tweaks, v0.2.4 linked).

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1vLbaiI5icEFxFZqGk8V61-8sAfKJdpW4

Crakkerjakk posted:

And getting knowledge works just like Research, right? Spend a spare time point to study something appropriate to acquire Research Units/Knowledge on a 12 or less?

Nevermind. P68 of Kingdoms. Got it.

It's pretty similar to those rules on page 27.

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
Has anyone played around with the mech rules yet? I'm contemplating the idea of using them with for kingdom for science fantasy mech adventures. Are they pretty workable and worth focusing a campaign around? Also are the rules in hacked sufficient or would the diselpunk game be worth picking up?

neaden fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 14, 2018

Dec 26, 2012

neaden posted:

Has anyone played around with the mech rules yet? I'm contemplating the idea of using them with for kingdom for science fantasy mech adventures. Are they pretty workable and worth focusing a campaign around? Also are the rules in hacked sufficient or would the diselpunk game be worth picking up?

My group tried a few attempted combats with the mech rules in Hacked and they didn't feel great in my opinion. Mostly things just took too long because armor is pretty high, stability damage is pretty low for a lot of attacks, recovery is really strong, enemies don't just die at 0 to an attribute, facing is such a concern, and the various factors like stability, heat, individual damage, actions used for fast/slow turns, etc. got hard to keep track of. It looks like the rules in Dieselpunk are a little better because attributes are tied in a little mores strongly but they're largely similar.

Unrelated: here's FS v0.2.6, with some tweaks from a few sessions of playtesting and more to come. It's shaping up pretty well now. Once things have stabilitized tweak-wise I'll probably share it to the FE Discord or whatever to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tL-aD_F34OMJYidZjh1lRmaqY5oBa067/view?usp=sharing

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

01011001 posted:

My group tried a few attempted combats with the mech rules in Hacked and they didn't feel great in my opinion. Mostly things just took too long because armor is pretty high, stability damage is pretty low for a lot of attacks, recovery is really strong, enemies don't just die at 0 to an attribute, facing is such a concern, and the various factors like stability, heat, individual damage, actions used for fast/slow turns, etc. got hard to keep track of. It looks like the rules in Dieselpunk are a little better because attributes are tied in a little mores strongly but they're largely similar.

Unrelated: here's FS v0.2.6, with some tweaks from a few sessions of playtesting and more to come. It's shaping up pretty well now. Once things have stabilitized tweak-wise I'll probably share it to the FE Discord or whatever to get a fresh set of eyes on it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tL-aD_F34OMJYidZjh1lRmaqY5oBa067/view?usp=sharing

That's a shame, but not too surprising I've yet to find mech rules in an RPG I like. Thanks.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib

neaden posted:

That's a shame, but not too surprising I've yet to find mech rules in an RPG I like. Thanks.

It's still in active development, and I've not been able to play it myself yet, but I've heard good things about LANCER's mech combat.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3865179

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

01011001 posted:

How's your game going? Any lessons learned from running it for a bit?

Dec 26, 2012

Pretty well! A big thing is that good armor being PC-accessible means you’ll have to use guns of 4+ crit for firearm crits to mean anything to PCs, I mostly consider that a feature but it bears noting.

It’s a little too easy to make a useless combat/assault spell which makes me sad. Not much to be done about it though.

Melee is pretty scary, I might tone some aspects of it down a bit because a skilled enemy with hand razors did horrific things to one of my PCs. I’ve started to draft out a 0.2.7 with some tweaks to things like damage and making surgery a little easier to use for cyberware (3+ spare time points to acquire the ‘ware and get work done is too much for practicality).

I’m gonna be trying to get them into situations where they fight less metahuman enemies so I can see how things like Spirits pan out. Also they’re getting into a car chase one way or another.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

01011001 posted:

Pretty well! A big thing is that good armor being PC-accessible means you’ll have to use guns of 4+ crit for firearm crits to mean anything to PCs, I mostly consider that a feature but it bears noting.

It’s a little too easy to make a useless combat/assault spell which makes me sad. Not much to be done about it though.

Melee is pretty scary, I might tone some aspects of it down a bit because a skilled enemy with hand razors did horrific things to one of my PCs. I’ve started to draft out a 0.2.7 with some tweaks to things like damage and making surgery a little easier to use for cyberware (3+ spare time points to acquire the ‘ware and get work done is too much for practicality).

I’m gonna be trying to get them into situations where they fight less metahuman enemies so I can see how things like Spirits pan out. Also they’re getting into a car chase one way or another.

Cool. Especially on melee being burly. What do you mean about a useless combat spell? Crit damage too low?

Any chance I could e-mail you and get the source file? I was planning on tweaking it a bit more and using it for an Empire game, name swapping magic for psionics, keeping augmentations, and adding one or two skills.

Dec 26, 2012

Yep, crit damage too low. My player went acid assault shotgun which is 1 crit...I’m considering putting a hard floor of 2 crit so they’ll usually do something.

I want to get things in better shape (and run it by the Fragged discord) before sending the source out for editing. fragged.shadows@gmail.com is up and running though, hit me up and I’ll hook you up with it when it’s ready.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

01011001 posted:

Yep, crit damage too low. My player went acid assault shotgun which is 1 crit...I’m considering putting a hard floor of 2 crit so they’ll usually do something.

I want to get things in better shape (and run it by the Fragged discord) before sending the source out for editing. fragged.shadows@gmail.com is up and running though, hit me up and I’ll hook you up with it when it’s ready.

Cool, e-mail sent.

I had something similar-ish happen in GURPS when I was running SR in that system. Shotguns firing buckshot and frag grenades didn't do much when pretty much everyone but the lowliest Corp drones had at least lightly armored clothing that covered most of their body. All the small light stuff would just flatten against most people's clothes. Which some players had problems with.

It does look like all the default is pretty much minimum 2 crit. The only stuff in Empire Armory with Crit 1 is like stuff that's supposed to be stun weapons or with linked effects that are the real threat.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Fragged is the new Bundle of Holding

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

How well would this work as a one-shot or short game? I have a small period in between major arcs an I'm eyeing "Let Sleeping Gods Lie"...

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Moriatti posted:

How well would this work as a one-shot or short game? I have a small period in between major arcs an I'm eyeing "Let Sleeping Gods Lie"...

Pretty much the first thing FE tells you in the core book is that it's designed for long, sandbox campaigns.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Pretty much the first thing FE tells you in the core book is that it's designed for long, sandbox campaigns.

RIP to that idea then!

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

I mean, it's fine as a one-off based on like tactical combat if that's what you want, especially with pre-gens.

Just a lot of the mechanics really only mean anything in longer games.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I'll just sit on it until we can do a longer game.

Dec 26, 2012

Bumping with the most recent Fragged Shadows version because someone in the CSPAM game thread reminded me I haven't updated this thread with it in more than a month. Been playtesting it with my group and it's coming along nicely. Made very significant changes to Augmentations and Vehicles especially.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1okQq3X18YYyzdqORrJz1NZZgel-gknKC/view?usp=sharing

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

01011001 posted:

Bumping with the most recent Fragged Shadows version because someone in the CSPAM game thread reminded me I haven't updated this thread with it in more than a month. Been playtesting it with my group and it's coming along nicely. Made very significant changes to Augmentations and Vehicles especially.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1okQq3X18YYyzdqORrJz1NZZgel-gknKC/view?usp=sharing

Thanks, I'll have look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Does the Freeze strong hit from Cryo-Gel stack?

For that matter, what is the default assumption with regard to status effects stacking? There is no exception that proves the rule, some effects are marked (stacks) or (stacks up to X times), some are explicitly marked (does not stack) and some aren't marked at all.