Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
I've been thinking about this for a little bit now and I cannot decide whether or not television is a soul sucking idiot box that kills creativity and spreads selfishness and misinformation OR whether it's a cool and good way to tell stories and teach people neat poo poo. in the US, "football" "big bangs theory" and "walken dead" are the most popular shows on television. there are multiple shows dedicated to discussing ofher shows, shows discussing the news, shows discussing how other shows discuss the news, etc. we have entire fleets of networks based on the goings on of celebrities but also channels about fishing and how to bbq. people are also spied on through their televisions which seems not so cool and good unless you're a pretty imaginative exhibitionist

so idk what to think what else is on tv?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Mlhnt0jMlg

They need to replace Sophie Turner (Sansa) with Eline Powell (fake Sansa) right away.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Better Call Saul is a good show

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Television is bad and lol if you wait week after week for a new episode in the era of Netflix and Hulu where you can just watch the whole season/series in a week or two.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
It's both. It's very bad and ruins peoples attention span but it's also very good and lots of shows tell stories worth hearing. In conclusion, read a book.

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Television is bad and lol if you wait week after week for a new episode in the era of Netflix and Hulu where you can just watch the whole season/series in a week or two.

There's a bunch of sites that just give out literally all the TV shows and movies ever made completely free

Even live sports ball streams can be found if you take half a minute to look for them

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

I'm watching a rodeo on tv right now i'd say tv is still cool & good

hosed up that these cowboy ppl wear helmets now tho

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Jim Barris posted:

In conclusion, read a book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlKL_EpnSp8

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Zorodius posted:

I dunno.. it sounds kind of pushy :( maybe if it was called you might call saul, if that's what you want to do

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Zorodius posted:

It feels so much slower than BB, yet somehow I'm entranced every week.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I suspect what you're really upset about is the realization that most of the population is in fact boring idiots but that's not TV's fault really.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

It's a living.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
TV has sports though

goethe.cx
Apr 23, 2014

tv

Drad_Bert
Jun 26, 2013

by Smythe
Tee

Vee

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
turn off your monitor and turn on your other monitor

Benjamin Danklin
Jun 9, 2017

Fargo

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
All I watch are episodes of Star Trek: The Next Generation and Star Trek: Deep Space Nine on Netflix. gently caress the rest of it.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Once upon a time, people had to plan around when their shows came on. It was mad primitive. Now, we can torrent our favorite shows and watch at our convenience.

BONE DOG
Jun 7, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Most tv is total garbage. Cable should be a la carte and you should be able to get individual channels for a reasonable price. I would ten or maybe fifteen channels because thats all i ever care to watch. Who needs thousands of poo poo channels?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
No, it is bad.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
Tv can be good
But it's normally p. bad
Watch Community

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Gungan Sex Toys
Jun 21, 2017
tv ok.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

are you the guy that likes to post lots of Fluffy Ponies comics? I don't remember

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
No, and I really should've known better than to google "fluffy ponies comic"

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

ElectricSheep posted:

I am sorry. I mistook you for "Sheep-Goats." I remember now.

Gungan Sex Toys
Jun 21, 2017

ElectricSheep posted:

How did it make you feel?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Sports are good. Also NatGeo still has some pretty solid animal/nature documentaries. Bizarre Foods with Andrew Zimmern loving rules and his less weird Bizarre Foods: Delicious Destinations is still a cool show. Also the news is on TV. I also like to watch Jeopardy. Impractical Jokers on TruTV is also cool and so is Outrageous Acts of Science. The latter isn't exactly high thinking but it is videos of people doing some pretty loving cool poo poo and some educated folks explaining how it works (often it's obvious but occasionally they've got a bit on there that's really godamn weird). Also sometimes you get some good miniseries shows. Taboo with/by Tom Hardy was pretty drat good and I think it's actually got a second series greenlighted, but I'm not sure.

But yeah, that vast majority of TV is complete loving poo poo. I mostly just cruise through the channels and see if there's anything good before I try streaming services I subscribe to.

I'm also prone to occasionally "watch" complete garbage and reruns of good stuff just to have something on in the background while reading. I find that occasionally looking up from a book and watching something far more distant from your face occasionally while reading helps reduce eye strain.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jun 22, 2017

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Tee vee good

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 22, 2017

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I love TV but I don't watch cable, ironically enough. Never been a flipping kind of guy and I mean, like this guy said

moose face posted:

Most tv is total garbage. Cable should be a la carte and you should be able to get individual channels for a reasonable price. I would ten or maybe fifteen channels because thats all i ever care to watch. Who needs thousands of poo poo channels?
if anyone has a real interest in TV as more than just a background drone they don't really need a cable subscription because it's paying for thousands of hours worth of content they'll likely never watch. It just makes more sense to pick out the good stuff for yourself and watch it at your leisure if you don't care about the daily minutia poo poo like news and sports.
I really need to get around to watching the rest of The Wire. now that's good television.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Starman Super DX posted:

I love TV but I don't watch cable, ironically enough. Never been a flipping kind of guy and I mean, like this guy said

if anyone has a real interest in TV as more than just a background drone they don't really need a cable subscription because it's paying for thousands of hours worth of content they'll likely never watch. It just makes more sense to pick out the good stuff for yourself and watch it at your leisure if you don't care about the daily minutia poo poo like news and sports.
I really need to get around to watching the rest of The Wire. now that's good television.
you get hundreds of channels that are just pure poo poo.. I don't know that anyone watches those. they're just to pad out the number of channels to make it seem like you're getting a good deal. I bet half of them are just a still image of a clown's rear end when you go to them.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

a hole-y ghost posted:

you get hundreds of channels that are just pure poo poo.. I don't know that anyone watches those. they're just to pad out the number of channels to make it seem like you're getting a good deal. I bet half of them are just a still image of a clown's rear end when you go to them.

You'd be surprised at how right you are.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

I enjoy plenty of TV series but I think its common knowledge now that actually watching TV, on TV, in general sucks

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
There are a few good shows but the idea of adjusting your life around a tv schedule is laughable when the internet exists.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Have Blue posted:

There are a few good shows but the idea of adjusting your life around a tv schedule is laughable when the internet exists.

Also a DVR doesn't cost a shitload of money.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
I like channel surfing. Can't do that on Netflix or Prime.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Honky Dong Country posted:

Also a DVR doesn't cost a shitload of money.

DVRs are obsolete too hth

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Have Blue posted:

DVRs are obsolete too hth

It records poo poo I wanna see which I then push a button to watch later, rather than finding it on the internet with possibly questionable quality or waiting for an entire season to get released to a streaming service. Seems to work just as well if not better than or alongside current alternatives like streaming services.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This is what it's boiling down to so I'm just going to state my opinion.
Watch:
Seinfeld
NewsRadio
Frasier
Cheers
The Office (both of them)
Extras
The Ricky Gervais Show
The Wire
30 Rock
Mr. Show
Human Giant
The Simpsons, at most up until it goes all digital.,
King of the Hill
Bob's Burgers
Home Movies
and of course Arrested Development & Community

these are just some favorites of mine. Feel free to disagree. I know you all will.

e: bearing in mind I am a young and self-proclaimed tv comedy expert

• Locked thread